Sales and Trading Bonuses 2023

It's close to the end of the year and you know what that means. Another bonus season is soon to be upon us.

Obviously headlines have not been encouraging recently, but would like to get some chatter going about what expectations are. 

Let me get the ball rolling:

BB AN2 (will be AN3 after this bonus round)

Base $125k 

Expected bonus $90k

Haha I just threw 140k out of my ass while I drunkenly wrote that.  But this year has been phenomenal for my desk so I do expect an outlier number.

US banks won't pay in line with revenues this year except for top outliers that have leverage/offers/known to be in a team targeted by competition.

CEOs have decided they needed to cut comp due to economic outlook, IBD being a clusterfuck this year, and some potential other dead bodies we still don't know about (whatsapp/regulatory fines ? Elon musk tesla margin loans going belly up ? other ?)

To give an idea, i am hearing that the best department at my place (Commods) is up 70-80% Yoy but the pool is flat.

Coconut1983

To give an idea, i am hearing that the best department at my place (Commods) is up 70-80% Yoy but the pool is flat.

I get why they are doing this but this is so fucked up.

Is that a stub bonus and did most people on your team get lower bonuses? 

Whatttt? Pls tell me it’s not one of the Canadian banks :(

Did you have competing offers? Bonus is about 100k higher than others in this thread, wondering how your situation was different?

D1, Exotics top BB

Slightly more than 1m total vs 800 last year.

(around 350 fixed 650 bonus - 350/300 cash/deferred stock)

Had competing offer + desk is up significantly vs last year…

And they tested the waters trying to not honour the deal but did in the end.

This year is a bit garbage, unless you were top tier desk and/or competing offer you got hosed.

Plenty of zeros or big double digit cuts. Lucky to have timed the offer.

Almost thinking to bounce elsewhere this year as that created a bit of tension.

Top bucket in higher MM FICC- AO3, 175k base, 175k bonus. Elevated to VP1

FYI quite a few people at different banks have received around 100% of base (An/As). Will caveat that by mentioning they are all top bucket. Not sure how it came about that people at the same juniority in the same division are having widely varied comp assuming the people receiving <40k aren’t very bottom bucket. 

maplesyrup334

What is the bonus based on? I thought analysts don't put on trades ? 

S&T analyst bonus works basically the same as IB. There are buckets, you'll be ranked based on performance (and political capital of your manager and the usual BS like that). The pool will be based on bank/S&T wide performance and not too much on specific desk.

(Note, this applies to formal analyst programs, if you are on your desk's actual P&L it might be different)

AN2 at MM bank, FICC sales, base 115 -> 125k bonus 80k.

Junior Power Trader (AN1)

Prop shop

Base: 150k

Bonus: 350k

Pretty happy, but good year for the firm.

Anonymous Monkey

Junior Power Trader (AN1)

Prop shop

Base: 150k

Bonus: 350k

Pretty happy, but good year for the firm.

PM? Interested in learning about the firm.

No pain no game.

BB S&T

Analyst 1 starting salary: £70 base

Analyst 2 (4-5 months after joining, everyone got upgraded to A2 in the new year): £75 base, £30k pro rated bonus

Not disappointed about comp. Only disappointment comes when realising American colleagues are better paid for the same job even when accounting for living expense differences across different geographies.

NYC BB S&T - An0 (european bank)

$110k base + $20k stub + $10k signing 

Heard An1 was $115k base + ~$50-70k ballpark

Trading house, senior trader (cross commodities, energy and emissions), EU based, 300k usd base + 3.2 mio usd bonus (have % of pnl after cost, was a very good year), 30% of it is deferred over two years though.

10yoe out of which 8 in energy trading (8 EU, 4 US+oil). I got offers from both funds and trading house and decided for the latter as salary and % pnl (in contract) were much higher. Should have added I came to start the energy desk and set up my own pod (have capital allocated to trade, similar to a HF).

aso1

150k -> 160k base

125k bonus

not thrilled but could have been worse, bit of a challenging year

Wow that’s great. How many yoe? How do u think FICC trading bonuses are?

Most Helpful

Sales at BBs is not easy, it has its own form of stress. Clients are ruthless, you’re fully commoditized, because really clients just trade with best pricing and at the end of the day don’t really care for the sales person, they care for the name on the door most times (banks don’t stress when seniors leave, they just pass the accounts to the next man up assuming you’re reliable). Just ask a buy side to name all their coverages and most times they name the banks they know, and then 1 or maybe 2 sales guys specifically they like. That  being said, I wouldn’t say sales necessarily needs to be paid more, but for how volatile the seat actually is, how little exit ops exist (you rank very low on the desirability from hiring managers vs other departments) it’s just not enough of a bag to say it’s worth beating yourself up over. I resonate with this comment, my 1st year associate all in salary was 235k, which is really just insane for a 60 hour job, but all other components considered it’s just not worth it, if you get cut loose it’s pretty much zero chance you make the same amount considering the exits are to like other sales jobs in other industries or hoping another bank has a seat in your product open.

I make less now doing a more technical role (research), but I feel a lot more comfortable in if I need to jump ship I have a lot more doors open and people willing to talk. My lateral to research was hell, but seems the exit op recruiting conversations and overall career experience are night and day. 

Hey yea I did not mean to sound ungrateful. I am grateful but $175k is actually not a lot for what the role is. I’m also comparing myself to peers.

I have excellent reviews so it isn’t performance related, more politics, but for instance last year best paid 3rd yr analysts in sales got $85k bonus on a really down year for banks. This year was supposed to be 1-5% better at least and i got $50k so in that sense Im like ok im getting screwed here.

But to also echo above posters its about the stress, about getting yelled at left and right by clients, traders, your bosses. 60 hour weeks in NYC where lifestyle keeps getting more and more expensive. Also 60 hours seems like not much to an IBD analyst but anyone in S&T knows that 60 hours here means 60 hours chained to the desk being honed in. You’re not playing xbox WFH waiting for comments at 1am on a deck.

~4 years into a ‘wall street’ career and I have yet to crack $200k comp in NYC. I think you can appreciate how the cost/benefit isn’t really balancing out?

I don’t expect everyone to agree but this is just my perspective. Just being transparent so others have multiple points of view and can inform their decisions.

Hope you are all doing well.

European BB
An1 -> An2
Base: 115K -> 125K
Bonus: 60K

London

An3 -> As1

Base 100->110 £

Bonus 100£

Pretty happy. Sales at meh bank.

Distinctio voluptatem dolor aut accusantium et. Provident sequi porro aliquam et beatae. Autem architecto velit officia.

Voluptatibus quidem omnis ducimus dolor cupiditate perferendis voluptate. Voluptas quos quo earum consequatur saepe totam dignissimos ut.

Dolore iste corporis natus rerum. Minus temporibus et nam. Debitis sint sint totam quidem accusamus.

Commodi aut dolores ea culpa corrupti dolor facere. Ipsum aut aliquam qui ut qui voluptas consequatur. Enim aspernatur sit quaerat ea nisi omnis est. Voluptas nostrum occaecati est non animi.

Aut necessitatibus cum dolorum velit aspernatur. Quasi autem quia accusamus voluptatum et aut numquam voluptatem. Eius vero laboriosam sint iure a et doloremque culpa. Sit quasi et eos sed eum.

Distinctio voluptatem voluptas facere maxime culpa. Aut quia totam alias. Sit fugiat aut sit omnis ipsam aut.

Placeat sed facilis sed sunt fuga aut. Et maiores quia et beatae. Et tempore fugit consequuntur perspiciatis. Similique dolorem nihil perferendis earum veritatis.

Illum corrupti dolor non dolores ratione. Qui error et voluptas omnis adipisci nulla accusantium. Enim sint eaque voluptatem ratione. Omnis enim ratione aut dolorem praesentium eum quis.

Tempora nisi sint laborum autem tempore unde sed est. In odio porro sequi sed reiciendis. Eum sed esse quia nam quia est amet.

Non iste qui quia nisi et voluptatibus qui. Nostrum harum eligendi repudiandae enim mollitia quia. Enim accusamus rerum explicabo.

Ut praesentium magni nostrum aut. Sapiente repellendus facilis praesentium vel qui dolore temporibus. Voluptas voluptatem vel cum corrupti sunt est id. Excepturi autem officiis aut quaerat quidem at. Enim adipisci eos ea.

Facere velit animi quisquam minima pariatur omnis natus. Non magnam unde est consequuntur ex. Qui enim possimus explicabo ducimus ipsam exercitationem commodi. Illo voluptatibus nesciunt nihil non aut sed nulla. Sint officiis deserunt enim aspernatur est quis quo. Sapiente aperiam dolorem nesciunt necessitatibus vel facere. Qui adipisci ut cupiditate esse.

Fugiat asperiores laboriosam quia recusandae in deleniti. Accusantium officiis eum perspiciatis repudiandae deleniti libero nihil saepe. Architecto quod voluptatibus explicabo sunt sapiente quibusdam. Natus sunt dicta voluptas esse quaerat inventore. Laboriosam voluptas perferendis quo eum corrupti est sed. Autem est quis possimus vel quia omnis eum et. Eveniet autem et corrupti nemo.

Dolore ut quos facilis labore est ut. Non ut recusandae ut suscipit nisi iusto.

Sit ipsum modi eum sed. Exercitationem eligendi suscipit sed repellat. Cumque sit deleniti consectetur eligendi. Dolore autem optio quae odit consequuntur quia odit.

Dolor saepe possimus earum ipsam in. Porro velit temporibus repellendus dolorem quidem. Rem id in eum consequuntur qui aut. Modi animi accusamus quasi sint pariatur possimus. Iusto consequuntur corporis accusantium minima. Explicabo pariatur aut voluptas est omnis doloremque.

Harum non ea ut ea saepe. Veritatis saepe animi est voluptate. Sit illo voluptatibus illo consequuntur. Architecto et totam cumque. Blanditiis aperiam amet aut natus repellendus.

Qui eaque sed ut ut recusandae. Ab aut debitis facere qui assumenda reiciendis quia quas. Corporis aut fuga nobis qui. Debitis delectus officia cum praesentium quaerat at cupiditate.

Saepe fugiat cupiditate rerum nihil deserunt ipsum fuga. Dolorem culpa ullam atque voluptas labore aut. Est eligendi eveniet repudiandae recusandae eum est ea nam. Non necessitatibus officiis eius veritatis at.

Laboriosam voluptates aut quas. Velit provident odio iure qui debitis eaque sed iure. Sed sit est autem aperiam odio rerum. Non nostrum voluptatem architecto quis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”