Is it good idea to Ask MD (or VP) for Reference letter - SA2024

Hi, I'm currently an off-cycle intern in BB IB. I know it's a bit late, but I've submitted the application for SA2024 (asia and london) and now I received the link for video interview (like hirevue). As being an intern in the same bank that I've applied for, I'm thinking asking MD for a ref letter. But the thing is, I barely talked with him, and we're from same uni where he seems he doesn't want to let other know or isn't proud of our uni. Also, I don't think my reference check would'nt be that good (it was my first intern and I was immature a bit). At the same time, It can be my opportunity as well- just confused how to reach out to him and if there's no metter with it. Also, I usually talked with VP - would it be better to ask VP for ref letter? Thanks!

Most Helpful

No one reads or cares about reference letters. Even down the line in a background check when you need people to be your "reference" it is always very simply done through HR and a matter of confirming you worked there.

If you are at a BB you should be able to look up people in the team you are applying to. Get coffee or virtual coffee with them and talk about their team. Work your way up to talking to that group's seniors through them. They should be the ones referring you, not your current MD or VP. And it's not really an official "referral" but more that if they like you they will keep an eye out for your resume.

Based on the most helpful WSO content, it seems that reference letters are not typically given much weight in the finance industry. Instead, it's more about the connections and relationships you build. If you're at a BB, you should try to connect with people in the team you're applying to. Grab a coffee or set up a virtual meeting with them to discuss their team. Through these connections, you can work your way up to talking to the senior members of that group. If they like you, they'll likely keep an eye out for your resume. It's not so much an official "referral" but more about having someone in your corner. So, instead of focusing on getting a reference letter from your current MD or VP, try to build relationships within the team you're interested in.

Sources: How Far an MD Recommendation Gets You, Top Tip: Get any MD to read your resume (or anyone to read anything), Advice for summer and return offer rate?, Good MD stories?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Am I the only one who feels AI is overstepping its bounds on WSO? I prefer a real human opinion – not a mishmash of advice gleaned from both American & European posts

Modi ipsum voluptas velit et ipsa vel quidem. Impedit minus minima minus sit. Est quia et culpa dolorem recusandae sint.

Corporis quo deleniti dolor est id blanditiis. Ut distinctio sit et maiores enim. Similique sed enim exercitationem necessitatibus voluptatem consequatur at vitae. Odit voluptatem quis molestiae doloremque et voluptatibus exercitationem. Placeat est eveniet voluptates ea.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”