Caring for terminally ill parent while in IB
Hey all - throwaway account here. Can I get your help on something?
- One of my parents is terminally ill and is expected to pass away soon (oncologist has provided estimates of 3-6 months but I know these aren't accurate).
- I am currently stuck in a chill job with good working hours. The issue is that it is a dead-end job with next to no progression so I can't hang around too long + I am on the wrong side of 30 already so it's not like I have time on my side to make a move to IB.
- I am currently interviewing for IB positions and the thought of not being able to care adequately for my parent does concern me.
- I can slowly see that my parent's healthcare needs are escalating. For example, can longer use the phone herself and sometimes isn't aware of where she is. Had to bring her into the hospital twice just last week.
What I have considered
- Get relatives to help. This will not work. My other parent has health issues too. My siblings aren't exactly helpful.
- Get temporary nursing help. My ill parent hates dealing with new people and I can understand this as a familiar face (like mine) is certainly a source of comfort.
- Don't do IB, go to another role that can potentially allow me to develop relevant skillsets with a better work-life balance. This will allow me to transition out after my parent passes. I considered gunning for Corporate Development. Had tried for these roles and not been successful :(
- I was wondering whether anyone here can share their experience of working long hours in IB all while being able to take care of a dying parent?
- Any advice for someone in my position?