WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (11/10-11/16)

In case you missed them, here's some of last week's most popular topics:

Why YOU Aren't Getting Offers

I also give the kid credit for attempting to turn this into a networking opportunity (which I would gladly accept) had he not wanted to make me throw myself under the moving train – a feat unaccomplished until meeting this lad. The following chain of events is why he and so many young monkeys on this forum (who go to Ivey, have internships, solid grades, whatever else) are not getting jobs...

5 Rules of Getting a Job from a Non-Target School

I’ve been in the industry for several years and I’ve come across every type of situation. I’ve met guys from top schools who work in bulge bracket firms, but I’ve also met people from those same schools who can’t seem to land a great job. Conversely, I’ve met guys from non-target schools who managed to get into a top firm...

The Power of the Kitty

I've had some super eventful last couple of weeks, dead laptop, shattered phone screen, admissions events, canceled travel plans, canceled admissions events, midterms, some anxiety, stupid friends, stupider professors, where did my paycheck go? Was I supposed to feed the fish?

All this, including the dead fish is one thing- and this one client of mine is another. For the sake of this post, I would like to call her: ClientWTF...

Where to live?

I recently received a couple of job offers in three different cities: SF, Chicago, and NYC. I have never lived in any of those cities and therefore was wondering if you guys can help me decide where I should live...

Can you make sense of the ECB?

Niall Ferguson has said the European Union (EU) is a perfect prophet for the weak willed Pro-Europeanists, often anxious academic personalities, trapped in their verbal formulas extracted from post-modern schools of Marxist thought, to be perennially defeated by circumstance; namely economic. They offer a self-exculpating cosmic explanation for the most normal professorial state of popular resentment, alienation, dithering passivity and inaction on the party of Brussels's bureaucrats and their own sovereign messes.

Beyond all of that though is another ivory tower; the European Central Bank (ECB)...

Lumosity Unveils America's Smartest Colleges

Lumosity, the online brain training and neuroscience research company, today revealed the smartest colleges in America based on an analysis of its database of human cognitive performance...

Video Games are Big Business

For anyone who has ever picked up a controller, it's become very apparent that video games have come a long way from being a niche hobby for nerds. Video games are a massive entertainment business whose hits can out-earn all but the biggest blockbuster movies...

The Number One Reason You Were Dinged

And while those reasons all might have had something to do with it, none of them were the ultimate reason why you didn’t make the cut. The reason you were dinged boils down to confidence. Specifically that you weren’t confident enough...

Normalized EBITDA: How to pay less for the same company!

There are many different ways to determine the value of a company during an M&A transaction. Most of the time, the purchasing price is based on some sort of multiple (such as Firm Value / EBITDA). But what is a company’s real EBITDA?...

What to do Before Negotiating - 5 Steps

According to the authors, most people make their costliest mistakes before the parties’ even get together to talk. They go on to say that if one considers the negotiating process as an art form rather than a science, they will not properly prepare and be ill equipped when they try to strike a good deal for themselves. To help people prepare for a negotiation, the authors present a five step frame work that I want to share with you guys today and get your opinions on....

2 Tips For Transitioning to 90 Hour Work Weeks

For the time being, however, you're still in college: parties, girls, skipping class and sleeping in, and general debauchery take precedence over most other things until you're handed that diploma. Fun! But in the back of your mind, be cognizant of the fact that 90-hour-weeks are coming. How do you prepare yourself for that? Good question...

4 Keys to Keep Your Job Search a Secret

They say its always better to look for a job while you already have one. And employers love to poach valuable employees from other companies, but job searching on the job is tricky. Read on to learn how to avoid a few key pitfalls...

BO to FO: 3 Things That All Interns Should Know

Last summer, I faced the same challenge so allow me to now reveal some of my personal do’s and don’ts that you might want to consider as you devise a plan to get to the front...

Job of the Week:
2013 Summer Analyst - Investment Banking
Compensation: Compensation and benefits are provided
Details: We are looking for highly motivated individuals with distinguished academic performance for the Summer Analyst position who have a top tier educational background in business — typically economics, finance, and/or accounting, and who have a strong interest in pursuing investment banking as a career at the completion of their undergraduate degree. We also recruit individuals with exceptional backgrounds outside of business that have demonstrated an ability to understand and work with financial statements. The Summer Analyst position is 10-12 weeks in duration during the summer prior to the student’s final year of undergraduate education.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”