Undergraduate Target Schools Tier List (2022 Updates)

Hi all, I was hoping to update this list for 2022, with PE/HF placements accounted for. I don't think it would be accurate to exclude this statistic if a school overperforms in PE/HF placements. Per capita and my general thoughts can be seen in these in 2022 rankings.

What do y'all think? Let me know and I will make the edits if they're generally agreed upon.

Tier S++ (Super Target)

Harvard / Yale / Princeton 

Wharton 

Stanford 

Tier S+ (Target)

UPenn (non Wharton) / Dartmouth / Columbia / Brown 

MIT

UChicago

Cornell / Cornell Dyson 

Duke 

Tier S (Target)

Georgetown McDonough 

NYU / NYU Stern

Notre Dame Mendoza 

Williams 

Amherst 

Caltech

UCB Haas 

UMich Ross

UVA McIntire 

UMich Ross

Tier A+ (Low Target to Top Semi-Target)

Northwestern

Vanderbilt

Rice

WashU Olin 

Middlebury 

USC Marshall 

Claremont Mckenna

Pomona

BC Carrol

Tufts

Bowdoin

Emory

JHU

UVA up to S tier. know of and have seen plenty of kids get spots at UMM/MF 

Alot of competition being such a big school, location in sf hurts, Stanford controls SF and ucb haas dosnt necessarily control SF or LA. Very cali based student population, just overrated in my opinion!

Most Helpful

Extremely underrated actually. Sending 7 kids to P72 for 22 & 23, sending 5 to Citadel, 1 to DE, 1 to Sig, 10+ to Wear Coast PE, 3 or so to VC and 5+ to BBs and EBs. And thats is Berkeley Investment Group alone, that is not even including Haas or the multiple other investment and trading clubs. You forget that Cal has #3 business program, #1 comp sci, and #4 econ program in the nation. So id say we could probably put them above Notre Dame to start lol.

These tier lists are meaningless nowadays--the advantage at being at a target has never been so insignificant now. In fact, I would argue that recruiting for the BBs/EBs from Wharton as a nondiverse candidate would put you at a disadvantage than if you had recruited from targets like Notre Dame or Georgetown, as there are a set number of spots available for each school. Citi, for example, had 7 spots for IBD at Wharton. You could guess 4 went to diversity (60-70% of a class are diverse nowadays) and 1 was a nepotism hire. That leaves 350+ Wharton hardos gunning for 2 spots. Also, your personality shown through your networking and interviews matters so much more than what school you attend. Wharton kids aren't known for having pleasant personalities. I have two friends at Wharton who are still recruiting and are about to strike out. 

Would probably merge S+ and S as someone else above mentioned or could argue places like Dyson, Georgetown, Stern, and maybe Duke could be moved up.  McIntire, Ross, and maybe Haas seem to be ahead of the other names in the other grouping.  

Array

Funniest

School Tier lists are irrelevant. Being diverse at a nontarget >>> nondiverse at supertarget. The more meaningful list would be a diversity tier list: God tier: Black female, Black male, Hispanic female, Trans. Tier 1B: Hispanic male. Tier 2: Lesbian, gay, disabled, Asian/white female. Tier 3: Bisexual. Tier 4: Spanish dude pretending he's Mexican. Tier 5: Desperate straight guy with a noticeably fake gay accent, but interviewer doesn't want to make that call. Tier 40: White male. 60: Asian male (doesn't matter if Hmong or Pacific Islander, they're all the same right?). Tier 2000 "Fuck these guys in particular": First generation white/asian males who grew up facing adversity and have no connections in the industry.

Tier Cheat Code: Black Female

Tier Ez Offer: Black Male, Hispanic Female

Tier +1000% Chance of Offer: Hispanic Male, Native American Female

Tier +750% Chance of Offer: Native American Male, White Female, Asian Female, Pacific Islander Female, Transgender

Tier Are You Even Diversity?: Pacific Islander Male, Gay

Tier "Diversity" (Hint: Not Really): Veteran, Disabled, Bisexual

Tier Fuck You: White Male/Asian Male

Are people joking about this whole diversity thing or is this an actual factor for recruiting?

Edit: bro who ever shited in this comment I am in hs. idk shit. I really don't know what is going on

Ross should be much higher. I might be biased because I go to Ross, but I have two close friends at Vanderbilt, and our recruiting simply blows them out of the water (and we are ranked similarly on this list). Every single year we send multiple kids to every top bank on the street; we have outstanding placement at essentially all boutiques and most BBs. No reason Ross shouldn't be at the same level as McDonough or Mendoza.

Stanford does decent but the school is more focused in VC/Quant/Consulting/GE rather than IB/PE/HF. That said, a few do go PE straight out very few if any go HF out of undergrad unless they are doing Citadel Quant. Stanford GSB on the other hand is electric. Per capita, def not bad but idk if it’s deserving of top tier.

You have to be trolling, since you missed JHU and some prestigious LACs

JHU > Tufts, times haven't changed as much as you say. You are still a freshman/sophomore in college so you cannot make a valid assessment of ranking schools.

JHU > Tufts all day and any day. First of all, JHU is LITERALLY twenty spots ahead of Tufts on the US World New Report, so our students are just naturally smarter. On a per capita basis, JHU places significantly better. Just look at the student investment team. Students, each year, place at pretty much every elite Bulge Bracket Firm with 1-2 heading to an elite boutique. With that being said, Tufts is great school. In many ways, Tufts resembles JHU. Both schools are not finance centric with only a handful of students geared towards breaking into IB. Tufts is practically JHU's polished but inferior younger brother and very well should be on the list, but clearly you are a Tufts alum, so don't disrespect your big bro - JHU. Listen dude, no disrespect. As a big reader of the content on this website, both schools get WAY more heat than they deserved and are shitted on by a bunch of bums at state schools, referencing that their school sends more kids to banking when their school graduates 10x students each year and has an undergrad B-school. 

Might be biased as a Bowdoin alum, but although we have fairly good placement on the sell-side, we actually seem to have stronger placement on the buy-side out of school. In my year I feel like we sent just as many kids to PE/IM (esp. Boston-based shops like Fidelity) as we did to NYC IB.

I think we deserve to at least be on this list if buy-side is included!

Below are from a 2014 report on school representation in the AM industry (PM/analyst respondents mostly)

image-20220508082017-1

image-20220508082402-2

You can blame WSO dark mode for how gray it might appear lol. Looked fine when I uploaded it and it still is fine if you switch to light mode or open image in a new tab

Is there a difference in recruiting between S++ vs. S+ vs. even S? Or is it just a function of talent+effort at that point with the higher tiers having slightly higher talent on average.

What about MIT/JHU? Guessing MIT would be better than caltech but not sure about JHU

Both great schools. MIT is already in S+. I'd say for finance it's correctly around Penn / Columbia, but it probably (like Caltech) is appreciated at the S++ tier. Actually a misconception to place MIT automatically above Caltech - if you talk to kids studying Physics, you'll find that a lot of them actually prefer CalTech, especially the more theoretical. Know some MIT (more HF space vs IB/PE). Know 0 Caltech in finance. Disclaimer I chose one of HYP over both. JHU a bit lower for undergrad purposes. Obviously, schools do NOT define a person's capabilities. They're an indicator sure, hence why this stuff exists, but not be-all end-all.

Wake Forest. Not saying it's anywhere near the top of this list, probably right at the bottom, but it should be in the mix these days. A quick Linkedin search might surprise you on placements in NYC. For its tiny undergrad size, multiple kids going to some BBs and a lot of MM firms is impressive. 

I don't get how some of these schools are being compared and ranked. You list Umich and UVA higher than a lot of other schools such as BC and WashU based on total number of placement, but neglect the fact that these big schools have 25k+ people. BC for example has placed a similar amount of total people with less than 10k total students. Can someone please explain.

You can’t do placements per capita because there’s no way you can get the right denominator.

Think about it this way, massive schools like UMich and NYU have tens of thousands of premeds, engineers and countless other random majors. Just because their student population is 25k+ doesn’t mean that’s the number of people gunning for IB positions. 

In A+ tier I would remove Tufts, Bowdoin, and JHU  and if this rank goes by place I would lift up Middlebury to 2, Vandy down to 3, Emory, up to 4, Claremont McKenna up to 5, BC up to 6.  I would also add UNC to A+. 

In S tier I would move Ross up and Notre Dame down. I would also add Northwestern to this tier

In S+ I would put Duke at a tie with UChicago. Brown should be bellow Duke and UChicago. Columbia at 1, UPenn at 2, Dartmouth at 3, MIT at 4, Duke/UChicago-5, Cornell-6, and Brown7

In S++ 

Wharton is probably ahead of Princeton

Ut eos expedita atque porro ipsam asperiores. Dicta labore fugit autem voluptas labore id aspernatur. Corrupti consectetur nobis debitis id velit.

Similique ipsum praesentium est minus neque rerum et. Consequatur delectus repudiandae omnis quod. Beatae nisi nisi commodi id quia. Aliquid deserunt tempore consequatur veritatis explicabo nisi. Quisquam reprehenderit eum voluptates. Ullam natus necessitatibus minus non quia unde ipsam. Et cum quia culpa tempore in ut corrupti.

Voluptas iste molestias deserunt rerum. Velit nemo repudiandae ad aut autem. Sit beatae aut aliquid aut voluptatem nesciunt enim. Minima sit dolores repellendus a qui et repudiandae minima. Veniam quo similique voluptates voluptas voluptatem.

Corporis nemo voluptate amet harum. Temporibus sint cum doloremque dolor ullam aut esse. Deserunt voluptates suscipit nesciunt voluptatem ipsum. Maxime natus qui praesentium laborum. Dolorum nesciunt sequi accusamus delectus.

Ipsum ea quia rerum qui nobis soluta itaque. Iusto qui vero quis omnis pariatur. Qui eum nisi fugit ut distinctio et ad.

Quaerat sunt ipsum quas dolores. Natus repellat explicabo veniam officia et qui eum. Sed alias dolorem cumque ut sit.

Voluptas ut minima qui sed. Iusto non tempora minima incidunt quia. Eius sunt tempora aspernatur fugiat similique quo. Cupiditate molestiae nihil iste maiores commodi.

Voluptates iure odio harum magni. Cumque adipisci et animi esse. Veritatis consequatur quo iste qui. Fuga aspernatur necessitatibus laborum. Officiis sed laborum placeat quo expedita omnis.

Magnam repellat quia aliquam consequuntur modi et animi. Voluptates quia quidem facilis nihil unde ut. Repellat quidem ad quisquam totam et quaerat doloremque. Odio sunt omnis laboriosam qui.

Sed eligendi quam perferendis repellat dolorem minima ut maiores. Repellat quos voluptatem consequatur amet ipsum natus voluptatem. Voluptatem accusamus in magni aut sunt vel.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”