Abraaj Capital - Global Anlayst Program - 2017 Intake

Hey Guys!

With regard to the above captioned subject, I'm looking to get in touch with candidates who have applied for Abraaj's GAP for the 2017 intake. In this regard, I'd be grateful if people can apprise about the status of their application process. Also, all those who are familiar with the said firm and its recruitment procedure, your guidance on the following would be highly appreciated:

• Does Abraaj notify even if they decide not to proceed with your application?
  • Typically how long does the recruitment process take?
  • What are the typical profiles that make the cut?
  • How many interviews are conducted?
  • How are the interviews typically structured?
  • Are the interviews highly technical or is it more about knowing the firm and PE industry in general.

Your prompt assistance and guidance in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jazib!

Hey Jack,

Hope you are doing well and many thanks for your response. The acknowledgement e-mail I got from their end stated that the screening/interview process would start end of April. Anyways, just to be sure, you applied to the GAP only or some other vacancy? Also, do you know anyone who applied for GAP and received the interview invite?

Lastly, if I'm not asking for too much, can you kindly shed some light on what all was the case study about?

Thanks a lot mate!

Does Abraaj notify even if they decide not to proceed with your application? NO
Typically how long does the recruitment process take? 1-2 months
What are the typical profiles that make the cut? Previous experience in M&amp;A or <abbr title="private equity">PE</abbr> and good university
How many interviews are conducted? 4-5
How are the interviews typically structured? Technical and fit interviews
Are the interviews highly technical or is it more about knowing the firm and <abbr title="private equity">PE</abbr> industry in general. Not super technical, they are smilar

Hey man,

Hope you are doing well! Just wanted to humbly follow up if you have received the interview invite yet? Also, do you have any idea if the interview process has already started or when is it expected to start.

Your assistance in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, Jazib!

Had my 1st round interview last week, have not heard back since then.

Covered mostly personal questions (interviewer was well prepared and has read the CV carefully) and views on what the firms does, the markets where it is invested and some investment ideas on where (region) and in what (sector) I would invest. One question was about a past deal of Abraaj I should name and tell what I know about it.

Technical part were the typical questions on what valuation methods exist and how they are differ from each other in terms of the resulting value. A bit more difficult was to name how the 3 financial statements flow together, but could still be answered with some solid knowledge.

All in all it was a very positive interview where you talk most of the time about your views and own thinking rather than repeating the standard technical part about the DCF, WACC and EV bridge for the 100st time like in a normal ib interview.

I also had my first interview last week. Very different from yours. Mine was relatively technical I was asked only one personal question. The rest were questions regarding debt structure, LBO, EV.....

The interviewer was nice and knowledgeable. I was just surprised that I didn't not get asked more personal, CV related questions. Also my interview just lasted 30 minutes. It seemed very short.

Helvetica:
Had my 1st round interview last week, have not heard back since then.

Covered mostly personal questions (interviewer was well prepared and has read the CV carefully) and views on what the firms does, the markets where it is invested and some investment ideas on where (region) and in what (sector) I would invest. One question was about a past deal of Abraaj I should name and tell what I know about it.

Technical part were the typical questions on what valuation methods exist and how they are differ from each other in terms of the resulting value. A bit more difficult was to name how the 3 financial statements flow together, but could still be answered with some solid knowledge.

All in all it was a very positive interview where you talk most of the time about your views and own thinking rather than repeating the standard technical part about the DCF, WACC and EV bridge for the 100st time like in a normal ib interview.

Hey, have you heard back yet?

I know a few guys who used to work here -- my take is that this program generally hires people with at least a year or so of experience (if I look on linkedin most seem to have anywhere from 1.5-3 years prior to joining, and most with a masters). I think pay would be competitive with a bank / PE fund in the region, though I guess it depends what office of theirs you join, and I'm not sure how the pay varies across offices.

I received an update from HR regarding a second interview that will take place in June. After reading online, it seems like their interview process takes months!

I hope this won't be the case for us this year!

Had my second interview last week. First interview lasted about an hour, not too many technical questions. Second interview lasted about 30 minutes, predominantly technical questions.

I have heard (from Abraaj analysts and HR) contradictory indications on the amount of rounds for the recruitment process (from 3 to 5 rounds). Does anyone else have an idea on this, and how the rounds after the second round are structured (i.e. telephone/skype/inperson - case study/no case study etc.)?

My take is that in addition to the recruitment process having changed over the last two years, people interpret "rounds of recruitment" differently. For example; if you have two phone call interviews, and one Skype interview consisting of a case study with an associate and a behavioral interview with senior management, this might be defined as three rounds (2x phone + 1x skype) or 5 rounds (1x CV screening, 2x phone call, 1x case study, 1x talk with senior management).

Also, my feeling is that the the decision making responsibility doesn't lie with the person you last spoke with. The second interview I had felt as if there was a predefined list of questions to go through (i.e. no follow up questions based on my answers). So I suppose through each round all factors are considered (i.e. CV and background, and performance across all interviews).

Not yet. What about you?

The interviewer told me it would take HR approximately 14 days to get back to me. So I should hear something next week. It took them one week to get back to me after the first round interview.

You will be based in Dubai, however you are likely to work in multiple offices and it really depends on the specific demands. For example, if extra capacity is required in Singapore, then that is where you will move. So there is no fixed amount of rotations. Furthermore, it is often argued that the GAP will take your across different functional teams (deal teams, investor relations, portfolio management), but from what I've heard you will spend most of your time in deal teams.

Update: Just got off the phone with a friend who has insight into the recruitment process. All applicants who have had their second round interview should receive an answer by the end of this week (both invites to further rounds and rejections).

Many thanks for your input. Some questions:

1) Did they give you any indication on how many round there would be? 2) Considering you have been told chances are you'd start with a rotation in Lagos, does that mean you don't have to participate in the GAP training?

Because I have seen some Abraaj analysts on LinkedIn who started in January with only having 3-6 months of total internship experience, I wonder whether they allow analysts to start off-cycle.

Tee_Dogg:
Hi all,

Applied for the GAP in February and had two round interviews in April and May. First round interview was largely behavioural whilst the second was technical covering Accounting, DCF and LBO centred questions. Both interviews lasted 30 minutes each.

Emailed HR asking for a timeline on when to hear back and she said it's likely to be within the next 2 weeks. I live in Lagos, Nigeria and was told chances are I'd have/start with a rotation here

Hi, I am interested in African PE (I am in the industry too) can I send you a PM ?

NYC00:
I emailed HR to ask about next steps. This is what I understood: - There are two more rounds of interviews left (third and fourth) - We are going to hear back by the end of this month regarding the third interview, by mid to late July regarding the fourth interview - Interviews are mostly going to be conducted via phone or Skype - Final decision will be made by September (three weeks training starts mid October)

Any additional insights you guys have would be helpful.

Thanks for this- can I ask which HR did you get this info from, i.e. which region please?

Anyone else received an invite for the superday?

I received an invite for a phone interview. I'm not sure if they are being consistent with how they do these interviews? Or could it be because I'm in another location?

Not yet. Yet I find it hard to believe that only one applicant out of all people from WSO who had a 2nd round will make it to the third. Hence I suppose HR is just taking their sweet time at sending some invites.

Probably true. I think those who haven't heard back have been majestically f*cked by HR.

But I understand, in those climates sending a single email in bulk requires 5 minutes of heavy physical exercise with your hands and some ultramodern devices (I think they are called keyboards and mouses) which significantly increases the required calorie intake in order to stay alive. This, in turn, might simultaneously implode and explode the food sector in that region. Want to know what this will result in? Some bad shit, majestic f*ckery of a lot more people than some GAP applicants. Armageddon.

Some of last years analyst have non profit, political science and engineering background. You'll be fine.

For those who are shortlisted, did you hear back? It's Thursday already!

Hey guys, when you call Nida, do you reach her on the mobile number provided or the telephone number provided which I assume is an office phone.

The latest post on Glassdoor is for 31st July 2017, I am guessing that decision was sent to the candidate after the third round. I think they are conducting more fourth rounds this week and will roll out the decision in a week or two. Any idea how many analysts they are taking?

Praesentium dolor odio nemo natus similique similique dignissimos. Eum exercitationem impedit eum eveniet. Ut ab velit atque. Error iure quod sit magnam. Animi cumque dolor ab qui ipsam.

Hic est sapiente voluptatem enim. Quas sed et et voluptatem deleniti ut sunt voluptate. Explicabo tenetur expedita consequuntur vero autem.

Aut consequatur voluptas est velit. Occaecati magnam adipisci maiores. Ipsam aut veritatis dolor.

Ut deserunt et enim et quia ut sint consequatur. Voluptatem cum consequatur iste voluptates aut. Dignissimos illo quis aut ut eum ratione velit. Non quasi sunt recusandae consequatur quia laboriosam non.

Vel similique aut rerum autem odio ipsa. Facere enim optio consequatur accusamus tenetur adipisci. Quidem aut aut eum soluta est molestiae ut tempora. Et veritatis sunt nam sit molestiae necessitatibus autem. At asperiores rerum eligendi fugiat corporis explicabo.

Dolor ullam quia libero commodi nihil repellendus similique. Quibusdam molestiae nostrum alias hic excepturi sit non.

Sed sed quos aut. Voluptates dolor aperiam aut sint nesciunt.

Nihil laudantium labore tenetur vel temporibus. Quisquam fugit inventore pariatur nulla ea assumenda.

Earum similique asperiores sed incidunt. Libero neque quisquam rem ea velit expedita impedit qui. Harum dignissimos aperiam error. Quis rem et labore. Reprehenderit totam fugit tempora ut dolore commodi corporis eveniet. Tenetur assumenda laboriosam suscipit temporibus nostrum deserunt vitae odit. Consectetur nobis quo eos ut unde autem.

Id distinctio laudantium quo temporibus dolorum magnam. Laborum voluptates voluptatem voluptatibus et.

Beatae quis quo et. Repellendus nisi et ut voluptatem ea. Labore ducimus at optio nobis minima qui et. Doloremque quis sed sit inventore officiis nesciunt in.

Incidunt ut placeat exercitationem aspernatur nisi delectus quod. Veritatis ut repellendus voluptate rem sit animi tempore illum. Cupiditate dicta laborum aut. Fugiat recusandae quo laboriosam numquam accusamus. Maiores laudantium voluptates id animi vel possimus delectus.

Quisquam explicabo qui quasi necessitatibus. Pariatur velit pariatur eaque. Dicta eveniet quis laborum omnis. Nihil deserunt accusamus asperiores. Provident sed corrupti ad fugiat magnam consequatur molestias fugit. Excepturi neque ut blanditiis omnis exercitationem. Itaque eveniet maxime quas aliquam illum quia.

Hic deleniti tempore qui dolorem facilis cum et adipisci. Aut exercitationem architecto voluptas quasi ab consequatur.

Aut eveniet nisi perferendis odit. Laboriosam et dolores cum dolorem. Commodi architecto error qui ipsum.

Explicabo ipsa similique autem unde hic aliquid at. Molestiae sint et blanditiis non est minima aliquid. Molestias ut rerum non et nesciunt. Ipsam voluptas eaque adipisci est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Warburg Pincus 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (21) $586
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (89) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (204) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (386) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (28) $157
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (313) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”