2022 Bonus / Comp Thread

Guess it's almost that time of year where #'s are getting communicated. Share below (if possible in below format). I'll get it started:

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): 8 / 6

Strategy: Credit/Event

Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): 750k (150 / 600)

Total 2021 Comp: 1.1M

Notes: fund exp to be down 5-10% this year

$750 when the fund's down 5-10%...not bad at all, congrats. Approximate size of the firm/fund?

Don't want to reveal too much but >1B

Research Associate in HF - Event

Guess it's almost that time of year where #'s are getting communicated. Share below (if possible in below format). I'll get it started:

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): 8 / 6

Strategy: Credit/Event

Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): 750k (150 / 600)

Total 2021 Comp: 1.1M

Notes: fund exp to be down 5-10% this year

YOE buyside: 13

strategy: multi asset/quant

2022 comp: $5.5mm ($500k base / $5mm bonus)

biotechbuddy555

Unrelated Q but have you found your hrs over the past 10yrs have stayed pretty constant around 50-65/week? Curious if more tenured buysiders (6+ yrs) see hours change over a long enough time horizon. Thx

I usually work ~50 hrs a week (8AM - 6 PM) although I do spend a lot of my time outside of work thinking about markets. Rarely does it get over 60 unless a lot is going on in the markets. 

What does a undergraduate junior math major with a summer IB position at a Jefferies/WB/Guggenheim caliber firm hoping to be in your position some time down the line have to do. Any valuable hard skills to learn early (maybe accounting?).

What does an undergraduate junior math major with a summer IB position at a Jefferies/WB/Guggenheim caliber firm hoping to be in your position some time down the line have to do. Any valuable hard skills to learn early (maybe accounting?).

Honestly, I’d recommend you enjoy college and make sure you use that time to study the things you are passionate about (and take the weird classes/seminars that sound interesting that you may not get a chance to do later in life). And also enjoy the social aspect, you are surrounded by people your age, there are so many great opportunities to take advantage of in college, don’t waste that time worrying about what’ll get you in a HF down the road, most of that stuff won’t matter (you’ll learn a lot on the job).

I never set out to work at a HF out of school (barely knew how they worked), so I can’t say my advice is any good. But I’ve had most of my success when finding the things I’m passionate about and working hard at them. A few things:

1) follow your passions: when I set out the quant space wasn’t that big, the technical skills weren’t valued as much, but I enjoyed it. I focused on being the best at that 

2) focus on learning: too often people are focused on being the best or being “right” without focusing on actually learning content. A big difference between a HF and school is that there isn’t a “right” answer, you need to be creative and see things others don’t 

3) don’t be afraid to fail: so many people I’ve met come from impressive backgrounds, have always been the “best”, they don’t know how to fail and learn and they are so afraid of it 

4) take all the opportunities presented to you (to a degree): don’t stress about things being “beneath” you, work hard and every opportunity is an opportunity to learn and advance. 

that’s all I have for now 

Hey OP, couple questions

1. How big and lean is your fund? Relatively speaking
  1. Assuming your sr analyst? Is there real visibility to PM / partner, and if so, how does comp structure change in that seat? When do u think you’ll get there?

Hey OP, couple questions

1. How big and lean is your fund? Relatively speaking
  1. Assuming your sr analyst? Is there real visibility to PM / partner, and if so, how does comp structure change in that seat? When do u think you'll get there?

Don't want to get too specific but reasonably lean. I'm a mid to senior level analyst, don't think there's path to partner but I would guess the much more senior analysts make 3-5x+ what I make

Ignore the title from a prior role.

YoE: 8 / 7

Strategy: Credit/Event SM HF

2022 Comp: 1.1M total (300 base / 800 bonus)

Performance: down 0-5%

AUM: $10BN+

How are you getting that bonus even with 0-5% year? Is comp not just linked to fund performance?

Not OP but next year distressed / credit is expected to be attractive so need senior analysts in seats to drive incremental returns. 

At 10bn+ should be well within the 300m+ / IP range or better so the management fees are there and 0-5% should beat relevant credit benchmarks.

Im more impressed by the base salary.

Ignore the title from a prior role.

YoE: 8 / 7

Strategy: Credit/Event SM HF

2022 Comp: 1.1M total (300 base / 800 bonus)

Performance: down 0-5%

AUM: $10BN+

Congrats - sounds like we are in similar enough age / industry / seats (I'm OP). How was your 2022 vs. 2021? I kind of expected comp to be down, haven't really figured out if I should be underwhelmed, happy, sad or what with what they gave me (I guess should default to grateful to have a job and pay great vs. many many others)

that's what I'm thinking. the market has been atrocious this year. funds are going bust. layoffs everywhere. and people in here are all like "fund down 5%, comp mil+". one guy even posted that he made 5.5mil. that's what Olivier Giroud is making - one of the top goal scorers in the World Cup, leading goal scorer in French history, the man who brought France to the World Cup final. and then somebody who lost 5% of somebody else's money is getting paid the same. ridiculous.

Kevin25

that's what I'm thinking. the market has been atrocious this year. funds are going bust. layoffs everywhere. and people in here are all like "fund down 5%, comp mil+". one guy even posted that he made 5.5mil. that's what Olivier Giroud is making - one of the top goal scorers in the World Cup, leading goal scorer in French history, the man who brought France to the World Cup final. and then somebody who lost 5% of somebody else's money is getting paid the same. ridiculous.

I’m the person who posted the $5.5mm and we didn’t lose 5%. We are up a fair bit this year. Also, many football players get paid a lot more (you are cherry picking an example) but on the other side there aren’t many people at funds that make this either (so you are comparing a good players to a senior person at a “top” fund). It isn’t crazy, both are people who are excelling in a competitive field. 

YOE: 5-7 / 5-7

Strategy: L/S Equity

2022 Comp: $100k + $0k

Notes: fund expected to be down around mid-teens for the year. Made a lot of investment errors this year, will bounce back next year hopefully. Based in US.

Lol something seems off if 400k is under market and 600k is expected comp in a blowout year

I’m not sure what you’re specifically referring to here but for context staying in PE for a third year comp would be ~$450-500k (hence $400k is under market). If we were legitimately up 40% this year I would hope to be above $600k but also recognize there is likely some ceiling to what I’d get in my first year on the HF side. Have heard of first year guarantees from top crossovers for 2+2 backgrounds in the $600-700k range (this was in 2021 though) 

What value did you contribute to your crossover fund -25% that makes you entitled to more than 400k of comp / "it is not good comp"? You sound tone deaf if how you're describing "but my PE comp would've been this if I stayed" where your clear value is a cog in the machine of churning out models for your MD vs. having questionable value to tech-beta HF that itself probably has questionable value if they were down 25% this year.

Compensation doesn't just move in a straight line upwards because you got college / banking / PE with a golden spoon after you first opened a Vault guide 10 years ago. You should be grateful your fund hasn't been liquidated frankly.

Got it, I’m sorry you’re upset about the people who have been able to ride the levered long tech beta wave to wealth over the past few years - sounds like you weren’t on that path and I can understand the frustration. With that said, my comp does not include any sort of tie-in to incentive performance so in many ways (this is my opinion you don’t need to agree) I am still a “cog in the machine” where my comp / cost is based on the other respective opportunities in the market. FWIW I joined part way through the year and the fund was already down - the P&L for the names I cover / pitched was actually positive. 

Got it, I'm sorry you're upset about the people who have been able to ride the levered long tech beta wave to wealth over the past few years - sounds like you weren't on that path and I can understand the frustration. With that said, my comp does not include any sort of tie-in to incentive performance so in many ways (this is my opinion you don't need to agree) I am still a "cog in the machine" where my comp / cost is based on the other respective opportunities in the market. FWIW I joined part way through the year and the fund was already down - the P&L for the names I cover / pitched was actually positive. 

So they paid you 220k bonus for not a full year? And you're running victory laps for pitching some ideas mid way through the year after names drawdown 50-70% and we've gone through 3+ bear market rallies?

I could care less how others make their wealth (especially in industry like ours where the average HF professional value add is "negative" returns) but when I see young kids with shiny eyes having attitude / entitlement problems, I try point it out only so that it may help you down the road. I guarantee you that your "P&L for my names are positive" matter equally at best (and less than at worst) to your attitude early in your career and senior analysts / PMs notice that stuff. 

I’m not OP and I love this drama but it really gets me when people say “what did you to deserve $x”. What do you do to deserve your $200k base comp versus some guy in any other job. Who the fuck cares. 

Everyone knows it’s not necessarily a straight line up progression in the HF world but in the more SM funds at a junior level - it’s kind of like that. You’re not as levered as you are to fund performance (so you don’t make crazy amounts in a blowout year either) and they build in some some of career progression path.

Literally nothing wrong with comparing his forward PE comp with HF comp. That’s literally the choice one has to make when leaving PE too.

Fund is down and he’s still getting 400k or whatever? Who cares - good for him. Maybe it’s a good seat and the fund values retaining people + can afford despite being down.

If these guys are being paid so well when the fund is losing money I wonder how macro guys are doing right now...

8 YOE, 6 buyside

$1.5b fund, sm equity l/s and not market neutral, down mid-high single digits

$250k base, $200k bonus

wish we performed better, but outperformed our bench. can't complain, expected a donut since bonus is mostly tied to fund p/l, but prob given out to help with retention

Not bad - what have other years looked like for you? Thanks.

djjdddj

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): 5 / 3

Strategy: Event

Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): 635

Total 2021 Comp: 620

0% PnL; my positions meh

WOW

That’s really good for only 5 years… and especially when mergarb returns weren’t even out of ballpark this year. can you share fund AUM and returns? Is this a farallon?

could you give any insight on how many hours you work in a week? i'm trying to get an idea of the pod lifestyle

Depends on the team really. The stressful part about the job isn’t really the hours. You’ll end up thinking about the stocks, ideas and themes way beyond the hours you spend at the desk.. 

For my specific case, my actual hours at the desk look something like 7:30am to 5:30pm. Extend that a little bit during earnings. Some teams spend all their time building very detailed models which can mean they spend more time at the desk. Again, hours worked not really the main driver of wellbeing on the job I’d say. 

Team performed in line with overall fund so pretty normal year. 

Can you share what your career path was? Also, excuse me for still learning but "pod"? 

Probably not - you need a formulaic payout.

In this case it means making about 150mm of pnl at a multi-manager which can be done in a big year with 1-2bn of capital.

what percentile of PMs would you say you are in at your MM? top 20%? top 10%? This might be the biggest comp number posted in any WSO bonus thread 

I think that at a top MM, maybe 5-10% of teams will make about 20mm in a year.

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): 11 / 6

Strategy: L/S Equity

Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): 400k (150K / 250K)

Total 2021 Comp: $1M+

Notes: fund down ~10% - not a great year so generally happy 

Wow what were returns in 2021 vs 2022? Also do you work at a macro-specialized MM or one of the bigger MMs (citadel/baly/MLP)?

Is this a 1.5/15 type fee structure or a traditional management fee only LO?

GenericUsername119

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): since finishing graduate school: 4.5 / 2.5

Strategy: Equity L/S SM, sector specific, $600M AUM

Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): 925k (250 / 675 (425 cash, 250 deferred)

Total 2021 Comp: 650k

Notes: fund up around 5%

Are you able to share what sector? 

What does equity mean here? Do you mean a percent of the incentive fee? Or actual equity on the management  company  whereby you share in both management  and performance  fee streams?

Mind sharing fund size by any chance? Feel like that's a pretty decent outcome given market regardless of what some equity guys in this thread got

i'd be pretty happy with 500k especially in bear market we have. My guess is you probably could see upside to 700-900k in better markets in that type of role by time you hit early 30's

Any color on the pay in Asia - Hong Kong / Singapore?

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): 3 / 1

Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): $350k ($150 base / $200 bonus)

Notes: 2 years of BB IB. $3bn L/S SM fund

Et repellendus mollitia omnis nulla omnis a expedita nostrum. Saepe aut voluptatem sapiente sit labore.

Deleniti neque sit recusandae possimus. Voluptate porro soluta hic neque eos.

Quo qui sed aut sed. Et quas corrupti quo sunt est quaerat ut. Suscipit facilis magni consequatur unde beatae necessitatibus. Doloremque fuga aliquid dolorem mollitia magnam odio quisquam aut. Non nihil eum quidem ea voluptate.

Consequuntur aut iste repudiandae ut ut veniam. Sapiente quia voluptas facere debitis aspernatur ipsa et ut. Aliquam id iste possimus dolores. Blanditiis laudantium placeat molestiae laudantium optio. Recusandae est sunt vel deleniti a. Excepturi atque id officia aperiam consequatur. Sunt ea asperiores quae placeat expedita aut occaecati.

Sit iusto in possimus voluptate. Placeat velit suscipit modi assumenda dolor et. Ipsa consequatur iusto quia qui hic et consequatur.

Voluptatibus vitae a harum sequi necessitatibus enim. Autem accusantium quidem delectus explicabo suscipit non in. Voluptatem ut esse repellendus tempore officia.

Magni laborum ipsam odio assumenda qui. Animi qui alias saepe ipsam rerum iure. Quia officiis ut consectetur ipsam dicta ut.

Eveniet voluptas numquam adipisci amet tempora doloremque. Cum veniam deserunt quis similique consequatur. Quos in explicabo incidunt eaque nesciunt.

Atque odit dolor officiis dolores et. In fuga non quos. Rem temporibus vero possimus repudiandae dolor.

Illum esse necessitatibus exercitationem sit. Tenetur repellat saepe sunt consectetur eos sapiente.

Culpa ipsam nostrum cum delectus doloremque incidunt. Quisquam fugit nihil qui vitae velit ut odit. Velit explicabo aliquam dolorem sapiente aut nobis.

Ea asperiores beatae iste eius. Similique eum aut explicabo occaecati dolorem nam hic. Autem ipsam quasi cumque veniam accusantium velit. Dolore facere eos molestias exercitationem asperiores.

Dignissimos quis fugiat laboriosam eius quo dicta libero. Deleniti et libero aut temporibus in neque delectus. A molestiae molestiae dolorum ullam officia voluptatem.

Eveniet temporibus tempore corporis quam odit libero illo reprehenderit. Minima impedit est ducimus dignissimos tempora eveniet. Eius ducimus totam quo. Voluptatem saepe harum consequatur magnam id.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”