HF 2025 Bonus Thread

Haven’t seen one of these for HFs this year so thought I’d start.

1st year in pod shop, joined in 2Q. (3 YoE)
-$350k total comp, not much PnL responsibility yet

Interested to hear y’alls. Make sure to add years of experience. Hoping everyone had a great year!

166 Comments
 

Hey, very interested in special sits/event driven, can I ask what your background was joining your fund and any tips for breaking into the strategy?

 

Can you give an AUM/IP figure? Any idea of fund levg? Are you just doing public distressed or some DL as well? Either way, congrats to you, hope you get that $B.

 

Principal in HF - Event

$3.0mm this year. This is my 6th year on this team, 7th year on the buy side, and 10th total YoE. This is my best year so far, but every year I’ve seen YoY increases.

Strategy is SM distressed, special sits, and event-driven, with a very wide overall mandate. Performance across vehicles ranged from good to great.

Do you feel like you got paid from your hundreds of milion P&L that you generated in the last few weeks of 2024 from last years thread? 

 
Funniest

Associate 3 in PE - LBOs

At these comp levels, why would anyone not want to work at a HF? Seems like a guaranteed path to mid 7 figure net worth in a relatively small amount of time… 

The red dots are most people sharing. 

"If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion
 

EV of the career is at best in line with other similar careers if you have the chops/background/aptitude to get into a decent HF. You are just seeing the top end of the distribution here. Plenty of donuts / 250-300k years for a lot of people. Or you get kicked out and can't get back into the industry.

You could be late 20s working at FAANG making $800k - 1mil with stock appreciation and a more applicable skillset. Far more of these people than HF.

 

4 total YoE (2 in PE post college, 2 at current fund)
750k base + 1.2mm bonus

No way. Anything is possible with the bonus, but 750k *base* at 4 yoe? Not possible at a HF. At every fund I've worked, no one (and I mean literally *no one*, not even the billionaire founder CEO himself) has a base salary that high. The sky's the limit for the bonus, but the base is always capped at like 250 or 300 or something.

  Maybe a bank might pay a base salary that high, but not for 4 YOE.

 

Looking at around $2M I think - nothing formal yet.

It’s my 4th year in the industry, although I had another unrelated career previously.

Team made about $120M. I was responsible for about $35-40M of that under direct coverage. Strategy is special sits/event driven.

The number is on the low side as a percentage basis, but the fund offers much wider risk limits than pods do, so I wouldn’t have been nearly as profitable in a pod structure. Not sure how to balance those two factors. It’s a lot of money either way for a fairly easy job, so I’m fairly satisfied.

 
Most Helpful

Adding a realistic one to keep this thread grounded

SM HF, 4 YOE but first year at this shop. We are up 50%+

$150k base + $150k bonus

Last two years (C/M/P pod)

175k base + $100k severance (team blown out - not by me)

$175k base + $75k bonus (really got fucked by my PM this year)

This job has been frustrating from a comp perspective.

 

putting those middle school math skills to use, after compiling the numbers posted so far we get a distribution of outcomes with a mean of $1.2M and a median of $175k.

Not even factoring in the obvious sampling bias yet, and this actually does a decent job of reflecting the industry and showing why its a ridiculous question to ask what the 'usual' HF comp is... looking at you, PE tourists

now lets all go back to swooning over the fat tail

 

$10bn+ SM L/S

2023: $500k

2024: $650k. Was also a good year (better than 25’), and I had expected at least a million

2025: $800k. Pretty pissed. We had a solid year and I was responsible for a good chunk of PnL. Thought I deserved a few million

2026: probably leaving to a pod. Learned the hard way twice and underestimated how low value analysts are to CIOs

Before HF I did 2+2.

 

For what it’s worth, I had a similar trajectory at a SM HF in the $1-10B range. Comp was range bound for past two years after 2+2 at around $500K-$1M. Fairly sure I would have gotten the same even if performance was bad so there is a trade off in terms of protected downside / capped upside. I’m honestly okay with this as long as comp steadily increases going forward.

 

Are you talking about SM performance (returns) or pay outs to IPs? I’m guessing somewhat both, but anything specific around why that performance lags? 
 

 

Investment Analyst in HF - EquityHedge

What’s your net worth? Any advice you would give to someone much younger that’s entering a similar comp trajectory (1-3m)? I have averaged 1.5-2.5m and think I should stay in this range for a while until I become a PM.

Would you do anything differently with your PA/deferred election?

About 10. I have enough to retire, given my spending. Will probably work for a couple more years. I'm pretty boring in my PA.

Best advice is to not spend like you're going to average 2 mill a year. These jobs can disappear from under you.

 

Most places offer low to mid single digits % of the firmwide carry pool to their partners. Can be fixed or have a jump ball component. Might depend on how big the fund is, like higher % if smaller fund and vice versa, and whether you joined closer to when the fund was started. Assuming fund is of some scale, would expect target comp in a decent year to be $1mm+. YMMV, but general round numbers.

 

1st Year. Systematic FX single manager. 250k bonus (hit my 1st-year cap in May, really stupid to cap the bonus imo) (+125k base, for total of 375k comp, all cash). We did really well this year but as a 1st yr my comp has zero beta to performance

 

I performed well in my coverage, my most senior guy did great, second guy was meh, and newest junior obviously is still just doing blocking and tackling mostly.

Formulaic plus a buck or two for my most senior guy for being with me from day 1 when I wasn’t a PM (came outta my pocket).

Second guy didn’t do so hot (up +lsd% after flat last yr and generally a tougher space), but massive process improvements in my eyes after taking in my feedback. I still have him on an upward more fixed scale and his choice whether to go more formulaic or not as he’s year 3 now. But big implied pay bump in $ terms.

Junior who isnt super young but junior in this job took a large pay cut expectation to join me - I made him whole plus some as sign of good faith (also outta my pocket).

 

Ehhh all the associates at my old firm have mid ass careers because the PE shop failed to raise its next fund. Some associates had to lateral thus extending their junior period by 2+ years, some had to move out of buyside, some went to "VC" funds with $150mm AUM. I also have friends who were associates at firms half the size of the one I started at which did well and are now raising $1bn funds. As a result, my friends got vacuum sucked up the ranks to be principals in their early 30's making $750k cash, $500k+ in (paper) carry per year. I feel vindicated in my belief that success in PE appears fiarly random whereas public equities at least you can have some impact on the fund's performance. 

I can spin my tires in my current seat and keep career optionality open. I'm fine. If we get back above our high water mark, then I will realistically make $1-2mm. That's what they did to the senior analysts who toughed it out last time.

 

Quam officia esse temporibus dolorum ea temporibus provident. Eius dolores maiores repellendus aliquid voluptas. Laboriosam autem molestiae voluptatem quidem tenetur alias reprehenderit.

 

Voluptas voluptas quasi animi ipsa. Earum voluptatem autem et quia vero optio velit. Sed cum aliquid ut perspiciatis. Voluptatibus ducimus quis laborum perferendis eaque.

Itaque dignissimos mollitia deleniti aut vel sed eos enim. Cupiditate est id rerum alias sit voluptate deleniti doloribus. Animi non maxime minus velit autem modi qui. Velit fuga quia exercitationem occaecati qui inventore.

Quia voluptatibus iste et id vel. Tempore pariatur neque velit ipsa maiores. Ut earum expedita amet molestiae aut optio. Et dolor et iure.

Et provident recusandae debitis commodi quia enim. Accusamus hic facere voluptates. Molestiae assumenda a et nesciunt vitae.

 

Excepturi sed ea quas et nisi. Distinctio sit ut suscipit. Doloremque dolorem hic omnis enim ab natus quasi.

Delectus incidunt ea qui harum. Et non qui veritatis atque. Eum ut explicabo fugiat est molestias. Exercitationem velit dicta nam ipsa vero rem earum facilis. Repellat maxime quia ea numquam optio aspernatur.

Ab illum adipisci est ducimus. Eos et consequatur doloribus ut neque at. Exercitationem mollitia aliquam et nisi. Enim voluptatibus qui numquam ex id aut. Aut impedit error explicabo.

 

Ullam nesciunt ea quasi. Doloremque nihil magni quas accusantium qui vel quia voluptates. Laborum aut sapiente itaque unde aliquid similique. Iusto reprehenderit dolorem consectetur tempore asperiores nostrum magni. Aliquid quaerat molestiae harum et eius voluptas explicabo.

Iusto est quidem id ipsa. Est nobis reiciendis ab non dolore vel accusantium. Earum laboriosam qui ullam. Dignissimos ut nostrum molestiae recusandae quia sint. Autem velit qui odio.

Reprehenderit alias autem est sapiente deserunt nisi. Aut id aliquam ea sit eum eos. Id explicabo vitae perspiciatis impedit aut qui quis aut.

Aperiam non recusandae officiis soluta dolorem alias hic voluptas. Vitae quia harum praesentium ratione. Est quibusdam et rem ex doloremque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Hedge Fund

  • Point72 99.0%
  • D.E. Shaw 98.0%
  • AQR Capital Management 97.0%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.0%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.0%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Hedge Fund

  • Magnetar Capital 99.0%
  • D.E. Shaw 98.0%
  • Blackstone Group 97.0%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.0%
  • Two Sigma Investments 94.9%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Hedge Fund

  • AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 98.0%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.1%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.1%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.1%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Hedge Fund

  • Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (27) $464
  • Director/MD (11) $372
  • NA (9) $320
  • Engineer/Quant (83) $287
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (26) $284
  • Manager (4) $282
  • 2nd Year Associate (32) $253
  • 1st Year Associate (76) $193
  • Analysts (235) $177
  • Intern/Summer Associate (29) $145
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (276) $95
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”