Can a company's stock be undervalued by $ 340 a share? Seems a bit impossible to me

So I being working on a case study I'm planning to present to an Alumni and after doing a dcf I with the perpetuity method using a 2 % growth rate in line with inflation and a 8.2 % wacc I get a share price of $389.28 and by doing a ebitda multiple of 12x which is in line with the industry according to the comps I get a share price of $160.17. Which is still high but looks more reasonable that the first choice. so is there a possible for such things to happen or did I made a mathematical mistake in my projections most of the drivers for the model had been pull from ER reports.

8 Comments
 

edit: read this as undervalued "at" $340 a share, not "by."

if the stock price is very high it's certainly possible, but if you're talking US stocks, there aren't many that even trade that high. if you're looking at berkshire hathaway class A, $340 added to the current price would only be 0.16% upside, so yeah in that case it's possible, but I'm cherry picking there.

 
Best Response

So the share price is $50 now? Something is definitely wrong - those two per shr numbers shouldn't be that different from each other. Couple things you can do to check.

Put your terminal value over your terminal year EBITDA. What's the multiple? I'd bet it's way too high. Fix your cash flows or your terminal assumptions so it's reasonable

What's your NPV / TEV multiple of 2015 ebitda? Does it make sense?

What's your 2015 OCF yield (2015 OCF / your calculated NPV plus net cash)? Does it make sense?

What are you putting the 12x multiple on? past EBITDA or future EBITDA? if you're using past and future EBITDA is expected to increase materially for some reason then it'll understate the valuation.

$160 is roughly 3x $50. So you're saying that right now, the company trades at 4x (12 divided by 3x) EBITDA and it should trade at 12x? I don't think it's likely that something is trading that far away from where its comps do....

 

I made some tweaks to the calculation I was using a Wallstreet prep template for the analysis now the intrinsic value is $128.86. current price $51.01 the name of the Firm is Bristol Myers as for the assumptions Im using the analyst estimates from an Equity Research Report from JPM the Analyst even states the firm as overweight and that it trades at 31X of their eps estimates. How about if I fix my 3 statement model based on absolute projections from 3 year averages?

 

Dolor est est asperiores ipsum dignissimos sapiente. Quo rerum porro quia ipsa cumque at. Illo voluptatum voluptas sit cum ea dolores cupiditate. Provident et asperiores ut quidem laboriosam quos. Dolorem ipsa corporis vel. Unde quod vel quae id ut.

Velit nostrum incidunt nesciunt enim ea atque rerum quia. Repellat ut aspernatur rerum debitis nesciunt eos. Dolor voluptatem dolore rerum. Adipisci nesciunt fuga aperiam esse corrupti. Nihil laborum voluptatem voluptates qui cupiditate modi. Voluptatem at at voluptas expedita similique ut deserunt.

Officiis sit dolores voluptate ratione consequatur ipsa est. Est omnis ut ipsa. Quam id earum modi quidem est dolorem ut. Libero ut neque error voluptate.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
7
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
8
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
9
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
10
numi's picture
numi
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”