Point72 SA 2020 New Externship Program

Just a PSA, Point72 created a virtual externship program for this summer. Here's what was in the email:

We've heard that many internship opportunities for this summer have been cancelled, leaving students in limbo and unable to build skills and network. Especially for the Class of '21, this is a crucial time to explore options before graduation, and we want to help.

Our Point72 Academy team is hosting an intensive, four-week, virtual externship this July. Selected students will be coached by our Academy and Investment Professional Development teams, gain insights from Point72 Investment Professionals, and work with peers to prepare and present case studies to our teams.

Point72 will provide a competitive stipend, and successful candidates will be invited to interview for our 2021 full-time Point72 Academy Associate class.

The program runs from July 6th-July 31st, and we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis through May 15th.

Do you know who the email was sent to (like just certain schools/years)?

who are they targeting for this? to my knowledge a lot of the better internships haven't been cancelled, but moved online already

I have been in communication with recruiters for Point72 about this programme, as my current position requires to discuss opportunities for my organisation. The process is on a rolling basis( first come first serve), there will be a phone screen, superday offer. The process is estimated to be relatively accelerated when compared to banks and P72's typical internship process.

they arent taking international students as well it looks like - which is weird

The program is described as “intensive” and during the same week most banking internships are starting now that they have moved virtual. I’m assuming your trolling but that sounds like a fast track to no return offer and a poor performance review on this...

Interesting how this can only lead to an interview for a FT position instead of an actual FT offer...

This is tempting, but yes, seems like bad idea to do in conjunction with another internship. I would think that, if firm you have current internship found out, they probably would view it as lack of commitment to their program. Plus, as said above, who even knows if doing two of them at same time is even doable.

I wonder if other companies will follow suit and put similar programs in place

They sent this email over a few different avenues. I applied last year so I got the email directly from them (assuming it just went out to everyone who applied to the SA program), but I also go to a target and got this blasted via like 9 different email lists/handshake etc.

Also worth noting that they mention a 'competitive stipend' so its very unclear what Point 72 is getting out of this- I wonder if they intend on hiring a significant amount of people from this or if its just for the good press.

Does anyone know how the interview process will work?

Is it hirevue -> first round -> superday -> offer?

I heard about through an email today from a team that collates several virtual opportunities for college students during the pandemic. I'm a rising sophomore, and says that this is targeted at juniors. But does anyone have an insight on whether it's worth it for me to apply anyway?

"The beauty of me is that I'm very rich."

I am the sponsorship chair for an organization sponsored by Point72, and I have been in communication with them regarding the programme. The externship programme is exclusively for juniors; students in other grades should reach out to recruiters about the Summer 2021 Internship Programme( Recruiting for that picks up in late July).

The program is targeted for people who don't have an internship or who have had theirs cancelled. There wouldn't be time for both.

yikes...that sucks...Im not sure why they did the no sponsorship as they dont do it for other programs

when did you apply? Did they instantly send you the rejection after you applied

Interning at a BB this summer so I'm not eligible for this, but want to be on the radar of Point72 for full-time recruiting just in case. Are there any initiatives to indicate interest in the firm for those who can't apply to this?

They just sent out an email.

"Good afternoon,

Thank you for applying to the 2020 Academy Externship role. For further consideration and in order for us to best understand your availability to complete the program, please respond (in detail) to the question below. Kindly respond by 8:00am ET on May 7th.

Have you committed to, or do you intend to commit to, any other employment opportunity, internships or similar during the month of July?

Best,

Academy Recruiting"

I really want to do it but idk how to manage this with a full(consulting) internship?

with that being said whats the process from now on? was there a screen before to decide who/who doesnt get this email....then first round....then superday? how competitive is this program seen as its basically a 4 week crash course

In terms of competitiveness I would argue probaly much harder( in terms of acceptence rate %) than internships at banks. You have canidates who have had their internships cancelled in tech, consulting, financial institutions, startups ( the audicence this externship is meant for) in addition to all of the kids who could not get an offer for the summer all applying to this one program. Also, Point72 only has 1,400 employees so I would not expect any class size to be that large.

If the process for this programme is the same as full time it go in the following order( based in information recruiter told me): First round interview Case study Inteviews with investment professionals and senior leadership Background Check.

If the internship is in July, then they will have to move very quick - wonder how many rounds of interviews they will do/how it will deviate from their normal process

I wonder how this experience will be viewed in terms of applying to FT roles

How "in detail" did you all go into explaining your July situation. If I already responded that I do not have not accepted an internship, nor do I plan too. Should I send a follow up email saying " Just for context, my summer internship at XX was canceled due to COVID-19"

Its on my resume, I just didn't process the "in detail" until after I sent the email.

Anyone got any idea what kind of questions they would ask for the phone screen? Just in case.

If everyone got the email, that is a lot of going through them all for their recruiting team; surely it would've been more efficient for them to have y/n q's on the initial app. Purely speculation, but there must have already been some degree of screening

Anybody considering reneging an offer if offered the Externship? Also what are the chances they find out you have accepted an offer if you respond to the email that you have no plans in July?

I’m gonna be working on both simultaneously. There’s no way I’m gonna risk my actual internship for this. Also my bank’s program is only 4 weeks so it’ll be a grind for a month

Most Helpful

I might be in the minority when saying this but C'mon. You are lucky enough to still have an internship this summer, whereas other people are stuck with nothing to put on their resume or anything in their bank account due to coronavirus. The externship isn't meant for you, it is an opportunity for people who aren't lucky enough to still have summer work, just seems pretty selfish to me.

Funniest

Are you seriously stupid enough to think they do not have outside checks in place to make sure this doesn't happen? You realize Compliance exists, right? And by doing this you will be violating about 300 securities laws by working in heaps on confi info while at P72. You are going to get caught, you are going to not only get "in trouble"; the firm will bring down every last lawyer they have to prove that you are engaging in this and distance themselves from you. You will be blacklisted from finance for the rest of life.

Your arrogance, ignorance, and stupidity are astounding. Go bring down some other firm you dipshit idiot. You are proof that God has a sense of humour. In the land of the witless, you would be king. Your inferiority complex is completely justified. I'm jealous of all the people who haven't come across you yet. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

I second this, as someone who had their internship canceled its been tough having to find something else especially when no one gets back to you and you have to deal with more than just internship problems

based on the email... do you guys reckon for those that put 'i have nothing on in july' in some form or another will have first rounds next week

corrolation one was a pretty interesting test...defo what dinged me

Does anyone know how many they will take for this externship program?

Surely if its just like doing online classes they will take a lot? no?

Hey 2 questions:

1. what kind of questions are asked in Correlation one test? Can anybody give few quick examples so that I could have a sense of what to expect

2. anyone have ideas / or wanna discusss the hirevue question 2&3?

Yeah thx!

I just wanna know a little bit about the Correlation one test. Can you give a few quick examples? I have only done the logic reasoning and data inference test, not the finance part. Just wanna know what kind of questions to expect in the finance part. A lot of accounting?

no its not, just take the test and dont really worry about it. you either know the stuff or you dont and we dont know how they will view scores. Plus if you get dinged so what, just try your best mate

To everyone who keeps asking questions on here, your best bet is to take the test. No point asking your competitors for hint/tips as who knows what they will say. And even if people do help you out, having the same answer wont benefit either

I mean for sure it will be Hirevue>Correlation One; I'm not even sure if the Correlation One will be heavily weighted in terms of final interview decisions - its most likely like the pymetrics/assessments for other companies that matter for nothing; although I could be wrong - perhaps someone with more knowledge could chime in

do you guys think there will be another round after this hirevue? hopefully they already cut a lot of people during the resume screener lol

Who knows, its not really an internship. its basically a 4 week online course. sure they pay us, but then they get a better applicant pool for FT recruiting, so perhaps not

Does anyone know if we will know if we have offers by 27th May, or if we are just moving through to next rounds on 27th May?

lol everyones asking but no clue... tbh they can fit in one more round before giving offers as time can allow to go through background check before July 6th, so its possible.

Fugit sed fugit dolorum. Porro nulla ipsa esse culpa placeat. Ipsam dolores cupiditate perferendis harum velit in.

Aut laborum vel labore aut omnis molestias distinctio. Architecto quo sequi consectetur aliquid a. Porro eos qui et culpa sed. Est quidem ut aut nihil facere perferendis perferendis.

Dolorem et nobis adipisci velit quia. Labore voluptatum in vero possimus. Tenetur ex quia vitae quas et dolorem.

Consequatur molestias est voluptatum dolor doloribus. Est dolor tenetur quos minima natus. Repellat aperiam soluta eum et delectus vitae qui praesentium.

Rerum molestiae vitae officia error. Magni pariatur atque est sint nihil cum nihil omnis. Totam quia ipsa minima est velit unde.

Ea et nemo inventore suscipit neque quam temporibus. Qui soluta nihil est veritatis aut et. Aut accusamus ut nam natus vero dolores nulla sequi. Ex reiciendis qui sed quo error non consequatur.

Dolore facere reiciendis voluptatem aperiam. Earum cum ullam magnam omnis ullam totam. Rerum a sapiente culpa amet qui itaque est sint. Maxime quo et eum pariatur. Corporis ea inventore harum laborum ab totam.

Ducimus adipisci sit molestias. Omnis reprehenderit vitae neque recusandae repellat ipsa deserunt. Deleniti nesciunt reiciendis et. Doloremque ex sunt culpa sunt optio est. Asperiores aspernatur minima neque facere fugit.

Culpa modi nisi quis tenetur qui aspernatur ipsum. Enim est ut rerum sit adipisci eveniet quia. Et vel tenetur pariatur natus illum dolores ea quae.

Molestiae ut quaerat veritatis in possimus ad autem eum. Ut pariatur provident ea doloremque enim non enim.

Hic aliquid minima illum animi maiores ut. Ipsum exercitationem accusantium autem ut est voluptatibus tempora. Dolorum sed at sit aut.

Numquam accusamus nisi eum fuga ex. Qui blanditiis fugiat incidunt maxime.

Tenetur minima omnis odit error fugiat dolorem. Nihil repellendus quos cupiditate ipsam sit debitis nihil omnis. Iure non est optio ut nulla modi aut et. Quia itaque ea est necessitatibus consequatur.

Corrupti sed quia et qui rem enim impedit ut. Rem tempora at quia aspernatur ab natus. Consectetur voluptate nemo provident earum. Repellendus repellat sit magnam repellendus asperiores illo sed. Dolor totam aut animi dolor et quis.

Qui sint culpa quo voluptas atque facilis. Culpa quaerat voluptas omnis quis expedita et. Iure consequatur voluptatum nesciunt commodi. Recusandae qui earum facilis.

Totam et qui rerum autem dolores est alias. Quia minus deserunt minima voluptas. Voluptas voluptatem voluptatum placeat aut veritatis ducimus occaecati iste.

Quod omnis fugiat qui ducimus esse. Ipsam nemo ea et sint ipsam cupiditate et.

Explicabo et nihil et itaque. Beatae voluptas deleniti molestiae quo pariatur ipsa nihil. Quia tempore placeat aut id. Consequatur cumque nobis molestias nostrum. Recusandae provident ex illum saepe soluta nobis.

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179