Most Helpful

Wow that's amazing. Wonder where all the disgruntled folks are who were slinging MS at kids for just saying direct FT conversions were even possibility. I remember explicitly saying that certain EBs are most likely to do this due to their already 85%+ return rates and relatively small class sizes and I was told by all these so-called experts that there was "100% no chance" of this happening.

Moelis has historically had bigger class sizes compared to other EBs, no? Regardless, this is an unexpected but amazing move by the firm.

Nope, that's Evercore. Moelis, IMO, seems the most "safe" place to be, at least as an Associate given that they do both M&A and Rx out of their generalist pool (IDK about Analysts). Rx has a ton of deal flow so there will definitely be work to do for the interns to justify keeping the summer program, especially when 2nd year Analysts leave for PE

Wow congrats to those going to Moelis. I think it's far likely for boutiques with strong RX platforms to do this - wouldn't expect BB to do this at all.

Really tho? I mean, if Moelis takes ~20 summer associates and traditionally has an 80% FT offer rate, it's really only given out 4 more associate offers than it normally would have. Would that really entail them to cut summer'21 recruiting entirely? I can understand if it's decreases slightly, but not an 'RIP Summer'21' situation, unless I'm missing something?

Not disagreeing, genuinely curious...

I was definitely being overly dramatic. Think that recruiting will be down for MBAs next year anyway due to the current downturn (my base case is that the economy won't be back up to speed by the time MBA offers are given out in early-January). So if banks were going to have a small class due to the economic situation and they are also carrying a larger than normal class from the year prior, I think it's looking pretty lean. Tons of flawed assumptions in there but that's just how I'm thinking of it.

Funniest

So does that mean I have no chance at FT Moelis offer?

Sadly their EMEA operations are not performing as well ... I doubt the same happens to their EMEA cohort

Could they afford reputationally to only do this for some regions though? just curious. It feels as if they do it for one region they must do it for the others as well. Have there been instances thus far where banks, that have already announced certain policies for the summers, have decided on different policies for different regions? genuine question bc I don't know

Hard to accurately judge interns in 4 weeks, so they're giving them the benefit of the doubt and extending FT offers. The global pandemic wasn't the interns' fault. EBs also tend to have high conversion rates (~80%+), so this really isn't that much more of an expense for them, compared to what it would be for, say, a BB

It's also good PR / avoids bad PR, since it shows they care about their people, etc. Like someone above mentioned, it's very possible they chose to act first out of their EB competitors to offset some of the negative publicity they received last year from that staffer email. Others feel free to add, just my $0.02

Controversial

Very good friends with some guys at Moelis, and from hearing their stories, I have a feeling this isn't going to be 100% conversion rate. Moelis loves to throw the kitchen sink at people, and I can see the "virtual 4 weeks" as just an onslaught of modeling tests and mock pitch presentations.

Last year they hit them with an intern case assignment in one of the busiest weeks of the summer, and were not lenient at all with the grading, giving Ds and Fs on the models and pitchbooks the interns put together.

If you read the email (posted on Litquidity IG), it says "successful completion" of intern program. I have a feeling they are going to try and weed a few people out - not as many as normal - but I think a few will get dinged.

Agree with this. Have heard similar things from those I know already at Moelis and two incoming FTs. Best of luck to the incoming SAs who think this means they get a cakewalk to an offer lol

Guess we'll find out come August - obviously this is pure conjecture - the summer was such a god damn slog for those poor bastards last year. Legit had it worse than every other group on the street, prob only tied with JPM M&A. I just can't reconcile that experience with this University of Phoenix online class that is getting pitched.

Who tf knows what the deal is.

I'm an incoming intern at Moelis and can confirm everyone got explicit full-time offers, regardless of performance on any "case studies" given during the virtual internship. Offer is just contingent on completing the internship a.ka. not doing something stupid to get you fired mid-way.

Didn’t the kids sign a summer contract? If so, then will the contract be revised? If new or addendum to contract, my guess is that there will probably be some contingencies to the FT offer.

Could other EBs follow? Couldn't really see BBs as conversions are never even close to 100%, but maybe for EB

I wouldn’t be surprised if other EBs followed. Low risk given the high offer rates and potentially huge reward to differentiate themselves from BBs + good PR for future recruiting classes. I think if at least one more does this the rest will follow suit... can’t be the only one not doing it when you’re competing for talent.

How likely do y'all think MM banks with similar sized SA classes (Blair, Baird, Lincoln) would do this too?

i guess from the firm's perspective it's also great that they can retain talent by signing them on early! this pretty much prevents ppl from trying to lateral into competitors / buyside for ft

Aliquam consequatur quam deleniti. Temporibus ab dolores harum debitis. Minima consequatur quasi itaque quos dolores quibusdam soluta.

Dolorum enim qui voluptatem et. Illo fugit id inventore praesentium placeat nesciunt. Reprehenderit aut nostrum fugit molestiae.

Iste est suscipit tenetur. Amet laborum maiores voluptatum qui eveniet qui.

Ea ipsum est cumque. Explicabo quis dolorem nihil soluta voluptas nisi. Consequatur eius eos aperiam eos sapiente ratione. Ut et error sit.

Necessitatibus nam odio cupiditate impedit. Culpa quidem quibusdam enim nesciunt. Vel molestias distinctio in quo. Qui et repudiandae est cumque velit non necessitatibus fuga. In sed autem voluptas voluptatem dicta consectetur corporis.

Quibusdam commodi voluptas totam ut. Eum eligendi corporis qui deserunt repudiandae quo. Sequi quos sed dolor quod. Dolor voluptates facere pariatur aliquid.

Natus tempora et aut quisquam. Porro accusamus non dicta et. Explicabo suscipit minus qui ducimus. Ducimus natus enim nostrum totam. Fugiat eveniet quaerat velit provident. Possimus quae necessitatibus officia reiciendis quasi.

Harum nisi distinctio ea similique incidunt enim quis. Sunt voluptas quia dicta odio. Et possimus repudiandae autem doloremque et officia. Ab vel odio voluptas possimus cumque optio. Quibusdam quia voluptas rerum autem quia.

Illo cum quam quas est veritatis. Ut consequatur eius aut voluptatibus nam provident. Omnis voluptate repellat ullam facere quia quae itaque. Non expedita praesentium adipisci eius sint ex. Sint quae voluptates natus id commodi quo officia.

Ut dolor molestiae dolore deserunt quo velit dolorem. Perferendis ullam cum voluptatum vero molestias accusantium facere. Corporis vero eos quod totam repellat deleniti.

Ullam est qui aspernatur consequatur maxime aut molestiae. Repellendus distinctio suscipit quae et voluptas ut eaque. Aut autem labore laudantium atque et. Doloribus similique qui quo placeat ab qui vero.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”