YoE: 2y

Quant

2023: 750k, a portion deferred

Notes: meh, could’ve been better

If this is not bs, do you hold a PhD? What kind of strategy?

Analyst 2 in HF - Other:

YoE: 2y

Quant

2023: 750k, a portion deferred

Notes: meh, could’ve been better

how old are you? where’d you go to school? I’m a highschool student — would love advice on how to get into quant trading.

4 yrs out of school - London

Intersection between Quant/fundamental 

2023 -  125k + 1.8m

2022 - 125k + 2.75m

very happy, was expecting around 1.1m bonus but my bosses knew I had some pretty large offers to leave and turned them down so think he rewarded the loyalty. 

I mean they are understanding because its that common time when I have been running risk for a couple years now and done pretty well that I have basically moved into junior pm role. Then when places are offering to 6x your risk allocation you have to be pretty stupid to not hear them out. 

I went to uni a year early and UK Bsc degree only 3 years, so 24 years old (turning 25 in a couple months). I work on a super lean team in nat gas trading hence the ridiculous compensation over last couple years 

6/5
MM l/s
$1.6m
$900k
+LSD alpha on carve-out. Solid but not anazing

What's LSD alpha?

Better than being 0’d out… what’s your base? Also interested in comp progression as I’m also pretty junior

For everyone wondering this is a much more realistic comp number than the posters above 

Most Helpful

My career thus far:

2017: school 25k

2018: analyst 0 years experience 250k

2019: analyst 1 years experience 200k if annualized. however, I did not earn all this money because our pod was fired mid year and i was unemployed for several months.

2020: analyst 2 years experience 350k

2021: analyst 3 years experience 525k

2022: Last year being a full time analyst. 775k all in comp. It was a good year though. normal comp for an analyst would be more like the previous year ~ 500k. at some point your comp as an analyst is just capped. If you become a career analyst for life, you can see your total comp rise to as high as $1M averaged across multiple years.

2023: I'm on a hybrid structure of analyst/PM so the firm decided to give me 50% of the discretionary bonus of an analyst. 400k discretionary bonus + base. 1.1M formulaic bonus with significant % deferred.

2024: I'm a full PM now. Expect to make ~2M all in comp with much higher allocation. however there's obviously a ton of variance around that #

I would say my outcome is in the 90th percentile of people I know from my graduating cohort. A more median comp trajectory for someone who joined the MMHF world is starting at 200k year 1 and getting paid an average of about 350k per year for the next 5 years. This is averaging over outcomes which include getting fired, getting zero bonus, normal years and amazing years.

People on this forum have the following misconceptions about HF comp

1. Someone's gonna pay you millions per year with no career risk to be a lifetime analyst. General rule: no risk no book no $.

2. PMs have it so much better. I'm getting paid about 3x as much this year compared to doing analyst work. I think it's fair when you consider that I could be canned for losing money, half my comp is deferred, and my income is basically a RNG. However, the lifestyle is certainly better. 

3. comp is a straight line function of years of experience. I've been canned. I've had 0 bonus years. You should expect this in your career as well.

Gotta love the confidence of projecting a $2M bonus with formulaic payouts not even halfway through January

Great post, you had a much better career than any of the quants I know. As you said, most places won't let you stay as an analyst long term but there is not always a path to pm/sub-pm either. I think it's harder to do in quant than fundamental or macro.

I run a market timing strategy in an extremely liquid energy market. I sell risk premium, take directional bets based on our internal s/d trends vs market and trade a small number of technical factors. If I had to guess this year it was 60/25/15 contributions from the 3 sub portfolios. 

Remembering seeing a post a while back how all corporate careers are actually priced in accordance to risk/reward. Honestly I dont think its that far off. Couple poor decisions and some bad luck and not managing the associated stress correctly and boom career over at a hf. Also a large portion of luck involved in getting into a seat under a PM you really like that will teach you the right way. Similar to what was said above I remember when I first started managing risk I would wake up every night at 3am and not be able to go back to sleep till I had checked the news to make sure I wasn't about to lose a fuck ton of money from a black swan event, its rather stressful. PE is still the best risk adjusted return as far as finance jobs go as its outcomes are almost entirely derived from having over a certain level of intelligence and working really hard.

As someone that could have gone the quant route, I made this exact analysis and thus went the PE way. But I do have to say now I have a tinge of regret as knowing myself better I could have taken on a bit more career volatility. In my role (ASO1) I just don't see a way to a 7 figure year until 10 years post graduation (talking about actually receiving carry, not just vesting on paper), if I last that long.

I am at a medium-sized multi-strat.

Pay is somewhere between formulaic and discretionary: teams generally make a % of pnl but there is some range/discretion around that and the split seems to be more flat (PM doesn't take 80% of bonus pool).  I'm probably most akin to a jr PM the MM model (pay depends on the subset of investments I manage, and 2023 was my floor, but my typical % is in the mid single digits of pnl on my trades).

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): 3.5 / 1.5

Strategy (SM / MM / Asset Class): MM rates

Total 2023 Comp (Base + Bonus): $100k + $100k

Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): $100k + $50k

Notes / Performance: Ok but not great year. Up low-mid single digit %. Mildly disappointed with my share of the comp pool, but we didn't blow up and I didn't get fired.

Confused. Isn’t performance above the benchmark alpha? How can you have alpha if you underperform the benchmark?

benchmark might be SPX but your net might be lower than 100%

No, there are multi-strat SMs kinda an in-between of traditional SM and MM

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): 7/5

Strategy (SM / MM / Asset Class): SM L/S

Total 2023 Comp (Base + Bonus): $250 + $425

Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): MF PE for last 3 years so irrelevant 

Notes / Performance: firm did well but narrow range of comp give first year in industry

Would you mind sharing ballpark AUM/IP?

Don’t want to give specifics so >$1B AUM and relatively lean.

Much better in almost every way. My personal belief is that the average PE seat is better than the average SM L/S seat, but the best SM L/S seats are better the best PE seats. I was at a very well respected group in MF PE and my colleagues were great, but at the end of the day, it’s a transaction-oriented job and I hated the grind / giving up your life until you get higher up the totem pole and even then, I didn’t like the idea of being on 6-8 boards, attending 6-8 board meetings per quarter and constantly traveling for management meetings / other portco events. If you actually think about it, it’s an insane amount of travel (6 board meetings / quarter + 3 random portco meetings / quarter + 5 management meetings / quarter + 5 sourcing meetings / quarter and average 2 travel days for each of these meetings). The above is more than 150 days of travel per year and that’s a pretty conservative estimate. Sure you can combine board meetings or dial in to some, but the point is that you are constantly on the road as a senior PE professional and that’s not something I wanted. You sacrifice a lot of things (e.g., family, pets, hobbies, health, etc.) and there are a lot of different ways to make money with having a little bit more control.

YoE: 2/2

SM L/S Equity

2023 Comp: 150 + 185

Fund has a fine to bad year. We had a small HWM so no performance fees. 

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): 4/2

Strategy (SM / MM / Asset Class): MM 

Total 2023 Comp (Base + Bonus): $160 + $230

Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): $140 + $180

Notes / Performance: Poor year, would expect $500+ in 2024

One of the tier one shops. It definitely is good comp, I'm very happy with it. I also interviewed with shops that were in the low $100s, and one that wasn't even 100k all-in lol. Seems like there's a lot of variance in terms of first year LO comp.

How do you like credit LO? I'm a junior in equity LO, but seems like the secular outlook for credit is much better (alpha generation / asset flows).

I like it, we're arent a traditional LO Credit, more special situationsy/shittier companies.  Hours are phenomenal compared to banking, regularly <40 hours a week and the work is interesting.  We usually get big enough where we can steer outcomes and such so its interesting work, definitely more opportunity to add alpha in this environment  

Out of curiosity what would you ballpark performance at? I think I'm in a similar seat as yours, just a year ahead in experience and I feel like in a LO seat the performance swings unless dramatic don't really move comp around much at the junior level.

For context my numbers below:

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside):  3.5/2.5

Strategy (SM / MM / Asset Class):  Credit LO

Total 2023 Comp (Base + Bonus): 310k, 170/140

Notes / Performance: Performance was roughly in line with HY/LL markets (so call it 12-14%) and had strong reviews

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): 3.5 / 2

Strategy (SM / MM / Asset Class): SM - L/S

Total 2023 Comp (Base + Bonus): 335 / (135 + 200)

Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): 275 / (125 + 150)

Notes / Performance: fund had a great year, personal contribution lagged peers

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): >10 / 6

Strategy (SM / MM / Asset Class): Multi-manager L/S

Total 2023 Comp (Base + Bonus): ~$5mm

Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): ~$3.5mm

Notes / Performance: Senior Analyst with a carve out and HSD payout. Putting up really good numbers obviously - this is not an average outcome. My advice to anyone in this business is (if you're good) get to a multi-strat ASAP and get a formulaic payout.

Great year, well done. Curious, someone that runs a large carve / capable of putting up $30-70m of pnl could get a great pm seat somewhere. And with your comp #s I’d assume you have quite a bit of deferred comp. Would you mind sharing (relatively) that guarantee #s you’ve been offered given someone in your situation (senior analyst with $5-10m of deferred comp I’m guessing)? I’d think most platforms would offer a 2x uplift?

Haven't bothered with PM processes yet.. been in my seat <3 years so have been focused on building the track record and scaling up. Imagine I could get a guarantee of a few years of my historic P&L run rate at a PM payout in addition to my deferred bought out. Trying not to think about it because I'm extremely happy where I am. 

If you are actually putting up ~50m PnL you are doing yourself a disservice staying as an Analyst. Unless you can attribute massive value to being on your PM's team he's basically skimming 50% of your comp from you for doing diddly squat. Your payout should be at least 15% not HSD - that is how sub-PMs get comped at top platforms. 

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): 6 / 4

Strategy (SM / MM / Asset Class): SM L/S

Total 2023 Comp (Base + Bonus): $1.2m

Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): $500k

Notes / Performance: Was a good year and PM was unusually generous across the team given recent churn. Last year was a bad year. 

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): .5/.5
Strategy (SM / MM / Asset Class): SM Event Driven
Total 2023 Comp (Base + Bonus): $75k +
$40k
Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): school

Notes / Performance: Fund had a decent year. Was told I should be paying my PM tuition instead of getting a bonus. Not NYC. Still learning the ropes so no complaints.

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): 3/2

Strategy (SM / MM / Asset Class): 650mm AUM L/S +15% on year

Total 2023 Comp (Base + Bonus): 365k (150 / 215)

Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): 200k (100 / 100)

Notes: Honestly whelmed. We only have 4 IPs, so there’s plenty of bonus money to go around. I had significant contributions too IMO. I’m learning quite a bit so I’m probably staying for one more year, but I’m jumping if I get a good offer.

You make good money for 2 years of BS experience. Your pay is going up at a good rate. If you’re learning I’d stick around until your pay flatlines despite good performance. Realistically, how much do you expect to make at this point?

It’s not that I should be making more at this point, more so that this is seemingly the ceiling in pay at my particular shop. Due to the type of strategy that we run, this level of performance is considered a really good year. This bonus is my PM being “generous” in his view. Like you said, I’m doing well for someone with only 2 years of experience, but if this is the cap, I’d rather leave sooner than later. 

Yoe: 3/1

MM Consumer Tech Internet pod

2023: 175k / $230k good year I had a unique event that bought me some cred with PM and sr analyst.

2022: banking shit comp

This year is tracking really well so far, depending on dn fluctuations I’d say my PM will take a very risk adverse approach in some low vol spreads.. again dn is the most important factor

YOE: 2.5/1.5 (first full year at HF)

TMT Tiger Cub <$1bn AUM

$100k base / $100k bonus

Performed better than SPX on both absolute and risk-adjusted basis (our net is like ~30%). 

Not prestigious fund, just a smaller sized Tiger Cub. Chose SM cause they gave me offer and MM didn’t, no rocket science here. 

YoE - 3/1

Strategy - MM

Total 2023 Comp (Base + Bonus): 175 + 225

How did your comp jump up like that? Did you get a sleeve in your 2nd year?

Voluptates vero exercitationem alias qui consequatur assumenda beatae. In fugit quasi dolore in occaecati. Reprehenderit autem commodi quia rerum iusto ea et. Officiis adipisci ea vero repellendus sit accusantium.

Quia voluptatibus harum nostrum est architecto corporis dolore. Ut praesentium atque dolore ipsa provident consequuntur sit. Consequatur aliquid architecto cum sint rem eum. Nemo quis minus praesentium. Aut ut dolor eum non fugiat minima.

Et ex distinctio et molestias sapiente maiores recusandae. Ut voluptatem aut deserunt odio quaerat. Ipsam veritatis sed quis eos quidem consequuntur eum blanditiis.

Animi ipsa qui possimus. Natus qui officia non ut nostrum tempora. Ipsum eaque totam pariatur mollitia dolores minus velit velit. Ut necessitatibus et expedita tempore placeat autem.

Quis illum magni expedita et. Non facilis aperiam delectus. Ad et nihil aut ut quidem vel eos.

Iste inventore eveniet illum libero omnis. Quia minus et aliquam tempora ut libero nemo pariatur.

Consectetur eum dicta modi. Iure ut nihil sit voluptatibus eveniet et ea. Sint ab sint beatae asperiores.

Et accusantium qui quia molestiae similique omnis. Sunt quod animi aut et ut quas quam corrupti. Dolore vel est blanditiis aspernatur.

Ut quia libero earum enim. Error praesentium minima deleniti. Assumenda est error voluptatem voluptatem. Quo quia quia perspiciatis inventore. Dolores sed quam et labore est incidunt. Aliquam voluptatibus dolores quae eaque occaecati sapiente omnis. Sint laborum aspernatur reprehenderit.

Expedita quam sed ut adipisci nam maiores laudantium eos. Ipsum odio nesciunt ipsum corporis.

Omnis soluta reprehenderit quod quasi ducimus quibusdam autem. Qui in corporis non blanditiis. Necessitatibus facilis iure veritatis non sed facere aut.

Delectus quasi voluptatibus aut quibusdam dolor recusandae quibusdam. Id incidunt placeat illum autem vero doloribus. Deserunt et dolores iure et non.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”