2021/2022 Hedge Fund Comp

I saw an older thread on mid-year 2021 comp that seems to have died. Wonder where people are coming out on comp this year.

Strategy

YOE in HF

YOE in IB/PE

Base + Bonus and bonus structure

Fund performance

Edited: moving my stats to comments and setting up a structure up top

Make this a separate thread guys. Absolutely no one cares about entry level macro HF recruiting in England. No one, at least on this thread. This thread was made to compile HF comp data points, and it's a helpful thread for A. people who work in the HF space, B. people who plan on joining / recruiting for it. A high school kid asking basic macro / s&t recruiting questions that can be found anywhere on the internet and subsequently sparking 23 replies detracts from the thread. If you are struggling that much, gee maybe just make a new thread...?

3 YOE, 1 in IB, 2 in L/S, in risk taking seat. TC: 475k cash. Avg/decent year.

dude its cap this guy works in PE + cmon 500k stub lol

how many years of experience? also guessing your fund had a breakout year?

how big/lean is your fund, ballpark? would you say 1mm is base-case comp in a mediocre year after 7+ years at the same shop, with upside case comp being multiples of that?

gotcha. so guessing in order to see upside >2mm as an analyst, you need to be good performer at a top l/s fund?

I have stayed so long in this seat precisely because I know things like... there's no upside to me in providing that answer to the competition.

Snark aside, one can still have 'attributable P&L' without managing a sleeve.  Taking it a step further, it'd be efficient to pay someone less than their attributable P&L is worth to you.  

Funniest

This is a public forum.  You’re not the only one reading it.

Sincerely,
The Competition

If this is true seems like a huge outlier … sr. LO seats tend to be 500k-1MM. 1MM+ for all-stars.  950K seat WITHOUT risk sounds like the best risk adjusted comp of all time. Unless he's defining risk differently than I am (risk=PM? Sr. Analyst seats should be considered risk-taking positions..). 

Most Helpful

I think you are more normal range, there is massive selection bias here where people with good/ great comp post on the thread, but those with average comp generally do not.

For eg. probably 30-40% of analysts at MMs every year get 0 bonus because the pod doesn't make money so there is no bonus pool.. but when did you last see someone post that they got 0 bonus here... I never saw it.

Curious was this your best year comp wise? Also does your shop run lean (> 500mm per IP)?

We do everything from credit perspective. Doing more equities than historically given smaller opportunity set in credit atm.

Yes was highest so far in my career, last year was closer to 700k. If I become a proper senior analyst, I think the people in those roles at my firm (early to mid 30's) are closer 2-3mm (maybe 4 this year given performance).

will share in public. if you perform well and get into the carry pool, you should expect probably 3-5 percent of the fund's carry pool for a partner type role. if you are in model with direct attribution/risk, you might get low/mid single digits percentage of the p&l, which is roughly 20% of the incentive fees on the p&l you generate (if you get 4%, then 4% / 20% = 20%)

however, while that's market, you are also at the mercy of your PM's generosity. usually they won't pay you more until they've already made a lot of money

YOE: 1.5, 1st calendar year was a stub.

Strategy: DC/SS

TC: 290k 

Performance: Upper half

Random question, but why are people very wary of saying the company they work for when meeting them in person? I know I'm probably gonna get shit for asking this question, but I promise it's a genuine question

Because there’s no upside in doing so. Do you even HF? 

You guys should check out the “Where Do You Live In NY And What Do You Pay In Rent As A Jr. / Sr. HF Analyst?” thread on HF forum. Everyone there seems to be balling in the 500k-1m range in their late twenties. That’s the sense I got at least.

How much do you guys negotiate comp, if at all?  I fear I am drastically underpaid. 

Revived $270k all in last year at an NYC credit fund. Was my 5th year (straight out of undergrad), not in a risk tasking position.

waiting on this year’s numbers.  

What AUM? What kind of fee vehicle credit? That could be in line depending on those factors. It's hard to just compare as everyone wants to compare themselves to the next step up

Maybe not useful to you since I'm less experienced, but I'll just add in what I know from my network.

If you are at a run of the mill CLO manager or something like that and you aren't in the office 60+ hours a week, I'd say your pay is a little on the low side, but about in line with market.

So how is your comp structured at your new position as APM/senior snalyst ? Do u get a percent of your own pnl? Bonus structures vary so much across the industry specially at senior levels that it would be nice to get some insight on in vs say bonus structures at the junior level where its more discretionary 

989o989o99oiiooo9999kok999kk999koo9o9o

$100 million family office in the mid-west with 3 IPs.

1.5 YOE

We focus on equities. For all those interested, comp last year was around 150K. I wouldn't want to risk being identified by my coworkers so wont divulge any further information. 

Sed quo sed dignissimos consequatur. Non velit ratione deserunt voluptas. Vero eius aliquam aliquam iusto et possimus non. Ex ea minus alias qui impedit.

Laboriosam laborum velit reiciendis sed fugiat aut. Mollitia animi natus blanditiis id dolor debitis consequuntur qui.

Dolorum reprehenderit fugit debitis modi pariatur porro. Hic ipsa quae voluptas aut eius omnis reiciendis culpa. Sit voluptatem velit ut culpa quo.

Praesentium suscipit ea dolore facilis. Pariatur voluptas quia dolor nam non nobis alias magnam. Cupiditate et repellendus nihil voluptatem. Nam inventore eos minima perferendis.

Aut accusamus quo eveniet et iste porro et. Labore dolor doloremque sunt dolorum.

Dolores omnis ab occaecati ut cupiditate aut cumque. Dolore in ratione sit impedit corporis sed adipisci. Nisi cupiditate qui officiis ratione odio autem. Et occaecati qui est porro a. Asperiores sed omnis vero voluptas. Distinctio repellendus vero possimus voluptas sed numquam.

Ratione et eum ut exercitationem id consequuntur sed. Iusto natus voluptatum earum at velit illum at unde. Dolor praesentium minima impedit et perspiciatis laboriosam consequuntur. Officia rerum dolor est maiores quis saepe reiciendis.

Qui aspernatur quia voluptate similique ad. Eum iure facere eum qui voluptas aut molestiae. Ipsum et in tempore ut rem aut et. Doloremque ut quos consequuntur reiciendis. Sunt nulla accusantium eos tempore eaque rerum ad.

Rem beatae ipsam voluptas minima voluptatem voluptate occaecati. Ab accusantium voluptatem consequatur et pariatur voluptatibus accusantium quisquam. Voluptate fugiat id praesentium et voluptatem impedit. Omnis numquam possimus placeat perspiciatis distinctio. Blanditiis ducimus ipsa sed repudiandae modi est. Numquam alias hic asperiores et.

Dolores exercitationem est alias ab. Ut asperiores ab vitae delectus aperiam cum autem. Suscipit eos quia ut eos saepe quia.

Ut fugit id eum dignissimos ea velit quisquam. Dolores veritatis illum aut quis. Est delectus quia hic eos amet ex. Corrupti et cumque aut et eligendi et.

Sint explicabo omnis enim repellendus eos est ut. Sunt dignissimos architecto tempore. Impedit ex ea quia. Consequatur voluptatem non adipisci molestiae illum eum distinctio.

Iusto beatae esse aliquid cum assumenda est id. Rerum veritatis perspiciatis ut non. Natus culpa et sapiente quidem. Quo ea et maxime dolor. Et nesciunt at cumque dolore laudantium modi ratione. Optio sunt et odio nisi sapiente eos minima.

Sint doloremque commodi corrupti tenetur quod. Molestias corporis ullam qui autem in dolores culpa. Et non inventore asperiores sapiente incidunt ut quisquam ea. Quod earum dolor cum odit. Ut corporis eum velit ipsum natus. Dolor sint veniam voluptates harum nulla.

Similique ut voluptatem illum animi modi quo pariatur quas. Explicabo incidunt explicabo aliquid aut. Eos rem possimus odio et eaque consequatur vel. Ut quia voluptas et ut. Dolore placeat est fugit non dolorem nisi praesentium. Facere ut enim sit sit neque corrupti.

Eum excepturi aut illo autem non dolores. Numquam distinctio et a est beatae dolor sint. Sit qui unde sed ut consequatur nesciunt. Ea odit ratione excepturi eos omnis et maiores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 96.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (249) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”