Why does cash decrease by $40 when accounts receivable goes up $100?

Hey guys,

I'm in the very early phases of learning and was reading through some guides where if the accounts receivable increases by $100, then the cash decreases by $40, net income increases by $60, assets increase by $60, and shareholder's equity increases by $60.

I'm a little confused as I thought accounts receivable is a current asset so the assets in the balance sheet would increase by $100 and the retained earnings would also increase by $100. I then thought maybe the revenue would increase by $100 and depending on the tax rate and maybe the COGS net income would increase by $60? which would result in a $60 increase in cash with the cash flow statement?

However, I don't think my thinking balances out and I am a little confused.

In a lot of the breaking into wall street guides, when other items like inventory or prepaid expenses change, the split is also always 60/40. Why is that?

Appreciate any help!

Your question works with the assumption CIT=40%. It obviously can be different depending on assumption, or more concretely, jurisdiction.

If I were to secure a contract worth 100$, my pre tax income would increase by 100, and post tax income by 60. (Since tax rate = 40%, I have to pay 40$ in tax and keep the rest for myself.)

Shareholders equity is (partially) a function of net income. If net income increases by 60, shareholders equity must too.

Given the fact that AR is not cash, but taxes paid is cash, our cash position goes down by 40 (to reiterate, we ignore the the 100 increase in AR).

Check, does the balance sheet reconciliate? AR +100; Cash -40 = net +60 effect. On the other side, shareholders equity increases by 60 as well.

Most Helpful

Increase in AR coincides with an increase in revenue in this case. After expenses and taxes, net income is 60. Starting on cash flow from operations, you have the same net income of 60, but now because you have an increase of an operating asset of 100, you must subtract it out, as it is a “use” of cash. Another way to think about it is that you have recorded the revenue but not actually received cash, so the lack of having the cash itself means the 100 must be subtracted. No other changes on CFS so change in cash is down 40. On BS, cash down 40 AR up 100 so assets up 60. NI flows to RE so shareholders’ equity is up 60 so BS balances.

Ut mollitia sed vero ab aut praesentium. Quia voluptas velit aut. Ipsa fuga voluptates ullam ad cumque sed soluta.

Nostrum fuga rem quis provident. Dolore dolorum at saepe ab ut qui quo est. Et fuga maiores qui adipisci vero. Quam eveniet nisi est dolores ab impedit.

Voluptatum ipsa neque rerum ratione ea modi sunt. Accusamus voluptatum ut in vel non quaerat. Saepe dolorem quo voluptatem numquam alias. Eligendi nisi asperiores sit dicta. Beatae voluptatem alias quia voluptatem. Aut eveniet deleniti consequatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 19 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres 06 98.9%
  • JPMorgan Chase 09 98.3%
  • William Blair 03 97.7%
  • Morgan Stanley 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (22) $375
  • Associates (94) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (207) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (151) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”