Banks Sponsoring International Students - 2023 SA

The 2022 version of this helped me a lot when recruiting, so now that I finished recruitment I thought it'd be a great time to update the list a little bit. I decided to group them by do they sponsor AND do they have a preference for US citizens/green card holders, for those two aspects matter more than bank specs to me. Also, please use this as a reference as a lot of banks do think about sponsorships on a case-by-case basis, and different offices (locality, FO vs MO/BO etc.) make a huge difference. I'm target and diversity for the record, so please feel free to add your experience.

Definitely sponsor (international status almost does not lower your offer rate): GS, CS, DB, Mizuho, Nomura

Sponsor (would happy to sponsor if needed, but offer rate affected): JPM*, EVR, PJT, Jefferies

Limited (usually have quotas or very biased, need to work very hard to stand out): MS, Citi (mostly NY groups), BofA, Moelis, WB, RBC

Very limited (have only seen a handful of target diversity kids): Lazard (mostly NY groups), Centerview, HL, BNPP, PWP, most Citi regional offices

Does not sponsor: Barclays, UBS, Greenhill, Guggenheim, WF, Rothchild, most EB regional offices, most MMs and Boutiques

Some of the "banks that sponsor" mentioned in the previous version but haven't been verified this year (I personally didn't recruit and my friends didn't either): CIBC, Cowen, Oppenheimer, TD Securities, Scotiabank, Rabobank, SocGenNatixis

*JPM reopened their sponsorship in the 2023 cycle.

H1B is non-immigration sponsorship, which is different from what they stated (immigration). Hopefully that answers you question. Regarding Jefferies, I'll edit and move them to the top bucket. Thank you so much!

That MS wasn't me (there's some nutjob who MSs every sponsorship thread)- also I agree that H1B is a non-immigrant visa but nevertheless, JPM said they won't file H1B. This is what the website says:

"To be eligible for this program, you must be authorized to work in the U.S. We do not offer any type of employment-based immigration sponsorship for this program. Likewise, JPMorgan Chase & Co., will not provide any assistance or sign any documentation in support of any other form of immigration sponsorship or benefit except for the extension of optional practical training (OPT)."

They say except for OPT, which means that they consider OPT to fall under that immigration sponsorship too. Think about it man - international IB analysts only need the H1B sponsorship - why would they even mention this if it was meant for any other sponsorship. 

I have multiple friends told me they were told that BofA does not sponsor but they were "good enough to make it," hence its current spot. I do agree that BofA sponsors a lot of internationals though!

Im from Italy and I applied to GS IBD NY. However, I talked with an italian VP at GS Houston and he told me that, generally, GS sponsors international students that already have a visa: for instance, he had done an MBA at NYU and during that year he applied to GS NY. So, generally, american Investment banks do not sponsor overseas students. Instead, they should have either double citizenship, student visa in US or start working in Europe and waiting for internal mobility opportunities.

Just came out of recruiting cycle. Want to add some value here:

- Jefferies should be in the first category. I recruited for Jefferies Houston and they were open for sponsorship.

- BofA should also be in the first category.

- Citi Houston does sponsor, but they get like 2 international students out of 12 that they recruit.

- Evercore Houston does sponsor. 

Most Helpful

International student here who just finished recruiting, couple things I would change 

- BofA is very international friendly, would place it in 1st or 2nd category
- Barclays is iffy, during my phone screen I told him that I had STEM OPT and hence didn't require sponsorship right out of the undergrad and they seemed to take it, I moved along in the process (this was for Menlo Park, the guy I spoke to was an international student in the past as well)
- Greenhill and Rothschild 100% sponsor but not sure which category they will fall under, I got offers from both (Greenhill SF, Roths LA)
- Qatalyst and Harris Willaims straight up told me they don't sponsor and are super strict about it, didn't manage to get into the process despite 3 good chats with Q
- William Blair SF 100% sponsors as well 

I know how challenging it can be recruiting as an international non diversity candidate so happy to help, just shoot me a DM. Eventually secured an offer with an EB (CVP/EVR/MOE) and am heading there. Good luck everyone! 

edit: non diversity, semi target 

Thank you for all the helpful information, your answer was the best of them all. May you DM me, I am an international diversity, and I could really use your help.

Hi! Know it's been around an year since your comment but I just came across it - rising sophomore at a target, non-div and international. I would really appreciate if you could DM me, could really use some advice/guidance. Thank you so much.

Hi! I read about your reply to the post about banks that do sponsor international students, and I have a couple questions I would love to ask. I'm a rising intl soph, not really diversity (female east Asian) candidate at a target. I was curious about any tips you have about finding a position for sophomore summer (rising junior)? Thank you! 

Not true at all, GS CS DB haven't even come close to wrapping up. 

Hey OP, thanks for the post! This was very useful. I would love to hear your thoughts regarding the H1B process. Could u DM me if u dont mind (ur profile is priv)

Would bump BNPP up to tier 1 as well, topic came up during a couple of my chats and they were really supportive about H1Bs and sponsorship

Int'l here too. Undergraduate Senior. Could you share some of your contact info, please? I am still looking into some available spots. Currently haven't received any msgs yet. Highly interested in Jefferies, Nomura, and UBS. Down for a private chat! 

To the mf who just ms everyone in this thread. You could sück my balls you no SA/return offer xenophobic loser

No you would because what this post refers to with sponsorship is banks willing to sponsor students after their OPT period is over (1 or 3 years), which is only possible if you study in the US. Obviously, there is a chance you can still be accepted, especially if you're not going for y1 analyst roles but still difficult 

JP Morgan does not sponsor H1b period. source: 1. Handshake explicit says no. 2. Applied myself and got rejected instantly 3. Recruiter in our school said you could apply but basically you have zero chance with Ibd if you are not a green card holder

Seem to see conflicting information so just want to provide a different voice, could be wrong.

1. JPM has changed its stance a few times so the information from job boards might be dated
  1. Have heard of peers’ instant rejection, but myself has gone thru superday, so not completely sure if it’s visa specific rejection
  1. The best source of information will probably be a updated response from the recruiting team

Praesentium vitae est ipsam quibusdam suscipit. Delectus quod omnis nemo delectus excepturi nihil et. Corporis optio est rerum perferendis possimus. Officia iusto voluptatibus vel error. Ab dolorum culpa sint laboriosam ullam fugit rerum.

Eos commodi pariatur dicta qui. Quia cum sit illum qui maxime in aut. Ea dolorem consequatur repudiandae. Necessitatibus ut ullam corporis enim officiis aliquid facere error.

Ut qui accusantium sunt consequuntur perspiciatis et ipsum. Voluptatem ut ea dolorem autem. Non illum debitis voluptatem accusantium et necessitatibus expedita quos. Consequatur aut qui quod eligendi.

Delectus aliquid possimus soluta animi. Accusamus non culpa dolor exercitationem. Qui ullam et consequatur voluptates voluptatem saepe ut. Nihil quaerat et quaerat qui quasi soluta et. Et aspernatur eius sint recusandae.

Magni ut ullam atque rerum et. Quos cumque libero natus consequatur dolore ut. Rerum atque natus laboriosam esse facere.

Ea voluptatibus dolor quae alias voluptas autem. Aut nisi non maxime et. Delectus et non earum earum aut voluptatum ut.

Accusamus quia vitae vel eligendi porro quod. Dignissimos fugiat pariatur ea voluptas. Eveniet libero ut omnis saepe. Quia aspernatur est veniam. In similique a laudantium hic quis dolores doloribus.

Non consequatur nesciunt sint odio ea. Corrupti optio pariatur quia rem nisi. Sequi possimus eos vero tenetur. Est iste ut velit iure. Eos laudantium sapiente molestiae.

Assumenda harum est nisi sequi. Deleniti culpa ab consequatur saepe et.

Nesciunt occaecati accusamus reprehenderit excepturi voluptatem voluptas eum officiis. Sequi ex quo ipsam libero minima quia. Nesciunt ab quidem unde sapiente voluptatem. Voluptatem quisquam nam illum qui repellendus rerum accusamus. Nobis quas aspernatur maxime voluptas et iusto voluptatem. Laboriosam qui qui animi voluptatem vero. Ut corrupti sapiente rem id repudiandae perspiciatis modi laboriosam.

Accusamus aut quae et voluptatum rerum maiores. Ad eos earum neque enim ipsam rerum.

Aliquam fugit qui numquam quos maxime. Corrupti ut omnis magnam commodi sit dignissimos optio. Accusantium quis sit est perferendis sit pariatur.

Veniam dolorem molestias itaque eos sed cupiditate impedit. Reprehenderit ullam vero quia. Delectus fugiat quisquam tempore ipsam sit eligendi. Impedit deleniti minus impedit quia. Quasi ex sit odit sint rerum sunt.

Natus facere rerum magnam in at suscipit consequuntur officiis. Sed velit voluptatem ullam. Sed ea voluptatum velit unde qui numquam. Nisi distinctio consectetur rem quo. Consequatur sed qui adipisci tenetur eum adipisci. Eum necessitatibus quia modi cupiditate similique vitae.

Non sit dicta sunt earum necessitatibus necessitatibus officiis. Explicabo repudiandae quam rerum laudantium nemo. Quo quibusdam explicabo sunt et reprehenderit quod alias. Facilis et et voluptates.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”