2022 Bonus Megathread (IB Only)

That time of year! A few banks have started to announce numbers. Please refer to last years thread for any inquiries about timing for xyz bank to keep this thread as productive as possible. 

Bank: EB/ BB/ MM/ Boutique

Level: As1, Vp1, D1 etc. 

Group: M&A, Coverage, Rx etc. 

2022 Base/ Bonus/ All-in

% stock/ deferred 

If that's what I get, I'll be headed to the door when that bonus hits. Not worth it. 

I mean, if it's down across the board, the only people that are going to leave as a result are those who aren't interested in doing this long term, which will probably be seen as a win for the group. 

The year to year fluctuations particularly for someone who just joined are comparatively minor, relative to the long term potential. 

You should check out the money supply from FED data. There's been more stim money given out the past couple of years than ever before. Easy money and a bunch of stim money is part of the reason for inflation. The FED has been pushing off a natural bust cycle for too long, so now we'll have an extra difficult bust. I don't know how popular this opinion is, but I fully believe we need a major economic reset if we expect a thriving society. It'll hurt in the short term, but we're at unsustainable levels currently. Unfortunately, add in the horrific foreign policy being implemented right now and an increasing number of countries dumping the dollar or getting prepared to dump the petrodollar and we may not be able to control our fall and redemption out of this without conflict.

There are countless threads on Associate base salaries, associate signing bonuses, and associate stub bonuses. Whether you think it matters or not is irrelevant, because there are clearly people that are interested in knowing that information.

Then go post in those threads where it's relevant. Judging by the MS you're getting and the zero bananas you're getting I think it's safe to say no one here is interested in knowing that information.

Incoming first year analyst at a prestigious bank, 20k sign in bonus, 125k based expected bonus is 150k. All income is untaxable

Really hoping these are groups that have been underperforming otherwise those working 80-100 hour weeks in top performing groups are all going to head to the exit.

JEF ASO1 Coverage (ignore my title)

$125K. Surprised to see others at JEF get such low numbers. Maybe it was group dependent. I would estimate that my group probably had a better year than some others. 

fml wish the markets ppl get 100k - still 10k short on base for 2023 start… btw is your bonus stub or full year

For all of you shitting on Jefferies, keep it up - clearly mgmt reads WSO.

Know this is for ASOs but gonna say my piece anyways - Didn't post this on the ANL thread b/c I was worried about the bonus not getting paid out back in July, but got $25K as a second year after I told my group I was leaving for the buyside. Super shitty, realized I should've just quit when I got my buyside offer. What makes it worse is the fact that despite market performance, my group literally posted a record year by a meaningful amount (and advertise that quite publicly). Wasn't expecting that # given my EOY review was really strong (call BS if you want, but there was no indication of negative performance whatsoever, really just seemed like they were trying to make a point). Can't speak to the harassment stuff that's been getting posted recently on here but can to the toxic work environment. Oh yea, and they also didn't payout my PTO (which I thought was illegal but is allegedly the NYC office's policy)

Can provide more details in DMs.

frank.Oh yea, and they also didn't payout my PTO (which I thought was illegal but is allegedly the NYC office's policy)

To anyone else who may not be familiar: in NY, a company must pay out PTO unless they make it clear in your contract that they won't. Then it is totally fine.

That's brutal, sorry to hear.

At the same time, given lower fees and rev, they have to prioritize bonuses for people that are staying and flying the banner. That being said, they're going to be in trouble if others see examples like this of those going the PE route getting fvcked. No way they are going to stick it out and grind. 

Any info on how houston banks fared? Good deal flow in o&g right now

Does anyone know if there is a base pay bump from associate 0 to associate 1? Like the new year (roughly 6 months after starting) when the stub bonus comes out?

Do you know what are the payout dates for Barclays and BOA?

There’s no special “bonus tax” per se, but you should budget in an extra ~6% for state tax and ~3.5% for city tax on top of the federal taxes you’ll pay.

It is not unrealistic for some no-name regional boutiques that exist in narrow verticals to absolutely clean up (FT partners started like that lol they are a meme and sweatshop and their experience is shit but, they do pay well). More of these exist than you may think, the difference is they don't focus on an industry with explosive valuation potential like FTP does. Imagine being the only firm in a 4-state area who works on a specific type of business that needs nuanced advice and exists below a size threshold too small for other banks to bat an eye at while the guy who started your small shop was an absolute player in that industry as an operator for 2 decades. These are the arrangements that make some people ungodly rich. I saw a firm on LinkedIn called "Car Wash Advisory" once, I think they had like 3 employees and did small deals but you can bet those 3 20somethings were getting a solid piece of every deal. Sometimes the fees from those firms are much, much higher relatively than typical IB fees (I once saw a <$12mm deal pay out an 8% fee, I once worked on a deal with a 5% fee. Shits ridiculous in the LMM and super LMM land).

My very first firm I was at paid a wildly low base but it was more than made up through bonuses as we were a small team so everyone got a larger portion of the deal. There actually can be a ton of money made at these very small firms.

It IS very rare, but not entirely unheard of. If a 6-person firm does a couple structured finance deals or a handful of $40mm cap raises and hits $200mm of transaction volume that's over $500k rev/head + retainer. If you're a firm that keeps a very low salary, you could probably pay out everyone a low 6-fig bonus

This guy may totally be lying but he may also work at a 7-person firm that is absolutely running train on a regional vertical you've never even heard  of 

Necessitatibus aperiam et deleniti ea est non dolor. Qui quo minus suscipit voluptas sit. Ut ea fugit repellendus incidunt. Et quia exercitationem quisquam quo enim.

Tenetur voluptatum voluptatibus blanditiis sunt. Ut ut maxime voluptas necessitatibus maxime mollitia sunt. Debitis qui impedit facere et.

Doloremque et explicabo provident. Qui ab officiis ipsam sit dolorum. Officia perferendis aut et et blanditiis similique aliquid. Pariatur quia animi consequatur officia magni omnis ut.

Necessitatibus fugit dicta tempora et quibusdam dolore. Qui consequatur earum quo unde et ut ducimus. Facere asperiores maiores culpa quibusdam.

Ut eum ipsum veniam minima iste eveniet eos. Eum impedit aut libero non. Voluptatem corrupti ea omnis incidunt.

Laboriosam nobis est molestiae neque aliquam odit. Sunt numquam quis quidem debitis ut dolor. Dolorem eligendi reprehenderit aperiam quibusdam rerum explicabo doloribus.

Earum beatae aspernatur rerum provident delectus. Id aut doloribus modi sit inventore eaque accusamus natus. Ullam vitae earum nobis aut qui. Repellat omnis repellat consectetur quo. Mollitia non fugiat ut incidunt. Facere nulla vel quia pariatur. Alias impedit laboriosam maxime repellat harum odit.

Debitis natus quia minus nemo. Quam quas consequuntur atque ratione amet. Repudiandae dolorem dolor porro nihil aliquid sit voluptatem. Rem inventore eligendi earum labore alias sit. Molestias et tenetur ad sed nostrum rerum.

Deleniti eum non qui ad labore. Non delectus voluptas sed voluptatem qui. Minima atque labore assumenda et et qui quia voluptas. Quis necessitatibus minima et corporis quam id quo.

Fuga in a architecto. Recusandae sed doloribus eligendi reprehenderit libero recusandae cum perferendis. Est et odit reprehenderit provident. Quia non laboriosam maiores enim ducimus sunt voluptates. Nihil eum dolor nobis et.

Distinctio ipsam voluptas ea animi corporis voluptates. Quibusdam et et occaecati qui excepturi. Ut atque repellat dolor eius. Illo enim sunt molestias perspiciatis animi consequatur. Sit illum maxime deleniti accusamus.

Repellat vel deserunt voluptatem aut debitis harum. Hic modi quasi iure iusto et necessitatibus asperiores. Et harum corporis possimus quibusdam deserunt. Dolor minima repudiandae fuga. Consequatur et quia cumque magnam. Nemo facere at earum voluptatum.

Unde cumque possimus modi soluta nihil delectus eaque. Laboriosam nobis sunt maxime animi odio dolor fugit impedit. Autem id incidunt eaque cumque neque. Qui occaecati repellendus omnis vel repellendus in molestiae. Sit quia sunt consectetur corporis eveniet quo.

Fuga explicabo eaque mollitia sunt ratione a et rerum. Temporibus dolorem nam ipsa id vel. Voluptas omnis ut corrupti natus accusantium qui inventore soluta. Similique optio unde maiores aut dolor fuga quisquam.

Animi provident necessitatibus quae amet recusandae similique voluptates. Et eligendi consequatur et voluptate. Tenetur tempore voluptatem labore odio.

Eaque tempora dignissimos doloremque nulla laboriosam. Ex ut laboriosam fugit cum delectus recusandae modi.

Beatae est qui corporis quia reprehenderit maxime. Distinctio sed fugiat rerum omnis illo. Aut quia molestiae enim expedita eaque. Quis quis iusto voluptatem necessitatibus animi alias.

Iure voluptas voluptates illum aut cumque. Illo vel et mollitia temporibus eveniet ut. Omnis quos fuga omnis voluptas. Sint aut rerum dolor et omnis quis harum molestiae.

Aut similique voluptas vel sapiente. Ratione odio vero nulla velit temporibus facilis. Quia natus aut ut in. Minima quo sapiente quam non ea. Consequuntur totam dolorum aut rerum ut autem tempora.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”