I mean, it’s not a terrible list? Obviously you can fight about X should be above Y but I think generally it’s directionally correct.

It’s interesting I actually got surveyed to fill it out this year, they send a list of like 1000 banks and ask you to score them on a bunch of factors. So this list is actually made by people in the industry

Do they make you score banks beyond 50? Scoring 1000 banks seems like a waste of time

Interest, Would you say Jeff is above ubs/db and maybe arguably cs for now but below all the other BBs? Don't see them above any current EBs for now but could change

Definitely yes imo. And while I don't necessarily think banks shouldn't be ranked as a whole, Jefferies forward growth seems much more promising than ubs, and maybe db too.

Think this list was made from surveying current finance professionals

Funniest

Lmao, the "clueless" sophomores....as opposed to the enlightened sophomores

You were literally asking questions about internships in 2022. Have you ever worked at a bank that was undergoing a restructuring? Follow up to that, have you ever worked in investment banking at all? You do realize there will be more waves of layoffs right? You realize the coverage groups have had many of their senior bankers (those are the ones who drive business) poached by other banks. People like you are the clueless ones for blaming others for being weary of going into a company that is undergoing a significant restructuring. Enjoy your CS summer internship.

Should also say that I am not downing them, there are still a lot of talented people there but nothing I said in the paragraph above is incorrect. 

Some actual IB analysts/associates actually know what happened to banks like Lehman or Greenhill in the past, and understand that there is massive risk involved in joining CS. When a bank starts to sink, three things happen: clients leave (as they see the bank as unreliable and there are dozens of other capable options out there), rainmakers leave (as they too see the bank as unreliable and have options), and morale tanks. You don´t want to be in a position where your Associates/VPs are thinking of ways out, or even whether they´ll get axed next week.

Now, I am not saying that CS is an awful choice, but any sophomore who thinks that they are being smarter than their peers is ether oblivious to risk, or an outright gambler. With the influx of Saudi & co money, as well as the reputational hit, Klein´s shady shenanigans, and the opaque restructuring plan there is a good chance Credit Suisse keeps slowly falling and never quite gets its spot back.

For reference, I spoke to a CS VP around July 2021 (a few months after the Archegos scandal) and he was sure Credit Suisse would prevail and it was just the involved departments who would see any repercussions. Fast forward to today and he unfortunately was laid off and is now working at a small LMM boutique due to the current job market. Whilst I am sure he could eventually join a BB if he wants, I would advise students to try to join a bank where the chances of conversion depend (mostly) on their performance. FT/SA recruitment is going to be a pain for the coming years.

With this being said, best of luck whether you join CS or another bank.

Some actual IB analysts/associates actually know what happened to banks like Lehman or Greenhill in the past, and understand that there is massive risk involved in joining CS. When a bank starts to sink, three things happen: clients leave (as they see the bank as unreliable and there are dozens of other capable options out there), rainmakers leave (as they too see the bank as unreliable and have options), and morale tanks. You don´t want to be in a position where your Associates/VPs are thinking of ways out, or even whether they´ll get axed next week.

Now, I am not saying that CS is an awful choice, but any sophomore who thinks that they are being smarter than their peers is ether oblivious to risk, or an outright gambler. With the influx of Saudi & co money, as well as the reputational hit, Klein´s shady shenanigans, and the opaque restructuring plan there is a good chance Credit Suisse keeps slowly falling and never quite gets its spot back.

For reference, I spoke to a CS VP around July 2021 (a few months after the Archegos scandal) and he was sure Credit Suisse would prevail and it was just the involved departments who would see any repercussions. Fast forward to today and he unfortunately was laid off and is now working at a small LMM boutique due to the current job market. Whilst I am sure he could eventually join a BB if he wants, I would advise students to try to join a bank where the chances of conversion depend (mostly) on their performance. FT/SA recruitment is going to be a pain for the coming years.

With this being said, best of luck whether you join CS or another bank.

Good post, SB’ed

"Some actual IB analysts/associates" if you're an analyst you're probably 23 years old, so born in 1999. Lehman fell in 2008, so analysts were 8-9 years old... You're a first year associate so I'm assuming you weren't older than 12 when Lehman fell..

Don't know why you're trying to act like you lived through Lehman falling lol

I am deeply curious as to the criteria Vault uses for this. Anyone know / have any idea? 

Any idea how many banks they are asked to rank? I can see if it’s like 1000 banks that the accuracy goes down

Analyst 1 in IB - Cov

Vault rankings are basically useless. Before we got the vault survey after my SA program, the program manager essentially told us 'this survey is not your opportunity to grind an axe about anything you experienced this summer. We see our internship ranking as an asset / marketing tool. You may skip the survey if you don't have a positive perspective.' For this reason, any of the rankings based on surveyed data are highly biased. Not that anyone has been taking them too seriously anyway

Heard when it comes to ranking banks however, you can’t rank your own bank so there’s no bias there and wont affect you in any way

Et quisquam eaque in ipsam voluptatem numquam blanditiis. Sunt ea itaque nemo quo sed animi. Sint repudiandae saepe ea corrupti aliquid.

Voluptates modi nobis alias expedita ex. Distinctio et quidem et deleniti. Ea eaque ipsum sit sit reiciendis.

A non similique autem ut officiis ab. Occaecati dignissimos impedit temporibus iste.

Autem sunt rerum error officiis neque doloribus. Esse mollitia maiores nisi sunt.

Voluptatem exercitationem voluptatem nemo ut autem nemo. Vel ab recusandae omnis consectetur beatae quibusdam aut. Ducimus nihil laudantium architecto qui iusto sed. Magni assumenda assumenda nesciunt tempora.

Nostrum et unde in reprehenderit a. Placeat fuga voluptas veritatis sit maiores id. Pariatur vero ea laboriosam nesciunt quibusdam est aut. Minima voluptatem voluptatem et non est.

Nihil minima ut id. Ut reprehenderit aut ipsa ducimus sit accusantium. Ut quae aut sit mollitia dolores placeat ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”