Any updates on Barclays 2020 SA?

Hi folks, the title speaks all. I wrote an email to HR hoping to be updated with the SA plan. After days, still got no reply. In the early of March, I wrote similar email and got a feedback within one or two days saying that the estimated start date of summer program is June 2. Now, things have changed as everybody knows but hearing nothing from Barclays for almost a month while other firms are making progress on on boarding/ virtual internship/ guaranteed FT offer/ delayed start day/ promise on no cancellation, etc really makes people frustrated. Really hope the internship is still a go and if it follows Citi’s suits that would be even better.

A Barclays VP on another thread said, at some point early this past week, that its defintiely going to happen and we should hear from HR some time this week. He said they are still deciding on whether its virtual or delayed and doesnt know whether guaranteed full time offers will be given.

Just got off the phone with HR for onboarding stuff, communication is coming this week and they "cannot wait fo have us this summer". Idk if referring to in person or virtual, but at least we're gonna know something this week

Can confirm that some sort of communication would come this week. Not sure about the detail. But let's see. NYC office

I emailed HR and they got back to me relatively quickly! Here is their response word for word:

"We have been working diligently with this situation and have yet to have all the final confirmations put into place. However, I can assure you that we will still have the internship program this year. However, it will more than likely get pushed back to the first week in July and has a good chance of being virtual. I cannot confirm if it’ll be in person or not for another two to three weeks.

Please don’t book any accommodations yet.

We apologize if we haven’t communicated as much but we’ve been waiting to hear back from the group ends for some time as well. Thank you for understanding."

I am definitely excited it’s not cancelled, and I appreciate the candid update, but I am also frustrated that there will be no further information or confirmation for ANOTHER 2-3 weeks regarding the internship. why is Barclays taking so damn long to make a decision when literally EVERY OTHER BANK has made a decision already?! it’s quite frustrating, to be honest. I really appreciate the response but this entire ordeal is quite unbecoming and unbearable. it puts a bitter taste in my mouth. I wonder if anyone else feels the same.

I appreciate your frustration, but this is overly dramatic. No, not all banks have confirmed whether the internship will be fully virtual or in-person (BAML, CS, etc). Obviously the preference for Barclays is an in-person internship, and going virtual is a worst case scenario. If they can wait on this decision and instead offer you an in-person experience (which would be better for everyone), wouldn't you be happy they waited? This is up to NYC restrictions and COVID's development, not Barclays. Yes some bank (MS, JPM, etc.) committed to virtual immediately, that was their decision. The other approach is waiting and attempting the real deal: enter Barclays and others.

That said, I completely agree they should communicate the official delay as soon as possible. This has direct impact on student schedules (and accommodation arrangements). I would like to think this e-mail update will come formally in less than 2-3 weeks, but maybe that's wishful thinking...

Either way, given unemployment is testing record highs and GDP is falling apart, let's try to focus on the positive: they are honoring the internship (virtual or not)!

I agree that maybe not every bank has made a final decision, but they have all communicated more heavily than Barclays. BAML has confirmed that there will be no cancellation and full pay, unlike Barclays. Even if there is no final decision, partial updates are better than no update. just my opinion. I would appreciate feeling like they understand the stress their lack of notification causes by sending out more updates/ideas so we can have a better understanding of what is happening. without an update, some people might even book accommodations for June. they haven’t even officially delayed the internship yet...

official email has been sent out for Barclays NYC, saying we will receive full pay and our start date has been moved to July 6th. they are still deciding if it will be virtual or in-person. definitely hope it will be in person for sure! so happy we finally got an official update. definitely makes everything a lot easier!

Is it bad news if I didn't receive this email, or do you think it is sent out in waves?

Also at Barclays IB, why would they not update us and everyone else would get an update? Are we just probably going to get the same message later?

I would assume that HR will contact us about it in the next few weeks, considering they were supposed to reach out in mid April pre-covid changes. I believe some of the groups have decided on their first-choice interns for the summer judging by conversations I’ve had over the past month about their respective timelines, but I may be wrong.

Most Helpful

Friendly neighborhood Barclays VP here.

Confirmed that start date will be July 6, 2020. Duration reduced to 6 weeks, but you will still get paid based on 10 weeks as well as relocation payment. We are still working out whether virtual or physical.

** below is personal speculation**

I don't believe there will be "guaranteed FT offers." 6 weeks, even if virtual, will be enough to tell whether you have a good work ethic, attitude, and aptitude to learn. That being said, Barclays tends to give out very high offer rates (my group's offer rate has been 100% for the past 5 years) due to our conservative, selective hiring nature for the Summer positions. In the case we do not announce guaranteed FT offers, I would suggest a high level of attention and a good attitude over the summer and you should be fine. Problems and challenges are part of the job, and your individual situation is always taken into account for any return offer. It's up to you to bring your A game, which is the same you should expect from us in terms of training and mentorship.

Really appreciate all the intel you've been sharing. I def agree that going virtual does not mean interns can push less on the job, but considering that some individuals live in environments with poor wifi / have to share their room with other people / need to help out the family when they are at home (e.g. elders or younger siblings), I do expect hardships for some individuals and genuinely hope that they can cope through them.

I would highly recommend anyone in that situation, or any other limiting factor, to communicate openly with HR and your team about your setup and situation. Nobody's going to get dinged because their wifi or family situation is bad. People get dinged because they are careless, lazy, bad attitudes (Wolf of Wall St hardo that shows up late and hung over on a Wednesday), etc. or it turns out that you straight up don't want to do banking as a career.

I get it. I'm at home taking care of my family with my toddler screaming in my ear like a USMC Drill Instructor. So are the Directors/MDs. Nobody is going to be unfair about any offers (and we aren't in normal circumstances either). Also, maybe we will end up doing auto-offers, I don't know, it's not part of the communication though. Just giving my personal opinion.

Thanks for your updates! I think this is a great outcome for the bank and all incoming interns. As you said, with a great attitude and hard work, it's in your hands to land the FT offer. I am sure Barclays hopes all recruited interns will be successful. Certainly within reason!

Not to cross-contaminate threads, but has there been any word on the cascading impacts to the FT program now that summer has been determined? I.e. any expected delays, or confirmation of virtual on-boarding?

How‘s that even possible?

Barclays in Frankfurt keeps propagating the idea that virtual onboarding was impossible. So what they wanna do is cancel internship contracts but offer to stay in contact, which is just preposterous.

The way NYC/LDN offices are condescending their Frankfurt counterparts keeps bugging me. How can it be that Barclays fosters unequal treatment among their offices??

That's seriously f'd up if true, so many other banks have confirmed that they're doing fully virtual programs so what on earth do they mean by impossible

That's really unfortunate to hear, but you have to think from the firm's perspective. Offices in different locations contribute different amounts of revenue to the company and thats certainly a factor in consideration when they make cost cutting decisions.

financechimp:

That's really unfortunate to hear, but you have to think from the firm's perspective. Offices in different locations contribute different amounts of revenue to the company and thats certainly a factor in consideration when they make cost cutting decisions.

Well it‘s not about cost cutting obviously, for then you certainly wouldn‘t extend blank offers to people you have never actually seen working.

Were cost cutting a critical factor, then I would certainly question decision-makers‘ judgement. Clearly, compensating interns for more than they actually work is hardly economical. Of course, bills still need to be paid for. However, I‘m not being compensated at all for the extra cost that I incur for being kept in the dark.

The point still is that interns at regional offices outside the US (like Frankfurt) are severely disadvantaged. The current situation is just accelerating and exposing the unequal treatment. And please, spare us these kind of arguments.

Funniest

they asked me to verify the same job like 4x and submit paystubs for volunteering at an animal shelter

Repudiandae aut accusantium est suscipit consequatur cum. Reprehenderit et dolores debitis odit consequatur aperiam. Exercitationem sed doloribus et ea perspiciatis in ipsum. Et molestiae eos quo. Molestiae a optio qui incidunt commodi autem.

Fuga laboriosam quis ea neque. Ut consequatur id corporis voluptates accusamus adipisci. Earum explicabo voluptatem nobis doloremque qui aut iure. Quia dolor est sunt facere. Aperiam suscipit sapiente similique qui.

Nihil debitis delectus dicta sit tempore laboriosam soluta. Aut ex aspernatur distinctio pariatur et. Excepturi amet quis ut sapiente. Sint et dolor eveniet sed vel et.

Dolorum et ut omnis magnam quia non. Atque omnis id illum et itaque. Nulla nisi accusantium amet repudiandae quaerat dolorem voluptatem. Est laboriosam ab ipsum accusantium quisquam veniam.

Commodi dolore doloribus dolor maxime ut odit doloremque. Saepe aperiam ipsa assumenda in alias magnam fugit.

Deserunt unde est omnis est rerum quae. Ullam neque rerum labore.

Eligendi harum vel totam. Quo ipsum tenetur et ut magni consequatur voluptate.

Modi culpa ipsa consectetur reprehenderit sed odit hic. Vitae voluptatem tempore modi ut voluptas omnis. Rerum voluptatem libero inventore. Dolorem qui deleniti reiciendis autem eveniet. Non labore veniam saepe deserunt et voluptas est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”