Silver BananaTopicReplies
Proprietary Traders

trade4size

Use this group to discuss anything related to proprietary trading and as a networking tool....

WSO Moderators

WallStreetOasis.com

Please read the WSO Mod Guidelines in detail. Each user that now violates the WSO User Guidelines will be given their own thread in the Moderator group for tracking purposes. As you find violations for that user on the flagged content table, please include them in the same thread and then use th...

Monkey Techey

webthingee

This is where the tech geeks can talk about the guts and the glory that makes wallstreetoasis.com so great!...

The Dark Knight

ST2008

What do you guys think of it? Classic....

Blackberrys

lotus6

When you guys received your blackberrys, did you switch your number to the provided phone or did you receive a new number and kept your original phone for personal use?...

Online Poker - What program do you use?

Anonymous Monkey

Anyone into online poker here? What program do you guys use and what stakes do you usually play? I am registered on Fulltilt and play pretty low stakes as of now --- getting a feel for it. ...

"only US fixed income security with a higher yield now than in '07"

prospie

I was in the other room and overheard a reporter say something like this on CNBC. That may not be the exact quote, but I think it's correct. Does "US fixed income security" mean treasuries only? Or does that include other bonds like munis? what were they talking about? anyone? jimbo?...

Relationships - Good chemistry?

GameTheory

Just curious, and I fully realize that this topic has been glazed over peripherally through the course of some of the threads in this forum. But based on my own recent personal experiences and conversations, I was wondering: 1) In terms of your criteria in a significant other, do you require a hig...

Housing projects in NYC

Brady4MVP

An excellent discussion on this topic is below. http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5530...

Obamanomics is a recipe for recession

Brady4MVP

for all of us in finance, be VERY scared of an obama presidency. his economic plan will destroy this country's economy and send us back to the 1970's, or even worse. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121728762442091427.html?mod=opinion_main_commentaries...

Chicago's 2016 Olympics bid

Brady4MVP

Currently, Chicago is the frontrunner for the 2016 Olympics bid. If Obama wins the white house, the outcome will be all but certain. If Chicago gets the bid, I predict that ten years from now, Chicago will be seen as the world's cultural and social center, along with London and Paris. It's already...

NYC's horrible stench during summer

Brady4MVP

I was talking to my friend last night who lives in NYC, and he mentioned how horrible the stench is in the city during summer. He described it as a mixture of feces, urine, and decaying garbage. I guess the main reason for this is the fact that NYC does not have alleys and people put their garbage b...

I guess I've been unbanned! [dr mark klein]

mark klein MD

What I could do is rub it in Patrick's face that I won the vote and continue to be a huge prick. Which I will, to some extent. But for once I'm gonna make some concessions: 1. Some people have been talking about how I like to "give it to you straight." Most of the time, this is true, but occasi...

Excellent article about NJ people

mark klein MD

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2008/07/28/club-tells-fat-women-to-go-home/ Club tells ‘fat’ women to go home By Elaine Byrne 00577631_cropped.jpgFEMALE clubbers were refused entry into Havana nightclub on Saturday night for being too fat. Police were called to calm the situation outside the H...

+3
Why hasn't Mark Klein MD been banned?

VCmonkey

Seriously, this guy must be the biggest loser on the planet. He's a doctor in his sixties with serious insecurity issues - he insults everyone on this board for no reason and enjoys continuously putting others down. It's not like he's an MD at KKR or anything - just some doctor who is retired and cl...

Ohhh Yaaaa!

Anonymous Monkey

Have any of you "bankers" heard of Russell Oliver? People in NYC might have never heard of him, but in Canada, he has quite a cult following. In Canada, he is one of the wealthiest people in Canada, due to the Communist Tax rates... He is the owner of Oliver's Jewellers, a piece of $hit Jewellery bu...

Ill Pay YOU $10K-$50K (PM me)

rearden

Yes, you heard correctly: I'll pay a $10,000-$50,000 cash bounty to whoever can introduce me to the right trading firm. Dead serious. I've become acquainted with many great guys through ET over the years, and that's exactly who this post is directed at. If I'm 'just another anonymous guy on the int...

What would you do if time stopped?

Drama

What would you do if, except for you, the world, and everything and everyone in it just froze and time stopped, for 10 days? ------------------------------------------------------------ http://modernyuppie.blogspot.com/ The musings and antics of a Meathead college wrestler turned asset backed secur...

Milky Way Mochachino

bearing

I don't know about you guys but the Milky Way Mochachino from the Flavia machine is one of the only things that get me through those late nights. I think I have to be drinking like 5 a day. ...

I am surrounded by MORONS

badam

Do you know that rap song "The Whistle Song" by Juelz Santana? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r2A6RkJpQI All day this week I've had a bunch of mainly Associates around me singing "EV over EBITDA, EV over EBITDA" to the opening line "There it go baby don't stop now, there it go baby don't stop now...

Girls in flip-flops

CitySophisticate

I read an article on the web today saying that men hate women in flip flops. Men don't think women look attractive in flip flops. Is this true? Thoughts?...

+1
Chat up line on subway reqd...

newbie2banking

OK, so there's this girl... Not just any girl... but THE girl. I'm talking the kind of girl who you would quit your job for and disown your family, if she asked... She is THAT fine. I've never spoken to her, but to be honest, as long as she doesnt sound like a man, I don't care what she says. ...

iPhone + Blackberry

stevenbn

Anybody know what the additional monthly cost of adding an iPhone to an existing Blackberry phone plan is?...

what do u guys think aspiringmonkey is up to nowadays?

mynameisvinn

his website getibjob.com isn't working...

WSO Hall of Fame / WSO Hall of Shame

F9 - Update

Post your Hall of Fame and Hall of Shame nominations here. Please be sure to specify which thread it came from, any other relevant information, and of course whether it should be a nomination for the Hall of Fame or Hall of Shame. ...

RANTS ARE WELCOME

Drama

WELL, I jsut made this post for the recent university graduates, who have obtained jobs in investment banking, trading, hedge funds, PE or any other finance job. So.. this post is to basically rant about some of the experiences that you have in New York City. Rant or brag about your new apartment/co...

New In The Big Apple!!!

Drama

Hello. Im just new in NYC, I graduated from Princeton University very recently, and have accepted a job a a Bulge Bracket firm, obviously here in NYC ( the job process was SO TOUGH, but the information here at WSO has been a tremendous help in securing my position at a BB IBD.)I am currently staying...

Which President would be the best for Wall Street?

oasising

I've read conflicting things about the candidates and their attitudes towards high finance. McCain would be the traditional stalwart as the Republican. But I have also read that most of the banks are supporting Hilary. What do you all think? I have my own views on who I personally like the best,...

why is Manhattan so dirty but expensive?

Brady4MVP

It's interesting that people constantly talk about how "glamorous" and "upscale" Manhattan is, but with the exceptions of a few prime areas like fifth, park, and central park west, the island is pretty dirty. there's garbage bags on every street corner, especially in downtown neighborhoods, the buil...

Corporate Services within GS

ishender

I am interested in applying for the Corporate Services within GS but when reading its' description it doesnt really explain the depth of it. If anyone works within that dept anywhere, can you please elaborate on what exactly the job duties are? Thanks!...

NY Post article on rise in crime

Brady4MVP

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06282008/postopinion/opedcolumnists/revenge_of_the_bad_old_days_117615.htm...

Who says there is no dating at Princeton?

alcman

...from a T-Shirt of Princeton's Department of History. (just thought I add my little dull joke here)...

NYC is turning into a violent cesspool

Brady4MVP

An article on the NY Post this weekend shows that violent crimes, graffitti, panhandling, and vandalism, are all drastically up in NYC this year. The quality of life has declined considerably, and with the recession, things will only get worse. My advice to NYC people: MOVE OUT before you get mugged...

Career Plans for a premed

b333b

yo guys. im done with mcat. dont think i did too well but hopefully good enough to get into med school. but i am posting here to explore alternative careers. i think medicine is definitely more interesting than ibanking. but if i were a business owner, like owner of a chain of gyms in east europe or...

Non Tourist Areas in Manhattan?

Brady4MVP

it seems like tourists are everywhere in the city during summer. i was in greenwich and west village last weekend, and all the bars were full of tourists. what places in the city should i go to that are reasonably tourist free? also, recommendations on nice bars and lounges would be deeply appreciat...

Best NYC deals on cable/internet

rpm4

I'm moving to the city next week and dealing with setting up all the utilities and stuff. I was wondering if anyone had good advice on the best provider for cable/internet? I know a lot of analysts dont have the time to really take advantage of it, but I'm willing to spend the money so that I can ...

Coming to America

nauru

So I'm going to NYC for training and just wondering how the ATMs and in-store debit systems work in the US. 1. Are you charged for using an ATM that is not owned by your home bank? If so, how much? I know the atms in nightclubs always rip you off but what about the major banks ATMs? 2. Are yo...

Looking for a female roommate

rosebudxiaojie

This is an ideal place for those who wanna save time from daily commute, enjoy a lovely neighborhood such as Union Square, and pay half price. The property is at 15th St between 6th and 7th Ave.The room is furnished and will be available on July 1st. You have a big closet, and an option to get a fu...

"Do you have capacity?"

milkman84

Ever hear this at your bank? I think it's hilarious. No, we're not human beings who are "busy" or "not busy." Instead we're machines who "have capacity."...

I need more ways to waste time

PowerMonkey

Alright guys, I need some help here. The markets are slowing deals are stretching out and my current methods can only waste so much of each day. Currently, I use the following methods to keep from boredom: -Read the news (including fark, drudge, cnn, nytimes, bloomberg, wsj) -Play on WSO -Read webc...

Roommate needed

powwow

Hey guys, looking for a roommate who will start in NYC in the summer for full-time. Preferably in Midtown, but willing to bend on that issue. I realize this is not the most optimal time or avenue to find a roommate, but mine recently bailed on me. Either PM me or reply to the post. Thanks....

Do you know what these buildings are? (East Village)

MMmonkey

I'm trying to figure out what the buildings from 5th St to 2nd St and from 1st Ave to Avenue A are. I see that there's a PS in between 4th St and 3rd St, but I'd like to know what those not-quite-so-north-to-south buildings are. Anyone know?...

Honda FCX - First Hydrogen Car Coming Out This Summer

onebuck

Hey guys, So I'm about to move out to Southern California as a first-year in a couple of weeks. I went to school in DC on the east coast and so didn't need my own car for some time, but am going to have to look into one since a car is absolutely essentially anywhere on the west coast. I'm already...

How much does one make from ad revenue on a website?

b2

I'm very curious about this. Patrick is a PE professional pulling in 200k+ a year. I also noticed that he recently implemented Rubicon Project, which, supposedly, helps to generate "mad cash from ads on your website". I've also noticed that the site runs slow and sluggish, with many problems (such...

Underage drinking

dabears13

This has been covered slightly but looking for more opinions. I'll be turning 21 during my SA stint, but wont be for the first couple weeks. I have a good fake ID (a real one that looks like me), so when is it ok to use this? From most responses, it looks ok to use when out with the group or other...

NASDAQ quotes on GoogleFinance

Simian

I just noticed that NASDAQ quotes on Google are in real time as opposed to a 20-minute delay for the NYSE. Is that something they added recently or did I just fail to notice that for years?...

How a SA SHOULD live it up in the Big Apple

iforgetok

So, I got the summer analyst position at a BB, secured my Midtown apartment, passed all background checks, and finished my final exams. I'll be on the beaches in a few days before I head up to NY, planning what to do... What are some MUST DO, Maybe do, and DEFINTELY DON'T DO's for a first time SA i...

"Wall Street Warriors" TV Series/Documentary

bankerchic

Just came across this great series called "Wall Street Warriors" that details the lives of different individuals who work in finance. You can watch it for free at http://www.hulu.com. Type in wall street warriors under SEARCH; there are 13 episodes to choose from. Pretty cool stuff. Enjoy!...

Goals

trade4size

So Im moving to nyc on sunday and I was transferring a bunch of files to my external hard drive when i came across a file labeled "goals 2007". So i opened it and looked it over and i ended up achieving 7 of the 9 goals that I had set out for myself. I was curious as to if anyone here has done the...

Life Stats

F9 - Update

If someone kept - in excruciating detail - perfectly accurate statistics about your life, what statistic would you want to know first? Among the limitless possibilities, example statistics include: - Hours spent doing "x" activity - lbs. of "x" food consumed - Number of occurrences of "x" - etc. ...

Another crane collapse in manhattan

Brady4MVP

another crane has collapsed in manhattan, this time on east 91st and 1st avenue, causing substantial damage to the electra apartment building. is NYC falling apart? can the lousy city even do proper construction? NYC is becoming more like a third-world city. ...

Anyone running in the Corporate Chase Challenge?

ishender

Just wondering if anyone is participating in that challenge June 16/17 ?...

Etiquette

jman

Hey guys, Question about meal etiquette. As an SA or recent undergrad, what's the general rule on paying for meals when going to eat with MD's, VP's, CEO's, Associates, etc.? I assume if I go out with analysts/SA's, we just split the bill, but what about with mentors or network referrals? Is it ...

Am I the only one...

meehgs

...who, on the first day of training for SA, looked around and wondered who else was a WSO regular?...

+1
Significant Other Drama at the Office

F9 - Update

Moderator Note (Andy): Best of WSO - this post originally went up April 2008 and we thought it deserved to go back on the homepage for those who may have never seen it. What's the worst significant other drama you've seen or personally experienced while at the office? What do you do if you're o...

SA Night Life

dunston17

I just accepted a banking SA offer at a BB in New York, and was wondering how much, in general, interns are asked to come out with the full-time analysts/associates when they go for a drink or hit the clubs after work. Are they frequently included in the social scene on the weekends/during the week ...

Tiesto in New York

mass_banker

So who's going to see him at the Webster hall?...

1st Time in Vegas

MSG1226

Hey guys, Me and a few guys are going 2 vegas for the 1st time in 2 weeks. So, being that this is our first time, what pointers do you guys have as to great places to check out, gamble, etc. I'm pretty dam clueless b/c I've never been and don't really gamble or drink (come from a very sheltered r...

Most amount of money spent at a stripclub?

CDN

Read the topic. I realize some of you are current bankers or finance guys and therefore have deeper pockets than a college kid. So indicate whether this amount was during/after university....

London Interns Kickoff Event

peppy

In June we will all be leaving the grim, frostbitten, darkened wastelands of the (insert your home town here) to come down to the big city to start a summer internship We therefore propose that anyone else in the same situation, interning at a company in London meets up at the fine public house bel...

Good Apt NYC Buildings for Analysts

rpm4

Like all the other incoming 1st years on the board I'm about to head up to NYC to find an apt. Overall, its pretty depressing what you can afford, even with probably the highest paying job out of college. But I was wondering if any of you that have already gone through this have any recommendati...

If true, WSO has just dipped to an all time low

squirtle

I just got this email from [email protected] I really do hope that this is a rogue member and Patrick really hasn't resorted to spamming university association email lists. [quote] As a member of University Accounting Association, I thought you might find this website interesting, useful and humo...

If you live in NY, have extra time, and want to make some money...

b2

I just found out that Daffy's on 57th and Broadway has Incotex wool trousers at extreme discounts. I love these pants; if you could pick me up a few pairs in a size 30 (46 Italian), I would be willing to pay you 150% plus shipping on what you paid for them. Looking to get as many as I can in differe...

Japanese billionaires?

milkman84

It struck me the other day, that for a large, highly-industrialized, wealthy nation, Japan doesn't have many billionaires. Anyone care to offer a theory? This is purely for my own interest....

Roosevelt Island Apartment

funnyplatoon

Looking for some potential roommates that are interested in a place on Roosevelt Island. It's only one stop to Manhattan on the F train. I'm looking at this place (http://www.octagonnyc.com/) called the Octagon. It's basically Manhattan living with a breath of fresh air and brand new accomodation...

+1
Investment Bankers on Craigslist?

workingirl

Why are there so many posts by male bankers on Craigslist? I could sort of understand it if the dudes were looking for NSAs or to be sugar daddies - but from a quick scan of the M4Ws...there's a ton of 27, 28, 29 yr old bankers who describe themselves at Ivy League educated, Tall, Wall Streer-ers lo...

Work Out Books

monkey37

I'm looking to shape up before my analyst stint. Any book recomendations for a novice? I don't have the first clue about working out--I'd really like to get into a routine. Thanks -37...

If you were a fugitive...

randomwalk0909

Imagine this: you are facing jail time of 25 years, and you have one month until you go to prison. You also have > $20 million in wealth because you were a hedge fund manager who got busted for fraud. What would you do? Would you try to run? My immediate thoughts, although I'm not sure how feasi...

Strip Club visits with IB clients

DKMBA2010

"Fact or Myth?" - asks my other half!...

NEW! WSO Dating Forum

x35109

Maybe its a good idea, and maybe its not. I mean I saw the post for women's clothing and realized there are actually a few girls on here. I figured I could use a date so.... I propose a new forum. ...

This guy is really smart

lightsout

Why do we even bother to work? We should all just do what this guy did. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/050108dnmetbillion.b623795f.html...

Forbes Billionaires - Where are all the Bankers?

Restructure This

So take a look at the Forbes list of the world's richest billionaires. Where are all the investment bankers? You might think at least one might crack the top 10? The top 20? 30? Anybody there? In this light, the effort/reward ratio for banking seems low. Bankers seem almost union/blue-collar ...

Burnett/Faber sexual tension

RossGellar

Is it just me or is there some serious sexual tension between Erin Burnett and David Faber on CNBC? ...

The Legacy of Bailouts

randomwalk0909

From Greg Mankiw's Blog: Sunday, May 04, 2008 The Legacy of Bailouts Alan Blinder make the case for more regulation of financial institutions. The key passage: It will, for example, substantially reduce the profitability of investment houses and, therefore, reduce their scale. But that’s t...

Pay: IBD v. S&T v. ER v. AM/PWM/IM v. PE/HF v. Big4

sleepisfortheweak

Curious about how the pay compares across the different divisions.. It would be great if you can post some specific numbers. I'm specifically interested in the first-year figures out of undergrad. Thanks in advance....

Lookin for Houston rommates

anonymouse

Male energy trader lookin for roomate(s) in Houston starting in June or July Have seen a ton of giant houses and lofts to share. drop me a line at [email protected] ...

Black Cars

patekphilippe

I am curious about black cars. These are supposedly a well known perk of being a banker. With all of the cost cutting in the recent year or two, are you guys still getting black cars? If so, what are the restrictions on them? Are they only for rides home? Do only bulge brackets offer this perk, or...

S&T SA - Living alone or in double in EHS/NYU

dvd56x

I can either sublet a studio by myself or stay within a double in an EHS building (with an randomly assigned roomate). I'd prefer my own bedroom but I see how it might be beneficial to live around other interns in EHS especially if I don't know a lot of people to hang out with. From anyone's person...

BDs and BMDs

hayabusa

So the word is, MDs are feeling kind of insecure with just the managing director designation and need something better, so effective June 1 2008, all MDs in iB in the US will be re-designated 'BD' or Big Daddy. All senior MDs will be designated 'BMD' or Big Mac Daddy. That will be all for now. ...

Why WSO members are obsessed with prestige

trade4size

Prestige is probably the single most used buzzword in this online community and I would like to get everyones thoughts on why prestige matters so much to begin with. Whether its where you go/went to school, what area you live in, what you wear, where you work company, what division, or even as deta...

Has the Financial Industry's Heyday Come and Gone?

randomwalk0909

Has the Financial Industry's Heyday Come and Gone? By JUSTIN LAHART April 28, 2008; Page A2 For the past three decades, finance has claimed a growing share of the U.S. stock market, profits and the overall economy. But the role of finance -- the businesses of borrowing, lending, investing and all ...

Tapered sleeves

yawster

I've heard and read in publications (i.e. GQ) of having a tailor taper the sleeves of your suitjacket/sports coat. When I went in an asked my tailor to do it, he looked as me as if I were about to commit a crime. In the end he refused to do it saying it would ruin the jacket. He is just an out of st...

Searching for a roommate - My Ad

weswes

Is anyone moving to NYC by July 1st and looking for a roommate? I know this is slightly out of topic for the 'ibanking' discussion but more people visit here than any other section of the site and I think craigslist is kinda sketch. I'm from a non-target (TCU, TX) and not many people make it up t...

The Office

chainzero

Did anyone catch The Office last night? It was pretty funny with some jabs at banking. The banking whiz was a hairy hobbit. Girl at club: "So, what do you do?" Michael Scott to the girl: "I'm a bank teller." Michael Scott to the camera: "Ryan told me to always me to tell women you work in financ...

EHS-The New Yorker

devilindisguise

This summer I'll be staying at the New Yorker through educational housing services. It's a bit on the expensive side, but I can't complain being that it's a 5 minutes walk from where I'll be working this summer. Does anyone have any experience with living here? They mention that they have a gym. ...

Cash Rules Everything Around Me

C.R.E.A.M.

Here is the dilemma. I'm a business major at a semi-target in NYC. I want to make a decent amount of money in life. Reaching 200k-300k after 7-10 years would do it for me. I do not want to be an Investment Banker. But I want to stay in the New York City area, and it seems like the only alternative...

really difficult to own a condo in manhattan

Brady4MVP

i was talking to a friend of mine who works for a TOP private equity firm in new york, and he said his boss, who's a principal with the firm, still rents on east 29th street. given the fact that this guy makes a ton of money but still rents, i guess it shows how hard it is to buy a decent condo in m...

Preakness is coming up...

Krakauer

Anyone on here going to be able to make it?...

Murcielago vs F430

Jimbo

If any of you have driven or ridden in either, can you give me thoughts on the murcielago. I've been in the lamborghini gallardo, found it cramped and having poor visibility. always like the ferraris i've been in....

+1
EHS Marymount

heyman800

This summer I'll be living in EHS Marymount, as it is a short walk to the office I'll be working at. Does anyone have any experience with living here? I've gotten mixed reviews about other EHS buildings, but haven’t had the chance to speak to anyone about Marymount. ...

Don't miss this workshop..

HedgeHog

learn from the masters!! what nerve.. (props to dealbreaker) http://dealbreaker.com/moodys.gif ...

roommate for Chicago

aachimp

Have a large 1 bedroom condo in downtown Chicago about 2 blocks from the Chase Tower. Gonna need a roommate. my lease starts in late April and runs through August. rent is $900 per month if less than 3 months and $750 if renting for 4 months. the place was built in 2007, so everything is brand n...

Bank Sports Facilities(London)

Disjoint

Considering the recent surge in posts regarding ranking. I thought of an actual ranking that might be worth something: Which bank do you think has the best sports facilities in London? And which banks give out sportswear for employees to work out in? (I assume a lot of you did the whole company to...

+1
Blackstone Baller

Brady4MVP

a friend of mine lives in the trump world tower near the UN, and he said this blackstone partner bought the penthouse duplex for about $30 million! if i'm not mistaken, he paid all-cash for the transaction. pretty awesome, especially since the people living below him are derek jeter and jay-z. i k...

How much do you drink?

theHam1

To full-time bankers (specifically not including SA's): How many times per week on average do you go out to drink? On an average night, how many drinks do you drink? Are you a guy or girl? How much do you weigh? (Obviously optional)...

Yankee Stadium

nystateofmind

I've got a few friends coming in town and am looking for cheap tickets a few weeks out. A few quick questions: Is stubhub the best place to get tickets? How are the bleacher seats in general? Is it true that they now don't allow alcohol in the bleachers? Where else would you recommend sitting? ...

most amount of redbull in a period of time?

CDN

What is the most amount of red bull(other energy drinks) you have had in a period of time? I once had 5 Rockstars, equivalent to about 9 or 10 red bulls, in about two days coupled with around 5 hours of sleep total. This was during exam week and I thought I was going to die, my heart kept on skippi...

NYC Get-together

Warhawk_1

For those of us in NY this summer, how many of u would be interested in meeting up for a get-together at a bar or something? I know our schedules are gonna fuck us over in terms of our ability to commit, but maybe we can aim for something like 1 AM on a Friday night?...

contact for a fake

waltersobchek

So I'm starting as a SA in NYC in a few weeks, and I just got back from group placement. Since I'm young and won't be 21 till the fall, I'm wondering if anyone has any contacts for a fake (ie not those online scams). I spent a few hours running around NYU looking (tatoo parlors, going to places my f...

Charcoal, Gray, or Navy?

patekphilippe

I am not much of a suit guy. I currently only have one mid-range suit that fits well. It is charcoal gray with pinstripes. I am considering diving in and purchasing my first bespoke suit. If I were to do this, which color would be the most versatile? I am deciding between the following solid colors:...

Pages