Banks Sponsoring International Students - 2023 SA

The 2022 version of this helped me a lot when recruiting, so now that I finished recruitment I thought it'd be a great time to update the list a little bit. I decided to group them by do they sponsor AND do they have a preference for US citizens/green card holders, for those two aspects matter more than bank specs to me. Also, please use this as a reference as a lot of banks do think about sponsorships on a case-by-case basis, and different offices (locality, FO vs MO/BO etc.) make a huge difference. I'm target and diversity for the record, so please feel free to add your experience.

Definitely sponsor (international status almost does not lower your offer rate): GS, CS, DB, Mizuho, Nomura

Sponsor (would happy to sponsor if needed, but offer rate affected): JPM*, EVR, PJT, Jefferies

Limited (usually have quotas or very biased, need to work very hard to stand out): MS, Citi (mostly NY groups), BofA, Moelis, WB, RBC

Very limited (have only seen a handful of target diversity kids): Lazard (mostly NY groups), Centerview, HL, BNPP, PWP, most Citi regional offices

Does not sponsor: Barclays, UBS, Greenhill, Guggenheim, WF, Rothchild, most EB regional offices, most MMs and Boutiques

Some of the "banks that sponsor" mentioned in the previous version but haven't been verified this year (I personally didn't recruit and my friends didn't either): CIBC, Cowen, Oppenheimer, TD Securities, Scotiabank, Rabobank, SocGenNatixis

*JPM reopened their sponsorship in the 2023 cycle.

Comments (54)

• Intern in IB - Cov
Apr 13, 2022 - 1:51pm

H1B is non-immigration sponsorship, which is different from what they stated (immigration). Hopefully that answers you question. Regarding Jefferies, I'll edit and move them to the top bucket. Thank you so much!

• Incoming Analyst in IB-M&A
Apr 13, 2022 - 2:46pm

That MS wasn't me (there's some nutjob who MSs every sponsorship thread)- also I agree that H1B is a non-immigrant visa but nevertheless, JPM said they won't file H1B. This is what the website says:

"To be eligible for this program, you must be authorized to work in the U.S. We do not offer any type of employment-based immigration sponsorship for this program. Likewise, JPMorgan Chase & Co., will not provide any assistance or sign any documentation in support of any other form of immigration sponsorship or benefit except for the extension of optional practical training (OPT)."

They say except for OPT, which means that they consider OPT to fall under that immigration sponsorship too. Think about it man - international IB analysts only need the H1B sponsorship - why would they even mention this if it was meant for any other sponsorship. 

• Intern in IB - Cov
Apr 13, 2022 - 3:00pm

I have multiple friends told me they were told that BofA does not sponsor but they were "good enough to make it," hence its current spot. I do agree that BofA sponsors a lot of internationals though!

Apr 15, 2022 - 12:22pm
skr1267, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Im from Italy and I applied to GS IBD NY. However, I talked with an italian VP at GS Houston and he told me that, generally, GS sponsors international students that already have a visa: for instance, he had done an MBA at NYU and during that year he applied to GS NY. So, generally, american Investment banks do not sponsor overseas students. Instead, they should have either double citizenship, student visa in US or start working in Europe and waiting for internal mobility opportunities.

• Intern in IB - Gen
Apr 24, 2022 - 10:25am

By "sponsor", this thread refers to international students studying in the US with an OPT work visa. No one sponsors internationals outside of the US

• Intern in HF - EquityHedge
Apr 15, 2022 - 5:00pm

Just came out of recruiting cycle. Want to add some value here:

- Jefferies should be in the first category. I recruited for Jefferies Houston and they were open for sponsorship.

- BofA should also be in the first category.

- Citi Houston does sponsor, but they get like 2 international students out of 12 that they recruit.

- Evercore Houston does sponsor. 

Most Helpful
  • Intern in VC
Apr 23, 2022 - 9:26pm

International student here who just finished recruiting, couple things I would change 

- BofA is very international friendly, would place it in 1st or 2nd category
- Barclays is iffy, during my phone screen I told him that I had STEM OPT and hence didn't require sponsorship right out of the undergrad and they seemed to take it, I moved along in the process (this was for Menlo Park, the guy I spoke to was an international student in the past as well)
- Greenhill and Rothschild 100% sponsor but not sure which category they will fall under, I got offers from both (Greenhill SF, Roths LA)
- Qatalyst and Harris Willaims straight up told me they don't sponsor and are super strict about it, didn't manage to get into the process despite 3 good chats with Q
- William Blair SF 100% sponsors as well 

I know how challenging it can be recruiting as an international non diversity candidate so happy to help, just shoot me a DM. Eventually secured an offer with an EB (CVP/EVR/MOE) and am heading there. Good luck everyone! 

edit: non diversity, semi target 

Apr 24, 2022 - 4:41pm
HFsimp45, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Hey man, international non diversity as well. Would love to chat, can you please DM me? (Your profile is anonymous). 

Apr 26, 2022 - 4:36am
ToniKroos39, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Definitely relatable as a fellow international non diversity at a semi target. Could you DM me as well?

May 16, 2022 - 10:02am
chairmanleague, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Hey man. As an international student, I would love to hear your thoughts and experience. Could you please DM me if you dont mind

Jul 26, 2022 - 7:38pm
dkgi225, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Thank you for all the helpful information, your answer was the best of them all. May you DM me, I am an international diversity, and I could really use your help.

Apr 27, 2022 - 4:50pm
perignon_rack, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Hey Man, 

Can you DM me as well? Going through the same. Any clue which of these would still be worth a shot considering almost all sponsoring BBs are wrapping up their process. 

May 2, 2022 - 5:21am
Kouhwaii, what's your opinion? Comment below:

did DB even start lol

edit: oh app is open, wouldn't show up on the website but is accessible through a google search weird enough

May 16, 2022 - 10:04am
chairmanleague, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Hey OP, thanks for the post! This was very useful. I would love to hear your thoughts regarding the H1B process. Could u DM me if u dont mind (ur profile is priv)

• Intern in IB - Cov
May 25, 2022 - 12:06pm

Would bump BNPP up to tier 1 as well, topic came up during a couple of my chats and they were really supportive about H1Bs and sponsorship

May 25, 2022 - 2:33pm
excellente, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Int'l here. Recently finished recruiting. Nomura, DB, Jefferies, UBS, CS all sponsor and I'm pretty sure they still have some spots left. I literally got msgs from some of the their career portals to ask me to do hirevue or online testing today for next rounds of interviews

May 26, 2022 - 5:23am
ToniKroos39, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Hey man, mind if I DM you? Also I thought UBS doesn't sponsor as many people got auto dinged

Jun 4, 2022 - 12:31am
Peiheng-Wu, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Int'l here too. Undergraduate Senior. Could you share some of your contact info, please? I am still looking into some available spots. Currently haven't received any msgs yet. Highly interested in Jefferies, Nomura, and UBS. Down for a private chat! 

• Intern in IB - Cov
Jun 20, 2022 - 10:44am

JP Morgan does not sponsor H1b period. source: 1. Handshake explicit says no. 2. Applied myself and got rejected instantly 3. Recruiter in our school said you could apply but basically you have zero chance with Ibd if you are not a green card holder

Jun 20, 2022 - 9:41pm
SpaceWalker, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Nulla eius laboriosam facere nisi. Optio quo consectetur nesciunt adipisci delectus sit voluptatum. Voluptas et corporis perferendis quia et sit soluta.

Commodi eveniet repellendus architecto et eum nisi a. Odit quis beatae ipsum debitis laboriosam fugiat.

Asperiores voluptate numquam dicta. Sint impedit eaque dolorem qui. Et reiciendis dignissimos temporibus commodi. Atque asperiores laborum sed enim.

Amet nulla nihil qui repellendus perspiciatis et. Magni consectetur ut ea provident ut qui. Voluptatem aut fuga nihil officiis quidem id.

Jun 20, 2022 - 9:30pm
frylzfcy, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Esse nihil at ab praesentium praesentium. Nobis sit repudiandae rerum magnam. Aliquam tempora ipsa autem et qui.

Iure consequuntur enim quis debitis et. Repellat ut velit ut dolores est. Autem velit sapiente ut nihil. Est eveniet consequatur et odio libero. Animi aliquid blanditiis molestias tempora id labore. Error ut velit ut distinctio.

Architecto velit nihil nobis deserunt eum. Laboriosam tempora aut laudantium ipsum velit. Accusantium quibusdam sit non sed ad. Delectus est delectus temporibus quia.

Voluptate soluta accusamus molestias quidem. Ullam voluptatem error repellat et. Quia aut architecto et eum aut eveniet.

Jun 22, 2022 - 4:28pm
xyzzzzz, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Dignissimos et esse illum ex dignissimos aut quia. Consequatur aut tenetur consectetur est soluta.

Odio sit magnam et harum. Aliquam in et dolor incidunt molestiae quo expedita possimus. Omnis optio consequatur ad assumenda distinctio similique.

Rerum eos consequatur aspernatur reiciendis ab enim. Consequatur quia nihil vitae veritatis voluptate dolorem. Hic quidem occaecati nisi fuga esse sit ipsam. Beatae quia perferendis ut nostrum ut accusantium saepe eveniet.

Start Discussion

Career Advancement Opportunities

August 2022 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company (▲05) 99.6%
  • Lincoln International (= =) 99.2%
  • RBC Capital Markets (▲09) 98.8%
  • Bank of America Merrill Lynch (▲03) 98.4%
  • Macquarie Group Limited ABN (+ +) 98.0%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

August 2022 Investment Banking

• Lincoln International (▲06) 99.6%
  • Jefferies & Company (▲11) 99.2%