MTS Health Partners SA 2021

I didn't see a forum for this so I figured I would start one.

Anyone apply to this firm or know what's going on regarding their 2021 SA timeline? Also, if anyone has any updated information on the firm in general - culture, deal flow, exit opps - that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and good luck homies!

Hi Sleemix Roger, no, I never sleep and so I can respond to any lonely threads (like this one) at all hours of the night. Impressive, I know ;-)

Fingers crossed that one of those helps you.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Most Helpful

current summer associate at MTS. happy to answer any questions in a pm.

culture is awesome, everyone seems to really like each other and does things outside of work on a regular basis (pre covid and still). three divisions - services, life sciences, and royalties. people are making an effort to make the remote internship feel personal and everyone is enjoying it. regular engagement activities too

deal flow is super solid. all Interns are on live deals, including summer analysts. life sciences is always active and is popping off right now.

know that working here is only healthcare, so you have to be ok with that before starting. pay is street. exit ops are more untraditional from my understanding because it’s only healthcare. great reputation within healthcare industry so you can lateral to any role within healthcare. heard of people going to business development roles at biotech companies, healthcare PE and hedge funds, and top banks. only thing to note that they are largely restricted to healthcare so make sure you want to do it before starting

Hey, i’m curious to know who MTS competes with to win deals. Are there other similar healthcare specialized boutiques? Or are you guys competing with bb/eb healthcare teams?

I just want to get a better understanding of the firm’s reputation- I think this is a good proxy for that. Thanks!

There are a few healthcare boutiques, but MTS does not really compete with them. MTS has a very strong reputation within the healthcare industry. What’s cool about MTS is that they are very relationship focused, so will do virtually any deal no matter the size. This has helped them land some $3.0 bn+ deals with companies that started off doing $10 million deals (check their website, you will see they do deals of all sizes). I’ll tell you what they told us on our first day - there will always be companies that automatically work with Goldman because they want to work with Goldman (they make up their minds before even considering other options), and no boutique can compete with that. However, if you could see the deals being worked on you’d see how first in class it really is

Competition is BB/EB healthcare groups, but MTS is very science focused and employs many PhDs. People at MTS talk the talk because it’s what they have studied for years, and this helps win a lot of deals. That’s not to say everyone has a healthcare background by any means but by the time you are one year in you will understand a lot more about the healthcare industry than the other EB and BB groups do .

MTS is truly an EB, it just does not have the same overall reputation because of its exclusive focus

No dumb questions!! Last year 1 of the 3 winters got full time offers. However, MTS does not do the x spots for x-2 offers kind of thing. Once you get an offer it’s yours to lose.

I believe it’s more of an MBA kind of thing but could be wrong. Will find out more and get back to you

The interview details on the WSO company page of the website were pretty spot on. I would know the typical stuff - such as the classic depreciation question, how the statements are linked, FCF, and how to calculate EBITDA and calculating enterprise value. In terms of the healthcare questions, look into POS (probability of success), peak sales and the impact this has on a model (ie - XYZ equity research forecasts $100 mm in peak sales. They also predict a 50% POS, so we would model $50 mm. I would also look into some recent MTS deals and genera healthcare deals. Also have a solid answer for why healthcare, because that will he asked at every stage.... i would say 50% of my interview was behavioral (culture fit). MTS has a great culture but not everyone is a fit. Show you have a work hard and play hard kind of attitude. Hope this helps

MTS is like if Cain Bros had a baby with Cowen and made a niche middle market pharma / services HC bank. Some of the senior ppl + advisors have good connections. My general read of their deals are more NFP / sub scale businesses where BB/EB don’t spend time on. Don’t pull up some one offs - they have some senior advisors like Ditkoff with lot of connections

how was the first round interview? how much focus on biotech technicals

Just got the official rejection from doing the waitlist interviews :(

I have heard they wrapped up all their 2021 SA recruiting and the class is full so if you haven't heard back yet I would definitely reach out to HR first thing tomorrow morning

Occaecati qui sunt eius earum aliquid cumque. Doloremque eum doloribus perferendis quisquam. Quo dolores aliquam libero pariatur. Ut dolorum inventore harum sequi vel. Nam rem nihil est nisi. Enim debitis amet dignissimos non atque. Dolores quia soluta natus velit quasi debitis.

Consectetur ad vero laboriosam et consequatur. Sunt excepturi ut dolorem doloremque. Sunt ea in dolor quo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”