Macquarie 2022

Does anyone have any thoughts on Macquarie in regards to groups, culture, comp, hours, exits?

I have heard the infrastructure groups are strong but know little else.

Updates on the timeline would also be appreciated. (also asking about NYC process)

Have first rounds even come out yet?

Have first rounds even come out yet?

Applied to MIRA and networked— haven’t heard back. Target, non-diversity

Most Helpful

Target school kids have an easier time getting noticed like any bank, but in my experience Macquarie's been more focused on GPA and general intelligence than pedigree. MacCap's regular superday last year had people from Ivy Leagues, state schools, and everything in between. Lots of finance/econ majors but a heavy dose of math/engineering and liberal arts as well. People from all those backgrounds made it through.

Interview process was pretty rigorous, with GPA weighing heavily on success during the resume screen. First round was an IQ test with components similar to (though more difficult than) Mensa-style tests. Second round was a phone call with basic fit and technical/brainteaser questions. Superday varies depending on interviewers, though technicals are normally fairly difficult and nailing the fit portion is essential for an offer. 

That being said, after you get into the process, your school's importance goes out the door, and you're left to your wits. There's no quota for how many non-targets they take, and many non-targets make it through every year. From what I've seen, all the interns share the same intelligence and mindset that the bank's after, and that's what they try to target more than anything else. 

Realistically, you're going to be hard-pressed to find banks that will take a chance on an applicant from any school with a 3.4 GPA without strong experience, extensive networking, or one hell of a story. In the case of some banks, resume screening software won't push through a resume for consideration without a 3.5 or better. If you're interested in Macquarie, reach out to analysts and get your name out there so you have a shot at someone pushing you through to interviews.

I also came from a nontarget which is why I said school background isn't essential. The difference was that I had a 4.0, applied sight unseen, and got an offer without any networking. I got extremely lucky. Looking back, it was a stupid thing to do, and I would never recommend anyone follow that path. Regardless, most of the interns I spoke with had high GPAs (3.8+) or had alums/close connections pushing for them every step of the way. 

To answer your question, not only is it worth it to network there, it's absolutely essential to have a shot. Whether you have the time and resources to commit to it is entirely up to you and your interest in the bank. 

Can we apply to the normal round if we applied and (presumably got rejected) from the accelerated round? I applied MIRA accelerated but I might apply to the IBD this round if possible.

Macquarie NYC is horrible, except the IEG group, which you can only get into if you have deep ties with current members (like alumni or family).

Last summer, they pretty much only gave return offers to 1/4 of their intern class. Further, in the following months they proceeded to downsize their IB and laid off 40% - 60% of IB employees and combined a bunch of groups together. It’s a shit show there.

Source: I interned there last year and kept in touch with many analysts who got laid off / lateraled. HR are a bunch of elitists — they took a month after the last day to give us our return offers, and kept delaying it each week. I didn’t end up getting one, but I def dodged a bullet and now work at an EB.

Yeah sorry should’ve clarified — this is MacCap.

MIRA on the other hand is a solid place to be for Infrastructure PE.

LOL can't get into IEG unless you have alumni or family connections? Riddle me this: how does a group composed of mainly Australians from VP up and juniors from multiple countries require family or alumni connections to get placed in the U.S.? Most of the interns I talked to didn't network within IEG much, if any, during placement - they just ranked those teams first. 

What happened last summer was shitty, and you have every right to be mad. Though from what I understand, the teams that got cut had substantial performance downturns during the pandemic and weren't generating enough revenue to stay afloat. Even some of the top non-IEG teams turned into sweaty pitch-fests. They cut the underperforming teams and moved on, that's how business works. 

That’s my point exactly, why would you pursue a declining firm? It’s not worth it unless you join IEG.

And you’re wrong, majority of the interns shared schools with current A&A’s. So my point still stands. VPs and above don’t really influence recruiting.

Thank you for sharing your experience at Macquarie. Can you shed some light on your FT recruiting process after not getting the return offer? I've heard that it's pretty tough for anyone to go about the FT process, more so if you don't get a return -- would appreciate if you could share how you went about the process so successfully (Macquarie to EB is very impressive) 

Interviewed a strong non-diversity kid last week. I wasn’t given any background on the process or how his resume got on my desk so I’m not sure whether the candidate was accelerated or networked heavily. When we kickstart recruiting it usually moves pretty fast. Strong candidates are usually interviewed first and the turnaround is less than a week. I honestly haven’t met a single person that says, “hey, we are interviewing the target kids this week and the non-targets next week”. If you are smart, know your shit and I like you, I genuinely dgaf where you go to school. You could live in middle of nowhere Iowa for all I care. Macquarie usually works the same way, if you have a high GPA and do well on the initial screen, your school matters less and less. I went to a top 3 school and networked pretty heavily because I genuinely liked the bank and an analyst ended up referring me directly to HR. I don’t think the name of my school was mentioned or seen until 1st round or SD. Gotta get that non-target mentality out of your head ASAP. Good luck!

I get that, thank you so much. Sometimes it gets to my head.

But in general is Macquarie doing recruiting? Had an analyst push for me and send my resume over to HR but haven't heard anything yet for NY

Just got first round, it says this is for the accelerated process. Does anyone know if that means anything 

Would recommend anyone interested in PE to apply to MIRA rather than MacCap. The latter is decent in Infra advisory whilst MIRA is one of the best PE funds for Infra with continuous exits to KKR, Carlyle etc

Any insight on exits from MacCap Infra advisory? Arent they one of the biggest names in infra advisory so logically exits (albeit limited to infra) would be top tier still?

Has anyone else had their 1st rounds yet? ANyone know about timeline or when to expect to hear back?

I did my first round last Tuesday. Has anyone heard back? 

I just received the assessments. Did they tell you how long you can do it? Like 3 days or sth? Cus I never received anything that indicates the time.

Have they only done SA 2022 interviews/SDs so far? Anyone know is theyve kicked off FT 2022 interviews?

Which group was this for ? Infra/Energy or some other group

Is MIRA or Maccap taking FT 2022 Analysts? I see theres a maccap posting up on the site but does anyone know if MIRA is as well?

Did you have a SD with software group? Or any idea on how long to hear from SD if for SA?

Had a 1st round for SA. 50/50 of basic behavioral and technical

Mind sharing rough numbers of all-in comp at MIRA/MacCap? Heard MacCap bumped base to 100k (not sure) but MIRA hasnt?

Out look on getting over the pants if I tell a girl I work at MacCap?

Wondering as well - assuming I’ll need to travel to Australia to reap full benefits

I had a first round last week for FT. I was then notified by email a day later to send over my availability for next week (now this week) because they'd like to move forward with a final round, and in the same email I was told to complete the assessment. I still haven't heard back... should I assume they decided not to give me a final round bc maybe I didnt do too well on the assessment?

Same exact thing happened to me but I just reached back out to HR a few days later and they sent me my Superday schedule within an hour of my follow-up. I think HR at the firm is a just little slow sometimes so you just have to follow up with them if you don't hear back for a while.

nothing unexpected but know your previous internships well - be ready for questions pertaining to past jobs especially if the industry or nature of work has some relevance to IB / MacCap

Quibusdam dolorem aut culpa ut. Omnis incidunt et aspernatur qui. Aut mollitia reiciendis iste officia velit incidunt exercitationem. Voluptas iste quidem qui debitis.

Voluptates tempore consequatur incidunt blanditiis. Consequatur temporibus itaque facere. Consequatur repellat sed incidunt dolor est. Ex quis dolor accusamus occaecati. Omnis esse ratione repellendus et fuga et.

Hic voluptatem quis consequatur exercitationem eaque ab quibusdam. Rerum repellat deleniti dolorum et quam. Quia dicta aperiam asperiores corporis.

Tenetur nesciunt vel cum dolorem nesciunt nisi eveniet molestias. Et incidunt id ut ab ab quia at fuga. Eveniet fugiat earum praesentium qui qui inventore. Aut sit consequatur pariatur sunt ullam rerum harum. Veritatis iusto ipsum vel animi recusandae omnis molestiae. Autem praesentium assumenda minima totam unde voluptates.

Voluptas vel perspiciatis molestias ea. Ducimus rem quo voluptate magnam voluptatem quia. Ipsum dolorum sint dolores suscipit. Voluptatem alias ullam ipsam culpa debitis corporis.

Iure totam alias ut vel sunt. Est vero earum non ea sit ab et unde. Enim modi occaecati qui voluptate modi unde quisquam.

Alias eveniet et vel ratione consequatur. Blanditiis deserunt atque inventore sit enim velit ut. At maiores atque quisquam laboriosam velit excepturi pariatur ex. Quidem veritatis quasi deleniti aut corrupti distinctio.

Deserunt voluptates porro consectetur eligendi consequuntur totam. Fugiat hic minima est et illum incidunt dolorem. Nisi totam est blanditiis.

Id necessitatibus culpa sequi ad placeat. Molestias placeat quod sit nemo. Tempore tempore voluptas debitis sunt et.

Autem et ratione reiciendis et. Ut molestiae vitae consequatur cupiditate. Itaque dolorum rerum aliquam quis tempore eos sed. Minus et molestias aspernatur illum nisi officia dicta. Totam hic officiis provident repellendus culpa totam in quia. Et voluptatem sit maiores dolores.

Quos cum eos ipsam sunt ab blanditiis voluptatum. Optio quisquam mollitia omnis enim. Dolores odit reiciendis cupiditate omnis aliquam inventore.

Qui quia possimus qui asperiores unde doloremque. Maxime eum blanditiis et totam. Est explicabo atque dolores aliquid. Repudiandae similique rerum consequatur expedita voluptatem.

Molestiae iure aut voluptates unde eveniet. Magni hic occaecati pariatur quia minima in rerum voluptatem. Occaecati ea fugiat dolorem qui commodi ut voluptatibus. Rem veritatis accusantium blanditiis quaerat quis sed. Quasi fugit dolorem maxime dicta blanditiis ipsam. Ut id consequatur a voluptate ut dignissimos.

Aut incidunt a ad error. Et voluptas itaque unde veritatis porro laudantium molestias.

Error id fuga vel sed nam aut ut. Minus nam molestiae eum accusamus voluptatem illum placeat porro.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”