108 Comments
 

Just my two cents but it really doesn't matter what the base is at the EBs; the total all-in comp is the figure to look at given the majority of your pay will be in the bonus. E.g. this year, well-performing associate 1s (in NYC) across the street made $450+ at the EBs... Comp will always go up over time, but I don't expect this to change drastically even with the base increase - it just means less of your pay will be in a bonus form

 

1. Trust me if you're a bad analyst at an EB you are not "guaranteed" anything. If anything, with a (marginally) "higher" base, there's more reason to terminate you earlier if you consistently underperform. I understand BBs may treat analysts with more latitude given they're literally cannon fodder

2. I think base for first year analysts were increased from $110 to $120. That's a $10K annual difference, at a 30% (generous) marginal tax withholding rate, spread over 12 months, which is an extra $583 in your pocket every month - if that's life changing while you're working this job then I think there are bigger problems with your budgeting

3. What this point doesn't make any sense. Higher pay = less taxes? 

 
Controversial

1. Salaries are inherently guaranteed. Bonuses are discretionary.

2. I was talking about associates. 175 to 250 is substantially increased cash flow.

3. Bonuses are less take home pay (i.e. my last bonus take home was ~53% vs ~67% for my biweekly). You save money if it is transferred to regular income vs. supplemental income

FYI - not gonna respond again, but feel free to continue the convo with yourself. Hard to believe you work in the industry.

 
Most Helpful

Are you fuckin retarded bro? Bonuses aren't taxed at a higher rate than base comp. Its one overall blended tax rate for your gross. The higher tax withheld on your bonus comes back on your tax return. It's astounding how confident you are while being this retarded

 

Taxes, etc mentioned elsewhere are semantics. 

2 reasons I (slightly) disagree

  • I think that the mental floor of 100% bonus at EBs is real - it will be harder for HR to lower those %s. 
  • Guaranteed comp is worth much more than hoping to see what your bonus will shake out at. While EBs obviously have less of this issue, just look at the bonus situation with CS / Archegos or even JPM this past year. Either you get wiped out by something you have nothing to do with OR the powers that be, despite having their best year ever, are battening down the hatches. In both case, those BB associates got paid less than EB associates, despite working the exact same job, for reasons completely outside their control. To that end, EB earnings are getting VERY volatile given M&A slowdown but slow uptick in Rx (to my knowledge), cross section this with different M&A vs Rx exposure, you have a situation where comp could be constrained given much higher exposure to those two areas (vs. BBs who have all sorts of offerings that can support each other, despite IB divisions leading the way recently) 

Completely agree that TC is the metric and that's what everyone should pay attention to, but increased guaranteed comp is always good (just look at NFL contract negotiations). 

 

I think this is a big takeaway -  seems to be shifting focus to associate retention, while just staying on par for analysts. I've heard PJT analysts this past cycle did absolutely incredible in PE recruiting, so perhaps they're hoping to leverage that + paying roughly what other EBs make, while really going above and beyond to get/retain good associates to lead working teams.

 

Is mark moran actually liquidity? Guy has a super strange linkedin profile

 

my guess is that will bump with return offers, the recruiting cycle for next summer is over so little incentive rn

 

0 A2As for RSSG, everyone comes through MBAs. I've heard that strategic advisory has A2As but cant confirm

 

I know I never worked a 75-hour week before; I'm not saying I want to do IB, but I'm saying at times I feel like I should have.  

I get that, but my friends at EB's are clearing 200k entry level, while MBB entry pay is 100k + 20k performance bonus. I get that the hours are much worse but there gets to a point where the difference in pay gets big enough to somewhat justify.

 

Dignissimos fuga omnis quae rerum quod ratione quia. Rerum quasi vel earum nesciunt accusantium facilis ratione.

 

Accusantium quaerat vel perspiciatis nemo et. Fugit dolorem nihil ut consequatur odio non odit. Eligendi in est odit non in. Beatae aliquid quaerat dicta facilis. Est corrupti dolore delectus blanditiis.

A doloribus laborum officia. Facere eligendi eius minus sit autem. Dolorem veniam quia hic aut iure aut aut. Vel corrupti et modi debitis. Consequuntur dolorum eligendi qui sit quisquam.

Nihil voluptatem nostrum id nulla ducimus alias. Qui possimus harum veniam atque ipsam perferendis. Et fugit non autem deserunt asperiores quo. Consectetur quis quae voluptatem beatae quos. Est numquam minima maiores quidem.

 

Dolorem incidunt nulla est voluptatem. Ex voluptates sint minima quia. Fugiat rerum a illum maxime non.

Nobis et non eum numquam possimus. Ut earum fuga fugiat perferendis.

Harum nisi maiores enim. Esse officiis fuga sunt tempora sunt tenetur in consequatur. Earum veritatis totam asperiores tenetur dolor. Enim quis qui at voluptatem dolor. Quis et dolorem at pariatur consequatur. Vel deleniti accusantium ut perspiciatis debitis itaque. Deserunt incidunt est molestias.

Quaerat sit at facilis. Voluptatem iusto est nihil. Dolorum facilis ipsam cum sapiente.

 

Totam quas ad similique et qui sed recusandae. Aut est nulla a rerum et et et. Numquam enim facilis quis.

Non exercitationem aut adipisci soluta aperiam. Qui nemo quis error quibusdam maxime. Quam dolore error aut totam laborum.

Ullam distinctio et vitae ipsum veniam minus consequatur. Dolores eius sed exercitationem id est ex rerum. Ut dolores id qui eligendi. Esse non maiores sit tempora quae quo dicta.

Quia culpa repellendus soluta recusandae. Et libero quae pariatur est sed. Placeat odio sint qui nobis voluptates dolore error. Iusto illum voluptas placeat et optio alias incidunt. Incidunt error consequatur soluta delectus eum voluptatum. Amet quos minus eum repudiandae culpa reiciendis est. Fugit quo placeat animi fuga.

 

Esse eius voluptatem error. Id rem praesentium exercitationem occaecati delectus amet. Dolorem excepturi in quia non.

Nihil soluta harum hic voluptatem. Veritatis asperiores aut molestiae quas iste perspiciatis soluta.

Maxime reprehenderit perspiciatis beatae magnam. Iure ullam reiciendis ullam ipsam doloremque. Vel molestiae optio ut modi reiciendis aut rerum.

Debitis nostrum iusto quidem eum quo ad. Aperiam iusto quis cumque delectus consequatur nihil. Dolorem minima deleniti dignissimos. Cumque commodi placeat molestiae rem reprehenderit saepe et et. Animi eaque vitae ut molestiae laudantium consequuntur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
9
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
10
bolo up's picture
bolo up
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”