J.P. Morgan 2019 IBD Video Interview

Hi guys, sophomore at non-target here.

I submitted my app for JP Morgan IBD 2019 yesterday and just got invited to do a video interview. Anyone else get the video interview? Also, will there be another phone interview after this or straight to superday?

Any insight or advice is appreciated.

J.P. Morgan Investment Banking Interview Process

Anyone going through the JP Morgan IBD application and interview process probably knows what to expect. You’ve done your research. You’ve networked with any contact you could think of. You’ve been active on the WSO IB forum. Congratulations on making the decision to compete with thousands of other intelligent humans to break into this industry. Although there’s no 100% set standard, the general process goes: Application--HireVue--Phone Interview--Superday.

Video Interview Tips

With more and more candidates getting invited to do a HireVue, it’s becoming even more important to set yourself apart during this stage. It may seem obvious, but the best candidates treat the video interview like an in-person interview. That means professional dress, professional environment and professional answers. Here are some things to consider before and during the interview:

Before
  • Make sure you have a quiet and clean place to record the interview
  • Ensure your camera and microphone work
  • Practice answers to common behavioral questions
    During
  • Maintain eye contact with the camera
  • Speak clearly, confidently and concisely
  • You may only get one chance to record, so stay calm and confident no matter what happens

Hear direct from JP Morgan here:

Video Interview Questions

In this round of interviews, you’re unlikely to encounter technical questions. Instead, most questions seem to be behavioral in nature. Most banks have moved beyond the generic, “Why investment banking?” question. Check out our forum here where community members have submitted some actual JP Morgan HireVue interview questions.

Community member @PotatoSalad" shares the questions he received:

1. Talk about a time when you solved a problem and had to incorporate a diverse set of perspectives in the solution
  2. Give me a sales pitch on something you're interested in
  3. Talk about a time when you solved a complex problem and explain how you arrived at a solution

Preparing for Investment Banking Interviews?

Check out WSO's investment banking interview course for access to 10+ hours of videos, 203+ technical questions and over 127 detailed behavioral questions and answers.

IB Interview Course

Hi OP,

JPM came by my university for a networking event last evening. From my knowledge, the timeline looks roughy like this (all of this is rolling of course):

First Hirevues came out today (late Feb)

First rounds (Phone screens) will likely happen March and onward. Superday (for non-diversity candidates) will start on a rolling basis and twice/month beginning in May.

I applied 2 days ago and got the hirevue yesterday, I didn't do yet as I'm still looking for practice resources.

I doubt that the Hirevue was too selective. It's an extra data point for them to evaluate you before they actually commit analyst time to screening you over the phone.

I'd expect anyone who can make it past the system benchmark of GPA (most-likely 3.2/4.0) to receive a Hirevue.

Thank god you thought the questions were weird too... I was fine on two but one I wasn’t prepared for and IMO sounded enthusiastic but flustered.

The time was so short as well. Last year they gave 3 tries at 3 minutes each.. 90 seconds is hard to give a complete answer

Array

It depends. Not always the exact same process. Typically it's apply > hirevue > superday, occasionally apply > hirevue/phone > superday. There is no 100% default.

Shocked to see it starting this early..

EBITDA rules everything around me

In the same boat. This recruiting schedule is the dumbest arms race I've ever seen. I will be at a BB this upcoming summer and would love to return there. However, who knows what could happen over the summer and if I wanted to go somewhere else after the summer... I would have missed the boat.

I am going to ask for an extension until at least mid-July on any offers I receive, so I can at least gain a feel for the firm before I commit to anything the following summer.

Confirmation that JPM received video interview February 28th and haven't heard anything yet. There also haven't been any updates in my career portal.

Hey guys - do you know if you apply to multiple programs with JPMorgan if you have to submit multiple hirevues? Or do we only submit one hirevue? any insight and advice would be helpful. thanks!

Application was updated today (March 15th) but nothing changed. Not sure what that means.

Apparently, if the 'Withdraw' button is still present you haven't been rejected yet. Just not sure how long it takes to update in the system if you are rejected. Not getting excited just yet.

I never received any emails saying my applications were updated. You guys? Anyways, I was wondering if you guys think the "submit a hirevue within two business days of this email" is a strict deadline? Now, it's 10 days later since that update...

Honestly, why tf didn't I get an email update about this

I think they're the same questions. I got the same as the ones posted above. The ones marked as "Best Answer".

Kind of awkward, and it shouldn't be a big deal if they are hard pressed for candidates, but given the ample choice they have, they have the power to ding anyone for anything -- i.e. it's not an algorithm that has a "pass" / "fail" outcome depending on certain inputs -- it depends on who is reviewing your application, the strength of your other answers, and how they feel about you at the time

I forgot whether it was this thread but a lot of people are saying that for the HireVue, there is not much 1st year analysts can do to push you through. The only time the networking helps is when you get to the superday. I'd suggest adding any internships you have for this summer on your resume and start reaching out to people. So applying now might be best.

I got a phone screen and first round from the JPM SF healthcare group, but I never completed the HireVue. Did submit the application, though. Interesting...

My phone screen was two weeks ago, and my first round was last Friday (April 6). SF healthcare told me they would inform me about superdays sometime this week.

Maybe a bit different from other schools, but the recruiter for our school came yesterday and said this year they will do a "direct offer" format for IBD. She said the candidates will talk to 4 reps either in person or over Skype and there won't be superdays.

It's weird, cuz in the flyer I got from an on-campus event in March, it said that for Chicago office and for SF office, the application will be reviewed after the due date (4/15 for chicago and tbd april~may for sf)

Did anyone receive an update to their app portal? A new job submission appeared on my portal (I did not apply to another one, mind you) and the the submission status was updated today, "Final Candidate"

Edit: pic

I had a phone interview and superday with them via an insight program. Not sure if they would use those results for my general app, though. It would make sense to do so; otherwise, it'd be redundant

Edit: it's also weird that the headline says New York but the line below it says US-TX-Houston

Has anyone heard back from the Chicago office yet / know if there will be phone screenings? Dumbly enough I applied in April, which is not so long before the app closes for the Chicago office (4/15). Do you think they have already filled up the spots?

To the guys who applied these last few days: did u guys get the same questions for the HireVue?

1.Talk about a time when you solved a problem and had to incorporate a diverse set of perspectives in the solution

2.Give me a sales pitch on something you're interested in

3.Talk about a time when you solved a complex problem and explain how you arrived at a solution

Thank u for ur help

when does your portal say last updated? If it was 2-3 weeks ago I'd think a ding, if it was in the last few days you could still be up for an interview. not 100% sure if the updates means anything, but might give you some idea

Array

Et quae reprehenderit assumenda quidem vero. Qui consequatur voluptas in enim. Voluptates rerum laborum excepturi incidunt dolores. Maiores consequatur sunt eos aut fuga in quia.

Minus asperiores enim quisquam nam nulla omnis. Tempore necessitatibus sit et sed nostrum praesentium quia hic. Rem harum accusantium nesciunt veritatis voluptatibus omnis aut officiis. Nulla alias non facere ea aliquam ducimus sequi. Alias non suscipit asperiores. Minima qui autem quo et.

Et ipsa ea similique eius. Vel dolores earum incidunt. Illum repellendus quidem id fuga voluptatibus.

Aut nam quos sapiente eos laboriosam. Consequatur ea quia architecto numquam nisi illo sint. Omnis nisi veritatis quibusdam.

Error qui nostrum doloremque asperiores qui enim. Sit dolores exercitationem porro ut expedita. Eaque saepe a illo non alias qui.

Et beatae in exercitationem. Illo mollitia labore voluptatum qui qui aliquid. Neque autem facere eligendi alias expedita non ut.

Fugit sunt alias id numquam rerum hic. Qui at et explicabo dolorum tenetur rem et cum. Dignissimos voluptatem fugit ratione.

Qui saepe autem qui ducimus a voluptatem. Quod inventore ducimus sed consequatur consequatur harum. Ipsum eligendi nihil nulla minima voluptatem officia aspernatur. Itaque dolorum unde harum autem ut sed. Quidem repellat fuga voluptatem quo. Nihil quasi est et recusandae molestiae excepturi.

Eum eum veniam reiciendis velit quidem et. Accusantium cupiditate vitae sit. Dolor consectetur eos dolore culpa expedita. Amet et architecto sint quia. Quas asperiores magnam dignissimos molestias a. Repudiandae omnis quod eos.

Autem doloribus ut ducimus aliquid sequi sed unde. Rerum laudantium molestias aut quam odit voluptas. Quaerat aut id dolor vero saepe. Exercitationem mollitia molestiae aut officia. Quam cumque voluptatem quas ut.

Soluta dolor consequatur ex dignissimos at nisi est. Dolor blanditiis est saepe est veritatis porro. Sint autem quis velit saepe cumque.

Est necessitatibus aut illum. Et voluptas est adipisci sunt ad.

Repellat qui in ab magni occaecati. Possimus eum dolore qui eum. Dolore quam atque doloremque quidem totam.

Quaerat odit aut ducimus facere placeat. Quisquam pariatur veniam voluptatem dolorem. Quam eligendi molestias error est iure vel libero. Reprehenderit molestiae enim accusantium porro laboriosam quam. Ut qui reprehenderit id a magnam corporis.

Sint mollitia minima qui. Ex ipsum cumque et ipsam culpa iusto molestiae soluta. Quibusdam magnam expedita est. Eaque aut vero cum nulla reprehenderit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”