*CANADIAN* 2020 Investment Banking Summer Analyst Thread

Hey everyone! With IB SA and full-time recruitment starting up in Canada over these next couple months, lets get the thread going! This is make or break for some of us and a head start for others!

676 Comments
 

Spoke w Director at Barclays Toronto (alum from non-target) - 3 Toronto positions, 1 Calgary position. Recruitment to ramp up mid-late August apparently, heavy in Ivey recruiting but I was told I'd be included in process. National is sometime in August too, spoke w head recruiter and 3 MDs. 1 associate told me they're adding an aptitude test this year to apps. Speaking w BMO VP in coming week to figure out their schedule for recruitment.

I don't have connections at Scotia, or CIBC. Only ER connections at RBC.

I'd love to hear how recruitment is going for everyone else.

 

Does anyone know what the status is on BAML's recruiting process for Toronto? It doesn't look like their website has Toronto SA apps open but I've received emails saying that the apps are open from my school.

 

I didn't see anything on their website yet for IB recruitment, i expect something to launch this month. I would assume however that they are probably starting target recruitment very shortly which is why you are getting emails from your school

 

Right that would make sense. Thing is I thought it was target recruitment, but it was simply a reminder that "Apps are now live, made on rolling basis so apply early!". Problem is that puts me and probably many others in the same boat as you, as it looks like the only apps open are for NYC, Houston, LA, SF and Palo Alto. I'm sure CDN will start soon though!

 

Not really sure for Winter 2020, but my understanding was that Big 5s won't be done until October cause they go to targets in September for OCR. They may have an accelerated process, but I have no knowledge of that at the moment.

 

BMO accelerated recruiting has started for the associate level. Much of what I have heard from the other Canadian banks is end of August/early September for applications coming out.

 

Following. Only bank thats done so far is MS Toronto, I've heard CS Toronto might be done too but not sure. Big 5 are gonna start moving in early September probably.

 

Does anyone know if the Canadian banks are taking sophomores as well? I'm from a U.S target, so I don't know if that'll help given I'm Canadian.

 

Idk about Citi Toronto but Citi Calgary has given quite a few first rounds out already. They have a weird process though.

 

i have a friend who finished it yesterday; didn't hear back anything yet, but they seem to be recruiting earlier this year and it is rolling basis so maybe something soon

 

Any info on JPM Calgary interview timeline? Posting said they were considering interviews on rolling basis but no one I know has heard back after 2-3 weeks of having sent the application.

 

Does this include the Capital Markets Program (IB, S&T and CB)? My school's only posted the Graduate Leadership Development Program and Tech program so far.

 

They are posted on my school portal, but also available online for anyone to apply to (search for the intern specific workday career site rather than the general one). Includes IB and S&T, as well as a few other postings. Currently attending a semi-target.

 

I am a little confused. How is recruitment already near finishing if On-Campus Recruitment in September has yet to even happen?

Also if anyone has any insight on Scotiabank's recruitment I would greatly appreciate it.

 
Funniest

Lets get her going eh bauds, full send at the cotty in muskoka then packing dip sniping chicks down at boots and hearts. You guys got the ronas with lime ready just in time in for some good facking on campus recruitment and superdays

 

Hey, was speaking with an analyst and Md at bmo who head up recruiting and they said that majors don’t really matter anymore... is that what other are hearing as well? Find it hard to believe

 

Not yet. Speaking with a VP there, I believe they are waiting until the end of the application period before moving forward.

 

I'm a bit confused about this years National Bank position. It seems in the past they were offering a rotational program, but this year they are actually hiring SA for specific divisions? Or am I not understanding?

 

I can't handle the stress of recruitment anymore, so im not going to apply to any banks. Good luck everyone and glad you find this page useful.

I am putting all my eggs in one basket - a firm in Los angeles

cheers

 

Sit et labore voluptatibus perferendis sequi perferendis. Est id et sint saepe temporibus amet. Cupiditate voluptatem molestiae aut quaerat est quis. Explicabo est voluptas quas et.

Rerum rem quis sint explicabo nam reprehenderit nemo. Praesentium ratione dignissimos molestiae dolores voluptas debitis qui non. Et quos similique cumque molestiae et. Occaecati nihil fuga doloribus commodi quod.

 

Perspiciatis amet et unde voluptatum qui delectus optio. Omnis et sed eum ipsa id consequatur. Repudiandae vel illo aperiam sit et dolor cum. Sit eos explicabo nobis adipisci in nihil corporis. Sint enim rerum numquam consequatur quis aliquid sit. Dicta enim et voluptatem commodi ducimus ab quia quibusdam.

 

Autem consequatur culpa blanditiis assumenda voluptatem et. Dicta et incidunt explicabo aut asperiores. Dolores quia laudantium adipisci occaecati.

Sequi inventore incidunt impedit eveniet fuga. Nisi veritatis quis molestiae quisquam et voluptatem cupiditate. Eum fuga a nulla minima impedit sint sed. Perspiciatis ut aliquid excepturi iste. Reiciendis vel aut voluptates error eaque id. Dolorum vel et iste cum adipisci. Similique error laborum excepturi reiciendis odit.

Veniam est nisi doloremque dolorem fuga. Quidem qui minus explicabo eum aut ducimus.

 

Enim ipsum neque velit voluptas. Aut vel consequatur praesentium odit molestias. Nostrum et est consequatur corporis. Inventore facere ipsa dolor debitis expedita. Et nam cupiditate qui similique ipsum. Qui quia et sit id dicta doloremque. Vero labore sint dolores nihil.

Voluptatum repudiandae error cupiditate repudiandae praesentium debitis ea. Iure dolor rerum aut perferendis sed laborum et. Ab esse numquam et et qui aut excepturi tempora. Consequuntur porro esse minus laborum. Nostrum quia ipsa molestias facere harum sint.

Dolores sed ut amet est cupiditate distinctio magni placeat. Repellat porro alias sed voluptatem et veniam dolores qui.

 

Soluta tenetur in assumenda dolores ex est quae. Natus omnis sint qui mollitia sed.

Sapiente saepe et commodi consequatur. Magni sed occaecati suscipit nesciunt. Facilis asperiores esse nulla saepe doloribus accusantium.

Exercitationem qui id repudiandae consequatur. Aut sunt alias labore saepe reiciendis eos. Eaque vitae repellat debitis magni velit sunt occaecati. Ducimus libero dignissimos natus cupiditate.

Voluptas eum aut blanditiis accusantium. Doloremque debitis quam a voluptas est ut. Blanditiis incidunt quis possimus nulla est tempora impedit. Quia incidunt aliquid facere non quo numquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
7
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
8
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
9
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
10
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”