Trending Content (see all)Replies
+91
Is anyone else welcoming a recession?

iBankedUp

Sans Trump and his legionaries, feels like most are ready for a slight contraction right before things consolidate. Markets are up despite the inverted yield curve, but things are almost certainly likely to get worse before they get better, right? Trump goon Moore could barely even deny...

+76
New WSO Logo - Branding / Icon

WallStreetOasis.com

Fellow Primates - so it's been about ~8(?) years since we've taken a look at our logo/branding and we think it's time for a refresh -- our designers almost vomit when they look at our current icon and we have some major initiatives coming where a refreshed look would help. ...

+74
People making $300k+, how do you spend your money?

allinamd

Curious about people on this forum in finance who are making anywhere north of $300k. How do you spend your money on a month-month basis? Do you live in a luxury apartment or somewhere cheaper to build out savings? Mortgage? Do you eat out at fancy restaurants every week, still cook, or have...

All Pods
Recently Active Topics
Replies
HTC Evo or IPhone 4G

Jerome Marrow

HTC Evo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24r6q4clez8 or IPhone 4g http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoqh27E6OuU I'm about to switch phones and don't know which one to pick. I'm leaning heavily towards the Evo, but may hold out until the Samsung 4G phone comes on the market. I hate Jobs, but the Iphon...

Best Location - Post Banking

weeds499

I recently left banking and now have a life again. I was living in Tribeca in a pretty nice doorman/elevator building the past year. I was usually in the downtown area when going out, but am having trouble deciding on location. E Village/LES buildings seem to be very small for the money - even thou...

Ivy league networking in NYC

Brady4MVP

Question for ivy league alums living in NYC: are there a lot of networking events and mixers for ivy alums? are they good ways to meet new people? ...

Danielle Staub Sex Tape

FezzTek

A forum discussing Danielle Staub's sex tape being released today. The economic changes that could possibly occur from this release are endless. ...

Where the Job Openings Are Now

didi2008

By JOE LIGHT The number of job openings grew in April, indicating a continued loosening of the job market after the worst downturn in decades. Employers had a seasonally-adjusted 3.1 million openings on the last business day of April, up about 300,000 from March and about 800,000 from last summer's...

Is Finance Saturated?

econ

The sense I get from most of you on this forum, is that finance is incredibly saturated. When I ask how someone lands a mediocre AM job, I'm usually told that it's incredibly tough, you have to know the right people, have the right degrees, get lucky, etc. I'm posting this, because I'd like to get...

Rambo

TNA

Who here thinks Rambo is awesome. I don't know, but I am watchig the second one and felt the urge to bring this up. ...

Time for golf - 1st and 2nd year analysts ever play golf?

apple1634

Do you 1st and 2nd year analysts in NYC ever play any golf? I'm starting in IB at a BB and trying to decide if I should bring my clubs with me to NYC. ...

+2
Funny Spoof - BP Spills Coffee

MezzKet

I had a pretty good laugh... ...

Those Poor Gulf Coast Walruses (Walri?)

Revsly

Ladies and Gentlemen, we can all reast at ease, BP has everything under control, they've been prepared for this scenario for years. That's right, no one should be concerned, BP has a very thorough Response Plan in the event of a Gulf Coast oil spill like this one: [quote] The Gulf Coast Walrus, li...

John Tabacco's "The Daily Short Report"

blong131

Hi, Recent lurker of the forums, and i decided to join because i felt i finally had something to contribute. I recently landed an internship with John Tabacco (CEO, LocateStock), and I'm currently managing his blog. I'd really appreciate any commentary on all aspects of the blog. Could you see your...

Justice, Capitalism and Bhopal: the Cost of Life?

kafkaesque

Many people on this forum might not be aware of what is often cited as the world's worst industrial disaster. In December 1984, a pesticide plant owned and operated by Union Carbide (since acquired by Dow Chemicals) released methyl isocyanate gas and other toxins, resulting in the exposure of about...

+1
Apple IPad - Tablet

2007Grad

Looks pretty sick. http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video...

Anyone need roommate in Manhattan?

nycibanker4444

Just moved to NYC after graduating to start at a boutique IB. Looking for a place to stay, short term or long term, ASAP. Open to anywhere in Manhattan. Willing to spend 1000-1200. Anyone need a roommate? Send me a PM....

Too Hot For Jamie Dimon---Hot Banker Chick Returns......

Gekko21

Claiming she's tarnishing the financial industry's reputation, ex-Citibanker Debrahlee Lorenzana's current employer, JPMorgan Chase, now threatens to fire her for speaking to the press, the Voice learned today. Debrahlee Lorenzana is the sexy former Citibanker whose story we broke on the cover of t...

Video Interview of the Hot ex-Citi Banker

San Franciscan

I'm sure many of you saw this on Dealbreaker yesterday, but here's an MSNBC interview of Debrahlee Lorenzana claiming she's NOT taking advantage of her situation with Citi. Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy Thoughts?...

iPhone4 - Unveiled

MezzKet

Follow the iPhone 4 updates currently being unveiled @ endgaget... This thing is amazing, so excited to have it come out. http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/steve-jobs-live-from-wwdc-2010/?sort=newest&refresh=60 update on features (quick notes): - New design: all glass front and back with metal ...

Some Top Notch Cougar Bait

Victor252

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704513104575256452390636786.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_RIGHTTopCarousel_1 "Ann Gottlieb, the "nose" who helped create Obsession for Men, thinks there could be a number of factors in the fragrance that wild animals might find irresistible. "It's a combination of ...

"Stimulus Surprise: Companies Retrench When Government Spends" - HBS Study

MezzKet

Through a relationship I established a number of years back with a Gold / Treasury analyst (old guy, tracking both since the early 60s), I've developed a strong set of views on government spending programs and their real effects on growth: Public Spend Crowds out the Private Sector. To boil it down...

List of common perceptions on WSO

PiperJaffrayChiang

Was wondering if we could establish a list of common perceptions (true or not) tossed around on WSO. One day I'll take a look and either laugh or kick myself for not listening. examples: - Must do PE pre-MBA or it'll be hard to find a PE gig post-MBA. - Capital markets pigeonholes you and you have...

+2
NY Times: U.S. Added 431,000 Jobs in May

Victor252

So as this article, points out, only 41,000 jobs were created in May. But as anyone can tell you, the real unemployment rate is over ten percent because we don't count most of the college grads who don't have jobs. 8 million people lost their jobs in this recession so we need another (8M/41K) 195 ...

+1
Are the elderly ruining our economy?

Anonymous Monkey

Anatole Kaletsky argues that baby boomers are ruining their country by voting for politicians who put more money into healthcare and pensions (programs for the elderly) as opposed to education and other programs towards the future. He makes a good argument. Thoughts? [quote] Why, for example, are ...

So Citi bankers hate curves?

dyor

No, not the kind you plot in axes. Apparently Citi fired a young woman named Debrahlee Lorenzana, who is filing a lawsuit because she says they fired her coz she's too hot. Apparently, Lorenzana was told "she should not wear classic high-heeled business shoes, as this purportedly drew attention ...

Premeir World Cup Players Dropping like Flies

Revsly

Well folks, I couldn't be happier I decided not to bet on the Ivory Coast's ~30:1 odds to win the World Cup the other day. With the likes of both Toure's, Kalou & of course Drogba, they appeared to have a solid chance to make a splash. That took a major beating today with the announcement that Drogb...

WSO Investment Forum

drexelalum11

This group is designed to provide a forum to share investment ideas and soliciting feedback, along the lines of Value Investors Club, SumZero, and Distressed Debt Investors Club....

+1
CORPORATE SHAKE-UP

Dealem41

CORPORATE SHAKE-UP If you've ever worked for a boss who reacts before getting the facts and thinking things through, you will love this! Arcelor-Mittal Steel, feeling it was time for a shake-up, hired a new CEO. The new boss was determined to rid the company of all slackers. On a tour o...

Website of the wife of a senior banker at CS..lol.

WestHudson

http://www.meeragandhi.com/ This is the website of the wife of a senior CSFB senior banker: Vikram Ghandi...

When you see it...

rooster

I don't know if any of you guys came across this ad, but IMO it rivals the infamous Darden Doucher. My guess is that it popped up due to some algorithm that found the word curves in the post, but if a gym for overweight 40+ year old women has resorted to advertising on WSO, I'd say its a good candid...

SWEET BRO ALERT: Where to find Busch Light in NYC?

Sussudio

I've been here 6 hours and I'm bout to take a dump on the Duane Reade counter for not carrying Busch....

Best I-Banking Computer

flyer456654

Hey guys, I was just wondering what the best computer for I-banking analysts and associates is? Would a mac be the best for the shear fact that Keynotes is the best program out there for creating presentations? Would a PC be the best because they are more widely used and accessible in the trading ...

+1
Israel attack on ships carrying humanitarian aid?

beatallica

Justified? "They were attacked with knives, with iron clubs..." http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/10196351.stm http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2010/05/201053113252437484.html...

What is the right amount to pay bankers? TED Blog

Rana Clamitans

http://blog.ted.com/2010/05/dan_ariely_asks.php Thoughts? Cliffs: - Researchers posed an experiment - Three reward categories: low, medium, high - Results found that those with the highest rewards performed the worst...

Ghosts in the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building

Marcus_Halberstram

Classic. ...

MD doesn't capitalize my name :(

Barbell Capital

Got staffed on a deal. The MD doesn't capitalize my name when he mentions me in "Reply To All" e-mails :( He capitalizes the names of his partners and people from target organization. So when everyone forwards e-mails around, my name starts with lower-case. Feels bad :( Do you think it is appropr...

Barcap drug test

fratdaddy

I will be a SA at Barcap IBD this summer. Can anyone who has worked at Barclays Capital as a SA let me know if you were drug tested during the course of the internship (other than the pre-employment drug screening)? thanks....

Offshore Advantages

Carter39

When the world is going offshore, the incidence of offshore banking has risen. Offshore banking has found many followers of late. The offshore banking offers an unrestricted environment where there is freedom from excessive taxation and bureaucracy. By investing in offshore banks, one can ensure acc...

Wallpaper thread

kmzz

post up your wallpaper/desktop...

Dumb politicians subpoena Buffet

coffeebateman

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article7139615.ece These guys are so dumb....

Who's that hot blonde anchor on CNBC?

giants92

I've never seen her before (not that I'm an avid watcher by any means, but I watch a fair amount)....

Members working in Institutional Sales

TNA

Hey guys, I am working right now, but very interested in institutional sales in an associate level role. Wondering if any board members are currently working and would like to talk. PM me if you are. Preparing and doing my due diligence for the 2011 recruiting season. ...

Which Is Worse - Laziness or Incompetence?

ElijahPrice

Say you are a boss (or maybe you already are). You have an employee who's brilliant, gets his work done very fast, solves complex problems, etc, but is very apathetic and always leaves at 5PM. Basically like Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting - while complicated for most people, all of the work is "a ...

+2
Crime in Chicago

Brady4MVP

To all those trolls who constantly argue about how "awesome" the Chicago lakefront is during the summer, here is a sobering reminder of the awfully high crime rate in the city. I live near north avenue beach and personally witnessed hundreds of thugs roaming in my neighborhood. http://secondcityc...

Traders Icing Traders

rooster

All I could picture while reading this was every single trader on the floor of the NYSE walking around with a bottle of smirnoff ice discreetly hidden in their pocket. http://www.asylum.com/2010/05/24/icing-smirnoff-ice-drinking-game-wall-street/...

What would you do with a 3 month sabbatical?

quant2000

I remember reading on this site that a senior banker said that he would rather be strung out on a beach in southeast asia if it weren't for the money. Now, that seems like a good start but what would you do with the other 2 months? =D...

+1
Bumper sticker I saw today:

MITdude

Bumper sticker I saw today on a flawless orange Lambroghini of all things: "I'll take my freedom, my guns, and my money, and you can keep your change." Had a good laugh at that one. ...

Are you skeptical if opportunities come too easily to you?

RE_Banker

This goes for: Jobs Girls Free stuff like sporting tickets etc. It's not an insecurity thing. I've just had to work hard to get to where i am today and I always think there are strings attached. ...

+1
Collapse of Complex Societes - A Good Read

MezzKet

I think this book is a little outdated, maybe a bit academical, but is one of the greatest in analyzing the collapse of complex societies and even more importantly, relevant for today's economic woes. Simply titled "The Collapse of Complex Socieities by Joseph Tainter", I believe it was written i...

the God warrior

dagro

one of the better laughs i've had all month. makes you wonder how many crazies like that there are around, and how much worse/better off the world would be had they not had their religion to pacify them/channel their insecurities... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3mDLsyn6ns...

Best Churches for Networking?

MarkyMarkWahlbergWasAwesome

Alright, so don't instantly stone me as a complete sacrilegious piece of shit, but I was looking at the "Do you believe in God" post, and realized that, as bankers and those in finance get older, they typically have weekends off and some might actually go to church regularly. Taking that into acc...

Fringe Season Finale: Mindf*cked?

kafkaesque

Don't know how many people on this forum watch Fringe, but if any of you saw the season finale, were you expecting the mad turn of events? Any predictions as to what's to come? Interestingly, I started reading up a lot more on quantum physics and string theory after the show, and theoretically, it ...

See-through white/light blue shirt = cheap material or normal?

squirtle

What brand shirts do you recommend that do not expose the undershirt? My white and light blue shirts are all thin (or cheap) enough to where you can easily see the undershirt. This was never a problem during interview season since I'd always have a jacket on, but I'm wondering if this will be an iss...

So begins the double dip

blastoise

Saviour Obama bucks about to run out and China + EU slowing down. New taxes will push Aggregate demand further left. Cancellation of Ghost Whisperer More lil banks about to implode. North Koreas lil kim saying SOUTH KOREA IF YOU PUNISH US WE BLOW UP YOUR BASES YOU DON'T KNOW THE POWER OF THE DA...

Roll Call

monty09

I am selling 50s on how many people will reply... group is almost at 200 so guessing 20% will reply.... if anyone wants other side I am game 26, State School, BA in Economics, sub 3.0 GPA, energy trader for a Utility ...

0 10
What not to say in a energy trading interview....

monty09

1. I will be the best investment banker for your firm... 2. I want to work here for 2 years then jump to Centaurus Advisors 3. What type of exit ops will I have? 4. How fast can I trade fin? 5. I am a great poker player 6. How many real time interns do ya hire? (just kidding, Guenter)...

LA to boycott Arizona

blastoise

Let the trade wars begin! https://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/12/los-angeles-city-council-votes-boycott-arizona-immigration-law/ OK some Q's 1.) Would this violate Constitutional Law? I thought states couldn't boycott other states or maybe that is impose tariffs? lolz 2.) Will this make oi...

[closed] KKR internships

WishYouWereHere

How to get?...

"how much" can I round up?

robes

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, bur i kinda fucked up a little this sem, and lost my 3.7+, and am now down to like 3.66 ish, (might even go down to 3.656 after another grade comes out) ....can i STILL round up to 3.7? I mean i know it makes sense mathematically, but wouldnt HR be li...

Champ League Final (on Fox)

h.e.pennypacker

Anybody else able to watch the Champ League final right now? Who are you rooting for? I'm pulling for Bayern (I'm as much a fan of them as I am Juventus). I'm also hoping that enough Inter players get hurt, that they actually have to play an italian player. ...

Any trading openings?

Jiggy

Any opening or firms hiring that any of you are hearing about? Hoping to break in soon, since my opportunity to break in on the Arch Coal desk was killed due to a hiring freeze a year ago to the date. Any tulane grads in here? ...

Sex and Dating

Dealem41

Let's hear the male perspective on this article .... Sex & Dating Starving artist An SAT tutor extols the virtues of drinking versus dining. By Julia Allison Illustration by Emily Flake “They say write what you know,” explains Paul Janka, the author of a 20-page instructional treatise How t...

Smiling Darden dude in the banner ads

TNA

Is it just me or does anyone else want to punch that guy in the face. ...

0 21
IS/IT guys

Cmoss

Just wondering if there are any IT guys lurking around the site. I for one enjoy being on the outside looking in with dreams of wall street. ...

Transfer (Michigan -> Duke) ?

quartz

Hi everyone, I am considering transferring to Duke from the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor). I have already thought about this choice based on cost, fit, and the like. I want to get your perspectives on whether or not I should transfer based only on how it will affect my future career in the f...

The Robin Hood Tax

pinkbanker

Thought you might find this mildly amusing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYtNwmXKIvM http://robinhoodtax.com/...

how many months rent is deposit?

kop

Will be moving to NYC this summer. Was wondering how much I should be expecting to pay in deposit for an apartment. 2 months? 3 months? Thanks...

Disposable Income

whats-the-damage

Here's the situation: I'll be starting my FT position at a BB next month and I will be staying at home with my parents (so no rent or related expenses). So basically 100% of my income will be disposable. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm gonna do with the money, but I'd like some other ideas. ...

+1
This song is DAA SHIIT!!!

beatallica

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPUNS38LQX0 I must have heard this atleast 50 times today!!!!...

Advice Please - Rising junior at College of New Jersey

OCB1897

I am rising junior at The College of New Jersey, which has a highly respected business program; nevertheless, I do not believe it is a "target" school. I have just recently finished an internship at Merrill Lynch in there Global Wealth Management Division. I am now beginning a PWM internship at UB...

UBS LA should stock up on candals

blastoise

Arizona threatens to cut off power to LA. An Arizona state official has threatened to shut off Los Angeles' Arizona-based electricity supply in retaliation for the city's decision to boycott the state. Arizona Corporation Commissioner Gary Pierce told L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa in a letter th...

Read WSJ for FREE

mMilken

Don't know if I am the only one who didn't know this, but here you go: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-read-wsj-free...

Giving Workplace Flexibility a New Meaning

rooster

While most of us are slaving away in cubes or at our group's pod, the guys at the new Macquarie office in Sydney are spending their days in quite a different setting. The article mentions that the building consultant's idea was to encourage and facilitate a new way of working, and many seem to be ta...

Chicago: Best summer city in the U.S.

Derivatives

For those of you who are tired of the miserable NYC summers, I highly recommend that you check out Chicago. Great weather, not too humid, SICK scene at north avenue and oak street beaches, rush street, cubs games, fun bars in wrigleyville and lincoln park, tons of hot chicks, street festivals. there...

Is Dwight Howard still a Superman?

GoodBread

After posting up Clark Kent/Lois Lane numbers yesterday, what do you guys think of this guy?...

Is James still a King?

Kwameko

To all the basketball fans out there that watched Celtics v. Cavaliers game 5, what did you think of LBJ's performance? Is his bags already packed for NYC or just a bad night? Seemed like he just wasnt interested. ...

+1
Why - Avatars

WishYouWereHere

Why do so many people on here have avatars or names that imply they're the next Gordon Gekko or Patrick Bateman? They were created as cautionary tales/caricatures of greed and materialism rather than people to be glorified, yet everyone here seems to aspire to them. Do people not understand that tho...

College Workload / Stress ?

QueensFinest

I graduated from Carnegie Mellon. The workload was tough. I have heard that Chicago, CalTech, Cornell, and Cooper Union is tough as well. That leads me to wonder - do the top D-1 colleges (HYPS, Duke, etc) have high workloads? On one side of the argument, I was annoyed throughout college because I...

Strange Educational Backgrounds

Seigniorage

I thought this would a fun and peculiar topic. As we all know (or you should), formal education is only a drop in the bucket of technical skills required in high finance. To that end, I've come across people with some strange backgrounds. Tell me who you've come across. tie for the strangest I know...

+1
Bro's vs. Douche Bags

Stringer Bell

So I consider myself a bro & got in an argument with some wanna be MMA douche last weekend at a bar, saying that he in fact was a bro. I said that he was not a bro, but actually a "douche-bag". So what do the bro's on here constitute a bro & what a douche bag? ...

Skiing in Europe - Which Alps are the pimpest?

Franky

So I'm going to be heading over to Europe next January to get my ski-shit on and want to know where the party is at. Which ones should I go to? Swiss, Austrian, French or... ? Ta!...

need help here

missisland

Hi monkeys, I need some help here. I have a boyfriend who works in investment banking. We both graudated last year and this is his first year in IB. He was quite excited about the job but he is getting more and more despressed these days. Basically he works 90-100hours per week and sometimes wor...

Higher GPA vs Tougher Course Load

coffeebateman

OK, so now that my GPA is set in stone for FT recruiting, I need to think about course rigor. Basically, I have a 3.4 right now. If I get a 4.0 in every class the next two semesters I can pull it up to a 3.5 (quite possible as I've been doing it for the last 3 semesters). Right now I am registered ...

Insightful Memo from Howard Marks

mr1234

I found this on zero hedge blog today: http://www.zerohedge.com/article/deep-thoughts-howard-marks-3 This memo articulates investor rationality in debt markets pretty well. He seems to understand what a lot of investors just don't. I thought it was pretty informative. ...

+5
Banker Meets Football Coach Video

hosacanseco

Another great video from http://beedeekay.com/. Especially for those of us in NY/NJ moaning about the new stadium ticket cost. ...

Unlockwallstreet.com

coffeebateman

Has anyone seen this site? I've been trying to look at the salaries but of course they want you to jump through 50 hoops. If anyone has access I'd appreciate it if they could pull some stuff for me....

EUROTRIP!

Banker88

Starting work FT in July. My buddy and I from NYC wanna plan a trip to Europe for about 25 days in June. Thinking of flying into Spain, then doing the usual tour of France, Germany, Amsterdam, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, and perhaps ending in Greece. For those of you who have done the Eurotrip thi...

Funny as shit videos!

pinkbanker

It's simple really, if you have seen a funny as shit video, post it here. ...

+1
Cameron is UK Prime Minister

pinkbanker

Well gents, David Cameron was just named the British PM by his distant relative, the Queen. What does this mean for banking in the UK ? (I have a feeling that their Conservative party is more liberal than our Democratic party. At least they are better than the full on socialist Labour party. ...

Tax The Hell Out Of Wall Street

Ortsman1

I'm not a big fan of posting straight links, but my brother e-mailed me this post from Mark Cuban's blog from a few days ago. I'm interested in what people have to say about this. http://blogmaverick.com/2010/05/06/tax-the-hell-out-of-wall-street/...

Why is there no report post button?

coffeebateman

I've seen some crazy bitch posting crap with links to her dumb watch site for 3 days now....

NHL Stanley cup playoffs

Elmejor

Sup guys, been lurking for a while. Anyway, are any of you guys hockey fans? The playoffs so far have been amazing. Top 3 seeds in the east gone. The caps got pushed out of the playoffs while being the most succesfull team this year by a team that barely qualified itself for the postseason. ...

Price of Power

MarkyMarkWahlbergWasAwesome

Anyone know where I can find a reliable estimate of historical prices of power? I'm mainly looking for prices in the Cali region during the energy crisis in 2000ish. Figure it should be out there somewhere, just don't know where to look......

Pages