In investment banking interviews, it is common for interviewers to ask questions to test your critical / creative thinking skills under pressure. The OP shared some common questions asked by interviewers below.
investment banking brain teasers
- What is the largest possible number you can write using only 2 numbers - just 2 numbers, no other mathematical symbols?
- If, having only one match, on a freezing winter day, you entered a room which contained a lamp, a kerosene heater, and a wood burning stove, which should you light first.
- What belongs to you, but is mostly used by others?
- How many birth days does the average man have?
- Two planes take off at the same exact moment. They are flying across the Atlantic. One leaves New York and is flying to Paris at 500 miles per hour. The other leaves Paris and is flying to New York at only 450 miles per hour ( because of a strong head wind ). Which one will be closer to Paris when they meet?
- A 10 foot rope ladder whose rungs are one foot wide is hanging over the side of a boat. At this time there is only 1 foot of ladder under the water. It now begins to rain heavily, if it rains at the rate of 1 foot every two hours, how many hours will it take to cover half of the ladder?
As simple as these may sound, a lot of people struggle with these in investment banking interviews.
How to Answer Consulting Brainteasers
Brainteasers are common in both investment banking and consulting interviews. Check out a video below discussing how to answer consulting interview questions.
Throwback Thursday, this was originally posted almost 9 years ago! 4/13/08
Read More About Brainteasers on WSO
- What Brainteasers Has Everyone Been Asked In Interviews?
- Answering Brainteasers
- Prop Trading-Interview Brainteasers
Preparing for Investment Banking Interviews?
The WSO investment banking interview course is designed by countless professionals with real world experience, tailored to people aspiring to break into the industry. This guide will help you learn how to answer these questions and many, many more.