Can only be in TMT or HC. Most likely TMT tho. Heard they brought on some rainmaking senior bankers from Wells to spread head their Media / Telecom coverage. A friend from their team is getting crushed.

Funniest

They are the absolute kings of bottom right follow-on offerings. Outside of emailing "Truist is signed off" idk what the heck they do all day.   

Most Helpful

It’s pretty true. A combo of a few things. The new head of the investment bank has cleaned out a lot of legacy MDs and brought in ones from generally sweatier shops. Those new MDs and group heads now expect Truist to run like a sweaty M&A focused bank and are increasing the M&A and strategic pitches which is an uphill battles because even these heavy hitting MDs are having to sell the Truist name compared to the names of their former banks. The increase in M&A pitches paired with lack of previous M&A exposure at the jr level has further accelerated the sweaty hours. Some groups have had their protected weekend policy changed from Friday at 7pm to Sunday at noon to now Friday at 7pm to Saturday at noon.

General consensus among jrs is grim. We’re now regularly working until 1-2am or later while having weekends / PTO blown up but are still not winning mandates and are not getting the benefit of being positioned for great exits like other sweaty banks so there is not really a trade off happening for the hours.

I think the main driver, for atleast a couple groups I know of, is that the capabilities of analysts and associates vary greatly which leads to the same group of higher performers continuing to get blown up and staffed to max capacity while less capable jrs are coasting with staffings like pulling together PIBs and consolidating product partners pages. So while several teammates have been consistently working til 1-2am or later, weekends, and holidays there are others here that haven’t caught a new staffing in awhile.

The lack of exits is concerning. Lateral market sounds dead with layoffs across so many banks and few buyside firms show interest in Truist. I guess at this point the best strategy might be to wait until lateral market is in a better spot? Or maybe try for Aso promote if in less sweaty group? Happy to have job after recent layoffs but still feels like Truist juniors are in an awkward spot for long term career progression.

If you came to Truist expecting to become a BSD on Wall Street, then you should be concerned. There are a few every year who successfully jump to an EB/BB or or make it to the buy side. That ain’t gonna happen right now.

I would encourage most analysts and associates to have perspective / be realistic and also optimistic about their “career progression”. Truist gets shit on but in many groups there is enough deal flow to keep you busy, and the name does carry some weight, if not in the hallowed halls of WSO then around its core markets. You aren’t going to be on the streets begging. Folks jump to other regionals or Atlanta boutiques all the time - Citizens, Regions, etc. and all of those firms are trying to grow their IBD platforms, not shrink right now. An IB analyst position will also give you a leg up into RE, PERE, and Corp Dev as well. We all will be fine. 

Do you think that this is an effort, on part of the leadership, to become more of a “traditional” M&A-focused bank, growing and potentially competing with more well-established banks for deals?

And if so, do you think that this is a feasible transition in time, even if it does not bode well for Truist’s analysts at the moment?

Exactly, is a specific goal of management and are making concerted effort to do so. However, pairs curiously with downsizing NYC footprint heavily. 

I'm slightly skeptical of it working, although the M&A dealflow is so low relative to other types, AUM, etc. that it can really only go up. That segment of the market is super contested now though and Truist lost a lot of share and MDs to HL and the like post merger and during the pandemic. I don't see why HL and co. won't continue to dominate that space, even if Truist brings a balance sheet to the table. 

OP must be from TMT CLT. Deal experience is dependent on whether you're good. Deal flow is pretty solid if you're good at your job, because you will be solely responsible for execution. Also, what many people don't realize is that M&A execution is built into coverage. But would definitely avoid Truist TMT

[Comment removed by mod team]

I have been seeing a lot of TMT Truist post lately. Speaking to my own experience, TMT coverage / SLF provides solid experience to analyst. Obviously you won't be working on any MF and a lot of sell side M&A. But, people often forget how lucrative it is to just be buy side advisor as well. During my time there, I averaged 1 deal a month, and 2-3 M&A deals annually. The only people that cares about prestige is the college student on WSO. Once you come to the real world, you will soon realize no one talks about whether you closed a M&A or debt deal. People only care about how much fees you make on the deal. And, you will be surprised how much fee some of these MD working 40 hours a week are generating. And, like most banks, TMT will always be the most active group no matter which bank you're at. TMT will always be more sweaty than other coverage teams. Once, this down cycle is over, I'm sure they will start to hire more people very fast. Public companies are often very short visioned. Exit is limited but some still exit to great PE shops. Historically STRH analyst have left to Comvest, HIG, Sun Capital and Roark.

Imagine an analyst talking about the amount of fees they brought in their first year lol

As someone who worked at STRH for ~3 years, the culture has always been very sweaty and it definitely pre-dates Truist and new management. I’m not trying to oversimplify it, but the bank seems to attract or transform bankers to have a chip on their shoulder. At no other bank have I seen so much overcompensation. I’m talking pages and pages of tombstones and bios, and even the most basic pitch books are over engineered. So much inefficiency is created in their effort to compete with the bigger players. 

Their website hasn't been updated with recent deals and it's somewhat difficult to find what they've done online. Do you have any idea if they're actually on live deals or just hemorrhaging cash? Some people there have said they're investing in energy and new hires (a lot of CS guys last summer) would seem to support that, I just can't find deals they've closed.

Omnis reprehenderit totam eius dignissimos aut omnis cum aspernatur. Officiis minus officia rerum quo et rerum optio. Sequi quia et voluptates aut delectus natus.

Unde quas voluptates et excepturi deserunt. Eius dolorem odit architecto voluptas reprehenderit magni. Officia dolores ab et voluptas qui. Consequatur placeat reiciendis incidunt dicta aperiam reprehenderit.

Rerum ad in facere inventore non. Repellat quidem hic nam.

Nisi corrupti iusto est ut ex. Quo expedita omnis aut sed perferendis ullam rem. Aliquid et doloribus adipisci ipsam.

Dolorum dolor asperiores est ipsam quo consequatur nulla. Est nobis quo voluptatem cumque. Minus sint et eos et itaque. Maxime minus repellendus eos aspernatur voluptate omnis.

Sunt iure rerum quia sunt. Impedit voluptate quae aut veniam alias quaerat quis qui. Nemo vel aliquam laboriosam omnis quia. Iste neque reiciendis ducimus illum id inventore.

Dolor architecto optio unde nihil. Et consequuntur ipsum dolore dolores. Rem ad voluptates ex impedit repellat suscipit id.

Dignissimos totam ex perspiciatis ratione laudantium dolorem. Mollitia quam laborum saepe voluptas. Ea est mollitia sunt iure. Magni vitae animi nemo consequatur. Qui quasi libero error beatae. Praesentium sit nisi aperiam iste non rerum sint. Quia non deleniti ex veniam.

Sed qui rerum dignissimos ex sunt impedit. Quo nostrum suscipit ipsum ut. Est fuga non est quia laborum maiores laboriosam deleniti.

Cupiditate nesciunt ut sit. Dolores sed dicta quasi et nesciunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”