Trending Content (see all)Replies
+28
What was your first big break?

kyleluck

My first big break was back in freshman year, I managed to cold call the head of investment banking at X bank. Managed to impress him enough to say he would help in pushing my resume for an interview for that year's internship. But never got the internship nor interview for the summers...

+13
Books You Recommend

isa2130953

What books do you recommend!? Name any of your top picks - finance related or not. * Venture Deals - Brad Feld (Great for VC) * Prince of Tides - Pat Conroy (literally nothing to do with finance just a great book- sad tho) * Straight to Hell by John Lefevre (stories from a...

+10
Making the move from Valuation to IB

_Bananas_and_co_

Fresh out of an undergrad taking on a full-time Analyst opportunity in a Valuation shop. Wondering what the exit opportunities are like after 1-2 years? IB? PE? Tips to make the move? Or would going back to school make more sense before making the move.

All Pods
All Events
Recently Active Topics
Replies
Need some help for paper

potentate88

Im taking an English class right now, and our assignment on Fri is an in-class essay where we have to define a one or two-word term. I thought it would be best to define something that relates to my major, so I would like to pick a term that has something to do with finance/ibanking. Could u guys he...

DB in Europe

IBGuy

How's DB IBD is regarded in Europe? What are the exit opps? How easy/difficult is it to lateral to other places after a stint?...

Internal Strategy --> IB?

garbus222

Dear All, I'd be veeeeeeery grateful for your opinion on the following issue: I have the possibility to join Internal Strategy with ABN AMRO. To give you some idea here is the department’s snapshot: + Assignments are in the areas of strategy formulation and organisational and performance...

LA / OC I-Bankers - Where do you hang out?

lapsling

For those of you with some time to hang out, what are the hot i-banker spots in LA / Hollywood / OC?...

WallStreet Prep Course -- Just The Facts Please

Restructure This

OK, there are a million posts and threads with opinions on this topic -- I'd like to use this one to get real. Please respond if you have ACTUAL EXPERIENCE in one of the following fact patterns: -No modelling experience -Took the WallStreetPrep self-study course -Interviewers noticed and responded...

Lateral Hiring

apm

which BB firms do lateral hiring and which don't? Can anyone help? apm...

Class - What college courses in general best prepared you for IB?

thinker481

What college courses or courses in general best helped or prepare you for ibanking? and why?...

implications of a reverse merger

Sunlounger

I am reading a 10k of a company, who went public last year as a result of a "reverse merger." Can anyone explain the mechanism behind a reverse merger? Does a company simply split into two? Also, the company ended up with $100 Million of cash due to the reverse merger. Does a company usually gen...

IBD, S&T, HF

siongkoonlsk

I will be a first year undergraduate in the UK this September. My future goal is to enter a prominent hedge fund group. But after reading through the posts here, I'm still wondering, whether to choose IBD or S&T as a career start. I would like to know how will these two options affects my prospect...

Perspective

Jimbo

Or maybe about the importance of starting to save young. I have a friend here, makes a good amount of money (750kish) and has probably plateaud. Had little savings from his pre b-school career. Hes married, mid 30s, and even at a high salary like this, it's going to take him till his late 40s or 50s...

Can anyone look up latest health care league tables?

Sunlounger

I am looking for the latest health care league tables, both in the U.S. and international. If you have access to Bloomberg, please post the results here. Much appreciated, Sunlounger...

compliance on goldman sachs ibd interns

yourbag

i heard that the compliance concerning email attachment is very strict. there was once when i sent something to my non work email to work on it at home so that i dont have to stay late at office. i totally forgot about the compliance thing in the first place. could any goldman sachs people advise on...

Rich Dad Poor Dad

iBetter

I read a lot on these forums about what everyone spends their cash on. drinking, going out, generally living it large and spending it true ibanker style even at an analyst level. Just trying to gather some ideas on what people think about investments and buying up assets as opposed to blowing our s...

Survey Question for current IBers

seiye

Why did you choose the division (IBD, S&T, Research, etc.) that you are in as opposed to other divisions? ...

Blackstone/Lazard takeover?

phosho

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2007/07/12/deal-yenta-exploring-a-blackstone-lazard-union/ Thoughts on speculation?...

Quick question about FT

fnyboy4021

I know that FT recruitment generally starts in the late summer, and hopefully I will be well prepared. I am just wondering, of the conventional ways of applying, which would be the best way to increase my chances. Obviously knowing someone would be best but what would be some other options. Also, ...

Is Leveraged Finance the Toughest Investment Banking Group to Get Into?

goldson

Is Leveraged Finance the Toughest Investment Banking Group to Get Into? Also, should you know which investment banking group you want to be in when you interview?...

UBS GIG

ghosht

Gimme the story guys. good stories, horror stories, the whole deal. my good friend got placed there today... and he has no idea about it. ive heard the chemicals is pretty intense, but cap goods and metals is ok. ...

ibanking salary information

MyStudent

where can I get it? Also, is there a site that has typical ibanking interview questions? Thanks in advance!...

young MBA --> associate...how's that work out?

mj

hey folks, if you arrange to get an undergrad finance degree from a tip top school and right away get your MBA right after also from a tip top school (perhaps even at the same time, a la wharton's submat program)... and you go straight into an associate role at a BB bank in NYC... do you get paid...

Bloomy?

IBmonkeybiz44

hi guys, not sure how much of ibers usually use the bloomberg but i figured to take a shot in asking. i currently work for bloomberg in their brokerage sales division (recently promoted from spending about a year in their analyst position) and was wondering how often do you ibers use the bloomberg...

Salaries In Asia vs. US

seiye

What have you guys heard about the difference of IBD analyst salaries in Asia (HK) vs. US? ...

Barclays - Dress code at the NYC office? - Thanks

chelseafc

Anyone know the dress code at the nyc office? Thanks...

M&A careers are passé ????

Anonymous Monkey

Interesting article... http://news.efinancialcareers.co.uk/NEWS_ITEM/newsItemId-10758...

Non-IB Real Estate Salaries

huah5

Hi, I'm a summer analyst at a BB this summer in the RE group in NYC. Mostly mezzanine finance. I'm getting same comp as every other summer (65k pro-rated). I was wondering for full-timers how much the discount is on bonuses over IBD. I've been told by the other summers in my group 10-20% discount. C...

Warren Buffet vs. Private Equity

newbie2banking

What are the differences between how Warren Buffet does business, and how a large buyout fund does? Anything different apart from holding time-frame?...

Series/CPA/CFA

monkeyderivative

i am a rising junior in undergrad. am i allowed to take the series/cpa/cfa exams just so i can pass and impress the headhunters during the recruiting season even though i won't be certified? ...

Associate Bonus Numbers?

IB2007

People, lets compare the the Associate bonus numbers? I guess I will start. My full first year (not the stub) was $180k. Let the games begin!...

anonymity?

pedigreed monkey

whats the big deal about being anonymous on this forum by not revealing what school you go to or your name? im new to this forum, and as u can see im far from anonymous... but what are the reasons why people conceal their identity on this forum? if im not saying something that could be held against ...

Finish the Two Years

EBITDAMargin

I am an Analyst in the Credit Risk group at a BB. I am liking the experience and exposure that I am getting, but I'd like to be on the business side; though my ultimate goal is to work in structured credit. What are people's thoughts on the best next-move career-wise before B-school?...

Which division is best for BSchool Preparation?

seiye

Which do you think is best in preparation for business school: IBD, Research, Sales & Trading, etc.?...

is there a market for ASIA deals in the US?

ananano32

At a target school right now, looking to break into IB next year. American born Chinese, lived in Hong Kong for a few years when I was young so I'm fluent in both Mandarin and Cantonese. Did a studyabroad + internship in Hong Kong for a semester so I also know alot about China and its business envir...

JPMorgan 1st Year Associate Base Salary

gargon

Does anyone know if base for 1st yr associate at JPM is still at $95 or was there an increase for class of '07?...

Summer Analyst Q's

MetalJack

Do interviews for summer analyst positions typically involve numerous finance-related questions (DCF,EBITDA,the usual)? I thought this was pretty much a no brainer until I read Citigroup's website. In the section on investment banking internships, they have 2 former interns provide a little "diar...

Transitioning to Hong Kong in future

darkxfriend

Are there certain groups that an incoming first year analyst at a BB should try to enter to make a transfer to the Hong Kong office easier for the 3rd year?...

JP Morgan Farewell

mylifeishell

Below is an email sent out by a guy leaving JP Morgan this past week Dear Co-Workers and Managers, As many of you probably know, today is my last day. But before I leave, I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know what a great and distinct pleasure it has been to type "Today is my last day...

Firm Perception - Which one to choose?

bala11

Hey guys, I just wanted to get an idea of firm perception among young grads. So, assuming you had an offer from all of the following firms, rank the firms in order of where you would accept. Here's the list: McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Lehman Brothers, Lazard, Greenhill, Me...

'06 associate bonus figures-post them here

dr2899

post them here if you got em. goldman reported figures today, lehman and bear on thurs i believe. projects for street range for class of '05 associates have been around 270-350 this year all-in....

Debt Capital Markets Interview

ariaz

Hi all, I work at a BB firm in the market risk management group but was reached out by a lateral recruiter regarding open positions in the debt capital markets group within investment banking. This group covers energy/power companies. I have two interviews next week with an MD (30 minutes) and a VP...

Classes to help

jfahnbul

I know this may be a tired subject...but if anyone could give me some insight on what classes to take to aide me in getting into ibanking. I am an industrial engineering major and trying to decide to take econ, or accounting classes as electives. Also, are there any alums from Purdue on here that ma...

Ibanking Analyst Freetime

UES802

For any current or former analysts out there in the Ibanking world. I realize that your time spent at the office greatly outnumbers time spent at leisure, but do you have any time to perhaps workout or maybe play a sport on the weekends (obviously in a recreational sense like golf)? On the topic of ...

State Street Global Advisors

devilsppg

Does anyone know the entry-level compensation at SSGA? From what I know they are claiming to be the world's largest money manager by AUM. Much like PIMCO, Vanguard, or Fidelity they have established mutual funds, but SSGA is more of their instituionalized asset management dealing with hedge funds ...

China the new frontier?!

albatrosslee

If you don't know by know, China is going to be a big deal. Nevermind the BRIC report by Goldman in 2004 or the 11% GPD gain the past quarter, look at the record-breaking IPOs in the finance sector! M&A is also growing at over 25% each year according to Dealogic. While Chinese deals only account for...

Natixis summer internship

ElaineSeinfeld

Does anyone have any information on Natixis? I know they just got sold to one of their biggest clients, but where do they stand in the world of investment banks?...

how do you get into the good boutiques?

cain

how easy it would it be to lateral into one of the good boutiques? (greenhill, evercore etc...) and how does one go about doing this?...

Is Business Associate opportunity with IBD in BB considered back office?

knack

i got an opportunity to interview with a BB in NYC for business associate opportunity with an ibanking division. i am trying to break in to ibanking as an analyst and was applying for various opening to get my foot in the door. this was one such call that i got. do you think this would be a good sta...

Confronting your Boss

tenchixkid87

So here's the deal. I'm working as a summer analyst at a boutique bank right now and was basically told throughout the interview process that what I would be doing during the summer is performing a first year analyst role. Further, they said that being at a small bank would allow me to learn more ...

new financial satire

Grinder86

I just found this blog on the internet. There are only 3 posts so far but I think it could have some potential so I am deciding to share it. http://friendlytakeover.blogspot.com/...

WEEKEND hours

europeananon

What's the story on WEEKEND hours in particular? Not just that one weekend when you were staffed on two live deals, but in general whats par? Could you say, skip off for two hours Sunday afternoon for religious services and return for the rest of it? cheers all. ...

Business-only schools offer great i-bank recruiting?....surprisingly not

Roller4Life

I have heard of two Boston based business-only colleges, Bentley and Babson. As I understand Bentley has strengths in finance and accounting while Babson is known for entrepreneurship studies. If these two schools only offer business majors and therefore are comprised of only business students, I ...

Do analysts ever go postal?

aspiringmonkey

Any stories you heard? or actually witnessed? i.e. someone says screw this I quit, then throws his monitor at the MD or something along those lines....

Can you get drunk in ibanking?

sleepyguyb

Not trying to be funny. Say you get a text saying they need you at work in an hour but you thought you woudn't be needed tonight so you went out and had some drinks, enough where you couldn't do your work. Does this happen? I know many med residents can't drink during certain times....

Deutsche Bank - How is analyst compensation?

Lordofrings

Does DB give interns and analysts nice perks? How is analyst compensation? Everyone talks about GS and others, but DB doesn't get mentioned much. Any thoughts on Deutsche Bank?...

Opinion - Typical ibanker?

jv112

What makes up the typical i banker. Normally from ivies, states, or even high school? Common to have MBA or are undergrads able to make it up the ladder without going for an advanced degree. ...

Interviewing is Like Having Sex, sort of

tritanchallenger

Early this afternoon I had a phone interview with a ~$850MM PE firm. At the end of the interview, the interviewer concluded that we need to do a face-to-face meeting, so that's good news. After being in banking for a while (I thought I was going to make a career of it) I can tell you, those PE g...

What happens to quitters?

luke77

I'm getting ready to start this summer at a BB bank, and we all know that the burnout factor at banks is pretty high. A certain percentage of analysts simply can't take/don't want to take the hours or lifestyle in banking and end up quitting in the first few months. What do these guys do? Doesn't it...

Is someone willing to review this for me?

eyedea

Will someone here verify that I linked everything in the statements correctly for 12 months worth of data. I'm a novice undergrad, and if done correctly this can get me in the door with a small boutique. This will only take a couple of minutes for someone who knows their accounting. It would be grea...

ibanking question

bbarker

I'm a student at a mid-level ivy with a 3.8 in a double major in Math and History. I am interested in ibanking. Please keep in mind that I know almost nothing about the ibanking process and its competitiveness. First, is a 3.8 OK? I know people in pure liberal arts (ie, not math or science) with ...

Simple question, not self-validation, who has leveraged PWN into IBD??

[email protected]

Hey guys, I know that a lot of people ask these questions just so they can masturbate to the response when a hs student tells them, "chances are good." However, that is most certainly not me. I just finished my sophomore year at a top-five liberal arts college, and I am working at MS PWM this summ...

Class of 2006 Placement

joe34502

Since i've heard that a lot of PE/HF placement has been early this year, especially among the bigger shops, I thought we could start this thread to keep the board updated with what groups have been placing the best for PE/HF this year....

Is Moelis' new firm really called Moelis Advisors?

scottydoesntknow

At least they got in on the BS-Hilton deal....

Comp Analysis - Questions ?

netking007

I was wondering if some one could guide me on how comps are built at a BB. 1. Is the data pulled from financial reports or is it taken directly from CapitalIQ, Factset, etc ? 2. What all has to be done to scrub the comps ? Are steps mentioned below all that is needed ? - Normalizing Earnings (Ad...

Training in Toronto

banker

Can anyone shed some light on the training/orientation program for analysts in Toronto at the Big 5 banks. Do they do a good job of preparing you for day-to-day tasks? What's usually covered in training? Do you go through how to build comps, DCFs, LBOs, etc. How important is the orientation ...

from nyc to a regional office in europe

Eskorbuto

so i'm currently interning at a top bb this summer in nyc. i love the job, but i don't think i want to stay in nyc, and would like to move to a regional office in europe for ft (not london). what are my chances of that happening? how should i approach this? i don't want to say anything yet to my man...

Fixed Income analytics

naija

Can anyone who works with or close to a FI analytics group elaborate on what they do and the skills/knowledge required to be succesful in the group. Are strong programming skills required? Naija....

Lehman's numbers are out

sleepyguyb

100 billion dollars to 1st yrs....

HF over an ibank?????

rhuelu

this is a hypothetical...would you rather start a career in an ibank or a small HF (say 100 mm AUM but growing). HF job pays less (but potential in 3 years is good) and has normal hours (9-5). Your thoughts? ...

TO Current Bankers--Private Placement--Advice?

richyla

If I wanted to introduce an angel investor with a CEO of a company that wants to do a PPM, do I need a brokers license? How much are the fees typically charged (does 8% of what is being invested seem right?)? What books/cases can I read so that I can structure the deal smoothly? thank you very much ...

Life

dixm655

As some of you may already know, I am a high school kid that knows absolutely nothing about investment banking on any level (hope that made you a bit more happier). With everything that comes up upon high school graduation, such as parties and all, there is also university planning, and on a more p...

Getting the interview - Percent of people receiving offers?

Lordofrings

Do people know approx. what percentage of people who are able to get an interview at a place like goldman do end up receiving offers for a summer analyst position? In other words, how much of the battle is just getting the interview? Thanks...

Bear's Numbers

TexasIB

Aren't they out yet? Can anyone comment on first year analysts? ...

Good Boutique Banks

bullmetaljacket

I was wondering if some of you guys could list some of the top boutique banks, namely the ones in NYC. I'd like to apply to some for an internship this summer. Any help would be great. ...

ThinkEquity Partners

burnonedown

Anyone know anything about them? They recruit at my school on the west coast. Reputation? Salary? Workload? ETC?...

Wow, I am in a BIG dilema...Cornell help!

DeviousBanker

I am at a Community College in California, my plan was to do 2 years, and then apply for transfer at: Stanford, UCB-Haas, Brown, and Cornell. I just finished my first year at Community College so I said what the hell and just applied to Cornell, the reason why I only applied there was becaue that ...

Need advice - what to choose

mpin

Hello guys. I'm currently working in a small "niche" IB boutique, am a 1st year associate and would like to change jobs. What would you recommend - to take an offer for a 3rd year analyst position in a bulge bracket bank, offer for 1st year associate position in a 2nd/3rd tier IB (think Dresdner, ...

Do I have any luck getting into IB? Here are my..

greenbullets

Hi, I am a rising senior at a non-target school. My GPA is below a 3.4 but above 3.0. I'm interning at a small firm in RMBS/CDO. I want to get into S&T. Do I have any luck getting into S&T straight outta college?? Please comment. Thank you....

MS M&A - Moving onto goldman?

ivybanker

If you were at Morgan Stanley IBD in the M&A group for the summer, would you bother moving onto goldman?...

Full timers, how big is your class? Do you know how it compares to last year's?

shapo

I will start. 72 for NYC - DB. Much smaller than last year's...

SEO for Asians - Program hard to get in?

initial_d

Is this program as hard to get into for Asians as simply applying to a BB through the regular application process? Natural logic would dictate that Asians competing with Asians would just lead to fiercer competition. The reason I'm really interested is because I really don't think I have a chance ...

I'm I Wasting my Time? Honest advice please...

eyedea

I've been reading and doing a lot of research preparing myself for ib interviews, the more research I do the less confident I feel of my chances. I come from a non-target school, I'm sure no one here has ever heard of it. I have an F and two Cs on my transcript. I do have a finance internship at a f...

HF now, worried for next summer

stockone50

Hey guys, I'm a rising junior and fortunately have an awesome internship at a well-known HF. I'm doing work that is putting me ahead of the game (modeling, etc) and gaining great exposure. However, I'm already worried for next summer. Just looking at my academics, my grades aren't at par to easily g...

Anyone from Cornell U here? Give us your experiences!

showmewhatyougot

Hey, if anyone from Cornell U is reading this, please give us your experiences in your i-banking endeavors (such as ease of getting recruited, number of recruiters on campus, your starting salary + compensation, etc). thanks...

Pitchbook presentation

zx8346

Just wondering who usually delivers the pitchbook presentation in a meeting ? Associate or VP ? Thanks...

Investment Banking: Myths, and Truths

sharp_in1008

I had been excited about working in IB for a long time. Over the same course i heard a lot about it, sometimes from friends who knew someone, who in turn knew someone in IB or forums like this one. Having entered IBD of a BB bank in London and having very close friends at most of them, i thought of ...

PE Placement from GS

ks229

Anyone have any idea where GS placed analysts this year for PE? Which groups at GS tend to be the strongest for this?...

SMH Capital (Sanders Morris Harris)

AnacotSteel

Any info. on SMH Capital? Specifically their NYC I-Banking location. Any info./insight on them would be great! Thanks...

Should I apply to this internship?

TheBenevolent

this is a 12 month long financial advisor/sales assistant internship, i just finished my first year, i applied to several boutique investment banks and so far was invited to two interviews but didn't get an intern offer yet. this internship will probably be a little easier to get, BUT the question i...

Analyst Bonus Numbers

IBanker888

Alright, so what are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year Analysts making in bonus this year? This posting is for CONFIRMED bonus numbers only, not rumors. Please specify whether you are posting a "top" number or "median" number. ...

Wasting my time?

barbaricyawp

I am currently a rising 2L, but I have recently decided not to continue my legal education. Before applying to school, I debated between the law and IB. I now know I should have pursued the latter. I have a liberal arts major, from a non-target school, though I am looking right now at some progra...

Associate #'s

vns201

I see many posts on analyst figures. I have an offer from a top 5 bank to come in as a first year associate. Can someone give me a sense of what (base and bonus) first year associates got last year? thanks a ton - appreciate the info. ...

Should I study?

lancaster41

Training starts very soon for me at a BB. Should I spend part of my last days of freedom freshing up on various topics, as I will freely admit I forgot alot of what I learned over the last 4 years, or is it safe to assume they will teach/ refresh me on what I need to know? ...

Series 63 - FICC S&T

Dfan123

would there be any advantage to getting this if I wanted to work in S&T? How about the series 3 if I wanted to work in FICC S&T?...

Headhunters - Identify talent

CDNmonkey

How do headhunters identify talent? Aside from bonus numbers, do they have any way to identify top people within banks at the analyst level? I've always wondered about this....

Sweet Cheddar

monkey_scribe

Anybody hear anything cocnrete on the fcking numbers yet?...

UBS Numbers

Patrick Bateman

Can anyone confirm $90,000 top end for first years at UBS?...

PWM Total Comp

redroover1

Does anyone have any idea about the bonus for a 1st yr analyst in PWM at a BB?? Trying to decide between offers, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

Pages