2024 SA - Visa Sponsorship - US Investment Banking

As visa policies of companies keep changing every year, I wanted to start a thread with information about investment banks in the US that sponsor and don't sponsor visas for international undergraduate students. This is mainly intended to help those applying for 2024 summer analyst positions.

In this post, I am adding a list of companies that I know are willing or unwilling to take in international students for 2024 summer analyst positions as per my current knowledge. This is based on my present knowledge, if you feel I am wrong about a certain company, please comment and mention so. Likewise, there are a lot of companies that I am unsure of regarding visa sponsorship policies - discussing whether they sponsor or not in the comments would definitely help. Please keep updating this thread and make it as informative as possible for everyone's benefit!

• Below - when a bank is classified under the "sponsors visas" category, it could be a bank like GS that does not discriminate in any way if you are an international or it could also be a bank like Lazard that might be willing to sponsor only top candidates on a case by case basis.

Hope this post is helpful!

Bulge Brackets:

Sponsor:

GS, BofA, Citi, CS, DB

Don't Sponsor:

JPM

Unsure:

Barclays, MS, UBS

Elite Boutiques:

Sponsor:

EVR, LAZ, MOE, PJT

Don't Sponsor:

Centerview, FT Partners, PWP (as of this year), Qatalyst

Unsure:

Ducera

Middle Market and Other Banks:

Sponsor:

AGC Partners, CohnReznick Capital, JEF, Mizuho, Nomura, Rothschild, SVB, WB

Don't Sponsor:

BNP Paribas, HSBC, RBC, Stifel, WF

Unsure:

Baird, BMO, Canaccord Genuity, Cantor Fitzgerald, Deloitte Corporate Finance, Greenhill, Guggenheim, HL, Lincoln International, LionTree, Macquarie, MUFG, Piper Sandler, Raine Group, Raymond James, TD Cowen

Comments (14)

Most Helpful
  • Intern in IB - Cov
3d 

Love to see these threads, very beneficial for the community, especially back when I was recruiting. As someone that recruited last year for SA 2023, I'll help to fill in some of the blanks. Obviously, banks change their sponsorship policies year to year so my extrapolations from last year could be outdated/incorrect so feel free to correct me.

For the most part, 98% of OP's list is correct/consistent with the sponsorship policies of banks from last year.

- For BB, Citi NY kinda sponsors but not really, unless ur an ultra-top candidate or diversity. As for OP's "Unsure BB" list, Barclays and MS don't sponsor but not sure about UBS, I assume similar strict policies to Citigroup.

- For the EB's, Evercore is the most open to sponsorship while LAZ, MOE, and PJT, although they say they sponsor, r super stingy. All the "Don't sponsor EB's" r correct. Ducera also doesn't sponsor.

- For the MM's, I didn't really network/recruit with them, but can confirm JEF, Mizuho, and Nomura def sponsor. WB and SVB says it sponsors on my handshake but haven't seen an international go or even get interviews so they're probably super stingy as well. The "Don't sponsor MM" group is correct.

- For the rest of the "Unsure category," can confirm they 100% don't sponsor. Will clarify by saying that HL NY doesn't sponsor but HL LA does, especially their RX group, so u will c a lot of HL people doing their SA stint in LA and then transferring to NY for FT.

• Intern in IB - Gen
3d 

Citi NY gave my international friend an offer so doable

And in my experience (at a target) also PJT/MOE always sponsor 

• Intern in IB - Cov
3d 

I never said the firms u mentioned don't sponsor. What I meant was those firms (Citi, MOE, PJT) penalize international applicants, meaning u have to perform better than domestic candidates to justify the additional hassle and legal fees of sponsoring u. This is in contrast to banks like EVR, GS, BofA, that view all candidates generally equally.

I also go to a super-target business school here in the States with 3 years STEM OPT and also from Canada (so I can access TN-1).

For future generations, when u create these threads, u should split it into 3 tiers: Sponsors (doesn't penalize), semi-sponsors (will sponsor but penalizes interviewees), and doesn't sponsor (doesn't sponsor regardless of how good u r).

• Analyst 1 in IB - Cov
2d 

Unfortunately HL LA stopped sponsoring summer and full time starting this year

• Intern in IB - Gen
1d 

Are you sure MS doesn't sponsor? Know a lot of students in regional offices w/sponsorship but you are penalized 

• Intern in IB - Cov
1d 

MS is technically "case by case" according to HR and has not explicitly stated that they don't sponsor but it varies year to year between auto ding (if u tick the "needs sponsorship now or in the future" box) and a Hirevue. In general tho, MS doesn't sponsor but there r always exceptions to the rule, like I've even seen RBC sponsor some diversity kids despite them not officially stating they sponsor. 

• Prospect in IB-M&A
3d 

Anyone know about SMBC?

• Intern in IB - Cov
2d 

Yes, generally the same but a couple banks here or there may be open to sponsoring MBA's but not undergrads because MBA's get double the number of draws for the H1B lottery since they r part of the "Advanced Degree Holder" pool so they pose less risk of sponsoring than undergrads. U will have to network with your MBA's IB club/career center to c which banks have traditionally sponsored MBA's in the past.

Ex. MBA with 3 year STEM OPT gets 6 instead of 3 draws since every year they get one ticket for the regular H1B application pool and one for the advanced degree holder pool.

25m 
wired_Xold, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Rerum occaecati ratione eaque quod et dolor itaque. Maxime modi sunt ea ipsam similique earum.

Eligendi in sequi soluta facilis et. Consequatur aliquam dolorem quidem. Consequuntur et nihil quo temporibus.

Accusamus sequi rerum et necessitatibus et necessitatibus aut. Nihil corrupti ducimus dolore et. Blanditiis dolore officiis quia ipsum fugit. Id aut beatae nobis quis in. Sequi aut necessitatibus nemo aut aliquam dignissimos. Illo sed consequatur blanditiis.

Start Discussion

Career Advancement Opportunities

January 2023 Investment Banking

• Lazard Freres (+ +) 99.5%
  • Jefferies & Company (▽01) 99.1%
  • Lincoln International (▽01) 98.6%
  • Financial Technology Partners (▽01) 98.1%
  • William Blair (▲08) 97.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

January 2023 Investment Banking

• Canaccord Genuity (▲04) 99.5%
  • William Blair (▲04) 99.0%