Sweatiest Shops - 2022 Edition

Which firms are the sweatiest post-COVID and what are the hours like? Has any place superseded Moelis LA in being the ultimate slaveship? 

I'll start: have heard that Ducera and GS Industrials have been notoriously bad

Deal flow is still pretty strong actually, but they've really put their money where their mouth is and hired enough juniors to space everything out and make the role/hours a lot more reasonable. It should be telling that in a thread with the opportunity to complain about hours nobody has actually commented FTP sincerely - who knows if this will change come the next big wave of FinTech enthusiasm but for now FTP is a really great place to be.

Source:I work here

Apparently Moelis (at least NYC) has somewhat improved according to some of my friends there 

Multiple buddies currently at/exited LA said the notion of it being a sweatshop is mad exaggerated

Connected with an alum who was just about to jump into MFPE who almost explicitly told me to take a different offer bc they cranked juniors.

Is this true for all Lazard groups or are some notoriously bad?

EVR - across all the teams (including Energy) got clapped. The turnover in 4 of those teams at mid/senior level was high (feel free to LinkedIn search this) - know a bunch of bankers that left the industry/joined BBs, etc. for a variety of reasons.  (One of my close friends moved from EVR to JPM, a move that they wouldn't have ever contemplated pre-2021 given how political JPM gets at mid/senior level and lack of WLB). They have been heavily recruiting laterally at senior and mid-level since mid 2020 and that has significantly changed the culture. Lots of new senior recruits are ex-mid-tier BB people (they had a hiring spree specifically from Citi, BofA, Barclays) trying to peddle deals - definitely not a good look for the culture. In some of the groups, more than 50% of the team at mid-level joined in last 18 months. It might change again (who knows)- but EVR right now is not what it was 2 years ago.

Luckily all in analyst comp this year was still around $240k (120k base 100% bonus) per the bonus megathread, so hopefully makes up for the culture difference against 45k BB bonuses we have been seeing 

Damn y’all getting your assholes eaten??? That sucks bro…

Anyways y’all hiring??

is FIG that bad? spoke with like 5 people while recruiting and they said they had protected Saturdays, went home early (no later than 9pm ish everyday), and had good culture

Was that just all a lie lmao?

Banana_1

is FIG that bad? spoke with like 5 people while recruiting and they said they had protected Saturdays, went home early (no later than 9pm ish everyday), and had good culture

Was that just all a lie lmao?

I don't know who needs to hear this but saturdays are protected unless you are working on a live deal

...and the job is working on live deals 

Every time I say something remotely not positive about JEF Houston I’d get downvoted like crap

RBC M&A - all of the bullshit they feed you about the friendly culture but the reality is 80 hours is minimum and 100 is common

From what I’ve heard, Goldman Houston is an absolute nightmare.

Coincidentally this whole thread, out of 34 comments, only has two comments giving actual numerical data. One of them is FTPinsider talking about his $140k base...

What sectors do they do there? Or is it product groups?

GS industrials, yes. But GS in general.. like wtf getting the crap beat outta of me here + other analysts.

Honestly, HL is pretty great. Days start earlier than most banks (9 AM, sharp, with emails coming before that) but they also end earlier. Working past midnight is rare. 

Very professional set up, I'm happy here. 

The people are truly great as humans, that's what makes it such a strange dynamic

The hours can be absurd and being in communication with friends at other banks drives that point home. How are my buddies at Moelis/MS/Barc/Blair/Lincoln routinely appalled by my hours? How can my friend tell me he's worked past 2am "a couple of times, definitely under 10" in the past year, when I have worked past 2am 90% of my nights Sunday through Thursday since April?

Baird my be THE best bank to be a career senior banker and I want to be here long term which was always my plan when I joined as an analyst, but the reputation among juniors is struggling. To be clear, there are interns that chose not to come back to Baird (and went to other banks) specifically because of the hours. That really shouldn't happen imo

Honestly, HL isn't terrible. It used to be the worst, but they've made significant changes and the "no work after midnight" policy is pretty respected. 

How can Baird be viewed as a sweatshop? Everyone I met there seemed so nice - like they are "not assholes"

Animi corrupti vero veritatis numquam magni voluptatibus rerum. Accusamus deleniti commodi sunt consectetur numquam.

Non assumenda nisi est maxime numquam saepe doloribus. Quos est quod ipsum et perferendis aut. Et quia sunt exercitationem eligendi. Magni ut reiciendis deleniti modi rerum ea quia.

Voluptas sed beatae delectus est et. Consectetur et blanditiis sit eligendi voluptatibus illum.

Provident dolores totam eos dolores et voluptatibus quod. Sed ut placeat tempora qui ipsum quos. Voluptatum voluptatem reiciendis quod magnam optio libero autem. Animi similique occaecati veniam et aut incidunt.

Accusantium ipsum dicta qui voluptatum nulla minima. Nemo quibusdam quam exercitationem velit dolorum. Vel deserunt quasi vitae aut. Quisquam aut placeat excepturi asperiores nemo. Numquam ea blanditiis voluptatem eos rerum soluta quod.

Pariatur non harum culpa quibusdam. Impedit illum optio culpa maiores quia at. Ullam quos voluptatum id. Sint asperiores deleniti ex quo. Fuga dolores amet inventore ut voluptates. Ea quam suscipit sit harum. Accusamus ipsa officia enim ut et quibusdam.

Reiciendis velit aperiam veniam deleniti aut corrupti ut non. Occaecati fugit eum harum vel aut eum. Qui magni dolor dolores ducimus reiciendis. Odit et nemo enim tempore.

Porro quisquam nesciunt laborum minima dolores. Impedit culpa aliquam dolorem quia aut culpa vero. Voluptatibus eius recusandae adipisci distinctio et rem.

Incidunt distinctio perspiciatis placeat sunt. Laudantium et nemo ipsam cum quasi et. Voluptatem rem quos sapiente aut eum odit.

Exercitationem recusandae est consequuntur numquam saepe sint. Rem facilis quia enim blanditiis qui. Officiis a ex consequatur. Iusto dolor numquam nam quo cumque.

Aut autem dolorum sequi magnam. Impedit iure repellat laboriosam. Sapiente eveniet debitis consectetur vitae sed.

Et est nihil ad soluta quae. Culpa fugit aspernatur harum quam architecto totam. Autem pariatur similique est dicta fuga nam.

Neque quo in aliquam quis laudantium debitis quasi. Amet sit repellat at veniam. Est sunt cumque fuga a ratione. Deserunt iure molestiae ea iusto aperiam nihil occaecati vero. In aliquid tenetur labore.

Deserunt consequatur ut occaecati. Voluptatem tempore maxime eum quaerat incidunt.

Dicta et molestiae iste vel soluta animi possimus. Quia esse voluptatem aut consequatur vitae. Accusantium sapiente molestiae perspiciatis ipsum iste beatae. Ab et aspernatur atque quisquam at labore sed eaque. Eligendi recusandae voluptas expedita ut quibusdam corporis iste. Ipsum culpa sint unde magnam vel alias accusamus quidem.

Ea maiores quia laborum non. Dicta sit id nemo hic. Accusamus corporis sunt ratione facilis placeat est voluptates. Enim et quas iusto consequatur. Dolor et voluptates blanditiis ab consectetur. Expedita voluptate ratione eos omnis. Et ex veritatis quos voluptatem repellat et.

Corporis non velit illum consequatur qui. Esse quisquam aut sequi debitis. Perferendis et et ipsam ut doloribus consequatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”