Curious about the most difficult technical questions people have been asked. please provide answers (preferably correct) if possible.
What are Technical Interview Questions?
Technical questions typically follow after behavioral and fit interview questions such as: why this firm, describe an example of teamwork, etc. While technical questions may vary depending on which position you are applying for, the WSO community has come together to compile a list of some of the more challenging technical questions. Some of these questions may follow cookie cutter example to derive an equation, or to questions that evaluate your thought process.
List of Tough Interview Questions
Please not that this is not an all-inclusive list as some firms will question different aspects of finance, accounting, the markets, etc. This is just to provide some examples.
- What is the difference between EBIT and EBITDA?
- Derive the black scholes equation
- What is a common evaluation that investment bankers/M&A use?
- How would you hedge X example?
- How would you invest a clients money?
- What is the difference between a forward and future option?
Some more mentally challenging questions are:
- How many gold balls fit in a Boeing 747?
- If you take 7 steps forward and 3 steps backwards, how many steps have you taken?
- Would you rather be rich or famous?
- Why is a manhole round?
If you have any other challenging questions that you've either heard or experienced in an interview, please comment below!
Preparing for Investment Banking Interviews?
The WSO investment banking interview course is designed by countless professionals with real world experience, tailored to people aspiring to break into the industry. This guide will help you learn how to answer these questions and many, many more.
Investment Banking Interview Course
- 7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. Crowdsourced from over 500,000 members.
- Technical, behavioral, networking, case videos, templates. All included.
- Most comprehensive IB interview course in the world.