JPM delays SA 2020 start date to July 6th

Interns will be paid for original intended duration of the internship including signing bonus. Recruitment will update later if in person internships can happen, but is otherwise planning a virtual program

Most Helpful

Surprised this announcement hasn't generated more response... isn't this information what most of members on this site have been waiting for?

Seems unlikely they would completely cancel internships... at the very least, seems like banks would institute some sort of virtual internship so they could have something to gauge competency of interns... maybe a Hirevue on steroids.

Not a fan of this decision IMO. Having kids move into the city for a 3 week SA stint? They will do a week of training and orientation and by the time everyone gets settled in the stint is practically over. And this will mean other BBs will follow suit as well.

Would you have preferred no intern program at all? Props to JPM at least for making contingency plans and not flat out cancelling.

Yeah I agree. It’s not ideal but this could of been a blood bath for so many interns if they decide otherwise. Again, the outcome sucks pretty bad, and is also pretty inefficient, but ultimately it’s better than just out right cancelling

Same here, GS have given several updates. The start date has been shifted to the 6th of July from the week prior, the internship has been shortened (although as most others have heard the financial commitment from the firm remains unchanged). I think most people expect the internship to go virtual but they're currently in process of finding best course of action with regards to this.

Gotta give JPM kudos at least for doing the best they can by their interns. Is a really tough situation but I think this is the best possible outcome if the situation is still ugly by June.

Hope other banks on the street take note and follow. Already HSBC gone the other direction so at least be happy JPM is willing to pay you guys

Goldman HR employee here:

We're reassessing the situation on a daily basis. We do not plan on cancelling the program; most likely the start time will be delayed and/or everyone will be flown in to do training, if the situation gets better, and then flown out. Worst case scenario, everything will be done remotely, and we will make sure every intern has a laptop to use at home.

Do you have any insight as to what is happening concerning incoming FT employees

I haven't heard of any companies shipping WFH interns laptops

Does anyone think this will severely affect the chance of getting FT offers if it goes virtual vs in person?

They can usually tell within just a few weeks who's getting FT or not so even if the SA stint length is severely reduced, conversion rates should be fine.

If they start paying from the original start date, are we technically working for them starting june? asking this as an international student because my permit (cpt) starts in june

I'm wondering the same thing. Another thing to be concerned about is CPT has to be on-site work. Unless we are given approval for virtual work, I'm not sure what will happen to us.

Check to see if there are exemptions granted for exceptional (covid) cirumstances. Here in the UK usually you need to physically be present to be considered onboarded for visa purposes however the government has waived the physical requirement at the moment. Worth checking in with immigration (web site or maybe email/call if they have a helpline) and your HR team.

I had the same issue when I was going to get paid a bonus prior to starting. I was told to wait until my CTP was activated. My advisor said as long as I had the I-20 with CTP authorization, it's okay to get paid so I would think so.

Wouldn't it still be 5 weeks, since the original end date was Aug 7? Most schools start later in August; they're going to contact us individually with new end dates. Also, the length of the virtual internship may not be their top priority -- they don't need multiple months to gauge who they should extend offers to.

I don’t think the CDCs prediction of something that has never happened before on this scale in modern society means that this thing going into July is “highly unlikely”. It seems entirely possible that this thing could go a lot longer, especially given the great effort made to drag it out and flatten he curve. Might be a good idea to be cautious about that one

GS in APAC followed the same route at JPM, starting date delayed to July 6th with full payment for the whole duration.

Anyone care to speculate whether JPM could follow suit and why or why not? If they did this, i'm pretty sure that nearly 100% of people would take it given the current situation, and they might have a large class.

I don't think that's likely. The only firms giving out offers to all their interns are the ones that typically already give them all offers anyway (LEK, Strategy&, Moelis). It's very possible one or more EB's will follow, and potentially McKinsey, Bain, and BCG since these firms already have a rigorous enough process that most interns get full-time offers. JPM however only gives offers to like 60%, meaning they couldn't possibly give them all full-time offers unless they had deliberately underhired this year.

Most people are saying in the other thread that JP's offer rate is generally lower, so it's not very likely. I agree, except that it might be hard for them to fairly judge interns based on a short, virtual stint. I'm not sure how they'll address that but we'll probably see in mid-April.

Of course, I am hopeful they follow Citi's lead...

Well... it's not that crazy and it could make sense given that 1) they don't have to recruit for FT 2021, 2) virtual internships don't lend themselves to distinguishing between candidates, 3) people from this SA class won't necessarily stay for all 2 years if banking isn't for them, 4) it looks good PR wise and helps with OCR relations, 5) it doesn't cost much extra to pay 20% more FT first-year analysts, especially with reduced bonuses. It actually is sensible IMO, assuming that one can't judge the performance of an intern based on a short virtual internship, which is probably why Citi/Moelis did this. Hopefully JP has a similar thought process.

Completely agree. Hopefully JP will announce that they are giving 100% return offers. Would be surprised if they didn't

Et earum optio consequatur. Eum in sint voluptatem. Sed omnis explicabo ab quis provident optio accusantium. Architecto rerum ratione eaque qui maxime eius facilis pariatur.

Minus commodi velit in accusantium molestias tempora assumenda unde. Voluptate velit possimus dignissimos consequatur rem vel labore. Sunt alias culpa magnam sapiente. Molestiae corrupti beatae non. Cupiditate et libero facere consequatur suscipit debitis. Enim dignissimos ad perspiciatis harum ut fuga.

Placeat quo rerum est sint. Beatae deleniti cum facilis eius. Eos dolorem eius atque aut unde.

Ut eius corrupti id. Quod itaque doloribus quo eum consectetur minima officiis officiis. Deleniti nobis similique inventore illo. Distinctio vero voluptate aut.

Pariatur hic vitae aut et facilis quia sit. Et dolorem sequi eaque at ullam.

Vitae laboriosam doloremque aut est. At illum ullam et adipisci qui sunt animi. Occaecati sed accusantium nobis tenetur aut est laborum. Et dolore quidem aliquid nihil. Fugit nihil consequatur ea.

Perspiciatis assumenda deserunt placeat consequatur. Rem omnis eos ipsum repellat laboriosam. Eveniet exercitationem praesentium beatae tempora et sit itaque. Numquam velit voluptatum sit harum.

Harum ab officiis consectetur. Deserunt quidem dolore et suscipit expedita at est. Nulla delectus veniam inventore aliquam et. Tenetur perferendis qui aut quis voluptas eos. Aspernatur magni et cumque qui voluptatem voluptate eligendi sed.

Ut labore ea voluptatem. Molestias dolorem at expedita hic repellat necessitatibus nobis vitae. Quas tempora repudiandae dolor magnam consequatur odit animi. Culpa tempora sapiente tenetur ducimus non aperiam illo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”