Hey everyone, feel like we haven't had a good ol' argument/friendly discussion in a while. What would you say is the current tier list of investment banks in 2016 based on overall brand strength? If you have real balls, rank them with no ties (1a, 1b).
Ranking the Bulge Bracket and Elite Boutique Banks
Before looking at any rankings, it is important to note that these are subjective and can change at any point based on the deal flow at a given bank. These can also vary by group. Below are rankings contributed by our users.
- Tier 1a: Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley
- Tier 1b: JP Morgan
- Tier 2a: Citi, Bank of America/Merrill Lynch, Credit Suisse, Barclays
- Tier 2b: Deutsche Bank
- Tier 3: UBS, Wells Fargo, Nomura, RBC, HSBC
Elite Boutique Investment Banking Rankings
- Tier 1a: PJT, Centerview, Evercore, Qatalyst
- Tier 1b: Lazard, Moelis, Perella Weinberg Partners
- Tier 2: Greenhill, Rothschild, Houlihan Lokey, Guggenheim, Macquarie, Harris Williams, Jefferies
- Tier 3: William Blair, Lincoln International, LionTree, Stifel, Oppenheimer, Peter J. Solomon, Robert Baird, Piper Jaffray
Bulge Bracket Banks Characterized by Sorority Sisters
User @LongIslandBound shared a humorous post:
- GS: Catty, rich girls. Lot of coke, hard pledge process. Only mix with Apollo/KKR
- MS: Smaller sisterhood feeding mostly from HYP. Rivals with GS and always try to outdo them in philanthropy
- JPM: Stuck up girls who think they're top but really just spread debt comps all day
- BAML: Super diverse, fun sisterhood. Merged with ML girls after they got kicked off campus but everyone still thinks they're just a retail sisterhood.
- Citi: Strong national organization but kind of weak at USA
- Barclays: Sceney international girls who used to party hard but got in trouble with their national organization
- CS: More international girls in trouble with nationals
- Deutsche: Nice girls but got in big trouble for their off balance sheet derivatives philanthropy. Currently on probation with the SEC board
- UBS: Considered the sisters who didn't get bids at any other BB houses. More of a wealth management sisterhood now.
Read More About Rankings on WSO
Read more about this topic on WSO.
Learn more about our users thoughts on the quality of the investment banks in the 2018 Wall Street Oasis Industry Report.
Decided to Pursue a Wall Street Career? Learn How to Network like a Master.
Inside the WSO Finance networking guide, you'll get a comprehensive, all-inclusive roadmap for maximizing your networking efforts (and minimizing embarrassing blunders). This info-rich book is packed with 71 pages of detailed strategies to help you get the most of your networking, including cold emailing templates, questions to ask in interviews, and action steps for success in navigating the Wall Street networking process.