Swinging through the jungle of finance, I've gathered some bananas of wisdom for you. Based on the most helpful WSO content, here's what I can share:

• Location: Southeast - While the context doesn't provide specific details about compensation changes in the Southeast for 2023 to 2024, it's common for regional differences to affect compensation structures in finance.

• Industry: Brokerage - The context doesn't mention brokerage specifically, but it's known that brokerage roles can have a variety of compensation structures, often including a base salary plus commission.

• YOE: 1.5 - With 1.5 years of experience, it's typical to see modest increases in base salary and bonuses as you're still relatively new to the industry.

• Base: +3% - A 3% increase in base salary is fairly conservative and could be in line with inflation adjustments or cost-of-living increases, rather than a substantial raise due to promotion or exceptional performance.

• Bonus: 5% of base - A bonus of 5% of your base salary is on the lower end, which might suggest that the role is more heavily reliant on commissions or that the firm has a more conservative bonus structure.

• Commish: 8% of group's net fees - Commission rates can vary widely, but 8% of the group's net fees could be considered a decent rate, depending on the overall revenue generated by the group.

• All in: $83ish K - An all-in compensation of around $83,000 for someone with 1.5 years of experience in brokerage in the Southeast seems reasonable, though this can vary based on the firm's performance, the market conditions, and individual performance.

Remember, these are just some general insights. For a more tailored swing through the compensation vines, you might want to compare with others in similar roles within your region or reach out on the WSO forums for more specific chatter. Keep climbing that career tree!

Sources: https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/investment-banking/bonus-season-comps?customgpt=1, Q&A: 3rd Year PE Associate ($10bn+ AUM, MBO/LBO, equity, mezz, distressed debt), Predictions for IB business for 22-23, Sales and Trading Bonuses 2023, S&T Bonus/Comp Thread 2023

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

It’s kind of a revenue share/carry. So it vests based on the deals the company worked on. I believe only employees that were there that stayed during the acquisition got it. It can never go lower than the initial base amount also. I guess it’s more like RSUs for a non public company. Then the structure turned normal only Directors and above got carry/profit share. 

3.5 YOE working at a large merchant developer (1.5 in CRE)

Just got word I’ll be promoted from senior analyst -> associate (not actual titles, but our equivalent) when bonuses come out in March. 

Currently 103k base and expecting 30-40% bonus (but might end up higher). Comp jump at next title is meaningful, so my expectation is about 125k base and ~190-200k all-in for 2024. Average about 45 hours / wk

Industry: DUS Lending (Underwriter)

YOE: 2.5 

Base: $110k

Bonus: 20% (down year)

All in: $132k

Pretty sweet setup for the hours (40-50 max), but it’s pretty repetitive and you don’t get much creativity in underwriting since everything has to conform to FNMA/Freddie guidelines. That being said, if you’re efficient it’s pretty much rinse and repeat. If staying in the debt space, I’d like to pivot to production. If not, development interests me. 

Good for you. How did you end up at the family office? 

Honestly, it seems luck had more to do with it than anything. The job listing wasn't heavily posted and I was competing against candidates more senior to me (and therefore more costly). I joined when fairly junior for what I imagine was a decent value from the firm's standpoint and have grown in comp over the past handful of years. Although there are some things the role lacks, overall its a great gig. 

Maybe not being fairly compensated, but if you're not bringing in the business why would you get a substantial cut? I know people 5-6 years in not on a top 2-3 team but up there making $300k all in. Again they've said if you want to make more move to the brokerage side from working as an Associate/Senior Associate.

Seems on a top team it's built in business so see if you could move to the execution side? I think it also has to do with the market, where this year was slow for sales so maybe that's why your bonus was low?

Yeah already got the bump to associate this summer. You're correct, I'm working at one of those firms on an institutional team (likely one of top 4 teams in the city). Tough to see my comp so low when I have peers on the acqu side making as much if not significantly more for way less work (and less insane senior staff), but appreciate the insight.

Most Helpful

Just got bumped to VP so figured I'd share.    

Industry: REPE; primarily direct dev/acq deals on my side of the business, not writing LP checks (though we do have allocator funds that do LP equity/pref). $5-10Bn total equity committed over last 10 years. Latest two funds are both $1Bn+. 

YOE: 11 

Base: $200k 

Cash Bonus: 25% + cut of any acquisition fees + discretionary bonus based on dealflow (highest year was additional 40% of base)

All-In Cash Comp: $250k - 350k, depending on production

Carry: still awaiting final fund carry docs and updated deal-level carry splits, but based on where others at this level have been, fund+deal carry should be in the ~$100k - $300k/year range ($1M - low $2M's over 7-10 years).  Got awarded 2% deal-level carry as an associate (would've been worth ~$500-600k on initial UW), but that market tanked and I don't expect to see a dollar of it. 

Hours: 40-55 typically, at the very worst 65-70 (though that was during associate years on a very lean team with a lot of dealflow). 

I'm sure the Tier 1 city or megafund people will think I'm vastly underpaid in cash, but I love the team, lifestyle in this city, investment thesis, and the asshole factor is incredibly low.  Dream role for me. 

Solid on the carry, but you're definitely underpaid on cash comp for a fund that big regardless of where you're located. Those size funds are paying associates that level of cash comp these days and I'm not talking just about CA or NY, although naturally that's where most of the funds are located. Maybe there's a mismatch in title vs. YOE though - I'd say that cash comp is fine for a 1st year VP, but I'd also say a first year VP is typically closer to 7 YOE vs. your 11. Were all 11 of your years in institutional acquisition roles?

For clarity, the title you have is Analyst > Associate > Manager > Director?  Do you feel like you're getting hosed on comp? What asset class are you in?

First question- yes basically. 

Second- hard to say but would be curious how my value add would stack against people who outearn at a similar level. The one thing to bear in mind is this is a REIT and REITs have a rep for lower compensation in general.  That said, lately I’ve been thinking much more frequently about the hours and COL weighing more heavily on the scale than TC

Industry: Institutional Dev (Hines, Related, etc.)
YOE: 2
Base: 100 -> 105
Bonus: 45%
Hours: 45-55 occ. 60

Feels like I’m comped pretty fair but curious to hear more analyst positions.

Hines probably would be a similar base, but Hines bonuses for associates and analysts are only 30%

was previous experience within RE? are you expecting analyst-->associate bump soon?

I’m at a large regional bank. My hours are generally not terrible for a 1st year, about 50-55 with rarely any weekend work. The bonus isn’t pro-rated, but this year’s is especially low. They try to justify the low bonus by saying I have the flexibility to try different groups as part of the rotational program. I feel Iike I’m treated like an intern in terms of comp lol. For comparison, a full-time first year who isn’t part of the rotational program makes $95-100k base with 25-45% bonus. The gap in comp is terrible. However, Others that have completed the program say they were compensated well once they “placed” in a permanent group.

Dang I'm at a GSE and it's not much better. 

Got wacked on bonuses including like admins. I feel the large leap frog from DUS and GSE to Agency will begin. 

To be fair Agency volume was down +25-35% in originations. Seeing many places cut bonuses even more to retain employees or they just are laying people off. Unless there is other avenues of revenue the smaller lenders are going to get smacked. I see high turnover, but the issue is there isn't a lot of places to go. The Agencies are hiring but are very selective right now, but should open up before the other side does. 

I've thought of hopping to a agency. 

YOE: MBA + 6 years

Industry: Development for Multifamily REIT

Base: $195k -> $220k (promotion)

Bonus: $150k (target was $95k)

Target Comp for 2024: $350k (~20% increase in total compensation on promotion)

Hours: 40-45 most weeks

I wish I got more cash comp on the promotion, but hard to complain when my bonus outperformed by so much. 

Industry: REIT
YOE: 3.5
Base: $85k to $100k (promoted)
Bonus: $20k
All in: $105k

Industry: CRE - Asset Management

YOE: 9

Base: $160k

Hours: 30-35 hours/week

Bonus(es): Company contributes ~$5,000/year to my 401k and $40,000/yr to my pension and pays for monthly health insurance.

All In: $205k? ($160k base + $45k/year in retirement contributions...however you want to value that...) 

YOE: 8

Field: Strategy/Research at REPE

Title: was “Director” now “Senior Director”

Base: +13%, new base is $230k

Bonus: 40% of base

New Target Bonus: 60% of base.

Industry: Development
YOE: 5.5 (no MBA)
Base: $135k —> $155k
Bonus: 30% (25% target) —> undefined, probably 35-50%
All in: $175k —> $200k-235k

Industry: REPE
YOE: 3+ in RE, 2+ in Finance
Base: 89k -> 94k
Bonus: 25%
Hours: averaging 50

Significantly down leveled and underpaid.

Rerum eius et pariatur accusamus consequatur aut. Repellendus omnis nam quia voluptatem distinctio exercitationem reiciendis est. Ducimus ullam accusamus consequatur ipsum. Earum perferendis officiis voluptatem est facere. Est consequatur a facere delectus quos labore sed. Perferendis et pariatur accusamus molestias est soluta ut. Numquam cupiditate officiis nostrum quos.

Pariatur consequatur nemo exercitationem iusto rerum culpa. Eos omnis nisi quaerat est dolorem enim. Ut quas neque vitae qui. Rerum ex velit autem odit distinctio quibusdam illum. Iure possimus quidem officia perferendis tenetur.

Quia voluptatem ipsa aut eligendi aut et. Dolor minima doloribus quia provident hic repellat inventore. Illum inventore recusandae nesciunt est qui.

Illum nesciunt incidunt corrupti. Molestiae ex sequi laborum quaerat sed quidem. Ratione inventore aut ex omnis sint qui at. Placeat ut praesentium commodi inventore ea.

Qui inventore debitis suscipit impedit amet qui. Eligendi error nihil ut ratione cumque ad maxime. Iste non aut deleniti quaerat et est quia facere. Officiis in omnis id explicabo quo. Consectetur id facere aut quibusdam.

Expedita aut sit commodi maxime placeat et eligendi excepturi. Debitis impedit natus ut sit. Molestiae aut dolorem repellat sunt atque. Nam cumque non eligendi iusto officiis est repellat aut.

Tempora ea velit non vel non deserunt mollitia. Perferendis aliquam soluta aliquid qui. Tenetur molestiae necessitatibus delectus.

Laborum expedita cumque officia facilis fuga. Autem est nostrum unde pariatur. Provident debitis sint reprehenderit nesciunt. Non quaerat totam totam labore ducimus qui. Consequuntur eos aspernatur sunt sunt perspiciatis harum ut.

Aut commodi et esse alias perspiciatis. Ut maxime enim aut itaque nemo doloribus. Odit adipisci praesentium culpa id.

Eum qui ducimus rem ut sed dicta cumque iure. Beatae cum beatae saepe perferendis molestiae dolorum veritatis adipisci. Maiores corporis consequatur debitis ad. Qui amet sequi quam ipsum et possimus et. Cum non voluptates qui tempore.

Nemo vero nostrum excepturi eos. Delectus commodi laborum libero quae occaecati fugiat. Reprehenderit qui qui aut officiis voluptatem. Hic velit fugit ab alias. Quibusdam nihil accusamus alias sed. Quis est provident sit tempore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”