Goldman Sachs Investment Banking Summer Analyst Hirevue Overview

Who else got this? Let's discuss.

I know there was a giant thread on this last year, but does anyone have experience with Goldman Sachs Hirevue questions for this recruiting session?

Please add your interview contributions in this shared google sheet for 2018 IB SA recruiting: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19fBzOhbCBWz13mg5V1wA8TL8_1ewPP_…

Goldman Sachs HireVue Video Interview

In recent years, all applicants have been asked to participate in HireVue Video Interviews after applying to a program (internships, full time, and pre-internship programs). Users have said that they usually hear back after recording their interview between a 1 week to a month later to schedule second round or superday interviews. The status of their candidacy can be accessed on the applicant portal.

The interview includes 3-5 questions with 30 seconds to prepare a response, and up to 2 minutes to answer. HireVue stops recording as soon as 2 minutes are up. There is an opportunity to practice this video format in the HireVue tutorial you will see prior to starting your interview. It is recommended to practice preparing and recording videos prior to your interview- HireVue offers unlimited practice trials.

The HireVue Video interview can be inclusive of all the divisions you applied to, but the questions will be catered to one division. One way to find out which division you are interviewing with is to check "reply-to" recipient in that email. Then Linkedin that person to find which division he/she is recruiting for.

What Questions Does GS Ask In First Round Interview?

Users have typically been given behavioral questions, and occasionally technical questions depending on the division they applied for.

• Why GS?
  • Why this division?
  • What does this division do and how does it fit into the firm?
  • Tell us about a time that you had to work in a team.
  • How does your experience and background apply to this division?
  • Tell us about a project you're proud of.
  • Tell me about a time when someone wasn't pulling their weight.
  • Tell me about a time when you were faced with a confrontation.

Why Should I Work at GS?

Below is an example answer for "why do you want to work at GS?"

I first became interested in GS when attending an informational session at XYZ school. There I spoke with several alumni from the Goldman Sachs IB Group. After connecting with members of the firm at that event, I was connected to speak to more alumni from the firm who spoke extensively about the beneficial nature of the 3 analyst mobility program and the internal modeling in the IBD group. Recently, I had the chance to come visit the FIG floor and speak with multiple bankers throughout the day. After that experience, I knew that I wanted to work at GS due to the very collegial nature of the firm in addition to the unique program structure.

Tips for Video Interviews with Goldman Sachs

• Ensure your webcam and microphone work
  • Practice answering general behavioral questions concisely in front of a webcam, and prepare yourself mentally for questions you may not expect
  • Review your resume for experiences and skills you want to highlight
  • Be dressed in business professional from the waist up, and conduct your HireVue interview in a quiet, well- lit room with minimal background distractions

As digitial interviews increase in popularity - review guides to the J.P. Morgan, Barclays, BlackRock video interviews.

Also, check out uncommon tips for nailing digital interviews.

Read More About Goldman Sachs on WSO

Preparing for Investment Banking Interviews?

The WSO investment banking interview course is designed by countless professionals with real world experience, tailored to people aspiring to break into the industry. This guide will help you learn how to answer these questions and many, many more.

Investment Banking Interview Course Here

Same. Does everyone/most people get a HireVue? I know progressing from HIrevue stage to superday can be tricky, but wondering what the pipeline looks like at this stage.

I networked with a VP level person who said he will flag my profile and "guarantee" me a hirevue when I apply. I have not yet started my applications as recruitment at my target begins in September. Can anyone advise if I should just apply asap, get the hirevue and run with it or wait till September and talk about it with the on campus recruitment team?

You ALWAYS submit an application as soon as possible. IB recruiting is rolling admission. It's not like applying to college.

IDK how relevant this is but. I applied for IMD and MBD on July 18th. Got the hirevue invite this morning at 4 am. But I applied for fulltime, so that might be different. Didn't do any networking, but I did get a hirevue last year when I applied for SA. (3.5 recent grad from semi-target / non-target depends on who you talk to) Also, curious to know the timeline to hear back from this.

Yep I feel like I'm getting punk'd. I reached out to my contact in HCM asking what divisions my interview was for since my portal didnt change. She said that the HIrevue invites went out by accident and that I would receive my invite at the right time. Apparently we're going to get a communication about it (we were supposed to get something yesterday but I never got anything)

Applied on the 21st of July.

Rising sophomore from a target school, doing an internship at an elite boutique my freshman year and have final rounds interviews at 2 BB for the summer of 2018. Still no invite for HireValue interview.

I'm pretty confused because the email says "You may ignore this e-mail. This was a technical error and is not related to your recent invitation to attend a Goldman Sachs superday interview in August." I didn't get any information about a superday even though I'm an accelerated candidate... Not sure what this means.

If this was an error, why haven't they followed up with an email explaining the mistake?

Did hirevue ibd interviews today. Cant say much about the interview itself, but the hirevue submissions do get reviewed. HR always contacts a semi-senior analyst to review the submissions. Interview wasnt difficult, best advice I can give probably is go through your resume and projects and look at them critically. Ask yourself: How did I do, how did others do, teamwork related assessing, eye for detail etc. Gl everyone!

Oh I really don't like questions like that. "Tell me a time when you had to pay attention to detail." So vague.

I don't know if much has changed since last Summer but I completed a hirevue interview last year and got invited to a super day with the Securities division. If I remember correctly I was asked 5-6 questions. The questions ranged from "Describe a time when you have exceeded expectations while you were working with a team" to "Imagine you were working with a deal team. Describe how you would contribute to creating Synergy between the parties involved". Again, this was a year ago so I don't remember the exact questions but generally they were situational. Nothing technical was asked. There is no real way to prep for these as I have heard the questions tend to be randomized and range form simple behavioral to slightly technical.

Hope this helps

Carl Van Loon Van Loon & Associates

Yes the hirevue interview was a bit tricky. Rather than the questions being extremely difficult, I found myself stressing more over the short time they gave me to answer each question.

As to the superday, the organization of the event was pretty standard in the sense that you cycled through 6 different interview rooms with 2 interviewers in each room. Since this was Sec., the interviewers were vice presidents from Index options trading, derivatives sales, prime services, and other markets related divisions. Questions began as standard "walk me through your resume" questions and quickly began to increase in difficulty and specificity as they were catered to my responses and resume. Overall questions became fairly technical as interviewers started asking me about technical skills and projects I had listed on my resume.

It is important to note that before each interview began, the interviewers would remind me that they were measuring my ability to communicate an idea, my level of overall knowledge of the markets, and most importantly, my tenacity.

And I forgot to add that my hirevue invitation went to my spam folder so I had to contact an obscure applicant help department to reactivate my invitation. I was on the phone with several people in HR throughout this process and took the time to network while the problem was being resolved hahaha. I go to a non target and have a GPA below 3.5

No, no diversity recruitment although I am South American and grew up in South America. I went through the regular online application for Sec Summer Analyst. I am studying at a US college

I know of people that heard back little over a month and some that heard back within a few days. I think it all depends on how busy the hr/analysts screening the interviews are and also if you are a backup for superday or not. At one BB superday, I met a candidate that was called for the superday the day before and had to fly over 8 hrs overnight to make it.

So, i was jw if these hirevues are office specific? Will I have to redo one for the other offices I applied to? I applied to San Fran office also and I have no idea if they have also gotten back to people.

Is the "2018 | Americas | New York City Area | IBD | Summer Analyst" position a general application to investment banking? Or is there a separate position for financing (i.e. if you are interested in Lev Fin)?

I have never heard about anyone receiving an HirVue so early even in the past years... did someone applying for IBD and MBD (London) already received an Hire Vue?

Ok thanks... I was worried about the fact that valuations was plural and analysis was singular. Do you think this is grammattical incorrect? What's about the HireVue? Did you get one? Speaking about London...

Ok thanks... I was worried about the fact that valuations was plural and analysis was singular. Do you think this is grammattical incorrect? What's about the HireVue? Did you get one? Speaking about London...

At molestiae quis eius velit molestiae. Necessitatibus quo architecto ex.

Maiores et aut labore tempore excepturi. Omnis natus iusto consectetur corrupti voluptas at.

Modi quia qui pariatur repellendus non necessitatibus. Possimus a vel hic ut aperiam non qui neque. Et voluptatem dolor sed ipsam ducimus aut dicta. Modi quisquam doloribus cum neque.

Commodi repudiandae est hic itaque animi hic minima qui. Harum dolor similique aut quia. Et repellendus itaque qui aut. Omnis reprehenderit qui veritatis autem. Aperiam aut qui magni labore rerum exercitationem. Corrupti aut vitae quia labore repellat aut molestias. Fugiat voluptas ut consectetur cupiditate sed.

Perferendis nesciunt earum tempora beatae. Qui hic repudiandae quidem rem id. Tenetur pariatur temporibus quam voluptatem id consequatur eveniet.

Quisquam perferendis impedit quo totam modi. Quis doloribus tenetur sed qui itaque nisi. Molestiae quis et eos sint. Beatae et nihil et facilis blanditiis quae vero. Accusamus assumenda consequatur facilis voluptates sequi architecto. Occaecati eveniet maiores delectus perferendis.

Nihil ea vel ea rerum. Numquam iure et consectetur commodi sit commodi consectetur non. Sequi laboriosam ex dolor sit dolore sit.

Sed similique totam optio natus dolor deserunt. Est libero nulla tempore voluptates veniam dignissimos. Temporibus eum et quaerat quam.

Tempora nam iure aut voluptatem sapiente officia dolor. In illum saepe reiciendis repellat excepturi sequi.

Earum distinctio non consectetur fuga quas. Rerum accusantium enim modi suscipit. Alias ut numquam minus fugit debitis voluptates ea. Eveniet a iste beatae. Quidem eveniet qui mollitia est eius. Molestiae nesciunt ut cumque ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (85) $262
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (65) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (198) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (143) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”