Goldman Sachs 2020 SA

As I have not seen a discussion of this topic, I thought it would be a good idea to start one. With the application opening next week, can anyone provide insight into the past few years process? Feel free to discuss any and all topics related to the 2020 SA position. Thanks!

Comments (1955)

Jun 26, 2019 - 2:19pm
AllNamesTaken, what's your opinion? Comment below:

What I've heard from school alum is hirevue to phone screen to super day, unless you get on an accelerated process then I think it's hirevue straight to phone screen with the hirevue being more of a formality. But I don't know how the accelerated process works with new york - for the other offices it's apparently usually through the insight days.

• Anonymous Monkey's picture
  • Anonymous Monkey
Jun 26, 2019 - 4:17pm
Anonymous Monkey, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Heard the same thing from a recruiter. Hirevue's are seen by two different people (one HR and one in the division) they each give you a score out of 5 on three different things: communication, knowledge, and one other thing I forgot. Then they average out both their scores, and give a phone screen to the top x amount of people.

Jun 26, 2019 - 5:39pm
ballin3201, what's your opinion? Comment below:

will you get a phone screen if you have a referral (Vp level in additions to analysts)?

Array
Funniest
Jun 26, 2019 - 2:24pm
alasdihsduasdguasduadsys, what's your opinion? Comment below:

I'm still waiting for a response to my 2019 SA application. Hope I get it!

made new unrelated account - dont reply or message as i never use it. 

Jun 26, 2019 - 4:30pm
THESTREET 1010, what's your opinion? Comment below:

At Goldman IBD target. recruiter & VP on school recruitment team both said Hirevue -> Superday. My guess is that non-targets will have additional phone interview b4 superday.

Jun 26, 2019 - 4:45pm
Zemaitis32, what's your opinion? Comment below:

nope, same deal across the board confirmed today with VP in recruiting.

Hireview ---> superday for all candidates

Jun 27, 2019 - 8:11am
cluelessconsultant, what's your opinion? Comment below:

So I'm sorry if I sound dumb but does everyone/most people get a hirevue? Where does the quality of your resume/past experience/GPA factor in? Is the point of networking to get a HireVue or to pass the HireVue stage?

Again, I'm sorry if this is basic knowledge. I just don't know much.

Jun 27, 2019 - 8:32am
ThinkorSwim2015, what's your opinion? Comment below:

From my understanding, the whole reason they started hirevues was so that they could give access to far more people. At first, they would only interview mainly people at targets but now they are able to interview far more people. If you meet the criteria (GPA, Class year, etc) you should receive a hirevue. This is according to my understanding and the people I have spoken with. Hope that helps.

Jun 28, 2019 - 12:41pm
NonTargetGrinder, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Filtered resume scan (keywords), next step is hirevue, then an actual person reviews your data/application documents. First round and any face to face interview has been completely replaced with Hirevue and other algos (don't know if this is true anywhere other than BB). GL

Jun 27, 2019 - 9:17am
ib3000, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Is it necessary to have people at the firm pushing for you to get a Superday, or does the networking only kick in after that? AKA, is it too late if you don't have a strong network at GS as of now?

Jun 27, 2019 - 12:07pm
ib3000, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Is this just for IBD, or does it apply to Securities & Equity Research as well? Is it too late to start now or is it worth reaching out to people/alum

Jun 27, 2019 - 3:08pm
rickle, what's your opinion? Comment below:

It's always worth reaching out and networking. That doesn't end when you get the interview, the superday, the job. Even on the job you want to continue networking. The bigger and better (quality) network = more quality opportunities throughout your career. An extreme example of this would be a good friend of mine. He's a F150 CFO. He has his current gig because he worked for the firm's current CEO at a different firm several yrs (and jobs) ago. When the new CEO assembled his team, he called my buddy and recruited him over (from a CFO spot at a different company). They had kept in touch over the years, liked each other, etc.

Networking is not just for getting started, it's about staying in motion.

Jun 28, 2019 - 3:49pm
MB34, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Anyone get an email from HR saying that you are considered to be put on the accelerated process?

Jun 29, 2019 - 12:22am
buckeyes42, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Are yall rising sophomores or juniors? Is there an accelerated process for the sophomore timeline?

Array
Jun 29, 2019 - 12:14am
Zemaitis32, what's your opinion? Comment below:

The words "accelerated" were not used, but I did get a personal email from an HR person about looking forward to being in touch in the application process with a link to apply. Not sure if that's what you're referring to

Jul 19, 2019 - 8:16pm
LongOnly99, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Yes, just got my hirevue email today.

Array

Aug 3, 2019 - 9:30am
TonyStark234, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Mind sharing the CIMD Questions. I applied to a regional office and just got the hirevue. I will venmo you just DM me.

Array
Jul 1, 2019 - 12:28am
ALS930, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Upon attempting to apply for an investment banking SA position, I was met with an interesting conflict. I selected the "New York City" area in the application and turns out there is no option for this area for an IB SA. What???

Edit: It says that if you receive an interview, you can discuss movement another position if you were to get the SA, but after you send in this application you can not change the positions you applied to. I'm going to send in the application for Global Investment Research in this case and if I get an interview I will take it for there...

Jul 1, 2019 - 12:30am

Same lol

Array
Jul 1, 2019 - 12:50am
ALS930, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Maybe but I've already submitted an application for GIR so if they fix this "error" I won't be able to even change it for myself, I'll just have to hope for an interview and tell them in person.

Jul 1, 2019 - 12:41am

That wouldn't make sense at all

Array
Jul 1, 2019 - 12:43am
thefriendlybanker, what's your opinion? Comment below:

After filling in summer analyst and 2020 in their respective fields, i'm not seeing new york at all. i see melbourne, perth, sydney, and tokyo. anyone else having this problem?

Jul 1, 2019 - 1:02am
JMLTH9995, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Don't know whether to apply or wait for them to fix the error? edit: there is definitely IBD in SF & NY- went to recruiting events for them in spring. It's odd for it to not show up.

Jul 1, 2019 - 1:15am
big dawg 5, what's your opinion? Comment below:

I'm waiting a day or two before considering the other locations that had the division. I think LA and Chicago were available.

• Prospect in IB - Restr
Jul 1, 2019 - 1:29am

It's almost certainly an error -- I would just wait until the morning to apply.

My recommendation is to avoid submitting an app right now for any programs you would not actually want to join! There is no harm in waiting twelve hours to apply.

• Anonymous Monkey
Jul 1, 2019 - 4:02pm

did you already get an invite?

Jul 1, 2019 - 10:44am

feeling better about my chances after reading this thread..

Array
Jul 12, 2019 - 10:54pm
Soccer4Life, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Have you gotten the actual Hirevue? I only got the email telling me I was picked for the Hirevue. They said I would get it by 8 PM EST tonight but I haven't received it.

Array
Jul 1, 2019 - 11:36pm
Stephen-Alessandro, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Can anyone elaborate more on this program? Is this an IB sophomore internship only for diversity candidates or is it consumer/investment management/ securities as listed on an application I found online? If its the latter, is consumer/investment management or securities better for a IB internship junior year?

I go to a target for IB if that helps.

Jul 7, 2019 - 8:59am
gsalsucks16, what's your opinion? Comment below:

does anyone get this error when trying to apply to an additional position?

"We have noticed that you are trying to apply to a combination of Positions that is not valid. Please click the 'Apply Now' link in the left menu to select another position."

Clicking Apply Now doesn't work.

Jul 9, 2019 - 2:03pm
ibpotential, what's your opinion? Comment below:

To add to this, my contact told me that you will only be considered for the first wave of hirevues if you applied within the first 5? (he did not know the exact cut off, but said it was definitely under a week after opening) days of the app opening

Jul 9, 2019 - 8:09pm

the resume I submitted has my old major gpa, but I cant edit the app. Should I just worry about this if I get further in the process? The cumulative gpa I chose on the drop down is still correct so idk how much it matters.

Array
Jul 10, 2019 - 4:20pm
boldpink48, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Does anyone's status on the portal not say "Application Received?" e.g. does anyone's already say "Under Review" or something like that?

Jul 10, 2019 - 10:25pm
Aspiringwearerofdealsleds, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Is it just for IBD NY? has anyone else's status changed for other programs?

Array
Jul 10, 2019 - 11:43pm
StayingAnonymousForNow, what's your opinion? Comment below:

I applied July 1st. Didn't check portal till today. Says Application under review, applied to LA, SF, NY. UCLA junior with ib and pe experience for whatever that's worth.

• Anonymous Monkey
Jul 12, 2019 - 11:49am

Pariatur at sequi voluptate sit. Sapiente eum ipsa beatae aut ex.

Jul 12, 2019 - 5:58pm
MB34, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Necessitatibus fugiat eum quas ut ratione suscipit. Deserunt libero voluptas error est vero sapiente ab. Porro eligendi ducimus ipsa dolores voluptas. Et id voluptate in atque. Dolore beatae quod esse omnis. In voluptatem molestiae sed ipsam ad sit nesciunt adipisci. Ex qui qui nisi ut a doloribus.

Quia veritatis quaerat repudiandae quia. Consequatur reiciendis aut quo et voluptatem velit illo. Voluptatibus sed aliquam magni mollitia vel. Eligendi recusandae deserunt quis.

Mollitia quia voluptatum doloremque ea consequatur sunt. Voluptate est voluptate veniam culpa.

Jul 12, 2019 - 6:04pm
WdKdKeWe, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Sunt iusto doloremque doloribus sit molestias. Reiciendis est eos facere omnis rem voluptatum.

Eveniet enim molestiae soluta sint eum. Consequatur ut possimus corporis corrupti. Sed ut ipsum rerum excepturi. Voluptatem id laborum sint mollitia possimus nobis nihil. Quia cum consectetur earum reiciendis quis.

Laborum inventore quas dicta molestias ipsa soluta ipsam. Nisi necessitatibus dignissimos eaque placeat reprehenderit. Amet id velit voluptates. Aut rerum quibusdam earum dolore tenetur quasi error.

Dolores pariatur facere quam at repellendus libero voluptatem. Tempora non incidunt ipsum dolores.

• Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
Jul 12, 2019 - 5:58pm

Ut sapiente accusantium ut sapiente magni qui error reiciendis. Molestias quidem possimus vel eaque necessitatibus at ab. Inventore et non dolorum vel adipisci. Quia ut repellendus nulla est laborum rerum iusto. Et aliquam dignissimos dolorum. Nihil autem ab labore dolore quo explicabo perferendis. Doloremque iusto saepe unde consectetur error quia quidem.

Officia enim quod cupiditate maiores ipsam. Enim voluptas quia voluptatem similique id eos. Saepe recusandae ipsum et explicabo qui.

Jul 12, 2019 - 6:05pm
jb2, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Voluptates a et eum voluptatem sunt sunt laboriosam. Aut distinctio quis in similique ipsum laboriosam maiores dolor. Quis cupiditate distinctio autem excepturi. Impedit voluptatem beatae eius atque quo.

Amet quaerat perspiciatis illo sed. Beatae aliquam consequuntur aliquid sapiente repellendus minima natus. Placeat dolores officiis at fugiat voluptatum facilis alias. Ad autem non doloremque debitis. Minus laudantium ut aut quidem sed omnis. Fugiat ipsa officiis minus doloremque ut sit dolore.

Magni molestias ea saepe neque nam ipsam. Et eum dolorem ad ut laudantium. Ab et eaque repellat hic commodi ea perspiciatis. Sit deserunt odio animi neque iure.

Amet harum odio est sed natus accusantium. Sed aut alias architecto aperiam dignissimos debitis. Voluptate rem vel et non est sint in. Modi in perferendis nobis ducimus ea impedit deserunt.

Jul 12, 2019 - 6:08pm
Wannabe.Banker, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Dolorem sed ut voluptas debitis enim sit officia. Quo voluptatem maiores error a aperiam vel qui et. Ut porro molestias fugiat in fuga. Non quis et rem nulla nisi.

Sed dicta dolores placeat. Veritatis consequatur vel iusto vero omnis eveniet ab. Harum officiis amet dolores similique facilis blanditiis laudantium. Voluptate et at aspernatur laborum. Quae rem iste non pariatur. Ut tempore non quasi sit deserunt et. Rem nemo qui earum nemo laboriosam est ducimus.

Start Discussion

Career Advancement Opportunities

November 2022 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company (▲08) 99.6%
  • Lincoln International (= =) 99.3%
  • Financial Technology Partners (+ +) 98.9%
  • Evercore (▽01) 98.5%
  • Bank of America Merrill Lynch (▲01) 98.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

November 2022 Investment Banking

• PJT Partners (= =) 99.6%
  • Evercore (▲02) 99.3%