Trending Content (see all)Replies
+241
Immigrant, Homeless, Broke AF but FINALLY LANDS IB at a BB.

BigTuna5

If you can, read the whole story. Anyone out there that's gone through tough shit, heads up and never give up! <iframe src="https://anchor.fm/wall-street-oasis/embed/episodes/E27-Homeless--Broke-and-Made-it-into-IB-at-a-Bulge-Bracket-e4q6d7" height="102px"...

+96
Junior RBC Analyst Charged With Insider Trading

SeekingTheta

Did anyone see this story that just came out? Stud first-year out of NYU charged with insider trading. The idiot bought calls on EFI right before their acquisition by Siris Capital. What a fucking moron, only made $100K as well.

+38
A Warning on Tobin & Co.

john.smith_3

I saw this post on Glassdoor and can confirm this is 100% true. Do not be blinded by the positive reviews as Justine (the MD) forces her employees to write them. -Terrible culture with toxic work envirnoment -Employees are “highly encouraged” (i.e. forced) to leave artificially positive...

All Pods
All Events
Recently Active Topics
Replies
Cash Flow Statement in M&A

nick_123

I know how purchase accounting affects the balance sheet and the income statement in M&A accounting, but how is the cash flow statement of the buyer affected in mergers/acquisitions?...

M&A Deal - Corp Strategy group vs IBD

Tim Tebow

I see that most large companies have corporate strategy groups which are in charge of M&A deals among other things. However, all of them hire investment banks as advisers on these deals. My question is who is doing most of the work on an M&A deal, or where does it overlap? Walking through a hypot...

UBS HK and JPM HK - english or cantonese culture?

matthewlake2

Hey Can anyone provide info on what the culture is like at UBS and JPM in hong kong? Do people speak english or cantonese in the office?...

my interviewer just emailed me

guy_2000

So I had my superday with this BB 2 weeks back and just got an email from the interviewer (associate) asking me to call him coz he has some follow-up questions. Has anyone heard/seen this before? Any idea what might be going on ?...

Recommendation Question

powertime

I have been working at a BB wealth management office part-time for about a year now. I just interviewed with the same BB for an investment banking analyst full-time position. My boss in the wealth management office offered to call the director I interviewed with to recommend me. Is this a good idea?...

WallStreetPrep

tomahawk518

Where should I get it? Anyone looking to sell a used one? I am going into banking after doing a summer internship in consulting. WSP, as far as I understand, is one of the best preparatory programs for banking. If anyone can suggest to me a better product, though, I would love to hear it. Thanks....

Rothschild Restructuring

restbanker

Hey all, New to the boards. I have an offer with Rothschild and was wondering if anyone had further information on the group (sentiment, exits, reputation etc...). I'm interested in restructuring, so let's assume I'm placed into that group (more than likely). This isn't the only option on the ta...

Merrill DataSite

model21

Is there any way to download every single document from a merrill datasite at once, rather than going into each folder and selecting documents one by one?...

General Question - Bonuses and salary?

rigs530

I'm new to all of this, so I apologize if this is a dumb question. I keep seeing topics about 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year analyst bonus/salary. Lets assume you start working in the summer of 2009 and your first bonus is at the end of the year. Is this considered a 1st year analyst bonus (even though...

You know you pulled an all nighter when...

nufc

... you press "print" and while the printer spools up next to you, you think to yourself, "who the fuck is printing from my printer?" FML....

tax in a asset valuation

balooshi

Hi all, I have an interesting quesiton for you. When valuing an asset, lets say IP etc. You can use a DCF valuation correct. Then after doing so, do you gross up for tax purposes? Because lets the asset cost 50 and the value is now 100. all on after tax dcf valuations. Then the gain is 50. But ...

JP Morgan Singapore SA

dare34

Does JP morgan in Singapore take interns ? I hear their IB office is pretty small...

Jefferies --Hear back?

Pink_Monkey14

Hi was wondering if any individuals who previously interviewed with Jefferies - how long did it take you to hear back after the first round of phone interview? Thanks...

Amateur VBA question - need help (urgent!)

kanon

So I wrote the macros for my model to run for various scenarios and the model runs fine. But now I need to add an if statement where if the toggle cell I gave the name "GoalSeeker" has "Yes" selected, I want the model to goalseek the growth rate instead of using the assigned growth rate (cell I labe...

Credit Suisse Prime Services

saidso

So I interviewed with CS Equity S&T and just received word that I have a final round with Prime Solutions this Saturday. Anyone tell me anything about this group, work involved, etc.? This is a final round but only 1 30 min interview so Im kind of thrown off by that....

advice please - IBD modeling experience is not that helpful...

Newbie_banker

I need some advice here. I've been going for some hedge fund interviews but didn't do well. I got my investment thesis well thought out, and can do modeling reasonably well having spent two years in an M&A group. I usually got into the final rounds and am asked to build models on potential investme...

Bonuses 2008

bbanalyst

Bonus talk is already in full swing for senior levels. Anyone have any feelings on what analyst bonuses are going to be? I think first year analyst bonus will be 50 - 70, second year 70-90. (Exclude GS who if it doesn't pay first year analysts this year +$90K should be considered cheap.)...

+4
Vacation Days given to analyst, true vacation?

powertime

Just curious, but what is the typical amount of vacation days given to an analyst? Are you able to truly get away from the office on these days? Are there any scheduling conflicts since I am sure most people want Xmas and other main vacation times off?...

Capital IQ Interview

Kanye West

Anyone know what to expect from an interview with Capital IQ? They seem to be similar to Bloomberg. The position would be dealing with clients, does that mean the interview would be mostly fit? Also any information on exit ops and salary would be great. Thanks.. ...

Biotech/Health care groups in HK

villalobos

I'm a US undergrad from a non-target currently studying for the semester in Hong Kong; I love this place already know I will want to come back. I would like to leverage my situation to find a SA position here. I have made some good contacts, and have a meeting with a headhunter (friend of friend) ...

Where to Live in Hong Kong

blackberry

Hey Guys, Has anyone here worked in Hong Kong? I am scheduled to work in the financial district and need to find housing. I would like to live on the Island, not to far away from the financial district (preferably a 10-20 minute commute). Any recommendations? Thanks in advance. ...

Morgan Stanley Generalist vs Blackstone M&A

monkey2718

Hey guys, I'm considering full-time positions with Morgan Stanley IBD and Blackstone M&A. I think the consensus is that MS M&A would lead to a better experience and possibly better exit opportunities, but the MS offer is generalist only (group selection will happen later, and realistically it's not ...

0 7
Houlihan Lokey Recruiting

PaperTrail

Anyone know about the recruiting timeline at HL for banking? From talking with a few contacts, it sounds like it still doesn't kick off for a week or so. This seems really late but was hoping someone could provide further insight......

Recruitment Preparation Tools

PIE

Coming from a non-target I am trying to find the tools necessary that will give me an edge during the interview processes that are held in my school and at the offices. I know that coming from a school less prestigious means less spots and more competition. What are your best suggestions to how I s...

HSBC Final Round (IBD)

muffin09

Hi all, I have a superday with HSBC coming up for investment banking, can anyone give some advice on what to expect specifically (anyone gone through the process?), and from IB final rounds in general? I'd appreciate it. Thanks. ...

Reconciliations or Settlement in OPS?

myripple

Hi guys, I am facing two opportunities in BB. One is in Reconciliations, the other is in Settlement. I really don't know much about operations. I know Ops is not good start in banking industry. But I don't have other better offers at this time. I want to know between Reconciliations or Settlement,...

Capital Markets

blackberry

Hey guys, I'm going to be working in DCM in a few weeks. Can only one give me a few pointers on how to prepare (Excel, ppt, bonds markets, bond valuation, etc.)? Thanks in advance!...

quick questions on control premium, IRRs, LBO

pedigreed monkey

hey all, im preparing for FT interviews and have a few quick technical questions. 1) why do companies pay a control premium for a target company, and how do they decide how much to pay? is it simply through the bidding process? 2) at the company i worked for, some of the LBO models i worked on (...

Lazard, Greenhill still recruiting??

scott_ten

Would it be too late to send resumes out to them?...

+1
Scotia and RBC

2009td2009

Has anyone got offers from Scotia or RBC?...

William Blair - Comp?

TheHungryOne

Does anybody know comp (base + bonus) for a first year IB analyst for their Chicago office? Any input on the culture and reputation of the firm, from what I hear they are known for their healthcare group? Thanks ...

Christmas 09

HomerS

Historically, do American or European bankers work Christmases? What was your experience, and what do you expect this Christmas given more froth in the markets? Is it safe to assume people really want to push deals through prior to Xmas or wait till after new years? I know accountants have differe...

+1
Transferring to Ivey - Need Advice

Phynansir

Hi guys, I’ve been browsing this forum lately and finally decided to make an account to ask some questions that I have. My Situation: Currently a 1st-year undergraduate student at a 2nd/3rd tier Canadian B-school (Think Schulich, WLU, Rotman (u of t), etc.). I was accepted to and could easily hav...

Did Main St swindle Wall St?

Discoun Ted

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if Mainstreet may have be the more astute dealmaker on the block. A fair amount of the damage ibanks took was because they essentially took a bunch of overvalued 'toxic' assets on their BSs. But what that is is paying more than the assets are worth, whatever ...

Depletion

powertime

Can any energy/natural resources guys explain depletion and how it would affect all of the financial statements?...

Tech m&a to triple in Q3?

Stringer Bell

Nice little article to pad up looming end Q3, hopefully some Reganomics will kick in and send some deals down to MM land. I don't exactly how that would work but...never mind just read the article ...

Nicolas Sarkozy's Legacy

Boutique Banking

Like many on this forum I recently started my career in investment banking. I know that there will be some reform to current policies and banks will become slightly more regulated. This obviously becomes a concern for many of us moving forward. I have no problem with tying short-term compensation t...

+2
Public Finance Group IBD Exit Opportunities

masteroftheuniverse

I have the opportunity to join a top Public Finance Group within the IBD of a bulge bracket. I was wondering what the exit opportunities are of this position? Also, I have extensive internship experiences in Private Equity and S&T so would Hedge Funds or PE shops be a possibilty after a 2-3 year s...

Terminal Multiple vs Perpetuity?

CashCow

Does anyone know when you would use each method? Thank you...

More MDs than Associates?

PIE

I recently looked into a bank where during my interview, I was told that there were about 10-15 members of the group that were directors/MDs and they only had about 4-5 associates. This is at a boutique M&A bank. Is this type of personnel usual at a boutique or is it a sign of alot of the associat...

Is Goldman Sachs a good company to invest in?

FutureGekko

I don't really know much about buying stock... I am basically a Wall Street nub. I have $400 spare, and I am frankly sick of buying clothes, games, or other nonsense I waste my money on. I want to take this money to the Street. I know $400 wont get me much, but I want to invest it in something....

Mentioning Offers

powertime

When interviewing with one company, when should you mention that you have an offer with another firm? I don't want to sound like a cocky fuck but I would like to make myself seem desirable. Should I just mention it when they ask who else I am interviewing with?...

Citi vs. BofA IBD

PSS243

I have invitations to Superdays for both Citi and Bank of America for investment banking. Both positions would be for a full-time analyst (grad) in the New York offices. Both superdays are on the same day, so I can only go to one. If you had the chance to work at one, which would you pick and why...

Weird Situation

syl2009

Hi, So I am currently a junior and have worked for a BB in NYC (equity research) this past summer as a sophomore. But, the sad thing is that i did not receive an offer. this year, i would like to shoot for i banking. Is there any way i can spin my equity research experience into ibanking and come up...

Transfering to: NY or West Coast 1st Yr Analyst

midtownmonker

Hi, I have a few questions and I hope that you guys have some insight into my problem. I am at a BB in a regional office (but sizable) and I would like to transfer to NYC or the west coast. I prefer transferring to NYC however. 1) How would I go about transferring to NYC / WC within my BB? Should...

Jefferies & Black Rock Alternative Advisors EMAIL STRUCTURE PLEASE

robot9956

Could anyone please provide the email structure for the companies above? thanks alot!...

Should I call???

jgrb17

I would appreciate some advice on my situation. I'm currently employed at an Investment Banking boutique. However, I had an interview with a bigger and better bank. Yesterday I received a voicemail from one of the partners, at the firm I interveiwed with, asking me to come in for a second round in...

Are M/B/B analysts really earning less than IB analysts?

belerophon

Folks, I have a friend who is finishing up his 2nd year at a M/B/B. He told me his total comp for the two years, including base, bonus, sign-on, pension money, housing allowance, and 3rd year bonus (he's receiving 60k EUR in his third year when he does the MBA and he does NOT have to return to the ...

GS Finance - What to expect?

AgreeWitMe

I've got a first round interview for GS Finance (Controllers). Anybody been through it? What should I expect? Is it all behavioral?...

+1
Analyst Attitude Toward New Associates

GoFUCKyourself

I'm a new associate and I have a question for all of you analysts out there. Why the animosity toward new associates? Yes, we know less than you do about excel shortcuts and what folder to find certain files and just about generally everything about the job. But, what I say to you is to compare w...

Operations or Risk Management?

juicyj

My goal is to get a full-time position on a trading desk through recruiting this fall...that being said, chances are slim that this will happen. Which of the following would give me the best chance of getting onto a desk combined with networking and probably B-school in a few years. FT position i...

SUMMER ANALYST recruiting deadlines and dates

wallstwarrior19

So I see alot of questions on this board about first rounds and superdays and I know most of those are for full time but sometimes I get worried thinking that it is too late to apply already. Can anybody who actually knows the information post the summer analyst recruiting timeframe for all the big...

Undergraduate Education.

Icey

Hello everyone. I am a High School senior that is very interested in getting into investment banking. Ever since I had an interview with 5 investment bankers (2 MDs, 2 VPs, and an associate) at a boutique, I've been dead set on investment banking. If not investment banking, then I would want to be...

Offer(s) Thoughts

Hybrid

I have received two offers in the following banks and am in the late rounds for the rest. I just wanted to get some various opinions on what people thought. Generalist offer at Barcap Generalist offer at MS M&A at BofA ML Greenhill Moelis Evercore I'm not looking for anyone to rank, just opinions ...

+1
Unfiltered Recruiting Advice from an '09 grad to '10 grads

furiousgeorge86

So last year I was looking for jobs in investment banking from a non-target. It was the toughest year to do so, but banking is something that I find very interesting, and was 100% what I wanted to do. I went to some interviews, some BB superdays, some boutiques, and a job working for a different typ...

Email Structure - BacML Morgan Joseph

TheFullMonte

Anyone know the email structure for: Bank of America Merrill Lynch Morgan Joseph Thanks in advance...

When to Mention Offer

powertime

When is the best time to mention that you have an offer during an interview with another bank? Should I just say it when they ask who else are you interviewing with? Give me your thoughts......

LBO question: no multiple expansion upon exit

freebie

Why do we assume no multiple expansion upon exit in a LBO analysis? If the sponsor streamlines costs and accelerates the target's growth rate, shouldn't that be rewarded with a higher exit multiple? ...

PE/IB question and Prep Question

Password_Is_Taco

It seems like everyone on here wants one thing: PE. I realize this is a generalization, but really, it seems like 90% of the posters on here are college kids or analysts who want to make it through two years of Banking and then work for PE. It seems like working as an associate, VP, or MD at an IB...

GS High Yield Research & Macquarie Corp. and Asset Finance

ImPossible

Can anybody of you smart monkeys who have experiences provide some insights about these two groups? Would appreciate any help!...

Anyone currently working in IBD at JPM? Please PM me

boom495

Got a quick question, would be much appreciated if someone at JPM could shoot me a PM. ...

A Tipsy Morgan Stanley Trader Got Fired After Betting £6.5 mm

razumereview

At the end of the day, he still managed to trade out of his position profitably. Awesome. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090520/tbs-tipsy-trader-gets-city-ban-after-6-5-327c223.html...

Citi full time Associate (post MBA) deadlines?

aceman

Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows the deadline for Citi full time post MBA associate deadline? I am looking for the IB deadline, as well as maybe FMA (financial management program) deadline. I am also interested in both New York and Hong Kong application deadlines. Why can't I find this ...

WTF is up with Excel 2007?

Marcus_Halberstram

I copied a spreadsheet over from another workbook, and now all of those styles are in my workbook. What the fuck is this!? I have literally like 300 styles above in my model now and I cant even find the fucking one I need without scrolling through all of them. On top of that, you can't even delet...

Deciding between types of work in IBD

unsungherodave

Hey all, I am a new user on the forums but have been reading on-and-off for a while. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into why someone should pick going into Equity Capital Markets, Debt Capital Markets, M&A, etc. when given the choice. I always thought I would be able to work on debt, e...

Why Spinoffs?

Swannyknif

What is the pitch/argument that Bankers make when they argue that a company should spinoff a division? For instance, why did McDonald's spin off Chipotle? Obviously Chipotle's growth was more than MCD's. Is it a way to get "free" cash for MCD (without issuing debt or selling treasury shares)?...

BarCap vs. Lazard

Pretty in Pink

Hi, I was a summer at BarCap and have a good chance of being the M&A analyst of my industry group. I recently received a generalist offer at Lazard for IBD. Does anyone know what the hours are like at Lazard? I'd also like to hear general thoughts. ...

Finance Interview Question

CashCow

For the question: draw the graph of cost of capital as you move from 100% equity to 100% debt, I have heard that the answer is that it looks like a smiley face. However, I thought that cost of debt is always lower than cost of equity. Can anyone explain? Thank you...

Negative Operating Income and FCF's

zX522

I'm building a DCF model. How do I calculate tax expense when Operating Income (EBIT) is negative to get to FCFs? Net Operating Loss Carry Forward [quote "dosk17 - Retired Investment Banker"]Basically here is what you do: As the posters said above, if you have negative operating income then yo...

GS High Yield Research & Macqaurie Corp. and Asset Finance

ImPossible

Can anybody of you smart monkeys who have experiences provide some insights about these two groups? Would appreciate any help! ...

Funny Bankers Video?

Banker88

Does anyone remember a funny video of like 4 investment bankers' night out? It was very similar to the AJ video with models and bottles. And they did a toast like "here's to being single, seeing double..." If anyone can post a link, I've been trying to find this video for a while. Thanks....

Is this website legit?

Warhawk_1

http://elitecollegeandinterviewprep.blogspot.com/ Have any of you guys tried out this site before? Two of my friends who are still at Penn used the site's resume review service to prep for FT recruiting and said it did a pretty good job of rewriting their resumes. That said, it seems kind of strang...

Valuing banks and financial institutions

nick_123

What are the main differences between valuing banks and regular industrial companies? Do you mostly use FCFE, FCFF, or DDM and why? I would greatly appreciate your help in understanding the main implications of valuing banks. ...

Interviews coming up...Need Advice

FBI_34

I have three first round interviews coming up next week with the following: Deutsche Bank - Global Banking Analyst Barclays Capital - Public Finance Analyst Bank Of America - Capital Markets Analyst Any idea of what to expect? Mostly fit or technical? I'm a non-finance major at an Ivy and have...

please help with offer selection

pedaltodaflo

UBS M+A, CS M+A, or DB M+A group. ...

Transition - Thoughts on transitioning from corp law to banking?

cdoug55

Hi, new to the boards. Been reading for the past couple weeks just to get some information, but I figured I would finally post. So, I wanted to ask everyone's thoughts on transitioning from Corporate law to banking. Here is my deal: Went to Lehigh ('01) and majored in Finance. Lets say I did a ...

Banking Internship

PIE

Hello, I wanted to ask for advice in obtaining a internship that will give me some exposure to banking for the fall/spring. Last year I interned at Merrill in the wealth management division and this current semester I found an internship in UBS, but in the wealth management division. I feel that h...

Barclays Capital IBD vs Greenhill

chimp3070

How would you guys weigh full-time analyst opportunities with Barcap and GHL? I'm a college senior considering full-time options, spent the summer as an IBD SA with Barcap (have a FT offer). I've read through the general BB vs. boutique threads, but I'm curious whether you guys have any opinions ab...

Help - Density of natural gas?

LondonE11

I'm trying to convert MMBtu to KG. Yes, I know BTU is an energy unit. X volume of Natural Gas produces 1MMBtu of energy. Take the density of Natural Gas, apply it to X... and you know how much KG is in 1 MMBtu. But what is X? And what is the density of Natural Gas? Does anyone know a reliable ...

Question on BB FT offer

marketeer

I just received the contract for a FT offer from a BB. The base is the same as posted in a post on WSO. However, it did not mention sign on bonus or relocation fee (just the base is mentioned and written in exact numbers). Is this normal? Or there is no sign on/relocation if it is not in the offer? ...

IBD groups classficiations

pedaltodaflo

If you have a generalist offer from a bank (think DB, CS, UBS) in IBD, does that include their capital markets groups?...

Global Investment Research Challenge

MikeHolden23

Hey fellas, I'm not sure if any of you have heard of the Global Investment Research Challege, but basically I got offered a spot on my University's team due to my academic performance over my first two years in college. Basically, the competition is an equity research project which will be present...

Median Multiple?

Banker88

I got this interesting question today - why do you use the median comparable company multiple to apply to the company you are valuing? The interviewer kept probing "but why the median - why not the high or the low?" It seemed like a simple question but I'm not really sure what answer he was looking ...

Structure of Greenhill/Evercore (New York) Super Day?

squirtle

Anyone know how their super days work? Are the interviews typically more technical or behavioral? I'd assume the latter since they're both small firms (so fit is extremely important), but maybe there is also a large technical component involved? If we assume 5-6 interviews, I'd guess that some were ...

My mentor/boss just told me he was fired

FreeMarketer331

Anyone ever have a mentor get fired? This guy gave me my break, taught me a lot, and now he's gone. He's been with the company 19+ years, loyal and hard working as hell....

offer from GS in London

newtoall

Hi all, I just received an offer as a 1st year associate quant in a trading desk in GS london. I am considering the offer as I liked the work they do there a lot. The base salary is similar compared to NYC but with a higher tax rate. Can anyone please compare the opportunities between NYC and Londo...

Shot at HBS

startin_banker88

Hey guys, I just wanted to know what my chances are of getting into HBS in 2-3 years. I will be a 1st year analyst next year at a top BB and so far I am graduating from a semi-target (think Brown/Northwestern/Notre Dame/UVA) with a 3.5 GPA. Would I need to really nail the GMAT and write a brillian...

Unique situation, advice needed

Billy Ray Valentine

So I am in a bit of a unique situation. I am the most junior person at a start-up fund. We are still fundraising and the partners are funding all expenses. Myself and all the other employees (under 10) have agreed to take salaries below market and probably no bonuses year one, but will be getting so...

Applying to Boutiques

cheese86

Hi, I have been recently going on the websites of several boutique banks to look at their career pages and have found very little. The BBs seem to have very clear deadlines for junior summer analysts but the boutiques generally just list an email. When do they begin their recruiting for SAs? Is i...

Background Check - Contact information for a background check

If your summer employers aren't really happy with you and you have to fill out there contact information for a background check, is this enough to get your offer rescinded?...

Help with Application IBD

sj239

Hi, I'm applying to a BB bank in the UK and need to answer the following question as part of the application: Describe a recent development in the Investment Banking industry. What implications might this development have for the division to which you have applied? (IBD) I was think of talking ab...

EBIT multiple or EBITDA multiple

nick_123

What determines whether an industry uses the EBIT multiple versus the EBITDA multiple? I've heard that for capex heavy industries, EBIT is used more often since the depreciation in part covers the capital expenditures. However, woudldn't it be better to use an EBITDA - Capex multiple in this case?...

inroads to ibanking from graduate school

bkwr83

I have been on WSO for some time now but never needed to post. I am trying to find out how many of you found your positions in ibanking. Through internships/recruiting etc. currently i am a grad student doing an MBA/MSF at a middle of the run business school. I did my undergrad in poly sci (thinkin...

For peeps at Cornell

chuckiex

Have all the IB OCR interviews been filled already? Because most interview dates are like Dec 1, and I still haven't heard from anyone yet... does this just mean i didn't get any interviews?...

CEO.

gekko2

At a target school and emailed an alum who is very high up at a BB (CEO, head of division type). Amazingly he replied and suggested I speak with a CCed MD/VP who may have more relevant career advice. I'll probably never have the chance to talk to this alum again so i'm going to reply asking for some...

Pages