2025 SA - Visa Sponsorship - US Investment Banking

I'm starting this discussion based on jackd2’s post for 2024 SA - Visa Sponsorship - United States. I wanted to create a thread where people who need visa sponsorship can share information on 2025 SA recruiting.
In this post, I am adding a list of companies that I know are willing or unwilling to take in international students for 2025 summer analyst position based on the thread for 2024 SA discussions and my personal knowledge. This is based on my present knowledge, if you feel I am wrong about a certain company, please comment and mention so. Likewise, there are a lot of companies that I am unsure of regarding visa sponsorship policies - discussing whether they sponsor or not in the comments would definitely help. Please keep updating this thread and make it as informative as possible for everyone's benefit!

Bulge Brackets:

Sponsor:

• GS
  • BofA
  • UBS
  • DB
  • MS - technically sponsors but they are extremely stingy about it. You pretty much need to be diversity/ top candidate/have strong personal connection to stand a chance.
  • Citi - sponsorship varies across offices. Not all offices sponsor. The offices that do sponsor are also quite stingy and often only sponsor diversity candidates.

Unsure: 

• JPM - TN only, no H1B or J-1 visa
  • Barclays - Selective sponsorship

Elite Boutiques:

Sponsor:

• EVR
  • LAZ 
  • MOE
  • PJT
  • Greenhill
  • CVP - sponsorship varies across offices. Certain offices sponsor case by case and you will be held to a higher standard if you need sponsorship.

Don't Sponsor:

Middle Market and Other Banks:

Sponsor:

• JEF
  • Rothschild
  • HL - sponsorship policies vary across offices and groups. HL RX sponsors but other groups do not.
  • Wiliam Blair
  • RBC - sponsorship also depends on office and group
  • Mizuho
  • Nomura
  • TD Cowen
  • Baird
  • Oppenheimer 
  • Raine
  • LionTree
  • AGC Partners
  • Ducera
  • Raymond James - generally does not sponsor but if they really like you and if you have someone pulling for you, you might have a shot

Don't Sponsor:

Unsure:

afaik blair, mizuho, nomura are pretty sponsorship friendly

MS west coast offices sponsored last cycle. Also Qatalyst sponsored but don’t know if the guy was a dual citizen.

Adding my experience from the WC:

• GS SF/LA sponsor
  • MS Menlo / SF / LA (not sure if they're taking interns anymore) do sponsor but on a very limited basis
  • Barclays SF generally don't sponsor. When I spoke to HR, they basically said that "it's very rare" which presumably is corporate speak for no.
  • CS (now UBS LA/SF) did sponsor
  • MOE/EVR/JEFF sponsor. Moelis is particularly friendly to internationals/canadians on the WC
  • PJT SF/NY do sponsor, but not as much as other EBs
  • Rothschild LA sponsors
  • GHL SF sponsors
  • Lazard SF sponsors, a little stingy though
  • Deutsche SF sponsors
  • BofA SF + Palo Alto Tech both sponsor
  • Citi SF didn't sponsor last year

Hello, I heard from mentors that NY and Chi offices also sponsor a lot across different banks—is this correct?

Also, do banks prefer interntionals from a target in their local area? I’m currently going to a target in Chicago, and was wondering if Chicago offices have more preferrence, or do they just not care?

Thank you!!

IMHO you should apply to any office/group as long as they don't straight up say in application that they do not sponsor (guggenheim, ft partners). Recruiting is so competitive that there is basically no loss in going through the process if it's unclear. I have intl friends who got offers at places that you say do not sponsor (pwp, jpm)

AFAIK Gugg does not - was looking to lateral and had friends asked HR directly. 

It is pretty much necessary for international kids to extensively network so their resume doesn't get automatically filtered out. JPM automatically rejects all internationals. 

They sponsor laterals for sure.
Not sure for entry levels. I would say that it depends on who is pulling for you.

JPM takes both TN visa and OPT. Anything else is auto reject

Funniest

Just book a flight to Mexico and then cross the border my man, Democrats will give you sanctuary status henceforth your work authorization.

got sd with Macquarie last year. they said they would sponsored. did not actually get an offer.

Can confirm that JPM will sponsor TN. Auto reject for anyone in need of H1B or J-1 for internship. Also caveat that TN is only available for FT so not sure how applicable it is for people looking for 2025 SA

can confirm - applied to sa24 and got dinged like thte next morning

Most Helpful

As an international who had to go through this BS a couple years ago and somehow made it -- cheers to you guys for fighting the good fight, keep your head up. 

Someone above commented that you should just apply to any office / group. That's not the point -- it's about focusing your time and energy to the places that will actually take you. I've had several friends who literally received an offer only to be rescinded for being international. 

Gather good intel, apply wherever you have even the slightest chance, and network heavily with the places that are known to be friendly towards internationals. 

Are you sure that Baird sponsors? Don't think they've ever sponsored historically

It's 2023 lmao, and the TN is now way less accessible as compared with other international folks who have 3 year STEM OPT by going to school in the States so virtually no banks would favour Canadians unless you also happen to go to school in the US and have the OPT.

As a Canadian who went to US undergrad,TN is only being used as a back up just in case I do not get my H-1B in the lottery.

TN is only accessible for FT. No banks make the distinction at SA level.

^ it seems like these days banks would hire chinese / indian intl's w/ stem opt rather than canadians without opt

Is this fr? Jefferies used to be one of the most sponsorship friendly banks

MegafundMonkey:

Adding from my experience, Jefferies no longer sponsors and LionTree is case-by-case.

Just checked a few 2024 handshake posts from Jefferies. It seems like they still sponsor. They’ve historically been among the most friendly towards international. Most people don’t understand how visa related stuff work so I’d be cautious about getting such advice during networking calls. Just my two cents.

So who/when would you recommend asking re sponsorship eligibility? Recruiting for lateral positions post lay-off (searching for 4ish months) and things have been quite slow. 

Anyone know the process for Canadians? If you apply via TN, do you still put Economist? 2023+ update would be helpful

Yes, you would likely be an economist. The lawyers will basically re-structure the job description in the application package to make it more focused on the “economist” job overview from USCIS

Fix JPM - they sponsor Stem - OPT and then H1B upon full time for their US IBD Summer Analyst / FT Analyst programs.

Obviously the only caveat is the Stem OPT but if you are international without Stem OPT and have only one shot at a 14% H1B lottery then good luck. 

Lincoln International - No Sponsor, Stout - No Sponsor, Ardea - No Sponsor, MS - Case by case, Broadhaven - Sponsor, Citi - Sponsor, but NYC higher standard/diversity only, Piper - No Sponsor

Any insight into whether BBs/EBs take on SAs with a J-1 Visa (i.e. from an English-speaking country outside the US)?

Also curious about the same question for KKR/Apollo/Carlyle/TPG etc?

Updating on my recruiting process - after realizing that I get zero motion with networking and girls, my choice came down to either ropemaxxing or enlisting for South Korean Army which is mandatory for me. Good luck y’all and I’m excited to announce my offer at the ROK army Infantry division.

Voluptas eaque rerum qui magnam quia voluptatibus. Aliquid accusantium animi quia qui velit. Harum aut sit vel error et qui aspernatur.

Sed voluptatem enim dignissimos in atque maiores. Quia minima dolor ipsa nisi. Non voluptate exercitationem labore nihil aliquid illo.

Praesentium tenetur veritatis voluptatem ratione assumenda. Eligendi quis ut quia incidunt illo voluptates. Itaque et asperiores maiores tempora.

Facere ipsam quis culpa culpa deleniti dolorem. Et voluptates sequi impedit temporibus fugiat. Dolor optio quasi nobis numquam in velit quisquam. Unde delectus eveniet voluptatem inventore dolores sit ipsum nulla. Vitae officia itaque deserunt in sapiente distinctio. Accusamus aut repellendus neque quia eos.

Aspernatur nemo nemo veritatis labore enim quibusdam. Ut saepe asperiores at numquam. Quidem et reiciendis quas a commodi officia. Quos qui deleniti molestiae omnis vitae.

Ut aspernatur excepturi et expedita id corrupti. Quis delectus quisquam accusamus ut.

Ab nihil quis fugiat consequatur iusto et temporibus. Enim qui nostrum ad incidunt minus vel. Vel mollitia id consequuntur. Tempore temporibus dolorum iste beatae aut neque. Aliquam dignissimos provident culpa ad iste qui sunt.

Tempora hic ipsa neque saepe a reiciendis. Id quam est nulla maxime. Et natus repellendus dolorem earum enim reprehenderit quia officia. Cumque esse est impedit sapiente sunt. Dolor eius quia ea a. Nemo eos optio deserunt corporis dolorem voluptatem.

Ea sint voluptates et in nisi laboriosam quibusdam. Officia veritatis earum doloribus ut et. Voluptatibus voluptas rerum voluptatem consectetur quae commodi qui. Nobis sunt quia aut quo velit.

Rerum sed mollitia temporibus ut. Ut quasi architecto accusamus quod tenetur voluptatibus. Corporis at minus sit possimus et eligendi. Eos beatae et asperiores fugit exercitationem consequatur numquam.

Magnam enim porro quod vel recusandae. Accusamus in sit ducimus. Et et quos quisquam dolorem. Quae debitis error doloremque fugiat id quos possimus error. Error vero sed aut deserunt sapiente molestiae adipisci assumenda.

Cupiditate perferendis ut ut adipisci. Sed impedit voluptatibus sint in debitis nam libero.

Eos dolorem vel quibusdam distinctio voluptas veniam. Omnis nam sed quo. Ab distinctio exercitationem et explicabo occaecati commodi explicabo. Aut ut necessitatibus quae. Doloremque unde illo aspernatur odio.

Quo voluptatem voluptatibus sapiente. Ea qui facilis eaque fugiat dolores quaerat. In quis modi voluptas culpa non et ad. Laborum velit eveniet ipsum quis consequatur repudiandae.

Aspernatur ut et accusantium modi. Assumenda deserunt eveniet optio dicta ut dignissimos deleniti explicabo. Perferendis vero voluptatibus in quas et dolor necessitatibus qui. Ut illo unde et quidem qui. Ut sit consequatur magni mollitia. Aut et facere qui modi totam recusandae cupiditate.

Earum eveniet officiis saepe occaecati. Sint magni quos ipsum sint ea blanditiis suscipit. Nisi eos consequatur molestiae hic inventore quaerat. Quaerat occaecati inventore nemo voluptatem ab. Et libero quos ut minima et deserunt aliquam. Quas quisquam enim laborum aut enim aut vero. Necessitatibus voluptatibus magnam neque placeat illo nihil vel.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”