2022 On-Cycle

Hi all,
Wanted to put a refresher on this since. Now that most BB/EBs are nearing end of training/starting to get staffed, it's starting to look imminent.

On-cycle for 2020 kicked off mid-October 2018 while last year on-cycle 2021 kicked off September 12, 2019. Even given the pandemic it's possible on-cycle 2022 might start in a month or earlier.

Just wanted to keep this communication fresh.
SG has reached out to most BB IBD for information but no meetings yet.
If you hear updates please update with HH, which PE firms, which group you're in (BB/MM/EB), etc.

Funniest

Starting to look imminent based on the timing pattern of the last 2 years... hmm I wonder if there's something this year that could potentially affect that pattern

Interesting thing is MS analysts have been on the desk for a month. Some are close to announcing deals already (not many but a few). Seems like they’ll have the upper hand the earlier on cycle is

Have a close friend who is an associate at a NYC MF PE office. Says they will only plan to hire 1, maybe 2 if they believe the candidates are exceptional, during the first wave of OCR. For reference, the average class size in this office has been 5-6 associates per year.

I have heard this is true if on-cycle is virtual / early this year. If it is in-person in say, November or December, I bet the hiring will be fairly similar to years past (hire most of your class on-cycle, leave a few spots open for off-cycle).

It’s been said multiples already but deal experience is not very relevant for on-cycle PE interviews. If you’ve been on the job for 1 month and you are about to announce deal, what do you think you realistically did do drive that process forward? Maybe a few stock price charts and setting up call invites? Interviews are much more about answering technicals correctly, showing that you’re a cultural fit, and you have a genuine interest in investing. I repeat deal experience does not matter.

I know many first years in my banking group that got MF offers without ever even going into a VDR. It’s a much different story for off-cycle, but any PE firm interviewing fresh grads after a few months of banking won’t care about the calendar invites you sent out to “announce” the deal.

I don't think this is true! From speaking with past successful IB -> MF on-cycle: they all said the main focus on interviews was deal experience and more importantly what they thought about the deal from an investing perspective. Obviously they all nailed the LBO and technicals. Again, maybe they don't particularly ask for deal experience in interviews, but this is what the successful candidates all seemed to confirm. I think you really need a step-up especially given how many target school + group first-years are now seeking to get into PE on-cycle and how prevalent all these technical guides/case studies are nowadays. It's easy to study technicals and practice modeling tests but the deal experience is something not replicated so easily/quickly through self-study. Really gotta be in a good group / good deal staffing to have that unique transaction work to talk about, especially with NYC MF associate classes numbering 50 or fewer...

Array

would guess firms are aiming to kick off on-cycle in the Fall; if someone tries to kick it off before then I'm sure the firms would all move quickly

the big reason firms are waiting and not recruiting during COVID is because they value seeing people in-person so not sure people are looking forward to starting recruiting in the next few months before employees are back to the office (correlates with vaccination roll-out and general comfort)

everything is pointing to returning after Labor Day but then again if someone starts it then none of that matters

Array

Have headhunters already started reaching out and having in-person/virtual meetings? Also, any updates on the on-cycle timeline would be appreciated.

Quasi error enim voluptatem facilis et eos. Aut voluptatem nihil dicta perferendis. Architecto consequatur qui quis temporibus. Et quia quo non esse voluptatem. Qui est omnis inventore culpa ut cum aut.

Eum velit laudantium quis cum illo pariatur et. Eius consequatur animi eos aperiam. Et eos quia consequatur beatae quod nostrum non.

Aliquam minima quasi voluptates cum. Ad est totam sint voluptatem est et soluta provident. Ipsum adipisci libero sint similique laudantium. Et accusantium quidem harum amet.

Ut debitis alias placeat unde id. Consequatur nulla neque reiciendis consequatur. Voluptas aspernatur et rem enim quia velit.

Exercitationem harum ab quis dolor fugiat vitae. Inventore eum possimus sed ad doloremque sapiente.

Ex et autem aut odio ut quasi. Praesentium labore nisi ab perferendis eligendi inventore tenetur. Distinctio est accusantium sunt atque. Odit sed officiis qui accusamus et. Quia debitis error tempore doloremque reiciendis sapiente.

Tenetur quis sed corporis soluta. Voluptatem cum aperiam voluptatem.

Laudantium animi nesciunt et corporis. Odit voluptatem porro dignissimos aliquid. Vel aliquam eaque error corporis sint. Ut possimus eveniet odit dolorum explicabo molestiae autem. Debitis omnis quibusdam unde sint nihil ut esse. Ea eos hic dolorem et rerum ullam error.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (90) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (205) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”