I managed to secure a 30 min phone interview with HR and a 1 hour personal interview for an IB internship position with UBS. Pretty psyched. It's a CFO Investment Bank internship so basically I'd be with the Finance team of the IB division.
I've already had an HR phone interview a year ago with UBS so I know what to expect, it's pretty basic and formal: give me your strengths/weaknesses, one big achievement, a tough situation that you managed to get out of, where do you see yourself in 5 years, ... pretty normal stuff that I can prepare for.
But I'm worried about the 1 hour interview with the IB guys. There are gonna be 2 dudes. Thing is I'm not really aware of the details and all of what the Finance team does. Now I know they're responsible of the reporting, forecasting, planning, regulation and controlling processes but what do you guys think I should look up to give me the best chance at landing this?
I have 2 days to get ready. I wrote a seminar paper on the Basel III accords so that might have a positive impact ; I know about the regulations (equity ratios, liquidity requirements, equity buffers, etc...) and how banks have to adapt to the new rules.
This is how UBS describes the position:
* Ensuring the accuracy and integrity of the revenues generated by the assigned front-office trading desks
* Providing transparency and explanation of the Desk's financials to both Finance management and to other key stakeholders
* Ensuring the balance sheet and risk management systems accurately reflect risks involved in the various CFO-IB business/trading areas
* Controlling that the general ledger properly reflects the Profit & Loss and the Valuations of the various products held/traded by your Investment Bank traders
* Providing value-added commentary to Management for Business Planning and Analysis
* Analysing significant market and position factors/trends that are contributing to your Business Area results
So many things going on here, don't know what to start with...
By the way, this would be my first experience. Not a positive thing but the fact that they kept me to go through with the next step is a good sign, means they like my profile. I just have to go balls deep here.
Thanks guys. Really appreciate it.