84 Comments
 

Can confirm bonuses were terrible. Bonus flat YoY with total comp increase being driven entirely by the change in base salary. 

 

Any Director numbers? Not at Citi, but want to get some idea of what comps look at for competitors. 

 

I don't have any numbers for this year because my bank has yet to do bonuses. Last year was a D1/ED1 at a BB, and my comp was 650 or so in a bad year. I was not very happy with those numbers, but I am staying because I have a very solid path to MD here and many seniors who are mentors for me. However, the comp wasn't great last year, and so I want to get a sense of what I can expect for this second year. The bonus last year for D1/ED1 was flat from my VP3 year, which also wasn't great. 

 

Hey dude, any updates on your end or what 2023 looked like for you? Want to get a sense of how comp compared for this year and last.

 

ICM

D1

250 base, 137.5 bonus (80% cash), 387.5 total

2/3 rating

On the one hand I am pretty pissed off because I am making 6.5% more on an inflation adjusted basis than I did in 2020 as a VP1 and 1.4% more than 2021 as a VP2 despite being promoted twice during this period (have an SVP level as well).

On the other hand I work 40 hours per week, take all my vacation, work from home twice a week, and basically don't check my emails outside of work hours.

Feels like a bit of a crossroads in my career to be honest because I can likely coast here for a long time but it's quite difficult to see where any growth would come from in real dollars outside of making MD which is obviously pretty difficult and is certainly not on the immediate horizon. But any jump I make would almost certainly come with significant degradation from a lifestyle perspective.

 

Ha, maybe, although I'm pretty sure it was fully unintentional and basically a byproduct of the group comp being flat overall.

2020 VP1 300

2021 VP2 330

2022 SVP1 370

2023 SVP2 385

2024 D1 387.5

Was not unhappy with comp really until this year.. 2022=>2023 was flat on a real $ basis despite having 1/1 rating last year but that was a shit year for the firm and I had not been promoted the previous year.

Being down on a real $ basis from 23-24 despite a promotion is a huge slap in the face tbh, and I actually don't think they did a good job with the number because psychologically if they had just bumped to 400 which would keep up with inflation and nothing more then I would be much much less pissed for what is really not that much more money. Which isn't really rational but it's reality.

Also those fuckers capped the 401(k) match at 12k going forward which is like a 11.5k paycut as well.

 
b43b6b7b82b87

How is it possible that VPs at Citi in London make £150k - £170k and in the US above $300k? Either you are all lying or the difference between London and NY pay is insane. What VPs make in NY after tax is almost the amount that VPs make in London before tax. Same amount of work. Mind-blowing. 
 

Can someone shed light on this?

On base salaries. 150-170 is low for London VPs and no VP in NY is making 300

Banks set comp parity based on an exchange rate of 1.5-1.6x

 

Et deserunt sunt possimus at sint alias. Et laboriosam sint voluptatibus magni ab autem aperiam est. Ab distinctio animi et ut eos. Expedita aliquam qui et esse vitae voluptatem.

Delectus quo molestiae ut ad nemo. Unde aspernatur voluptas nesciunt sed libero tempore ratione. Occaecati laudantium minima rerum impedit reiciendis sed. Tempore numquam doloribus ut ea et. Soluta consequatur aut ab earum sint est.

Et eligendi possimus ratione cupiditate quia odit sint. Assumenda consequuntur in possimus sit eum impedit. Porro quae sunt animi velit eum quaerat distinctio.

 

Illum doloribus repellendus et officia quas. Earum vel ipsam earum aut. Expedita esse sequi aut voluptatem repellendus laboriosam molestiae.

Architecto ipsam molestiae deserunt qui soluta aperiam aut. Eligendi ut autem aliquam vel. A sint consequatur qui eos.

Qui facilis eum consequatur illum voluptatem. Est veritatis rerum sint optio facilis. Iste maxime sunt soluta assumenda qui atque. Perferendis quia inventore facilis aut ad.

Necessitatibus quibusdam vero pariatur rerum aperiam distinctio. Adipisci quasi alias labore non earum. Vero accusamus iste praesentium asperiores possimus quos consequuntur ut. Itaque ad voluptatum omnis animi natus ut dolorum.

 

In ab ut eligendi totam sequi officia. Exercitationem non voluptas sed. Deleniti et sapiente numquam. Sit exercitationem deserunt porro asperiores aut. Amet vel dolore natus consequatur sequi. Aut qui neque quia. Nisi et architecto omnis.

Expedita et vel architecto debitis non. Quo totam similique eos. Nisi et optio consectetur ut voluptate. Delectus aut consectetur quasi consectetur voluptate.

Dicta et quia ut officia suscipit id ut. Qui eos cumque et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
4
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
5
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
6
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
7
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
8
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
9
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
10
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”