• Prospect in S&T - Equities
Mar 20, 2020

think the timeline for apac would be next semester

• Prospect in Other
Mar 21, 2020

Will the apps open in summer?

• Prospect in S&T - Equities
Mar 21, 2020

no idea. i'm also an applicant. from past experience i think it's in junior fall

• Prospect in Non-profit
May 28, 2020

cs has opened applications

• Prospect in 
Jun 22, 2020

Is it fine to apply to MS and CS by July? I understand that the applications are rolling

Jun 26, 2020

They won't kick-off screening until then

• Prospect in 
Jun 27, 2020

When are they going to start screening?

Jun 26, 2020

Does Hong Kong discriminate based on citizenship? I attend a US target but I'm not a citizen there. Also are the interviews more technical (whereas US is mostly behavioral)?

• Prospect in AM - Equities
Jun 26, 2020

No, most companies are willing to sponsor except maybe a few (heard that Moelis doesn't)
Technicals are definitely tested, and some banks will have case studies/group interviews

Jun 26, 2020

Also make sure you're fluent in Mandarin if you're not of East Asian background for IB, for S&T you might get by with only knowing English

Array

Jun 26, 2020

Also how much does networking help? I attend an Ivy target, have sent out rounds of emails, but no one from Asia has responded yet. Am I too early or is networking just pointless?

• Analyst 3+ in PE - Other
Jun 27, 2020

Networking does not work 90% of the time. You may have better luck if you reach out to someone who studied both university and high school abroad with a more westernized face (caucasian or Chinese who looks ABC).

I guess you are not mainland Chinese given you don't have citizenship. Better not to randomly email them if you don't have anything common. Usually they will help someone they know in real life or undergrad/high school alumni. It may back fire you if you are too westernized to them.

Jun 29, 2020

I'm from Singapore, trying to break into HK since the US situation isn't looking the best now.

When you say networking does not work, do you mean that the analysts simply have no say in the process? (Case in point: JPM in the US now requires no networking) Or do you mean that it's just harder to network, but it still remains useful to get the first round screen? Thanks!

Most Helpful
Jun 29, 2020

At most firms the juniors can help a bit.

Some firms the analysts screen resume while in others they can shoot HR a short note to help you score a few more points at least.

The main issue is it can backfire you if you are not a mainland Chinese and not used to the mainland Chinese culture.

Actually 90%+ of mainland Chinese will not respond to you anyway unless you are 1) also mainland Chinese (they will just ignore your email for networking if your name does not look mainland Chinese) and 2) having ties such as same high school / undergraduate university or family connection

Occasionally you can find someone who can offer you some tips / advice (but may/may not offer you referral) but sometimes there are toxic people who forward networking emails, laughing at kids trying too hard to beg for internships. At my old firm, there were toxic VP who read out "I am interested in investment banking" in cover letter loud and start non-stop laughing.

I would say nice / toxic people are both rare and most will just ignore your email even you followed up. But if you don't have any ties, better not to try casting a net too wide to avoid these toxic people.

There is a strong preference for mainland Chinese though. At my old BB, they hired 20+ interns this year, only 2 are Hongkies and the rest are mainland Chinese (no Southeast Asian/Korean). You will be tested Chinese very hard during interview and internship. If Chinese is not good enough to translate an English written investment highlights into impactful Chinese ones, then you may better avoid doing IB in HK.

Given your Singaporean ties, I would recommend trying to reach out to Singaporean/Hongkie bankers in HK, preferably with westernized education more than just an undergraduate degree. These people are more used to networking mentality and will take you more seriously.

I have worked in SG and HK. Hope you can land a decent position in HK. Finance in SG is painful I know

Jun 27, 2020

HR does not discriminate based on citizenship.

Your interviewer is likely to choose someone who is native in Chinese (that means writing and speaking as good as someone growing up in mainland China and not HK) over anyone else.

Jun 26, 2020

anymore updates on apps in SG?

Jun 27, 2020

PM if interested in joining 2021 SA APAC whatsapp group

Jun 27, 2020

Interested

Jun 29, 2020

interested

Jun 30, 2020

interested

Jun 30, 2020

interested

Jul 1, 2020

Interested

Array

Jul 1, 2020

Interested

Jul 1, 2020

interested!

Array

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 29, 2020

Does anyone know why people seem to prefer HK over SG for their internship?
Or are both locations equally, say, prestigious>

Jun 29, 2020

Much more headcounts in HK

• Intern in IB-M&A
Jun 29, 2020
Comment
Jun 29, 2020