Grouping Investment Banks 2022

Hi everyone,

With so many threads and arguments about IB rankings, I think it would be better to group banks instead. This would provide a better idea of where a bank's IBD division stands versus its competitors. These groups don't necessarily tell whether these banks are the 'best' or 'worst' on the Street. Just how the bank's overall IB division performs and the general opportunities that analysts receive after leaving the firm. Working in IB is already a great accomplishment, and I believe this method of organizing these banks can help IB prospects who are unfamiliar with how these firms are generally placed.

The sources I used for these groups include Vault, WSJ IB rankings, CapIQ, WSO's IB ranking threads, and much more. Feel free to contribute with your thoughts and recommendations.

Bulge Brackets (BB):

Elite Boutiques (EB):

Middle Markets and Others (unsure how these would be grouped):

Solomon is definitely not MM. since august 2021 we’ve advised on six deals over $1 billion, even being the exclusive sell side advisor on the $5bn sale of the Bountiful Company to Nestle and the exclusive buy side advisor to Prime Therapeutics on the $1.4bn acquisition of Magellan RX. I know a lot of people who could see the firm being the next Centerview in the coming decade should the firm’s growth in winning huge deals and bringing in top talent.

For banks like Liontree, Allen, Ardea and Solomon, they should be tiered into another category titled "Industry Boutique" as they tend to focus on a specific industry and can't really be grouped into EBs and MMs.

Not really. Their bread and butter has and always will be consumer and retail deals.

No, I agree. I'm just saying OP should've made a separate grouping with the subtiers. So Industry Boutique Tier 1 would be Qatalyst, LT, Allen, etc and Tier 2 would be Ardea and Solomon.

Rankings are bullshit, but PJT M&A gets hate for no reason. 

Average deal size per banker is up there with CVP and their M&A team still exits incredibly well. 

You’re incorrect. Revenue per head is a far better metric to use than deal size per head. Deal size along with deal volume = revenue.

Again, league tables don’t lie. Historically PJT ranked below EVR, CVP, PWP, MOELIS, and LAZ on league tables because although they are mandated on large multi billion dollar deals, the frequency of M&A deals is not on par.

Bro this shit has been rehashed a hundred times on this site -- people aren't on here ranking these firms on how much money the group makes (league tables). The forum is full of college students and new grads, so they're ranking based on the analyst program. PJT M&A has top of street comp and exits -- the two things analysts actually care about. As an analyst, I would be happier if my group has no deal flow -- my bonus will change at maximum by 10 or 15k and at least I wouldn't have to work as much. At the end of the day, in the mass majority of cases, a candidate with a PJT M&A offer would take it over a PWP M&A offer. I know with certainty that William Blair's tech group makes more money than half the BB's tech groups do. If we had league tables for tech and you could see this, and I had a William Blair Tech offer and a CS Tech offer, would you encourage me to take the Blair offer?

Most Helpful

Tiers work for BB and MM but in my eyes all EB are virtually the same. Choosing between EVR/CVP/PJT/PWP/MOE/LAZ is pure preference and situation tbh. Virtually the same pay, exits, and prestige.

explain to me why FT Partners isn't ranked higher than CVP?

Sint non odio ex. Rerum voluptas fugiat dolorem recusandae quasi animi quasi. Ut incidunt labore eum qui voluptatem ullam. Eveniet dignissimos et quos.

Qui commodi omnis rerum voluptatum nulla. Voluptatem laudantium recusandae aliquam nesciunt. Dolorem est aut molestiae illum voluptatibus nisi temporibus corrupti. Et et nesciunt omnis consequatur dolore facere. Odio ea dolores praesentium aut.

Inventore eaque porro doloribus labore. Maxime ut possimus possimus. In autem veniam quidem deserunt molestias. Eos possimus dolorem est enim quas odio enim minus. Quis fuga repellat ut sit. Odio id aliquid delectus saepe. Vero aliquam sequi facilis mollitia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”