Most toxic banks and groups (2023 update)?

Not a new topic but would be good to see where things are now.

I was at sweet green the other day and overheard a couple Moelis analysts say "Moelis?…More like MoleASS!" Tells you a little something about the culture I think

Totally wrong -- and I can tell you have an old data point because BMO has rebranded their O&G division to simply "Energy" and "Energy Transition" -- from what I've heard, they're pitching a lot more now because they've gone woke with Radicle and notably weren't on the Baytex/Ranger Oil deal. Calgary IB is fucked, but by no means does BMO 'take the cake' on RBC for toxicity. 

ajkdnwjdkldaskdlkjaslkdjlkdjsa

does anyone know if this has changed over recent months?

Also curious, everyone I know there is super down to earth but have heard horror stories.

Top tier exits out of Evercore but Tech, Media, Industrials and IUR notoriously toxic and grindy.

Most Helpful

Moelis is the obvious answer. Have heard rough things about evercore across m&a in general from SAs I knew.

idk if it's that obvious.  again, need to draw a line between sweaty and toxic.  Sweaty = long hours, toxic = MD calling you an asshole in front of whole floor, VP publicly blaming you for mistakes etc.  There's obviously some overlap, ie 'D made me work until 4am this entire week for a pitch that isn't until next month' kind of thing but not always 1:1 overlap. 

I don't get where the whole "Moelis culture is miles better these days" schtick came from. Yeah culture has definitely softened compared to 3-4 years ago, but Moelis NY is still one of the rougher places. Culture varies by group, but toxic mid-level people and seniors yelling at analysts is definitely still more prevalent at Moelis NY than it is street-wide.

All BB M&A groups have terrible culture and WLB. JPM M&A and BofA M&A I know forsure

Not true about BofA M&A. Culture there is actually pretty good. I work at BofA and have a few buddies in M&A.

That's just all mining groups in Toronto dude. They're all sweat but not necessarily toxic. I've heard BMO isn't really that toxic anymore - there's another Big 5 mining group that I've heard has shittier culture...

BMO Metals & Mining Toronto

BMO Metals & Mining used to have this 5 foot 2 VP/D (he's MD now) who called Analysts' office phones Saturday mornings to ensure they were present in the office

lots of other stories I remember but can't be bothered to elaborate lol 

at Tim Horton’s I heard a couple of first year analysts say “BMO Harris more like BMO HarASS” so very possible

Friend of a friend told me some horror stories about that group. They had an associate literally pass out in the office and it’s being swept under the rug. She passed out in December, was taken to the hospital and now nobody knows where she is and leadership said “out of respect for her family” they don’t want to say anything about her condition. I’m sure there was some underlying issue but stress and lack of sleep make any health condition worse and this happened to a senior associate who was being promoted to VP a month later. Tone did not change after this nobody even said hey guys take care of yourselves and push back on unecesary work. Just acted like it never happened. This is the worst example but many other examples of how shitty the culture is.

Healthcare people not taking care of their health or hurting the health of their own people..shame

Industrials or Tech? My college roommate is in tech and likes the culture, agrees its not a lifestyle group but exits/dealflow are solid.

Chicago MM perspective here:

• Baird Industrials is #1 by far. Crazy hours, no respect from seniors, and VPs turn constantly and blame associates for mistakes. 
  • Baird HC is a close #2. Lots of pitching, little winning.
  • Lincoln HC
  • Blair - All groups except Consumer and ECM
  • BGL - All groups except Consumer
  • Piper HC
  • Raymond James IND - I've heard there's a weird culture of "bullying" - like fratty but dickish

On the other hand, these are groups/banks that I hear aren't terrible:

Moelis is a sweatshop and filled with assholes. 

EVR is a sweatshop and filled with valedictorians.

Don't know much about PWP

Blair HC has probably the best culture on the street.

Any update on Chi Baird Industrials? Has it gotten any better? What type of hours are we talking about -- 2-3am nights?

A recruiter reached out about a lateral opportunity so Im just trying to get as much info as possible.

Most Industrials groups across the street are toxic, as well as every investment bank in Houston

I've heard Houston is so "boom and bust" that everyone is just always afraid of the next layoff. Creates sharp elbows and a lot of knives in backs. 

I think most shops that have RX too aren’t so worried about boom and bust, but are definitely sweaty. Friends from boutiques such as Evercore, PJT, Moelis definitely work lots of hours but the cultures don’t seem toxic. Had a buddy at Moelis who I only saw once a quarter cause was always working but said great things about the people there. Had multiple buds at Evercore who were chill with people but the culture was SO sweaty that it became toxic. Almost their entire class shipped out quickly

In Chi? Supposedly their IND group is pretty good and not shitheads. 

William Blair Charlotte is laid-back but cliquey - office is dominated by veterans.

WF is too big to generalize.

Piper Sandler Industrials is sweaty but fratty.

Piper Sandler C&R is sweaty and less fratty.

Jefferies C&R is relatively chill.

Jefferies REGL is toxic.

Jefferies TES is sweaty but decent in terms of culture.

Jefferies ADG is a mixed bag - great culture at the senior level but mixed bag at the mid-level.

I have heard crazy stories about Piper C&R. A good friend of mine pulled an an all-nighter across Christmas Eve and Christmas day on a $10MM EV deal. That's not the fee, that was the EV

On another note, how is comp in Charlotte? As with COL and taxes IB there seems like a sweet deal

Controversial opinion but William Blair. Love to talk about how good their “culture” is but it’s putting a bow on a turd.

It’s a complete sweat shop, they just laid off a ton of analysts and has gone from sweaty to unbearable. Everyone working until 3am or later, protected Saturdays basically gone (but still touted as a policy). Bonuses also sucked so not worth it at all. They might be the first back in history to exclusively lay off juniors… deal flow / pitching stays the same without the same juniors to support it.

People are somewhat nice still in terms of “you won’t get screamed at in the bullpen”, but the WLB is terrible and people are so angry about how management keeps flexing “culture” as a selling point without doing anything to actually maintain it.

Controversial because it isn’t true. Always group, location, and team dependent for these things, but there are some places where the culture is toxic and it attracts assholes, WB just isn’t one of them.

WB’s Midwest location and status runs a pretty solid screen to stop most the behavior that makes people insufferable. Some groups are sweaty for sure and there are toxic people for sure, but toxic isn’t really something ex-WB people use to describe the whole platform. Have numerous friends that left various groups and consensus is almost always banking sucks, but glad I did it at WB. Doesn’t mean you aren’t having a bad experience, but that’s just not their rep.

high turnover amongst the analyst and associates, toxic seniors, terrible deal flow, group cannot hold onto to anyone past a 1-2 years (so there are very few VPs and Directors)

ask anyone that left that group (there are many on linkedin)

can we combine a list of banks and the current type of office space for workers (including analysts, excluding the trading floor)? I got the following:

JPM: Hotdesking in an open space. people always stealing seats. hard to book seats. (new york office)

Credit Suisse: Still has cubicles for analysts and up. more senior ones get the office. (new york office)

Maybe it's team-dependent, but my team at JPM has assigned seats and no "hotdesking" or stealing seats...

oh hello there

I heard TERRIBLE things from a mutual about Cantor. Things like VPs leaving the office then coming back at 11:00PM - Midnight to take notes on what Analysts/Associates are there. Has it improved at all since pre-covid? 

Jefferies Houston is 100% a sweatshop but not even close to even being the most toxic bank in Houston

Anonymous Monkey

JEF energy

Jefferies Houston is 100% sweaty but not even close to even being the most toxic bank in Houston

What’s consider sweaty in today’s standard? I’m required to be in the office 4 days a week. Usually work from 9:30am - 2:00am. One protected weekend a month but no guarantee, you could be working anyway. Weekends are usually 11:00am - 10/11pm. Is this consider sweaty?

You work 100+ hours a week and you ask if that is sweaty. You are a slave bro.

Well, I usually roll out of bed at 9, since I will be working late and head into the office at 11:00 -11:30. There's usually good 45min - 1 hour break in the middle of the day for lunch. And, 1 hour for dinner and maybe 30-45min late night waiting for comments. So, technically I'm doing 80-90 hours max. Unless people usually count dinner and lunch into working hours.

Associate 2 in IB-M&A

Not a new topic but would be good to see where things are now.

I was at sweet green the other day and overheard a couple Moelis analysts

Well, I'd say the fact that the conversation was happening during Sweetgreen's open hours is telling in itself.

Sounds like things have improved.

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?

heard jefferies houston is an absolute 1st class trip to nonconsensual gorilla poundtown like real real non consensual

Huge glaring omission so far is Bank of America… let us change that.

Equity Capital Markets is led by a bleached, hair-plugged junkie that flirts with every woman on the floor regardless of age (am a recipient of advances). I am shocked a legitimate human resource complaint has yet to be logged, am guilty of remaining complicit. Have interacted with countless senior bankers across the street that mention this individual and claim to have crazy stories. Would enjoy hearing anonymous opinions or stories.

Aside from ECM, have heard Houston and Chicago offices are sweaty (oil, gas and industrials).

Let us hear more from BofA!!!!!!

jeffpeakenergy

Huge glaring omission so far is Bank of America… let us change that.

Equity Capital Markets is led by a bleached, hair-plugged junkie that flirts with every woman on the floor regardless of age (am a recipient of advances). I am shocked a legitimate human resource complaint has yet to be logged, am guilty of remaining complicit. Have interacted with countless senior bankers across the street that mention this individual and claim to have crazy stories. Would enjoy hearing anonymous opinions or stories.

Aside from ECM, have heard Houston and Chicago offices are sweaty (oil, gas and industrials).

Let us hear more from BofA!!!!!!

lol Jim Cooney?

Iusto iusto in ratione nisi et qui nulla. Culpa modi voluptatibus debitis veritatis veritatis vitae suscipit. Quibusdam a ut minima maiores aut possimus animi. Voluptas esse aut magni quia itaque quaerat blanditiis. Est minus et accusantium consequatur voluptas impedit et.

Quia harum aut incidunt libero. Necessitatibus ut vero exercitationem excepturi deleniti tempora provident non. Corporis et architecto et. In consequatur sapiente doloremque est. Nostrum ut ratione aut autem rerum reprehenderit in. Quas quam odit quod omnis esse qui reprehenderit.

Eaque quisquam id eius. Et dolor id enim iste. Aperiam rem provident sit et eum dolor. Eveniet distinctio aut consequatur quia consequatur non quia.

Ut enim reiciendis id ratione. Et enim et maxime. Sed quibusdam a ut laborum. Sint omnis quis molestiae temporibus blanditiis laudantium laudantium. Fuga atque rem magnam id perspiciatis et.

Dolorem neque velit aut quas dolor. Earum nostrum est quis aut. Similique eum asperiores explicabo et. Reprehenderit hic itaque quo. Omnis animi aut voluptatem possimus.

Aperiam ut rem facere vel sint repellendus. Amet consequatur ut eius nesciunt iusto autem. Sint consequatur omnis est. Quasi expedita dolores quia officiis laudantium.

Harum minus debitis officiis tempore error doloremque. Pariatur omnis impedit ratione vel deleniti. Nisi vel assumenda nostrum numquam hic.

Sint sint eos aspernatur suscipit. Et deleniti dolorem omnis quia laborum. Aut rerum ut neque aut id. Voluptas sequi aut hic sit. Sequi non ducimus qui dolor.

Facere amet sapiente blanditiis. Hic recusandae quam ut temporibus dolorum accusamus. Repellendus voluptatem nam est magni.

Exercitationem rerum enim porro. Distinctio facilis et non sequi tempora molestiae. Ipsum necessitatibus corporis occaecati delectus. Velit sint officiis laudantium vel. Qui consequatur veniam commodi eum et.

Quibusdam eius minus quae molestias nihil numquam. Sit sunt maiores odit molestias accusamus repellat sint est. Natus non ut fugiat sit enim aperiam.

Et error commodi accusamus a aut. Id velit amet nam aut eum facere et. Mollitia natus labore autem quo voluptatibus quia eum sit. Ipsa praesentium minima expedita aut ea. Ex similique quia eius quis dolore nobis accusamus quis.

Incidunt sint ipsa et aut quas provident ducimus eum. Consequuntur omnis ut est sit praesentium autem recusandae. Sit omnis enim perspiciatis. Eaque ea porro minus ipsam expedita quisquam. Maiores voluptate consequuntur sit quo ipsam.

Id nulla laborum qui incidunt minus. Accusamus consequatur accusantium cupiditate odio recusandae ea. Dolorum quis praesentium et ullam. Quaerat omnis et quo eum blanditiis at qui.

Voluptatem nesciunt beatae itaque ex magnam sint voluptas. Dolorem atque sit perspiciatis magnam nisi. Nemo temporibus praesentium at qui. Officiis tempora quod dolores pariatur vel.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”