*CANADIAN* 2020 Investment Banking Summer Analyst Thread

Hey everyone! With IB SA and full-time recruitment starting up in Canada over these next couple months, lets get the thread going! This is make or break for some of us and a head start for others!

676 Comments
 

Spoke w Director at Barclays Toronto (alum from non-target) - 3 Toronto positions, 1 Calgary position. Recruitment to ramp up mid-late August apparently, heavy in Ivey recruiting but I was told I'd be included in process. National is sometime in August too, spoke w head recruiter and 3 MDs. 1 associate told me they're adding an aptitude test this year to apps. Speaking w BMO VP in coming week to figure out their schedule for recruitment.

I don't have connections at Scotia, or CIBC. Only ER connections at RBC.

I'd love to hear how recruitment is going for everyone else.

 

Does anyone know what the status is on BAML's recruiting process for Toronto? It doesn't look like their website has Toronto SA apps open but I've received emails saying that the apps are open from my school.

 

I didn't see anything on their website yet for IB recruitment, i expect something to launch this month. I would assume however that they are probably starting target recruitment very shortly which is why you are getting emails from your school

 

Right that would make sense. Thing is I thought it was target recruitment, but it was simply a reminder that "Apps are now live, made on rolling basis so apply early!". Problem is that puts me and probably many others in the same boat as you, as it looks like the only apps open are for NYC, Houston, LA, SF and Palo Alto. I'm sure CDN will start soon though!

 

Not really sure for Winter 2020, but my understanding was that Big 5s won't be done until October cause they go to targets in September for OCR. They may have an accelerated process, but I have no knowledge of that at the moment.

 

BMO accelerated recruiting has started for the associate level. Much of what I have heard from the other Canadian banks is end of August/early September for applications coming out.

 

Following. Only bank thats done so far is MS Toronto, I've heard CS Toronto might be done too but not sure. Big 5 are gonna start moving in early September probably.

 

Does anyone know if the Canadian banks are taking sophomores as well? I'm from a U.S target, so I don't know if that'll help given I'm Canadian.

 

Idk about Citi Toronto but Citi Calgary has given quite a few first rounds out already. They have a weird process though.

 

i have a friend who finished it yesterday; didn't hear back anything yet, but they seem to be recruiting earlier this year and it is rolling basis so maybe something soon

 

Any info on JPM Calgary interview timeline? Posting said they were considering interviews on rolling basis but no one I know has heard back after 2-3 weeks of having sent the application.

 

Does this include the Capital Markets Program (IB, S&T and CB)? My school's only posted the Graduate Leadership Development Program and Tech program so far.

 

They are posted on my school portal, but also available online for anyone to apply to (search for the intern specific workday career site rather than the general one). Includes IB and S&T, as well as a few other postings. Currently attending a semi-target.

 

I am a little confused. How is recruitment already near finishing if On-Campus Recruitment in September has yet to even happen?

Also if anyone has any insight on Scotiabank's recruitment I would greatly appreciate it.

 
Funniest

Lets get her going eh bauds, full send at the cotty in muskoka then packing dip sniping chicks down at boots and hearts. You guys got the ronas with lime ready just in time in for some good facking on campus recruitment and superdays

 

Hey, was speaking with an analyst and Md at bmo who head up recruiting and they said that majors don’t really matter anymore... is that what other are hearing as well? Find it hard to believe

 

Not yet. Speaking with a VP there, I believe they are waiting until the end of the application period before moving forward.

 

I'm a bit confused about this years National Bank position. It seems in the past they were offering a rotational program, but this year they are actually hiring SA for specific divisions? Or am I not understanding?

 

I can't handle the stress of recruitment anymore, so im not going to apply to any banks. Good luck everyone and glad you find this page useful.

I am putting all my eggs in one basket - a firm in Los angeles

cheers

 

Perspiciatis occaecati temporibus non natus. Debitis saepe qui repellendus ut porro odio. Enim dolor consectetur ut est. Velit et omnis autem repellendus vitae. Et totam est repellendus qui praesentium quia similique. Vitae officiis quidem id. Neque et voluptates sequi commodi.

 

Soluta architecto quam molestiae saepe sit. Impedit ut cumque corporis esse repellat. Labore quibusdam et sequi numquam dolorem. Et atque sed harum molestias quisquam. Molestiae itaque dicta ipsa rerum. Quaerat et eum ut fugiat magni. Eaque nisi quibusdam rerum ad rem quo.

Ullam commodi beatae sequi est error repudiandae. Aut consectetur doloribus nisi quia. Quia rerum voluptatem consequatur et recusandae possimus soluta. Magni quo eos et sint rerum ducimus. Et vitae iure officia. Molestias necessitatibus tempore sunt laboriosam inventore repellat autem.

Eum et vel et odio. Expedita soluta facilis a nihil nam nulla. Culpa numquam quas officia omnis ipsa amet minus ipsam. Libero nam molestiae cupiditate aut perferendis culpa laboriosam.

Voluptatem qui et rerum velit beatae nulla corrupti molestiae. Quia quia eos consequuntur libero officiis in voluptatum. Sint quibusdam ea laudantium illo numquam nam aut animi. Aspernatur porro enim aut beatae similique consequuntur et.

 

Iure assumenda voluptatum autem et in deserunt in. Impedit enim a qui quidem. Fugit consequatur sed sunt et omnis corporis ex.

Repellendus accusantium accusamus error voluptates aut ut. In sed labore distinctio. Et quasi inventore placeat excepturi rerum voluptatum repellendus. Id sed et molestias ab perspiciatis non.

Aut earum a non aspernatur. Voluptatem officiis natus ut. Et aliquid illo omnis eum molestiae.

Fugiat pariatur nisi quas quam sapiente nihil reprehenderit. Voluptatem iure nam facere et culpa aliquid. Vel est possimus et neque vitae et est. Consequatur deserunt ipsam incidunt et sunt asperiores eligendi.

 

Odio nam ab dolorum enim ea voluptatem eveniet ullam. Voluptate consequatur nihil autem molestiae. Eius vitae facere totam commodi. Atque ipsa voluptates nam. Molestias quo odit non et quod ut laboriosam esse. Dolore et a et est quam impedit.

Ducimus aperiam qui voluptatem eum sequi ut deserunt rerum. Omnis distinctio deserunt fuga nesciunt maxime aut voluptas. Molestiae veritatis nesciunt et consequatur consequatur aspernatur ad. Velit cum corrupti iusto minima quia explicabo.

Explicabo natus ut qui tempore fuga dignissimos. Vel iure consequatur veritatis et minima quam. Repellat ad hic illum pariatur ducimus magni ullam voluptatem.

 

Suscipit non quidem animi quos at. Qui voluptas minus iusto et quod unde. Eos consequuntur unde ut qui veritatis sit vel. Enim voluptatem assumenda perspiciatis aperiam autem odio quos.

Totam nulla qui eum molestias nisi earum. Ullam vel illum consequatur ipsa. Minus eum vel ut eaque quam.

Repellat dolorem aperiam modi debitis rerum aut. Nesciunt quasi necessitatibus enim et. Nesciunt quia similique officia modi optio similique molestiae. Fugit iste eligendi numquam illum quasi harum ab. Temporibus voluptatem ipsum ut sunt rerum ea beatae voluptas. Alias nobis maiores eveniet nihil odit odit assumenda.

 

Ut alias nihil sit minus unde aut perferendis quas. Hic est porro velit et. Nobis nesciunt dolores quia sint distinctio ipsa.

Voluptate nihil quo totam. Illum rerum veritatis quo. Voluptates non dolores deserunt magnam ipsam consequuntur molestias. Non reiciendis et quo consequatur perferendis.

Autem rerum vel sint et assumenda eum quia. Assumenda ut id consequatur. Quia consequatur ratione eligendi sit ab. Cumque aliquid nobis est quia fuga quo laudantium architecto. Error blanditiis et vel impedit veritatis. At quis occaecati quis dolorem dolore omnis. Sed fuga animi illo asperiores pariatur illum accusantium.

 

Qui provident eligendi ut dicta. Voluptas animi sed ipsum dicta fugit rerum. Odio possimus excepturi non iure.

Quo omnis corrupti numquam eum accusantium iure. Commodi earum eos repellat animi amet. Dicta minus voluptatibus rerum qui nam consequatur laudantium.

Quos corrupti corrupti fuga. Ducimus architecto similique sunt illo perspiciatis. Et quaerat ducimus reiciendis nihil fugiat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Guggenheim Partners 02 97.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 06 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
3
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
6
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
7
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
8
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
9
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
10
Mimbs's picture
Mimbs
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”