Banks sponsoring international students - 2022 SA

Just finished recruiting for SA 2022 and felt like contributing to this forum. I've seen a lot of BS forums where people are arguing about which banks sponsor.

From semone who's just finished recruiting as an international non target here's the list I've compiled. This is straight from HR and is only limited to IB groups.

BBs:
GS
MS (very limited)
CS
BofA
Citi (very limited)
DB

EBs:
EVR
PJT
MoCo
Lazard (some groups only, very limited )
HL (very limited)

MMs:
Jefferies
RBC (very limited)
WB (very limited)
Nomura
Cowen
BNPP
Oppenheimer

Other international banks (not that much presence in M&A):
CIBC
TD securities
Mizuho
Rabobank
Santander
SocGen
Scotiabank

P.S. - pls don't argue about bank classifications

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (58)

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 19, 2021 - 5:16pm

This is accurate. What did you end up securing as an international? Also, which country are you from?

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 19, 2021 - 5:55pm

OP: "Don't argue rankings threads"

Also OP: HL is and EV and Jefferies is MM

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
  • Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 20, 2021 - 4:04pm

HL Rx is like 20 analysts in total. Sure it's a top group but pretty disingenuous to consider all of HL an EB imo. Not that is matters

Jun 19, 2021 - 7:14pm

Curious as to where you got the fact that RBC is 'very limited', had many intl friends go there no problem for SA.

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 20, 2021 - 12:01pm

This is easily the most accurate list. I'm also an international non diverse that just finished recruiting. I'd add that Barclays is also very limited (NY Only and you need to be a target) and Lazard may have stopped entirely (senior contact).

• Intern in IB-M&A
Jun 20, 2021 - 1:26pm

Agreed. I personally know a couple international kids with F-1 going to Barclays, but that number is extremely limited. Do you think I have a shot at Barclays non-NYC offices if I have really good connections with seniors there?

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 20, 2021 - 1:29pm

OP here, I was close to someone higher up in their LA office and he was honest to me and said I've got 0 shot due to F1 status so I'd try to look for other places!

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 20, 2021 - 1:45pm

did not know Barclays selectively sponsors targets for IB - if you don't mind answering, who did you hear it from (or who I should reach out to confirm) and is a non-HYP ivy considered a target in this case? thanks!

• Intern in IB - Gen
Jun 20, 2021 - 2:34pm

I guess he means that the banks with 'very limited' have lower number of international students compared to other banks and they'll likely only sponsor if a candidate is unusually good compared to other interviewees.

• Intern in IB - Gen
Jun 21, 2021 - 6:21am

Very good list, but I would add that HL should be divided between RX and M&A. During their presentation I asked and they explicitly said RX takes international while M&A requires them to have STEM OPT. very weird policy but this is how it is 

• Associate 2 in IB - Gen
Jun 21, 2021 - 9:13am

Jpm is very limited. Avoids internationals whenever possible 

Jun 21, 2021 - 10:29pm

I just went through the FT process as an international student and wanted to give my 2 cents. 

First of all, an answer to why they don't want to sponsor non-STEM people- it's because you can only apply for the H1B process twice (assuming you are smart and apply before graduating). Since the chance of getting an H1B is about 33%, you can do the math what your chances are if you do not have the STEM extension. Why would they hire you if you are probably going home after 1 year?

As for sponsoring, shoot your shot everywhere. You have no idea who is going to like you. All of these big banks are sponsoring a lot of international kids in tech- which means they have designated departments for sponsoring. Thus, if the right person likes you and pushes for you, you might end up being hired. Just for context- I was hired by a bank that typically does not sponsor and I have spoken to several people that were sponsored by "non-sponsoring banks" (UBS, HW, Guggenheim, RJ, WF, Truist, JPM) in the past year. 

Jun 22, 2021 - 1:11am

Dude OP here, thanks for contributing. I completely disagree with your last point.

If a company has a policy and clearly states on their job application that they are not looking for F1 candidates or that the position specifically requires permanent US citizenship, they will dinge you immediately. Or if you somehow move with the process, you'll get dinged once you get the offer cause they have a policy in place.

The banks you listed did sponsor a while back. So, the people working there might have been sponsored before. International students this year got auto rejected at JPM, UBS, and WF for reference.

IMO it's stupid to network with a firm that explicitly states they won't sponsor. You are never going to get bigger than the policies no matter who the fuck you network with.

Jun 22, 2021 - 1:35am

The only exception might be banks who don't explicitly state that they don't sponsor on the job requirements and have historically sponsored less people. These are the firms that I have put in the very limited category.

You essentially have to be really good and well connected to get an offer there. I would only network there if you have a really strong connection working there.

Congrats on the offer btw always love to see a fellow international student crashing the door open.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

July 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (10) $853
  • Vice President (36) $363
  • Associates (210) $232
  • 2nd Year Analyst (121) $152
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (28) $146
  • Intern/Summer Associate (102) $144
  • 1st Year Analyst (449) $132
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (358) $82