Stifel 2021 London Graduate Programme and Reputation

Got a final round interview at Stifel for their London graduate programme. I'm attracted to the good salary (50k base) and smart analysts (1st class imperial / lse grads as seen on LinkedIn). I have some related questions I hope someone on here can clarify, which will help future London applicants.

Due to COVID, I've not had the opportunity to speak to any of their analysts; unsure how the culture is in the London office - how are the hours / relationship with seniors / career development?

Having only read online, US rep is somewhat poor, but I've seen ECM league tables and they are strong; heard the FIG and tech groups are decent too for M&A, but obviously alot less reputable than US / EB firms. Looking to just get foot in the door, will think about lateraling later as this is fairly common in UK right?

For background, I did an IBD summer at a BB but did not convert, even though I received good feedback. I enjoyed the internship (albeit virtual) and would consider a long term career in finance. VP said he'd help with a reference, unfortunately the team I was in didn't convert any of the interns.

TL;DR - I'm looking for a general recent insight of Stifel in London.

Thanks

Comments (27)

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jan 9, 2021 - 6:52am

I'm in the same boat. How soon is your AC? I didn't get converted from my SA internship and the Stifel programme seemed good, so I applied. However, I haven't heard much about the company and idk how easy it is to move somewhere else / exit to PE after. Are you undergrad or grad? If you're undergrad, you could always do Stifel for 2 years, then do a Master's and then go to another company. But that's just me, feel free to PM me. Also if anyone knows anything about Stifel hours and work/life balance that would be very useful.

Jan 9, 2021 - 7:52am

Thanks for the reply. I'm not massively invested in the whole IB -> PE route, I don't speak many languages and I am comfortable with the idea of working in IB for a longer period.

I'm currently on an integrated masters course, however I think it's extremely uncommon to do two years as an analyst and then do an MSc. I'd consider an MBA later, however I don't think it's necessary for a career in IB, provided you start out in finance.

My AC is in a couple weeks but no idea what to expect, bright network are handling it. I agree, very little info on Stifel in London. Glassdoor reviews are mixed.

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jan 11, 2021 - 7:27am

Hey man congrats on the AC invite, I've been shortlisted for the programme by bright network (haven't heard from stifel) and was wondering when did you apply for the grad role?

Jan 9, 2021 - 1:59pm

Interesting, I had not really come across them. Who would they compete with?

Array

• Analyst 1 in IB - Restr
Jan 9, 2021 - 7:09pm

Didn't realize Numis had such a bad rep in London lol, I think they've been acquired by Laz? Know a guy there on their venture capital broking team, he always asking me about other opps

• Analyst 1 in IB - Restr
Jan 9, 2021 - 11:09am

Still an impressive amount for a graduate based in London, compared to other industries where average is 30k you can see the appeal

Jan 9, 2021 - 1:23pm

It's good enough, you get your foot in the door and will get good exposure. If you care that much about rep, work hard and you'll be able in a good place to lateral to more "prestigious" boutiques or MM shops e.g. greenhill, William Blair, RBC

Array

Most Helpful
  • Intern in IB - Gen
Jan 13, 2021 - 8:40am

Based on the people I know there (though not sure if they still are there) - all very smart and extremely humble, personally think that they are the more chill people I know. Worth mentioning that I also heard from second hand source that one or two teams are pretty bad (didnt say why or how, just "bad"), so seems like its like any other bank where its really based on team.

Have they sent out AC invites? Thought they only told people who they shortlisted?

Start Discussion

Popular Content See all

IB Sucks. I'm out
+163IBby 1st Year Analyst in Investment Banking - Generalist">Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
IB is not intellectually challenging
+65IBby Intern in Investment Banking - Mergers and Acquisitions">Intern in IB-M&A
Janet Yellen - Unrealized Capital Gains Tax. WTF
+29OFFby 1st Year Analyst in Investment Banking - Generalist">Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
VP Lying
+28IBby Prospective Monkey in Investment Banking - Mergers and Acquisitions">Prospect in IB-M&A

Total Avg Compensation

January 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (9) $911
  • Vice President (31) $349
  • Associates (141) $232
  • 2nd Year Analyst (89) $151
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (19) $150
  • Intern/Summer Associate (91) $144
  • 1st Year Analyst (352) $132
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (300) $82

Leaderboard See all

LonLonMilk's picture