HK IBD SA 2011 Thread

Hi, I decided to start this thread as I see there's one from previous years and it seems useful for most applicants.

So I'll start with mine:
DB - pending
Citi - pending
Nomura - pending
BAML - pending, completed online tests
UBS - pending, completed online tests
HSBC - pending, completed online tests
GS - pending
MS - pending
Barcap - pending, completed online tests
CS - pending, completed online tests
Macquarie - pending
JPM - pending
RBS - pending

is it essential to apply as early as possible for banks which says rolling basis?

I really don have time to apply now for those with due dates on 12/31 until winter break.. if i apply right before deadline am i totally screwed?

^

Nowadays, oral fluency is essentially a must, and reading is prolly more important than writing. You won't be drafting memos in Chinese - however, you will need to proofread what the translation team gives you, and you will need to be able to read reports, 10ks. in Chinese.

if BBs don't do OCR at your school (in the U.S.) for HK positions, do you just have to apply online?

do they read online apps, or is it a blackhole just like applying online in the U.S.? Any insight would be appreciated; i'm fluent in Chinese and definitely interested in HK, but am not really sure how to apply.

@hkstudent

sorry about the rejection. anyone else hearing any news? it looks like most of the deadlines are passing in just a few days. i've got almost everything in, but haven't heard about interviews yet.

Analyst Training Program applications close for students studying at schools in Hong Kong, Mainland China, US, Canada and the UK -december

i saw this on db site.. if deadline for hk is 12/31, does it mean that for us students is also 12/31?

not to be a dick, but i think you're wasting your time trying to figure out when the deadline is--it really can't hurt to just submit the application now. plus, as i understand it, the earlier you submit the better anyways. an application submitted 5 minutes before the deadline is going to look worse than one submitted 5 days before the deadline. just something to think about.

moosturdsoed:
not to be a dick, but i think you're wasting your time trying to figure out when the deadline is--it really can't hurt to just submit the application now. plus, as i understand it, the earlier you submit the better anyways. an application submitted 5 minutes before the deadline is going to look worse than one submitted 5 days before the deadline. just something to think about.

i did just tat and i still got called up for interview. Better late than never though.

the only thing reading this thread did to me was building up my nerves lol.

i didnt get UBS cuz i failed the test lol, and didnt get macquire either.

still waiting on all the other banks. hopefully can get a few interviews.

gl with everyone else who is waiting and those who got first founds!

no. I don't mean I get all the invitations I mentioned above. I am not looking into IBD. more like S&T.

1superday2011:
--> Rosemary,

r u from target too?

Holy trinity?

I mean I know all these including but not limited to my friends and my own personal experience.

Rosemary23:
no. I don't mean I get all the invitations I mentioned above. I am not looking into IBD. more like S&T.
1superday2011:
--> Rosemary,

r u from target too?

Holy trinity?

For DB, this is what mine says:

Track Application

This page shows the progress of your application.

Interview Process

Test

You have successfully completed our online test. Your results have been submitted for review and you will be contacted shortly.

Does this mean I should get notified for an interview pretty soon? Also, do some of the banks that have already started giving out first rounds (UBS, JPM, etc.) not send out rejection letters? Thanks and good luck everybody

btw, has anybody else had trouble viewing the status of their MS applications? I have the confirmation emails but when I go back to the site and log in, it doesn't even give me a record of submitting the applications. The only thing I can view is the job cart (which is empty).

Just to double-check: this is all for the investment banking divisions, right? And different divisions are usually on slightly different schedules so it's not necessarily the case that the S&T division would send out first-round invites at the same time as IB?

Did you get email from them? I checked my app and the status has become "invited for interview", but i haven't received their email for interview invitation/schedule..

anyone in the same situation?

yyannx:
yeah, gs is out

Thank you for taking the time to complete the online tests. Your application is under review and we will let you know the status of your application shortly.

this is for barcap. Does it mean I passed the cut-off for the test?

daniel2042:
does GS send everything out at once? I applied to positions in HK and singapore and both are still "under review"
No, I am pretty sure they don't... one of my two friends got his e-mail yesterday in the morning and another got his late at night... Not sure if they're done or will keep sending more out today though...

caveat_emptor:
Are most of you guys fluent in Cantonese or Mandarin? Only got the JPM S&T first round interview--not sure if it's cause I am not fluent or if Asia is super competitive.

nope, only chinese i know are basically all cantonese.mandarin swear words i dont speak chinese at all, and got JPM interview as you did

I think some of them (GS, MS) sent out invites in batches... For BAML, I saw many simultaneous postings when I got mine too... I got my JPM s&t last thursday, saw many others got wednesday and they said they will interview candidates from 16th to 22nd... in random tiime so i guess JPM sent out all invites..

accountspayable:
is MS interviews complete? When I applied, it was really weird because I got a confirmation email but my account didn't have any jobs in the cart

that happened with me too. JPM and MS are two websites that doesnt feature "track your application" feature.

gs ibd - 1st round interview ms ibd - 1st round interview: one done, another to go jpm ibd - 1st round interview ubs: ???? nomura equities - offer

has anyone heard from ubs yet?

how are your interviews?

staticx_45:
I'd be interested in getting together a group of people who end up working in HK. I'm working on a trading desk there in May and June of next summer. Send me a message if you're interested in networking. I don't know anyone there, and I don't speak Mandarin.

wow, you got a fast offer, how did u do that?

kazuyamishima:
staticx_45:
I'd be interested in getting together a group of people who end up working in HK. I'm working on a trading desk there in May and June of next summer. Send me a message if you're interested in networking. I don't know anyone there, and I don't speak Mandarin.

wow, you got a fast offer, how did u do that?

Private firm.

eclecticist:
if we are invited to superdays in hk, do we buy airline tickets ourselves, and if so will we be compensated afterwards? basically does anyone know how the general process works?

depends on where you go to school. where you go to school? If you go to UK or US university, you wont fly to HK for final interview. NY or London office will hold superday/accessment center for the final interviews for HK for barcap, i know one friend who went to superday in NY and had video conference with HK office people and got an offer.. other firms are basically all similar with phone interviews + superday interviews at nearest head office.

accountspayable:
heard back for GS final round
did you already finish two first-round interviews? i just got the second email and my interview has not even started. (one is tomorrow and another is next week.)

Interviews should've been all scheduled from what I hear. I'm not interested in HK myself but my roommate is, and lots of her friends are applying as well. She's been hearing from a bunch of them, and it seems like most BBs have already done first rounds. Macquarie has already notified second rounds, and Goldman should reply by Jan. 10th. This is for IBD.

I applied to Goldman NYC but clicked HK as second location preference and I've already had first round phone interviews with them last week. I'm in S&T, and they said I'd hear back mid-January as well.

Hope that helps.

I don't accept sacrifices and I don't make them. ... If ever the pleasure of one has to be bought by the pain of the other, there better be no trade at all. A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud.

lolsunshine:
Oldmonkey70:
Just wonder if anybody has heard from Credit Suisse HK office after the Round 1 interviews?

Anyone heard back from them?

I did my Round 1 interviews with their research department in mid December. Haven't heard back from them.

HKstudent kindly confirmed earlier that some applicants did hear back from them. Not sure what divisions though...

fresh45:
andyxia99:
i interviewed with barcap hk. 2 phone interviews, very technical

i just finished my second one!! when did u interview with them? did u hear back yet?

Last week, one of the guys told me that we are gonna hear back sometime next week

kazuyamishima:
did anyone hear from Citi, UBS and Nomura S&T??? I Know they all began process for IBD... but I have not heard from them, none of my friends neither.... Im not really sure that Im already rejected.. or this overall process is getting delayed for S&T divisions..

I guess I can only speak for IBD, Citi was out a week ago I think, I heard UBS too. Not sure about Nomura, since their deadline is jan 10th

andyxia99:
kazuyamishima:
did anyone hear from Citi, UBS and Nomura S&T??? I Know they all began process for IBD... but I have not heard from them, none of my friends neither.... Im not really sure that Im already rejected.. or this overall process is getting delayed for S&T divisions..

I guess I can only speak for IBD, Citi was out a week ago I think, I heard UBS too. Not sure about Nomura, since their deadline is jan 10th

Did u get both citi and ubs?

locospocous:
i applied to MS IBD and BX advisory.

has anyone from a US target school heard back about MS ibd superday? thanks!

They do superdays for different schools? I think they are supposed to let us know sometime this week, but i haven't heard anything yet.

Also, anyone heard back from JPM, BAML, Barcap superdays?

yah just heard back from gs ibd second round, barcap final, hsbc final, and citi ibd second round. do you know if barcap will provide for travel expenses? they didn't mention it in the email. also, is it worth it to fly to hk for hsbc if they provide for airfare?

Recusandae nesciunt id occaecati ut sunt consequatur velit. Nam qui ea tempore error repellat. Hic eum maiores vero ratione laboriosam. Commodi facere voluptas ratione optio eius nulla sed. Nobis facilis pariatur amet aut ea at.

Est error eos nam labore. Enim quos et dicta assumenda doloremque. Sunt voluptatem vero sapiente ea laborum architecto. Esse debitis voluptatem eum facere aut porro ut.

Repudiandae eum aperiam aut et consequatur cupiditate. Enim veniam dolores eveniet. Ipsa eligendi dolorem aliquam aspernatur. Quo ut omnis repellat ut. Aliquam aliquid impedit rerum culpa.

Dignissimos laborum recusandae laborum nemo. Mollitia harum nostrum sed. Esse qui repudiandae hic modi consectetur aut et. Similique maxime amet aut vel velit. Ipsum architecto inventore facere eos quo.

Neque quia sapiente velit dolores voluptatum incidunt nihil eum. Vero ducimus est inventore ea.

Veniam aliquid qui at qui minus ad ea. Itaque atque exercitationem sit aspernatur. Tempora cum voluptatum rem hic ipsa corrupti. Praesentium aut ea adipisci molestiae et nihil in. Aliquid molestiae nisi doloribus porro non. Quod non aspernatur aliquam dicta nisi incidunt suscipit. Nemo natus id magni facilis delectus natus.

Molestiae doloribus autem corrupti quas. Culpa quia ea odit sit totam sunt sunt. Odit officia doloribus numquam.

Ut tenetur ipsum esse in. Tempore corrupti mollitia sint qui et aut libero. Quod exercitationem ut sit voluptas.

Nostrum qui nemo eos eius voluptatibus soluta. Eaque voluptas expedita officiis. Repellendus asperiores commodi laboriosam doloribus ab aliquid adipisci quo. Dolorem excepturi eum earum itaque in est. Voluptatem repellendus consequatur ut sit.

Rerum voluptatum itaque aut ad. Iusto nostrum sapiente accusamus qui voluptatem assumenda. Molestias vel odit corrupti expedita consectetur ad qui.

Ut porro dolorem eveniet qui quo atque. Explicabo impedit praesentium commodi omnis. Rerum corporis et et distinctio delectus velit.

Beatae iure odit eum sed. Blanditiis consequatur ratione dolores dolor in. Fugit id repellat quasi est. Sunt rerum natus dicta quo.

Enim incidunt quas sed harum. Id incidunt nulla distinctio culpa. Reiciendis est numquam iste voluptate fugiat. Consequatur nisi expedita et voluptatem illo voluptatem. Vitae iure magni iusto repellat corporis laudantium. Corrupti facilis voluptatem qui delectus repellendus vel.

Sed similique aspernatur et aliquam repellendus dignissimos dolores. Ipsum qui voluptas cum earum animi deleniti enim consequatur. Pariatur molestiae est tempora similique ad expedita ut. Ratione omnis exercitationem blanditiis qui non molestiae culpa.

Ab atque sunt aut voluptatem. Ut numquam ipsa ut cum commodi eum. Sit ut dolore omnis qui.

Porro sapiente cumque a sapiente deleniti est dolore. Non est magni rerum sit et. Excepturi dicta voluptatem cupiditate provident quo aut odio. Vel error fuga nulla odio. Amet reiciendis quibusdam occaecati omnis. Ipsa quos dolorum sit est dicta sint quos unde.

Distinctio odit impedit unde optio laborum. Consectetur distinctio in dicta est occaecati perspiciatis temporibus. Non quam saepe veniam esse similique non hic.

Sit aspernatur aliquam nostrum ut cum. Quos aliquid in aut voluptatem sit et. Quia in doloribus placeat dolorum. Eos exercitationem asperiores qui placeat sapiente voluptatem. Itaque tenetur at perferendis autem est optio. Quaerat quod quos fugiat et ipsam sunt sit voluptate.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”