Barcadia:
I saw this on Bodybuilding.com this morning...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133389973

The mods closed it at page 84... a poll showed that 1500 (the slim majority) thought the answer is 2.

What is going on in our schools? I think about the "Jaywalker" segment on Leno, but I dismiss those people as random idiots. But to actually get a majority out of a 3000+ sample size...words fail me.

I mean, yeah, those are bodybuilding forums, but I wouldn't expect anything that bad. Is this how all those ridiculous supplements are sold?

Bodybuiding forum no wonder....actually didn't realize riods affected brain power...

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

FutureBanker09:
PEMDAS it's 2

ummm.... parentheses exponents multiplication division addition subtraction... with this how did you get 2?

also read my avatar icon.... It talks about your math skills

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

LOL AT ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING 288. how the fuck do yo not know simeple order of operations. its clearly 2...

"Look, you're my best friend, so don't take this the wrong way. In twenty years, if you're still livin' here, comin' over to my house to watch the Patriots games, still workin' construction, I'll fuckin' kill you. That's not a threat, that's a fact.

michaelj901][quote=BeatStreet]Please excuse my dear aunt sally</p> <p><a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations[/quote rel=nofollow>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations[/quote</a>:

talk about a throw back haha

Yeah man, I can't even remember the last time I heard that phrase!
Get busy living

Best Response
  1. Obviously you do the (3+9) first because it's in the parenthesis, giving you:

48÷2(12) which can be rewritten as 48÷2*12

Since ÷ and * are the same in order of operations, you go from left to right so 48÷212 = 2412 = 288.

Money Never Sleeps? More like Money Never SUCKS amirite?!?!?!?

[Comment removed by mod team]

dmackorth:
It is 2.

The way it is written is confusing, if it were written appropriately it would look like this:

48 --------- = 2 2(9+3)

Lmao you can't just change the way its written because you don't agree with it.

For all of you arguing 2 instead of 288 because of PEMDAS, keep in mind that PEMDAS implies that you perform the operations WITHIN the parenthesis before anything else. When you have something like 2(12) on the other hand, it is the equivalent of 2*12 and does not take priority over divisions or other multiplications.

future-ib:
When you have 212 that is a quantity you divide that entire thing into 48. Look 48/24 is the same thing as 48/122

48/24 = 48/(122) but NOT (48/12)2.

blackfinancier:
future-ib:
black financier you might want to look at your own icon

You think the answer is 2 you are an idiot and your math is turrible. 288. learn basic 3rd grade math. well maybe 4th.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=48÷2(9%2B3)&t=macw01

turrible knuckleheads don't know their order of operations. 48/2(9+3) > 48/212 > 2412 > 288. Knuckleheads your math is so turrible it offends me. knuckleheads
Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art - Andy Warhol

Solidarity:
seriously?

48÷2(9+3) is an equivalent formulation to 48÷2x...

HINT: the answer is not 24x

shit like this makes me wish I were a trader...

48/2(9+3) not 48/(2(9+3))

From a children's math website: http://www.mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol7/order_operations.html

Rule 1: First perform any calculations INSIDE parentheses. Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right. Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.

Solidarity, you bring up a good point, but I'm sticking to my guns here. While 48÷2x is not 24x, 48÷2(x) is a little more ambiguous since you could argue that it is the equivalent of 48÷2*x.

^ Haha, yeah seriously...

This really shouldn't need to be typed out and explained, but it seems some people here need to be schooled.

PEMDAS or BEDMAS where division and multiplication share the same order (whichever comes first) and similarly addition and subtraction share the same order (last) pending on whichever comes first in the equation.

48÷2(9+3)

Step 1: (9+3) = 12 (bracket) Step 2: 48÷2 = 24 Division comes before multiplication because it's shown earlier in the equation Step 3: 24(12) = 288

Seriously, why the hell are we discussing grade school math here?

Just so those of you who think its 2 don't feel dumb its being argued all over the internet right now.... comical.

Kanon:
How sad...

Anyway, those still in denial and not willing to accept the rules of order of ops, throw '=48/2(9+3)' in excel

sure, order of ops but as written implies 48÷(2x) rather than 48÷2*x

either way it's not a big deal

Solidarity:
Kanon:
How sad...

Anyway, those still in denial and not willing to accept the rules of order of ops, throw '=48/2(9+3)' in excel

sure, order of ops but as written implies 48÷(2x) rather than 48÷2*x

either way it's not a big deal

I originally sided with 288, but Solidarity brings up a very good argument for 2. So I change my answer to this: there is no answer. Some genius somewhere came up with this seemingly simple math problem that is fundamentally flawed in that it has ambiguous syntax. Probably laughing his ass off about how a bunch of dolts are arguing over something with no real answer

Kanon:
How sad...

Go ahead and plug it into excel. It'll show you this error:

Microsoft Office Excel found an error in the formula you entered. Do you want to accept the correction proposed below?

=48/2*(9+3)

Like I said, the question was very poorly written. It has nothing to do with order of operations here. You can interpret the question in both ways.

-MBP

manbearpig:
Kanon:
How sad...

Go ahead and plug it into excel. It'll show you this error:

Microsoft Office Excel found an error in the formula you entered. Do you want to accept the correction proposed below?

=48/2*(9+3)

Like I said, the question was very poorly written. It has nothing to do with order of operations here. You can interpret the question in both ways.

Excel does that because it is not programmed to interpret a number enclosed in parentheses as a factor. That said, the order of operations is not open to debate just because a software app can't interpret the syntax.

MBP - that's my point though. Yes the equation is poorly written, but it's an accepted fact that when you write something like y(z) it means y x z. And excel while not programmed to interpret enclosed numbers as a factor as whateverittakes said above, it recognizes that y(z) is generally interpreted as y x z and it makes the fix after giving you the error message.

The original equation 48÷2(9+3) is 48÷2(9+3) NOT 48÷(2(9+3)). The 2(9+3) is just a lazier version of 2(9+3).

Ok, my entire point is that if there is no consistency in the way a question is formulated, regardless of how simple it is, there is room for interpretation. I can tell you that based on the way the question is written, if I interpret it to mean 48/2x, where x = 9+3, then I'm not wrong. If I interpret it to mean 48/2*x, then I'm still not wrong. I can even interpret y(z) to be some completely strange group action if I want, or that we are in a finite field of order 277, in which case the answer most certainly is not 288.

If you want common sense to apply to the solution, you need to write the question with a bit of common sense. Otherwise, you need to spell out all of your assumptions in the question.

-MBP

Those arguing 288 might find this interesting

Date: 02/13/2000 at 13:59:53 From: Jerome Breitenbach Subject: Order of Arithmetic Operations

Alas, my search for an "authority" on this matter has been nearly fruitless. The closest thing I have found is the convention used by the Mathematical Reviews of the American Mathematical Society (AMS), at Mathematical Reviews Database - Guide for Reviewers http://www.ams.org/authors/guide-reviewers.html

that "multiplication indicated by juxtaposition is carried out before division." Thus, in general, for any variables a, b and c, we would have a/bc = a/(bc) (assuming, of course, that b and c are nonzero). Indeed, this convention is consistent with what I have seen in many mathematical books at various levels;

Source: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/57021.html

I've learned something valuable from this thread. You all are a bunch of cunts with very little social skills.

This question was poorly written and can easily confuse. It isn't like someone cannot add 2+2. Calling people retards or fucking morons will get you no where, regardless of how correct you are.

ANT:
I've learned something valuable from this thread. You all are a bunch of cunts with very little social skills.

This question was poorly written and can easily confuse. It isn't like someone cannot add 2+2. Calling people retards or fucking morons will get you no where, regardless of how correct you are.

Thank you. My point entirely.

-MBP

jmayhem:
I think this thread just proved a lot of bankers are just as stupid as the rest of the population.

I would argue that they're dumber than everyone else. Based on this intellectual performance.

-MBP

I'm confused as to how you find this poorly written, (9+3) does not equal /12/ or 12, but (12), as in a value to be multiplied. Making it 48 / 2 (12), then 24 (12), then 288.

Either way, I agree with ANT. Can't believe you guys are calling each other retards over a stupid math problem. Hah.

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis, you can't trust people Jeremy

Jorgé:
I'm confused as to how you find this poorly written, (9+3) does not equal /12/ or 12, but (12), as in a value to be multiplied. Making it 48 / 2 (12), then 24 (12), then 288.

Either way, I agree with ANT. Can't believe you guys are calling each other retards over a stupid math problem. Hah.

Please read my earlier post. I explain the answer to your question.

-MBP

I don't think there is any question that this is the greatest thread in WSO history.

Order of operations: Rule 1: First perform any calculations inside parentheses. Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right. Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.

Therefore, 1. (9+3) = 12 2. 48÷2 = 24, 24(12) = 288 3. None left

Answer is 288, based on the way the OP wrote the equation. End of story.

Going Concern:
I don't think there is any question that this is the greatest thread in WSO history.

Order of operations: Rule 1: First perform any calculations inside parentheses. Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right. Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.

Therefore, 1. (9+3) = 12 2. 48÷2 = 24, 24(12) = 288 3. None left

Answer is 288, based on the way the OP wrote the equation. End of story.

Wrong. It is not the end of story. In elementary arithmetic (the one that contains the ÷ sign) the operation x(y) is not defined. You can't just assume it means x(y). If you assume that x(y) = x(y), then the answer is 288. If you assume x(y) = (x*y), then the answer is 2. Since the operation to begin with is not properly define, the problem is not well formed. So, like I said, the answer depends on your assumptions. If you assume x(y) = x^y, the answer is something entirely different. You can even assume that there are no numbers greater than 53 (i.e. the field Z_53).

Once again, you assumed the question was asking 48/2*(9+3). But that is not what was written.

-MBP

EDIT: yeah, I get what you mean now but I don't think we're trying to distribute the 12 here... My 1/48th Chinese ancestry says so lol.

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis, you can't trust people Jeremy

Jorgé:
I did, and not to be a dick but I didn't see any room for different interpretations in it at all dude. While I get what you mean, it really is pretty straight forward and I think you're just confusing yourself by overanalyzing what x(y) could be.

I really don't mean this in the dick way I know it's going to come off (no pun intended).

Have you ever taken a serious course in mathematics? Not the bullshit you learn in high school or a basic calculus course in freshman year, but a rigorous course in algebra where you study groups, fields and other algebraic structures? If you had, you really wouldn't have made the statement about "overanalyzing what x(y) could be." Understanding what x(y) means is the entire source of the confusion in the question. And it's not defined in elementary arithmetic. It doesn't mean multiplication. PEMDAS/BEDMAS doesn't even apply until you define what x(y) means. Normally you can infer it from the question, but in this case you can't.

-MBP

manbearpig:
Jorgé:
I did, and not to be a dick but I didn't see any room for different interpretations in it at all dude. While I get what you mean, it really is pretty straight forward and I think you're just confusing yourself by overanalyzing what x(y) could be.

I really don't mean this in the dick way I know it's going to come off (no pun intended).

Have you ever taken a serious course in mathematics? Not the bullshit you learn in high school or a basic calculus course in freshman year, but a rigorous course in algebra where you study groups, fields and other algebraic structures? If you had, you really wouldn't have made the statement about "overanalyzing what x(y) could be." Understanding what x(y) means is the entire source of the confusion in the question. And it's not defined in elementary arithmetic. It doesn't mean multiplication. PEMDAS/BEDMAS doesn't even apply until you define what x(y) means. Normally you can infer it from the question, but in this case you can't.

MBP, you are SPOT ON. If I had an SB to give you would get one. The definition of x(y) is absolutely the source of the ambiguity and the reason why this isn't as simple as it looks.

Awon Eleyi Awon Eleyi Won Bad Gan:

But I tried it on my flatmates calculator and got different results lol

When CALCULATORS argue over the right answer, you know the question is flawed, LOL.

manbearpig:
lol, fucking WSO. I get 3 monkey shits for being right the entire time. wow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracket_(mathematics)

x(y) is a verrrrrrry well known abbreviation for x*(y). Look at any math book expanding a product, such as x!, and it is always represented as x(x-1)(x-2)...

The multiplication is obvious.

Also that calculator computes different values because of an error in the parser implementation.

absinthe:
manbearpig:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracket_(mathematics)

x(y) is a verrrrrrry well known abbreviation for x*(y). Look at any math book expanding a product, such as x!, and it is always represented as x(x-1)(x-2)...

The multiplication is obvious.

Also that calculator computes different values because of an error in the parser implementation.

I'm sorry, but where in that article does it say that x(y) is the same as x*(y)? I never denied that it is commonly understood that way. But it is also commonly understood in many other ways.

It's also pretty commonly understood that xy = yx, but in general it is completely wrong (look up non-abelian groups). And giving me one example of x! being expressed as x(x-1)...1 doesn't prove anything.

The multiplication, most certainly, is not obvious. And if you want to go with the conventional way of solving it, the answer is still 2.

-MBP

absinthe:
manbearpig:

O really? http://www.studygs.net/pemdas/pemdas2.htm

Solving this equation the same way would give an answer of 2. This equation could easily be argued both ways. My first answer when I first saw it was 288, but after thinking about it, I'm sitting on the fence. I also have one calculator showing me 2 and one showing 288. Not sure which one to use for my finals lol

The accepted mathematical convention is that when two unknown numbers are juxtaposed, they are multiplied, and that multiplication takes precedence over division. Thus, in this case we multiply 2*12 before we divide, so we get 2.

tyrets:
If written in Excel exactly as typed above the answer is 288. My math guys here also said it is 288. (9+3) first then left to right to solve.

Who are your 'math' guys? Also, you can't type it exactly as it's shown in the OP in excel.

-MBP

manbearpig:
tyrets:
If written in Excel exactly as typed above the answer is 288. My math guys here also said it is 288. (9+3) first then left to right to solve.

Who are your 'math' guys? Also, you can't type it exactly as it's shown in the OP in excel.

If you type it into Excel it autocorrects the equation to 48/2*(9+3). My "math" guys as in analysts. They did the equation then typed into excel to see what it said. Both arrived at 288.

monkeymark:
excel says it's 288, therefore it's 288.

Wrong. Excel doesn't say it's 288. Excel doesn't answer it until it guesses what you actually mean. It's only after you clarify what you mean to Excel that it answers 288. If the clarity had been provided in the OP from the very beginning, there wouldn't have been this outrageous debate over arithmetic.

-MBP

I skipped all the discussion: the question is poorly written and requires clarification.

Is they stupid....Engrish much?

……..…../´¯/)……….. (\¯\ …………/….//……….. …\\….\ ………../….//………… ….\\….\ …../´¯/…./´¯\………../¯\….\¯`\ .././…/…./…./.|……| .\….\….\…... (.(….(….(…./.)..)..(..(. \….)….)….).) .\…………….\/…/….. ..\/……………./ ..\…………….. /……..\……………..…/ ….\…………..(………. ..)……………./

Get busy living

boutiquebank4life:
288 = bankers 2 = back office

looks like we have the back office team in this thread lined up nice and neat

All you're proving with this statement is that bankers are more ignorant about mathematics, not that there's anything wrong with that. Also, I'm not in the "back office"

-MBP

What I agree with.

Distributive property of multiplication. Early Algebra.

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire term and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (29+23). Let me repeat the 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it.

So this can be rewritten as: 48 / (29 + 23)

Which leaves us with

48 / 24 = 2

Answer = 2.

Lastly for those using Google or any other online calculator. These do not understand many theorems or properties so you must explicitly explain what you mean. There is a difference between 48 / 2 (9+3) and 48 / 2(9+3). The first notation reads 48 / 2 * 1(9+3) while the second reads 48 / (29+2*3). Be very careful with your signs.

Malakari:
What I agree with.

Distributive property of multiplication. Early Algebra.

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire term and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (29+23). Let me repeat the 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it.

So this can be rewritten as: 48 / (29 + 23)

Which leaves us with

48 / 24 = 2

Answer = 2.

Lastly for those using Google or any other online calculator. These do not understand many theorems or properties so you must explicitly explain what you mean. There is a difference between 48 / 2 (9+3) and 48 / 2(9+3). The first notation reads 48 / 2 * 1(9+3) while the second reads 48 / (29+2*3). Be very careful with your signs.

lol distributive property your dumb ass. how can you only distribute only part of the coefficient?

or do you seriously believe 48/2*(a+b) is not the same as 48/2(a+b) ???????

This is absurd. 48/2(9+3) can be rewritten as (48)/(2)(12) - I don't think anyone will argue that I can put ()s around numbers. Which can be re-written as (x)/(y)(z). Note (y)(z)=(y)(z) So (x)/(y)(z)=288. This is not ambiguous at all. I would also say that TECHNICALLY, 48/2x = 24x, though it would typically be interpreted differently.

And seriously, bringing group theory into this is ridiculous.

Dr Joe:
This is absurd. 48/2(9+3) can be rewritten as (48)/(2)(12) - I don't think anyone will argue that I can put ()s around numbers. Which can be re-written as (x)/(y)(z). Note (y)(z)=(y)(z) So (x)/(y)(z)=288. This is not ambiguous at all. I would also say that TECHNICALLY, 48/2x = 24x, though it would typically be interpreted differently.

And seriously, bringing group theory into this is ridiculous.

Totally and completely wrong. And I was not bringing in group theory to prove anything. It was just illustrative of how you can interpret the problem differently.

Also, 48/2x is24/x. Not 24x.

-MBP

According to this Math Explanation , it's 288 as paranthesis are exactly the same as multiplication which is on the same level as division and should therefore be solved left to right

however according to this Math Explanation, it's 2 as paranthesis does outrank division and therefore should be solved first.

There does not seem to be a generally accepted way of resolving the conflict which explains why even the best scientific calculators are giving different solutions to the problem

Let's just agree that the question is too ambiguous and solid arguments can be found for both camps.

According to this Math Explanation , it's 288 as paranthesis are exactly the same as multiplication which is on the same level as division and should therefore be solved left to right

however according to this Math Explanation, it's 2 as paranthesis does outrank division and therefore should be solved first.

There does not seem to be a generally accepted way of resolving the conflict which explains why even the best scientific calculators are giving different solutions to the problem

Let's just agree that the question is too ambiguous and solid arguments can be found for both camps.

Ding ding ding.

Ambiguity sucks and there's usually a reason the other guy thinks the way he does.

"Dude, not trying to be a dick here, but your shop looks like a frontrunner for the cover of Better Boilerrooms & Chophouses or Bucketshop Quarterly." -Uncle Eddie

the calculator is only as smart as its operator if you put a problem in the calculator with -(1) and then you did another problem with (-1) you'd get two different answers.....

For the record I sent this to a list at my engineering school (top 5 in some disciplines, top 10 overall) to a list of engineers from biomed, chemE, aerospace, EE, compE, IE, mechE(phd), math/statistics, and even computer science and they were split between 2 and 288 also. At first I thought it was pretty straight forward its 288. But now I'm changing my mind that maybe it is written ambigiously.

OMFG no wonder no one knows how CDOs MBS ect ect are calculated. We cant even agree on a simple math problem that is obviously 288. It would be 2 if it was written like this 48/(2(9=3)). Since there isnt a 2nd set of brackets to quantify the the 2 times 12 step. Since it is written in a line item way you can rule out a fractional equation since its not written as a fraction.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

heister:
OMFG no wonder no one knows how CDOs MBS ect ect are calculated. We cant even agree on a simple math problem that is obviously 288. It would be 2 if it was written like this 48/(2(9=3)). Since there isnt a 2nd set of brackets to quantify the the 2 times 12 step. Since it is written in a line item way you can rule out a fractional equation since its not written as a fraction.

I understand credit derivatives and their pricing very well. And I assure you that both 288, and 2 are valid given the ambiguity in the way the question is written. It's poorly written. That's all there is to it. Can we please just all move on now?

-MBP

manbearpig:
heister:

I understand credit derivatives and their pricing very well. And I assure you that both 288, and 2 are valid given the ambiguity in the way the question is written. It's poorly written. That's all there is to it. Can we please just all move on now?

I was refering to people outside of banking, I should have specified that. My bad guys.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Bi-Winning]A bunch of [non-target wannabe] bankers arguing with a MFE student about arithmetic.... Only on <abbr title=Wall Street Oasis>WSO</abbr>.</p> <p>MBP, you deserved those SBs.</p> <p>[quote=Barcadia]<a href=http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133417023[/quote rel=nofollow>http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133417023[/quote</a>:

LOL, these guys are still at it.

Good Idea to post the link here and refer them to our discussion?
Get busy living

This question is absolutely ambiguous. However, you can't say that both answers are correct. Both answers are actually incorrect and this question does not have an answer.

Answering EITHER 2 or 288 would imply turning 48÷2(9+3) into either 48÷2(x) where x = 9+3, 48÷2*(9+3), or some other "equivalent expression." But you cannot do this. NONE of these other expressions are equivalent expressions, and there are no set-in-stone rules for how to apply the implied multiplication in the first question.

We can, however, based purely on mathematical tradition and such, debate about whether, if such a rule were created, the implied multiplication would be interpreted as 2(x) or 2*(9+3)

I personally think it makes more sense to give 2(9+3) prioirity over the 48÷2. I'm not saying that it's the correct way, but I'm saying that for the future, this should be made the correct way of interpreting the problem.

48/2(9+3) = 288 with no ambiguity. The adjacency convention is for multiplication. It's not "inconsistent" to use adjacency to represent multiplication because this is never done for division...division is always specified by an actual symbol.

Also, I never said that (a+b)(c+d) = a+bc+d. I said that it is the convention to omit the multiplication symbol * where parenthesis makes it unnecessary. So (a+b)(c+d) = (a+b)(c+d) as normal. Similarly, 10/(2+3)(1+1) = 10/(2+3)(1+1) = 10/52 = 22 = 4.

And for those of you bringing up the distributive property of multiplication...that doesn't change the order of operations at all.

absinthe:
48/2(9+3) = 288 with no ambiguity. The adjacency convention is for multiplication. It's not "inconsistent" to use adjacency to represent multiplication because this is never done for division...division is always specified by an actual symbol.

Also, I never said that (a+b)(c+d) = a+bc+d. I said that it is the convention to omit the multiplication symbol * where parenthesis makes it unnecessary. So (a+b)(c+d) = (a+b)(c+d) as normal. Similarly, 10/(2+3)(1+1) = 10/(2+3)(1+1) = 10/52 = 22 = 4.

And for those of you bringing up the distributive property of multiplication...that doesn't change the order of operations at all.

First of all, division is just an artificial simplification as an illustrative tool to teach kids. There's no real definition of division in rigorous mathematics. There is only addition and multiplication. Subtraction is just addition of an additive inverse, and division is just multiplication of a multiplicative inverse (look up algebraic field for further clarification of how the number systems you are familiar with are constructed rigorously). That is why there are no short hand conventions for "division". So if the question had been written in conventional notation, there would be no confusion to begin with. This is the exact reason why mathematics is formed on a rigorous foundation. But of course, the material has to be bastardized when it is taught to kids, and then they have a hard time relearning it properly.

You missed my entire earlier point btw. I never said you were saying (a+b)(c+d) = a+bc+d. It was just an illustration.

-MBP

The point that people miss about PEMDAS is that it's really P E M/D A/S

multiplication and division happen at the same time (from left to right) as do addition and subtraction.

this means M and D are interchangeable so having MD is the same as DM

In your example the first is correct not because division always come before multiplication but because the division in the problem is first.

Disclaimer for the Kids: Any forward-looking statements are solely for informational purposes and cannot be taken as investment advice. Consult your moms before deciding where to invest.

captainkoolaid:
The point that people miss about PEMDAS is that it's really P E M/D A/S

multiplication and division happen at the same time (from left to right) as do addition and subtraction.

this means M and D are interchangeable so having MD is the same as DM

In your example the first is correct not because division always come before multiplication but because the division in the problem is first.

This is correct. If you are left with a multiplication part and division part, you go from left to right. One does NOT supersede the other. Same with addition and subtraction.

48 / 2(9+3) = 48 / 2 * 12 = 24 * 12 = 288

My question is, how can you expect someone to find the answer when the basis of the problem is described in a non quanitive fashion such as, (a+b)(c+d) I mean honestly it would be much easier just to use number and give a damn answer.

MBP but wouldn't you say for it to be read the first way you need another set of parenthesis? or would you say that doesn't matter?

blackfinancier:
MBP but wouldn't you say for it to be read the first way you need another set of parenthesis? or would you say that doesn't matter?

That would really spell it out and take away the ambiguity. For sure. But not necessarily. See, my entire point from the start has been that no one would write the problem like this. In rigorous notation, it would be written in one of these two ways:

48(2^(-1))(9+3) = 288 or 48((2(9+3))^-1) = 2

There would be no division. Just multiplication and addition.

*Unnecessary overuse of brackets because can't type in mathematical notation here.

-MBP

manbearpig:
blackfinancier:

That would really spell it out and take away the ambiguity. For sure. But not necessarily. See, my entire point from the start has been that no one would write the problem like this. In rigorous notation, it would be written in one of these two ways:

48(2^(-1))(9+3) = 288 or 48((2(9+3))^-1) = 2

There would be no division. Just multiplication and addition.

*Unnecessary overuse of brackets because can't type in mathematical notation here.

But since the parenthesis aren't there aren't you forced to do it in a way where the answer comes out to 288?

So thus far, we've used various casio and TI calculators to no avail. And then we consulted engineers, math prof's, computer science experts, blah blah blah... who also yielded similar ambiguity.

Yet no one, up until this point, sought the answer from the golden brushed-aluminum god that is the HP12C.

(Leveraged Sellout excerpt: "Excel Mobile, it speaks a pure, unambiguous language: Reverse Polish, a postfix notation that eliminates non-commutative issues.")

48 enter 2 [ / ] enter 9 enter 3 [ + ] [ * ] = 288

"1/10th the functionality, 10x the badass."

sixrings:
288 = 48÷2(9+3)

Just order of operations

Parathese/Brackets first (9+3=12), then (48/2=24, since you go from left to right), then (24*12=288).

I don't get the point of this post....

it's official... there's literally NOTHING more that can be said about this thread. this has to be the fiftieth time someone has said this exact thing. can we close this now please???

sayandarula:
sixrings:
288 = 48÷2(9+3)

Just order of operations

Parathese/Brackets first (9+3=12), then (48/2=24, since you go from left to right), then (24*12=288).

I don't get the point of this post....

it's official... there's literally NOTHING more that can be said about this thread. this has to be the fiftieth time someone has said this exact thing. can we close this now please???

Seconded... or probably the 10th person to agree. The reason why this hasn't ended even with me, you, and everyone writing out why it's 288... is because then the "2" camp will debate that parentheses =/= the same as multiplication and making their justifications for it or whatever else... and so on back and forth. No matter what else can be said, neither side will concede.

The middle ground can only be that this question can be better written so that there is no question for misinterpretation. Besides that, or a mod closing the thread, only way one group or the other would shut up is if someone like Stephen Hawking makes a public announcement to shut everyone up once and for all.

FutureGekko:
look at what I caused...
This has proved far more divisive than any political/economic/moral/school discussion. Look at the havoc you have created lol.
Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art - Andy Warhol

There is NOTHING wrong with the way this question was phrased. This would've made a nice SAT or GMAT problem haha. Even I got it wrong on the first try (im an engineer) and I thought it was 2....then i looked back and was like waiiiit a second.

guys if you got it wrong the first time and thought it was 2 -- you just made a careless mistake. chillsies. HOWEVER if you persistently keep persisting that the answer is indeed 2, then you really are coming off as a dumbass. Pick up your egos and realize that even you who went to an ivy league school and now makes six figures would make a careless mistake and shut the fuck up ;)

so stop it. the answer is NOT 2. :)

lookatmycock:
There is NOTHING wrong with the way this question was phrased. This would've made a nice SAT or GMAT problem haha. Even I got it wrong on the first try (im an engineer) and I thought it was 2....then i looked back and was like waiiiit a second.

OH you're an engineer???? Holy shit, then you MUST be the ultimate authority because everyone knows that engineers have the deepest understanding of mathematics (granted this is extremely simple shit, but there's a subtlety most people here seem to be missing). Dude reality check, engineers are complete dumbasses at math because they learn it completely wrong their entire academic lives. And the reason is that they never need to understand it properly, just use it.

Nobody was insisting that the answer is 2. The discussion was around whether the question is poorly written or not, and it absolutely is. I've explained it at length in my earlier posts and refuse to do it again.

-MBP

manbearpig:
lookatmycock:

OH you're an engineer???? Holy shit, then you MUST be the ultimate authority because everyone knows that engineers have the deepest understanding of mathematics (granted this is extremely simple shit, but there's a subtlety most people here seem to be missing). Dude reality check, engineers are complete dumbasses at math because they learn it completely wrong their entire academic lives. And the reason is that they never need to understand it properly, just use it.

Nobody was insisting that the answer is 2. The discussion was around whether the question is poorly written or not, and it absolutely is. I've explained it at length in my earlier posts and refuse to do it again.

Some people were insisting that the answer is 2.... haha

manbearpig:
lookatmycock:

yep! Engineers are dumbasses. Especially compared to accountants XD
More is good, all is better

I'm more than willing to drop it. I had dropped it on at least 3 occasions. And for the last time, I don't think it's 2. I think there's more than one way to interpret the question, and all interpretations are valid because the question is poorly written. It's the so-called '288ers' who are not dropping it because they keep saying everyone who thinks otherwise is stupid.

Anyway - my last post on this thread. It was fun debating.

-MBP

I'm the one that started this question (not here, just in general). My 6th grade son came home with this problem on Wednesday and I posted it on FB. Within hours it was all over the internet.

The issue is that the expression is poorly written and ambiguous. The answer depends on how you interpret implicit multiplication. Would you view 48÷2x as (48÷2)x or 48÷(2x)? Most people (and about half of the calculators) give implicit multiplication a higher priority than implicit multiplication and will come up with 2 as the answer. But it seems that 288 is just as acceptable depending on what rules you have learned and apply.

Anyway, in order for him to pass the standardized testing he has to deal with it as is and he will learn better notation as he moves up.

It is absolutely mind boggling that this seemingly simple expression has gained world wide attention. It inspired me to put together this short video.

[quote=alcarl]I'm the one that started this question (not here, just in general). My 6th grade son came home with this problem on Wednesday and I posted it on FB. Within hours it was all over the internet.

The issue is that the expression is poorly written and ambiguous. The answer depends on how you interpret implicit multiplication. Would you view 48÷2x as (48÷2)x or 48÷(2x)? Most people (and about half of the calculators) give implicit multiplication a higher priority than implicit multiplication and will come up with 2 as the answer. But it seems that 288 is just as acceptable depending on what rules you have learned and apply.

Anyway, in order for him to pass the standardized testing he has to deal with it as is and he will learn better notation as he moves up.

It is absolutely mind boggling that this seemingly simple expression has gained world wide attention. It inspired me to put together this short video.

]

answer is 288 there is no arguing

Quo sed tempore voluptas aut veniam incidunt magni. Cumque reprehenderit doloremque unde. Modi et ab quia tempore exercitationem sapiente. Beatae vero voluptatem consequuntur commodi et commodi facere non. Rerum expedita rerum ex consequatur error esse inventore dolorum.

Enim doloremque ut quaerat id repellendus. Ut ducimus accusantium minus assumenda suscipit dolorem. Et adipisci velit sit magni dolores minus. Aliquid ut veritatis ducimus. Dolorem qui molestiae a voluptatem et consectetur optio.

Eos maxime quis eos labore velit. Animi consequuntur quia eius iusto iusto. Autem quod nemo enim cupiditate numquam voluptas. Quia quas saepe in animi voluptates iusto.

Nulla iusto quia et amet. Quia quo odio libero vitae harum ipsum non. Repellat aspernatur sit et sed nemo quia. Veniam laborum odio sed.

Voluptate id voluptates cumque ut aut alias nobis. Id deserunt id et qui dignissimos minima.

Aut velit deserunt rerum eos aliquam aut facere. Asperiores fugiat est distinctio occaecati. Nam asperiores est sint ea. Dignissimos qui ut dignissimos rerum rerum.

- Bulls make money. Bears make money. Pigs get slaughtered. - The harder you work, the luckier you become. - I believe in the "Golden Rule": the man with the gold rules.

Est non tenetur velit aliquam fugit. Dolorem omnis ut amet reiciendis id et eligendi. Eaque et minima cumque nihil ad earum repudiandae. Assumenda minus eum praesentium recusandae. Ut quaerat dolores ipsa pariatur dolorem eligendi. Sit ducimus assumenda tenetur saepe enim. Dolorem ad consequatur magnam quo.

Temporibus qui omnis dolores nam cumque cum ut. Eveniet quia iure dicta sit distinctio.

More is good, all is better

Qui omnis molestiae ut earum deleniti. Ut qui tempora itaque quos placeat est. Distinctio sapiente excepturi et in voluptates. Impedit voluptas expedita quasi voluptatem placeat molestiae nobis.

Sunt deserunt numquam fuga et. Aliquid in nam assumenda doloremque ut consectetur laboriosam. Quam sed minima blanditiis voluptatem quas tempore modi. Iure tempore tempora ducimus est quis. Explicabo qui nesciunt voluptatem autem porro enim inventore.

Excepturi velit accusamus deleniti labore sed quisquam architecto. Aliquam dolorem minima aspernatur et eveniet voluptatum officia. Et sunt quia illum. Rerum adipisci explicabo repudiandae quia. A est voluptas vel. Rerum ut nemo odit id et quae. Quibusdam tempore enim et officiis iste fuga natus aut.

Architecto voluptate eos aut quasi sed molestiae sapiente. Ad eveniet dolores facere reprehenderit velit quia reiciendis. Enim at velit dolorem nemo consectetur et aspernatur. Sapiente sint debitis dignissimos quo molestiae. Nemo voluptates reiciendis aliquam et blanditiis. Et odit repudiandae ducimus voluptas voluptate aut.

http://ayainsight.co/ Curating the best advice and making it actionable.

Neque labore qui reiciendis ut repudiandae. Voluptas vel rerum sed amet ea velit. Optio eum doloribus dolores beatae qui.

Iste et dolore qui asperiores nihil. Beatae vel cum est maiores. Placeat eligendi in molestiae iusto animi mollitia. Necessitatibus fugiat quae cum corrupti inventore aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”