Just my two cents but it really doesn't matter what the base is at the EBs; the total all-in comp is the figure to look at given the majority of your pay will be in the bonus. E.g. this year, well-performing associate 1s (in NYC) across the street made $450+ at the EBs... Comp will always go up over time, but I don't expect this to change drastically even with the base increase - it just means less of your pay will be in a bonus form

1. Trust me if you're a bad analyst at an EB you are not "guaranteed" anything. If anything, with a (marginally) "higher" base, there's more reason to terminate you earlier if you consistently underperform. I understand BBs may treat analysts with more latitude given they're literally cannon fodder

2. I think base for first year analysts were increased from $110 to $120. That's a $10K annual difference, at a 30% (generous) marginal tax withholding rate, spread over 12 months, which is an extra $583 in your pocket every month - if that's life changing while you're working this job then I think there are bigger problems with your budgeting

3. What this point doesn't make any sense. Higher pay = less taxes? 

Controversial

1. Salaries are inherently guaranteed. Bonuses are discretionary.

2. I was talking about associates. 175 to 250 is substantially increased cash flow.

3. Bonuses are less take home pay (i.e. my last bonus take home was ~53% vs ~67% for my biweekly). You save money if it is transferred to regular income vs. supplemental income

FYI - not gonna respond again, but feel free to continue the convo with yourself. Hard to believe you work in the industry.

At the Associate level it can be $100k+. Average ASO1 TC for 2021 was ~450k+ at top EBs vs. 300-350k at BBs ex-GS. MS/ Citi paid lower, high 200s on average

Taxes, etc mentioned elsewhere are semantics. 

2 reasons I (slightly) disagree

• I think that the mental floor of 100% bonus at EBs is real - it will be harder for HR to lower those %s. 
  • Guaranteed comp is worth much more than hoping to see what your bonus will shake out at. While EBs obviously have less of this issue, just look at the bonus situation with CS / Archegos or even JPM this past year. Either you get wiped out by something you have nothing to do with OR the powers that be, despite having their best year ever, are battening down the hatches. In both case, those BB associates got paid less than EB associates, despite working the exact same job, for reasons completely outside their control. To that end, EB earnings are getting VERY volatile given M&A slowdown but slow uptick in Rx (to my knowledge), cross section this with different M&A vs Rx exposure, you have a situation where comp could be constrained given much higher exposure to those two areas (vs. BBs who have all sorts of offerings that can support each other, despite IB divisions leading the way recently) 

Completely agree that TC is the metric and that's what everyone should pay attention to, but increased guaranteed comp is always good (just look at NFL contract negotiations). 

I think this is a big takeaway -  seems to be shifting focus to associate retention, while just staying on par for analysts. I've heard PJT analysts this past cycle did absolutely incredible in PE recruiting, so perhaps they're hoping to leverage that + paying roughly what other EBs make, while really going above and beyond to get/retain good associates to lead working teams.

Centerview has been at 130. Evercore has also been at 120 for a while.

Agree with the post above - focus is shifting to retaining the best as associates, analyst comp is just in line with EVR and CVP. Assuming a 100% bonus for ASO1s and the typical 100k step between years; 500k, 600k and 700k is within reason for Aso 1, 2s and 3s 

Honestly pretty easy (even in your first few associate years) - just do a little bit of networking, have group preferences, etc. Hopefully you'd have someone you know at the EB in question that can just get you in the process

Pretty much the same as moving to any bank, it’s easy if you have closed deals under your belt and can crank through a model test. One complication may be if you go from a bank with a 2 year analyst program to one with a 3 year program. I have no idea if an As0 2 years out of undergrad will be treated like an As0 or An3

Posted by Lit a few days ago, confirmed with multiple people at the firm

Is mark moran actually liquidity? Guy has a super strange linkedin profile

my guess is that will bump with return offers, the recruiting cycle for next summer is over so little incentive rn

0 A2As for RSSG, everyone comes through MBAs. I've heard that strategic advisory has A2As but cant confirm

I know I never worked a 75-hour week before; I'm not saying I want to do IB, but I'm saying at times I feel like I should have.  

I get that, but my friends at EB's are clearing 200k entry level, while MBB entry pay is 100k + 20k performance bonus. I get that the hours are much worse but there gets to a point where the difference in pay gets big enough to somewhat justify.

Ut quae odit aspernatur dolorum non praesentium qui quia. Autem expedita accusamus odio saepe sunt ipsam. Et quia est et officia unde sequi fugiat.

Illum ut dignissimos non ab iure natus. Itaque sed voluptates eos ut impedit et voluptas. Necessitatibus consequatur et quo dicta. Qui praesentium totam laboriosam nisi laudantium.

Assumenda eos cupiditate et ipsa omnis nulla. Est et sint voluptatem quia at unde. Debitis nam magni fugiat ut quidem minima. Atque rerum doloremque et magnam.

Ad quibusdam dolore aspernatur. Quia minima sint consectetur vitae velit est nobis. Neque placeat officia aspernatur.

Quia molestiae et veniam amet ipsa. Eum nisi dolore eum ipsa exercitationem.

Hic doloribus et repellendus. Eos dolorem laborum dignissimos eveniet officiis sunt cum consequuntur. Voluptatibus quo corporis voluptate quia qui. Deleniti et at enim sed quia mollitia. Voluptates labore aut earum optio explicabo et. Maxime est facilis necessitatibus doloremque veniam eos ut.

Molestiae excepturi dolores est ipsum. Ipsam ut assumenda fuga velit. Mollitia autem eos voluptatem iusto. Minus aut est rerum numquam et voluptas aut. Eius tempore itaque est explicabo alias.

Praesentium repudiandae iste dolores voluptatem ut et excepturi. Explicabo et eos ut in. Rem quaerat dolorum officia consequatur praesentium. Ut qui at ut aut esse. Aliquid maiores iusto ad doloribus.

Veniam ea a aut. Quia quaerat sit quisquam est velit repudiandae aperiam. Porro magnam sed autem ea quis hic. Consequatur magni recusandae neque enim expedita facilis. Ut omnis fuga velit quia sunt.

Id excepturi iusto sunt ducimus soluta. Doloremque veritatis soluta architecto nostrum. Reprehenderit accusantium quidem et non non error deserunt earum. Eos recusandae consequatur sed. Perferendis excepturi eligendi quae dolores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”