Silver BananaTrending Content (see all)Replies
+73
Ray Dalio: Capitalism Needs to Be Reformed

CRE

Bridgewater's Ray Dalio [wrote a post about "Why and How Capitalism Needs to be Reformed,"](https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-how-capitalism-needs-reformed-parts-1-2-ray-dalio/?published=t/) claiming that the outcomes of capitalism are no longer consistent with the system’s...

+66
What do you do if you have a thing for your director

sadsoul90

Associate in my mid-late twenties, my director is amazing - I just really like her. Maybe I'm telling you all because I can't tell anyone else.

+48
Depressed - Don't want to live anymore

Emotionless

This is a different account that I just made. I made this to avoid using my main account, as I'm well respected, I think? But.. I'm at the point where I just don't want to live anymore. I recently got laid off as a prop trader.. Fuck trading, family, friends, bills, child support...

All Pods
All Events
Silver Banana
Recently Active Topics
Replies
Summer Classes in Houston

MarkyMarkWahlbergWasAwesome

Hey, so I'm going to be in Houston for an internship this summer. I would like to take Calc II while I'm in Houston this summer, and wondered if anyone knew of an affordable, accredited 4-year school that might have like, evening or weekend classes or something that I might be able to work in. Let...

+2
Michael Burry's Reading List

wsinformer

http://wallstreetinformer.wordpress.com/2010/03/22/michael-burrys-reading-list/...

Hedgefund loses 86% in a month

sadboy

http://www.ebullio.co.uk dang...

WSO March Madness Pool?

kanon

With so many WSO members, I'm kind of surprised no one proposed a WSO March Madness pool. Maybe we can set one up. Winner gets a bunch of silver bananas? ...

Michael Lewis on Bloomberg, Anybody Else See This?

mr1234

pretty cool vid, not particularly informative but Lewis comes to some interesting conclusions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1YWZbsJlaQ ...

BB IBD

anonymousman

All those working IBD at a BB, anywhere in the world....

Excel Model Question

BKBG

Excel question. I have three scenarios for a model (cell $B$2 = 1,2 or 3). Each one has a different EBITDA output. I would like to have a quick summary of EBITDA and other numbers relevant to each scenario shown at the same time in a different tab than the dashboard. Does anybody know how I can ma...

Who will be in Houston this summer?

monty09

I may do a BBQ this summer so if in town..hit me up monty09...

+1
Chicago Cost of Living

HeyFloydWhaddyaSay

Accepted a corporate banking analyst position with a MM bank in Chicago.... Salary is great for Corporate banking, however I know chicago is a pretty expensive city...just wondering what I should expect to pay for certain things, as I'm trying to create a budget: So far I have: (per month) $865 Re...

Where are they now?

runthepen

Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to some of these ridiculous characters we've heard of from Wall Street (i.e. Models and Bottles guy, Aleksey "Impossible is Nothing", etc.)...After their huge blunders, where are they now? In case anyone needs a refresher, here's the classic Models and B...

US NEWS: Best Undergraduate Business Programs 2009

goldenknights24

Give your thoughts and opinions on the new 2009 business rankings. I will post specific business major rankings by request. 1. University of Pennsylvania 2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology 3. University of California--Berkeley 3. University of Michigan--Ann Arbor 5. New York University 6. ...

85 Broad sporting a Chinese national flag?

kazzaf84

Did anyone see 60 Minutes last night? What's up with Goldman headquarters flying a Chinese flag? (1 US 1 PRC as opposed to the usual 2 US flags)...

Minimum Salary to Live/Enjoy NYC

weeds499

Just curious on those of you guys who are living in NYC currently - what do you think you would need to enjoy/live comfortable in this city? I'm just curious since I know a lot of people run credit card debt their first year in banking - which seemed excessive to me, but I know a few guys who just ...

+1
Cougars...

Boutique Banking

I'm curious as to what the overall opinion is on these wonderful women. What age actually classifies a woman as a "cougar"? (I would go with 35 & up). It is funny, but it seems as though I get more attention from these women then some of the younger females. Personally, I love cougars and I'm fasc...

BAML Lev Fin vs. MS Generalist Pool

NovasisMLB

I am considering between the two opportunities for an SA related position. Any thoughts? If someone with experience could shoot me a response it would be greatly appreciated....

How hard is it to earn 3-4% real ROI?

econ

Just wanted to get your opinions on this. How easy/difficult would it be, to construct a portfolio that earns 3-4% (net inflation)? Put differently, how much risk would one have to bear, to get such a return? ...

How do I become happy again?

banking45

I'm young and missing so much satisfaction in my life because the pressure to succeed at my school and all this prestige whoring on WSO has made me sad and bitter. Now I'm always looking to move-up in the world, always thinking about getting something better than what I have. I now care way too much...

Weird Science

YoungsieSig

This is a forum for users to talk about and debate various topics in the creation of financial models. ...

Intros

Elysium

Hi guys, It's great to see so many NU alums here. Where does everyone work? I'm at a small boutique in Michigan. ...

Would you rather be

SirBankalot

The Incredible Hulk or Lloyd Blankfein? ...

0 2
Day in the Life

Mr. Pink Money

Life as an investment professional: Since event driven strategies tend to be characterized as being very thorough and very concentrated, I'm only working on 1-2 ideas at a time. Roughly speaking, in any given month, I'll drill down on 2-3 ideas, pitch 1-2, and 50-75% of pitched ideas are put on. 6...

Brown_Bateman

The Shit

Is it just me or is this Brown_Bateman moderator, whos only a prospective monkey, getting really annoying and over-regulative? I call for his removal....

Should I Get A Sony Reader?

ElijahPrice

This weekend, I'm going to buy an Ipod Touch, so I can listen to podcasts, etc, on the train. I have the option of purchasing the Sony Reader at a heavily discounted price (Cost for the 6-inch would be less than $35 to me, retail price is $300). I want to purchase it so I can read eBooks on the sub...

Stock Market Now?

Banker88

What do you guys think of the stock market currently? I have some money invested and I'm up about 5% since September. Wondering if I should cash out now before another dip? Any interesting thoughts or articles? If anyone else invests, what names/positions do you have?...

Stratemegize - What Consultants Do Best

stratemegize

To all those management consultants out there stuck in snow storms and spending mindless hours at airports waiting for your delayed flights, I have come across a hilarious short novel that'll make the clock tick a whole lot faster. "Stratemegize - What Consultants Do Best" is like Dilbert meets Ja...

Welcome Isa Khan to WSO

NewCollegeKid

My parents and I was at the Bauer Business School ( University of Houston) to check out the school. (I have a low SAT score because I screwed around in high school.) The people that ran the Entrepreneurship program was trying to sell their program to me because they said it's "right" for me. In t...

0 7
+5
Monkey story for the fellow Monkeys.

Barboone

Just wanted to lighten up the forum with a story, I figured this would make us feel even better about this profession choice. One fine day a wise man makes a sudden appearance at a village with an offer to buy monkeys for 10 bucks apiece. Since there are many monkeys around, the villagers start c...

Need to ask for a 4 1/2 minutes favor!

fin777

Hey Friends, I am part of a new Manhattan based start up venture that is trying to reinvent the delivery dining experience for professionals who work late hours in i-banking, consulting, law etc etc. We need to launch our survey in scale on Monday (to a few hundred people), and would love for fell...

Is anyone here...

JGLara

Is anyone here a member or does anyone have an account at Bullcareers? Could you give me a hand by sending to me an invitation? I would really appreciate all your cooperation. Looking forward to hear from a member of Bullcareers soon. Yours faithfully JGLara ...

New York Travel Question

cheese86

Hi, can someone familiar with New York tell me how I would best go about getting from an apt. in Bowery up to Stamford every day? What combination of trains, walking, sub would I need? Thanks for any insight. ...

Do you brag about being a banker to the layman?

PiperJaffrayChiang

Or do you keep it a secret? Some of my conversations usually go like this: Me: "Baby u so fine... let me tap dat..." Stranger: " So, what will you be doing come summer after you graduate?" Me: "Umm.. yeah I'll be workin someplace..." Stranger: "Oh really? like a summer job?" Me: "No, full-time" Str...

Vanderbilt Alumni

flutterby

Vandy does not have an alumni group, so here it is. Join if you are a current or former student at Vandy, either undergrad or graduate. ...

A summer experience at Goldman Sachs

Mis Ind

Thought you guys might appreciate this. I found it on a torn-out journal page at Ulysses when I was over there seeing a friend a couple days ago. I wonder if anyone knows someone who might have written it? June 5, 2006: My first day at Goldman Sachs! I trembled as I stepped through the holy doo...

Dear America, Please ignore the shitty job we are doing. Love, The White House

WestCoastDeveloper

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0111549320100301?type=marketsNews Shoot.... ...

Goldman Sachs needs to change its name...

SirBankalot

To Platinum Sachs!...

Finance Theories - Practical? Useless?

ken_wso

Hello all, I have just started taking finance courses at university that delve deeper into portfolio management theories and other finance topics. My question is; are these theories actually practical? Are they ever used in real-life or are they just theories that don't actually work in reality? ...

webcomic sluggy predicted the bailout in '01

dagro

one of my favorite pastimes: a webcomic called sluggy freelance. the characters are loveable, plots are cool, humor is great... just ran across an old strip from 01 that predicts the bailout (unknowingly). http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/010508 enjoy *note - Torg is wearing a jungle ...

+1
Fraternity and IBD

expresstrain56

I’m in the one of the best frats at my school (aka we usually hold the biggest parties and get the biggest girls). Will having a lesser position (e.g. Treasurer) of my fraternity look better over someone who is President of a less popular/prestigious fraternity? Because I think any brother from my...

Top Facebook Fan Pages - what a joke

jackofalltrades

Texas Hold'em Poker 12,435,879 fans Michael Jackson 11,077,433 fans Mafia Wars 9,209,149 fans Barack Obama 7,692,402 fans Vin Diesel 7,578,831 fans Facebook 7,423,112 fans Megan Fox 5,982,167 fans Starbucks 5,965,476 fans Lady Gaga 5,403,346 fans Coca-Cola 5,090,504 fans The Twilight Saga 5,...

Vera Farmiga

rocknrolla

Vera Farmiga... Is it just me or in Up in the Air is there any woman you would like to **** more considering how hot she is and her personality? Her being married is a travesty to mankind and getting a butt double for that scene is bullshit. I would marry her in a second and she's 10 years older th...

Do banks ever hire fat people?

ShreddiesBrah

Before you ridicule this thread, I've spent some time on a lot of trading floors in the UK and have never seen a fat person on one. Wondering if it's just a huge coincidence or whether there is some kinda recruiting prejudice against fat people. ...

Micro-finance

monyet

Hey guys, For ten months now, I've been working on a financial product that I call MICROSAFE (lame name, but whatever). I've consulted a few professors at target and international schools about my work, they said that they liked the idea but they did not do much with it. That leads me to believe th...

+1
Alex Vayner is at London School of Economics!

BespokeAnalyst2010

http://www.linkedin.com/ppl/webprofile?gwp=&id=15990359&pvs=pp&authToken=UX3B&authType=name&locale=en_US&trk=ppro_geturl&lnk=sign_in...

+3
Good new jokes?

e36M3

Got any?...

Is Chicago second-tier in the world of finance?

Derivatives

Aside from Citadel and the PE firm Madison Dearborn, i don't think Chicago has any elite financial firms. They have a bunch of no-name prop firms and floor traders who are going extinct. Even San Francisco and Boston have more hedge funds than Chicago. ...

Where to buy beer in NYC?

fibows

Can you buy 24 or 30 packs of beer in Manhattan? I sometimes see 18's in grocery stores, but haven't seen cases sold anywhere since I've been here....

+2
Wall St. Buzzword Tournament - And The Winner Is....

WallStreetOasis.com

Inspired by the post Which Office Buzzwords Do You Hate the Most?, I thought it would be fun to hold a Tournament to try and see which Buzzwords we really hate most on Wall Street. The committee has thought long and hard about these seeds and I apologize to those buzzwords that were snubbed (althou...

start firing off the questions

monty09

anything you want to know ...

Yes or No - given the chance

WishYouWereHere

Would you take an offer at Goldman TMT if given the opportunity even if 1) they paid you only $60K + bonus a year 2) you have to kill 20 puppies to get in?...

LOL FUNNY CONSULTING JOKE

WishYouWereHere

McKinsey is the BAIN of my existence, that and drinking BOOZ of course. gotta MONITOR that drinking, on my Greece trip i passed out at the PARTHENON. ...

+1
WSO is not Match.com

TheKing

I sign on to the site today and see a message in my inbox. This is what it says: "Hello My name is miss Sylvia.i saw your profile today on(www.wallstreetoasis.com) and became intrested in you,i will also like to know more about you,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so that i can gi...

FLOORED and The Guy Good.

LLcoolJ

FLOORED and The Guy Good. Where can I watch/download these movies? Thankx...

kathleen hayes

michelfoucault

Does anyone else think that kathleen hayes on bloomberg sucks?...

Roommate in Richmond, VA

miller01

Anybody going to be in Richmond, VA for FT? Im looking for a roommate. Cant find anyone from my school who is going there. Let me know. ...

Mis Ind and Aadpepsi

bigbossman23

Was going through some old posts and am pretty sure mis ind and aadpepsi are bosses. where'd they go?!?...

Offer help - rank these!!

swagon

Hi all, I'm a junior at a semi-target and a girl in my accounting class offered to give me the following: 1. a blumpkin 2. a reach around 3. a rusty trombone 4. a dirty sanchez My gut tells me the blumpkin or rusty trombone would boost my resume due to the prestige, but I may get better experience...

Movie by ex-Partner at Citadel: The Good Guy

kanon

Anyone else curious/wants to see this movie? http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=aB3IzlzsoVkw "...After leaving Citadel, DePietro spent 15 months backpacking around the world. When he returned to the U.S., he moved to New York and took a three-month crash course in filmmaking at Ne...

What is the position Principal

Function

I've been seeing this one a lot when looking for bankers to contact, especially on Bloomberg. What does the position "Principal" mean?...

Is this watch going to cut it?

WestCoastDeveloper

Hey I was wondering what everyone thought about wearing this in an interview: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VEPTWY/ref=oss_product for No, its not a Rolex, but I have student loans and bills to pay so I am not going to drop that kind of money this early on for a watch. Please let me know...

NYC Moving/Living Dilemma

apple1634

I'm moving to NYC this summer to start in IB at a BB. I don't start until the first week of July and training is 5-6 weeks, but I'll have to be up there in mid-june for some preliminary things. The person I'm living with is a friend from school who also got a job in NYC, but he doesn't start until...

Do you judge

WishYouWereHere

Do you judge your friends based amount of Linkedin Connections they have?...

+1
What was your first semester GPA?

FutureGekko

I had a 3.6 with 15 credits. A bit low for banking, I think (non-target)....

Wall Street 2 Trailer

GoodBread

Wall Street 2, the teaser trailer: http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/wall-street-2/teaser-trailer...

Search Feature on WSO?

jatinb123

Is it just me, or did the Search feature on WSO disappear?...

Are your banks open on monday?

coffeebateman

Are banks closed on monday? I interviewed on Wednesday and am eagerly awaiting a call back. ...

+7
Got some time to kill?

Mzzzz

Here is how I spend my down time.... I fking hate AA, yet I love them for doing this. http://i.americanapparel.net/storefront/UGCStyle/BestBottom2010/index.asp *possibly* NSFW, but its AA...

Anyone else taken Art Classes??

BigFatPanda

Just a question: have any other monkey taken art classes in college? Am I the only one? I was the only one in my finance dept, and most monkeys at school gave me shit for pursuing a minor in which I couldn't guarantee a grade of A in the classes. Great experience, though, if you're the creative t...

Baby got WACC - Good idea?

coffeebateman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JluzYxAexvg...

Funny story from MN Youth in Government

RTJ234

[Post content removed as requested]...

Average Apt Size

memento

For a first year analyst on 70K base, what is/was your guys' average apartment size/bedroom size. Were you able to put a queen size bed in your room? ...

UnderDogs

BigFatPanda

Are you a "non-traditional" student and/or a student at a "non-target" school? On the 5, 6, 7, or 10 year plan? Did you go back to school at 25 only to rise to the top of your class? Have you made a commitment to doing everything in your power to be able to compete with Ivy League students for in...

Farewell

FTPiper

Farewell, I will be taking a step back with my posts at WSO. I was the one who originated the thread about the NYTimes Article on Black people and unemployment and many other great ones. As WSO wants to crack down on trolls, I believe it is time for me to leave this forum and let PiperJaffrayChian...

website awareness(moneyhawker.com)

Business-Guru

Hey fellow dawgs, For those interested in trading the markets- I just want to give you guys a heads up about a new website on trading strategies/financial talk. For those interested, it is www.moneyhawker.com. ...

+1
Sex with colleagues

intern_assassin

Have you done it? What were the consequences? Did you feel pressured to do so when propositioned by a Senior colleague of the opposite sex? Ok, so I have slept with a Senior colleague (female) after a work function. She was probably a good 15 years older than me. Pretty gross hey. No problems until...

What is a "Bonesaw"?

TheBoneSaw

What does "Bonesaw" mean? I have been hearing rumblings of a bonesaw type of interview or something at banks... does this have anything to do with a trick question about the movie Saw?...

Best SEC Filing Ever

lolbaringslol

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/displayfilinginfo.aspx?FilingID=3980250-1565-18977&type=sect&TabIndex=2&companyid=9707&ppu=%252fdefault.aspx%253fcik%253d104777 It's like an ambulance chaser commercial....

1st Year Analyst - Buy vs Rent Decision?!?!?!

GetRichorDieTryin

Fellas, Since I have landed (thankfully) a FT analyst position with a BB, I am now looking into what my options are for housing starting this summer. Obviously, I can be like the majority and rent as close as possible to my building in Mid-town, however I was thinking about purchasing a place inste...

To the city of Miami from the Who Dat Nation

prop86

Dear Miami, The Saints are coming. And so are we, their loyal, long-suffering and slightly discombobulated Super Bowl-bound fans. While there's still time to prepare -- although a few hard-core Who Dats will begin trickling in Monday, most of us won't arrive until Thursday or Friday -- we thought ...

+1
Fights at the Office

E46fan91

I was just reading about the charity Wall Street boxing match that was held a while and it had me wondering if real fights ever occur between coworkers? Obviously there can be a lot of tension/competition . Have you guys ever seen any good fights break out on the trading floor or in your office? ...

Investment Banker on Family Guy

M-001

Not sure if anyone has seen this before.. "He's a worse dad than a rich New York City investment banker!" - Stewie Griffin Then cut to this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYOop4Minzo Had it on in the background until I heard 'investment banker'.. ...

OK fess up - who's ride is this?

CaptK

Saw this on the road today - which one of you monkeys was behind the wheel? PJC? This pic is a little small, click it to zoom in to read the plate....

Dallas Professionals

kiowapilot58

This group is focused on Dallas professionals in the Hedge Fund, Investment Banking, Private Equity, Venture Capital and related industries. I want to provide an area to network and discuss current events and concerns on the Dallas marketplace. Please let others know!...

Bankers Against Obama

jatinb123

The first year of his presidency is marked with unmet goals, ideological policies, and rhetoric blaming bush and the banks. Now after the banks have paid back the TARP money with interest/dividends, they are being charged a tax to cover the losses from the auto-industry, and face unnecessary regul...

+2
Rap Video about Economics

Grover Cleveland

Done well ...

Cubicle Essentials?

useless

What do you keep in your cubicle (other than the usual IB stuff)? Me: Starbucks Double Shot. I find this tastier than Red Bull. I usually keep 5-10 cans. iPod Touch. Music: Radiohead/Curren$y/Kanye West. Games: Tap Tap (I whoop ass at this)/Minigore (Unlocked all characters)/Doodle Jump. Also the...

+1
Isn't it rad that in the future...

PiperJaffrayChiang

there will be a bunch of MDs and VPs on WSO assuming that analysts and prospective candidates who make it, stay on the board and continue to spread their loving advice for others? it's the age of the internet and I don't believe that there is any other wallstreet ibanking forum quite like this one t...

S&T vs. R&A group

statman

Hey guys, the nontarget has his pick from two prestigious groups, I can either do S&T at Mattress Firm: Feather trading or Tires Plus, operations analyst, Rotation and Alignment group. Which should I choose and could you comment on exit opps? Thanks....

Read the Footnotes Group

Mr. Pink Money

I've decided that having a group would serve as a better platform to discuss the "Good, Bad, Ugly" of buyside. That way I can organize topics accordingly and things don't get jumbled about in the "Good, Bad, Ugly" thread in the hedge fund forum. As I re-organize this group, you might see some redu...

Liar's Poker Tournament with Special Guest Michael Lewis

AthenaCollab

Question: If you were were selling team sponsorships to this event -- where and how would you post it/share it etc.? Thanks for your help. The Liar's Poker Tournament to benefit the Athena Collaborative Group marks the twentieth anniversary of that infamous Wall Street tell-all book. Although thi...

MSF/CFA

investin925

If one wants to stay in the Analyst position but still grow would MSF/CFA be the best track? ...

To The London Massive

newbie2banking

I think we should all meet up for drinks one of these days... Could be a good way for us to find out about different firms/groups, or just a good excuse to get out... Any takers? Post if you're up for it - we'll sort out date and location later. ...

+1
Lied about my SAT score

SirBankalot

On my resume, I rounded up my math score from 650 to 795 (didn't want to be perfect 800 since they'd get suspicious). Will this be a problem?...

Interviewing

Mr. Pink Money

Preparing for the interview: I've received some inbox questions and I figure I answer them in this thread since most are asking similar questions and there will be others on this forum better equipped to answer some of the questions. 1. As an new IBD analyst, how can I prepare myself over the next...

Merging and further name elimination

Nicu

Hi, Morgan Stanley merged with Dean Witter, and the new firm was called Morgan Stanley Dean Witter. But later the name "Dean Witter" was eliminated. Why? It looks like Morgan Stanley bought Dean Witter but not merged with it. And there are other examples too. ...

Roommate in SF

MonkeyGator

Anybody here going to be a a first year analyst in 2010 and looking for a roomate in San Francisco?...

Goldman is the only bank worth joining -- yeah, you heard me.

Lloyd Blankfein_0

The GS ticker stands for God's Son. Shittiest group at Goldman (is there such a thing?) >>> best group at BAML (is there such a thing?) If you don't make it to GS, why even bother trying to live? Discuss....

Pelham 1 2 3 Unrealistic Returns?

born2bebusiness

I just saw the movie The Taking of Pelham 123, and basically John Travolta is an ex-Wallstreet guy who pretends to be a terrorist and hijacks a NYC subway, taking 20 people hostage. During the couple hours he has the train hijacked the stock market goes down, and gold prices double due to the uncert...

+2
What kind of dirty secrets do bankers have?

PiperJaffrayChiang

We all know that bankers are not average peons. We are all prestige whores to a certain extent who are in it for the money and women. There is a certain facade that you maintain in a testosterone dominated work environment to show that you're completely impenetrable and completely devoid of any emot...

Pages