Silver BananaTopicReplies
SA interview?

phantombanker

I talked with a few banks (both BB and MM) at info sessions and through contacts and asked to interview ahead of time because I will be studying abroad next semester. A few of them seemed pretty interested. How long can I expect them to take before contacting me for an interview?...

Applying to HK or London FTs

elaine528

Hi everyone, I am really concerned about FT recruiting and wanted to get some advice. I have an offer from a top BB where I interned in S&T in their NYC offices. However, I really want to make the switch to IB. I have interviewed before in IB, didn't get any, but was told by the 2 firms I applied to...

M&A question - Key factors

biggmonkey

What are the key factors that should be examined? Not only the usual book stuff but the more important details that can make or break any such deal The company is a service company. Gross revenue of $10.4 Million Pretax profit = $1.4 Million Clients sign long term contracts for service Owns some ...

How do financial institutions benefit by trading unregistered securities in a private system?

ltic

I read this article on NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/13/business/13securities.html?_r=1&dlbk&oref=slogin Just wanna know how you can rationalize this form of collaboration....

Bear Stearns IBD vs Barclays IBD

leveredup

What are the pros and cons of each (deal flow, prestige, pay, industries covered, interview rigor, culture, etc)?...

Bank of America Sophomore Rotational

RawPunkGirl

Hey. Does anyone have information on this program? Like who I can contact to get information about it? Thanx....

BEST BANKS IN LA?

ABC123456

Any thoughts on GS, UBS, CS, MS, Moelis, Merrill and JP in LA? Which are best for an analyst and why? Any idea about the hours at each office? Thanks....

ML recruiting

pacificali

When applying for an IB job, does anyone in S&T(alums from your school who work in S&T) see you resume too?...

FT offer, but no calls from other BBs

pacificali

My friend has an offer from the BB she interned in this summer, but isn't getting any calls from other BBs. Don't HR at BBs all talk to one another? What's wrong? And btw, how do HR at other BBs even know who has offers/kids to contact?...

370K Compensation First Year out of College Possible?

dontchaknow

Apparently a family friend of mine makes 100K base and 270K bonus for the first year out of college at UBS. Is that possible in anyway? Any division? Any niche?...

+1
Valuation Question for FIG bankers....

deelite

Hello everyone, I am currently trying to get into FIG banking and would like to learn more about valuation practices in the financial services industry. I was wondering if anyone can share with me what are the main differences between valuing corporates and financial instituions? From what I have re...

How to manage a pending offer

naija

I currently have an offer from a BB and have 2 BB interviews lined up. 2 directors from the "offer" bank have left me messages after I received the offer but I haven't spoken to them yet. Considering the fact that I might still end up at the firm, how should I manage this so I don't shoot myself i...

Transferring from NYC to London

MDR

So I've accepted an offer from a BB (think Citi, JPM, Merrill) in NY and I would ultimately like to end up in London for my second year. How should I go about this? Should I start telling people relatively early to get the wheels in motion or wait for a bit and spring it on everyone around 9 months ...

Apply for Summer Analyst Positions

waltersobchek

I'm seeing all these people talking about interviews. Should I be sending my cover letters out now, and having my resume passed along, or should I wait till the formal recruiting starts. In other words, if I stand a good chance, would I be able to setup interviews in the next few months (as opposed ...

Valuing energy, oil companies

mba2015

Anyone with specific experience in valuing oil/energy/exploration companies? PM me if you would. I have a few questions . Thanks...

Lehman Menlo Park, CA vs Los Angeles vs Chicago vs Houston?

goldson

Anyone know where the best place to do investment banking for Lehman for these locations is?...

Dresdner Kleinwort, ABN Amro New York

eels

Does anybody know what type of IB functions exist at the NYC locations of these European banks?...

Things that happened during an interview

WnBkr

Anyone had this happen before? or Anyone have insight to what it means? FT superday at BB (think ML, MS, GS) Two of the interviews went very well, and I answered all technical questions correctly. Interesting conversation of the present credit markets and its effects on deals ensued. However, 2 o...

Compulsory Takeover Law

cowcowcow

Hey guys, im a new monkey just got a quick question regarding the percentage of shares required to be held in a company for that shareholder to force a compulsory acquisition of the remaining shares thanks in advance ...

Bloomberg Rankings

breakthrough

Check these out.... oh those of you bashing Citi, read on.... http://www.bloomberg.com/news/marketsmag/bb20.pdf...

Why do they fingerprint you in a S&T/brokerage firm?

greenbullets

Hello, I just got an offer for a boutique investment bank for an internship but I will be in their S&T team. They said I need my fingerprint to be inked because I'll be in their S&T team, any idea why? Thanks....

Credit Structure Risk and Rationale

jackstone104

Quick question. Company is considering a pool of credit enhancement structures backed by pool of auto loans. Total principal value of the ABS is $300 Mil. Structure 1: Pool Value - $304 Million, senior class $250 million, subordinate class $50 million Structure 2: Pool Value - $301 Million, seni...

Prospective College List

hustsler4life

I'm currently a high school senior very interested in working in finance after graduating from college. I realize I'm only in high school and it very possible I might change my mind once I'm in college, but right now I am fairly certain this is what I want to do. Here is the list of schools that I...

Chapman Spira Carson

8BallBanker

Anyone have any information regarding the Chapman Spira & Carson botique i-banking firm in NYC. Any info about their recruitment/reputation would be appreciated. ...

Commercial RE...Is it worth it? Serious Advice Needed Please

eyedea

I received an offer to do an 8-month coop in Commercial Real Estate. This coop will delay my graduation for a semester and it will also require me to incur relocation expenses (and rent) in order to move to the middle of no where for a job that pays peanuts (not even $15 an hour.) They have various ...

west coast banking

mark klein MD

what are your thoughts on working on the west coast in IBD? looking for any and all input here......

What's in a good rec letter?

IBWannaB

I am about to finish my internship and was wondering what a good rec letter should look like! What are the points that has to be in it?...

Advice needed - Frankfurt BB IB bonus numbers

Frankfurter

I was made a full-time offer last night by a BB IB and because of work visa issues need to make a decision by today. I am an American MBA grad with 3years work experience (CBRE and commercial banking) and have been interning for the summer. Offer is for a first year analyst pay - which is the same...

Got an offer.

paulson_01

I found out I got a full-time offer. Despite all the bullshit that comes off this forum, reading it daily has really made me familiar and well versed in a lot of everyday industry news/language, and not only prepared me for my interviews, but for my internship as well. I genuinely appreciate all the...

exit opp

lateralguy

dcm --> trading; how doable is this within 6 mos? just wondering what ppl on either side think; thanks....

FT recruiting with an offer

justanotherday

Anyone with such experience? Does it make FT recruting a lot easier? And is it quite possible for people to not end up with anything even with a summer internship offer, particularly this year? Pls share your thoughts, thanks!...

Tell me about boutiques...

TabulaRasa

Hello, prospective analyst here. If I am not able to work for a BB straight out of undergrad, is it worth my time to take a job at a smaller, boutique investment bank? How different are the hours? How different are the salaries? Are the experiences basically the same? Do boutiques carry any pr...

Do you have to be aggressive and extroverted to suceed in banking?

orangejuice

The reason I ask is that most people I know who scored a summer internship in ib are the energetic, outgoing types who always manage to get super enthusastic on every little thing i.e. the ones who talk the most when in a group. Many are also extremely aggressive and tactical in pursuing their car...

Asia IB Internship to London IB Full-time - Kind advice sought

beeeep

Hi all, I am going to graduate in May 2008 and am looking to move over from Asia to London for personal reasons and land an IB analyst job in 2008. I am currently doing an IB internship with Lazard Asia (until April 2008) while at the same time doing my undergraduate studies. I am coping fine with ...

Working in Asia: Need Advice

LukesSamson

I'm a 2nd-yr analyst at a BB in New York and I'm considering working in Hong Kong for my 3rd year. My New York experience has provided me a solid finance foundation and I think this could be the right time to try out Asia before I move further down my career path. I've been to the region (mainland C...

Transfers & SA Positions

ldf4c

If you transfer to a target school and enter in as a junior, how does this impact your chances for a SA spot? Your GPA from the previous school is not grandfathered into the target, therefore you have one semester (fall) to score well in your classes and then you will be applying for a SA spot in t...

The Lifestyle Group

chimera

Please list the group at your bank (or any other bank, for that matter) that seems to have the best life-style. By that I mean the best hours - irrespective of its caliber / or exit opps. ...

anyone has BASE + BONUS info on these programs. please share

zerocool

debt capital markets finance equity research fixed income research high yield and loan capital market market risk analyst ...

Bear Stearns Ops

monty09

What do these guys make in base? Do they get a bonus?...

Got an offer but need some help

justanotherday

I landed an offer and received some really good reviews at a BB in Hong Kong, and now I'm just thinking about whether I should take it. I've always planned to work in New York or in the U.S. in general but my experience in HK, both work and fun, have been above my expectations. So basically, I've ga...

IB Employment Opportunity - Questions and Seeking Advice

BusinessBuilder

My thanks upfront to anyone on the forum who can answer some of my questions. Background: I have spent the last 13 years since '94 working in some shape or form within the IT Industry. 5 years ago I joined a F50 IT Vendor - headhunted into Asia to drive Strategic Bus Dev then asked to come to the ...

Pitchbook Fonts and Themes

2007Analyst

Curious what the street looks like....

Night Analyst?

newborn

Anyone know anything about ML's Night Analyst Program for Juniors? I just want to know whether it's worthwhile program. Thanks....

First Rounds, FT

matty200

Everyone start applying for FT yet, when are first round interviews?...

Big Question!!!!!! Only Educated People!!!

moveinlife

Where can i find a list of 300 Big Cap publicly traded companys out of the S&P, Amex, Nasdaq, Ecx... with atleast 10+ years of being publicly traded? ...

Why this talk of "exit options" amazes me.

constantine

It strikes me as bizarre when I hear IB analysts talking about the "exit options" that justify their otherwise miserable career choices. First of all, the fact that the banking career has to advertise itself by promising advancement into other careers indicates that it must truly suck everywhere. Se...

How do you do 48 x 97 in your head?

mack387

When i try doing it in my head, i get stuck after i do 50 x 100 = 5000....whats the next step if you want to do something like this in your head? thanks ...

UBS M&A vs UBS Telecoms

Will1220

anyone on the street know which has better rep? prestige?...

anyone

ghosht

anyone in still livin the dream at the office??...

what do you do? investment professional

wiseguy

say one has about 300K in savings.. should one get an investment professional? how do most ppl manage their money?...

No summer offer, now what?

randomguy

I just found out that I did not make it. I interned with GS IBD. Now what do I do? Will other BBs take a look at me? What would their concerns be? How about PE ?. I actually have a pretty good CV with a year's boutique consulting experience before and am pretty shocked at the moment considering the ...

Reading Material

csesilver2

Does anybody know any good websites to find E-books on IBD that I can download for free? I've found a shit load on esnips.com, they also had alot of CFA materials on there too....

Can they take away your full time offer after summer?

dcheva19

Since market conditions aren't ideal, if you were a summer analyst at a BB and haven't accepted the offer yet, could they take back their offer if they need to cut labor? Or would they fire the current employees first? ...

Trade Publications

calvin

Can anyone give me advice on a good trade journal to subscribe to - I hear daily deal is good - looking for something affordable and good for a junior level guy. Any thoughts?...

Please critique my resume - Stacking up against competition

ChelseaFC85

would anyone mind looking over my resume? i'd be willing to do the same for anyone else. i'd really appreciate a banker's take on how i've organized my stuff and where i stack up vs. the competition. if i don't land an analyst gig next month, i'll consider myself a failure. please, help a brother ...

Is this allowed? Or will I get in trouble?

Stick19

First time poster here (hello) so excuse me if this is a stupid question...I guarantee it will be confusing. I am going to be a junior at UCLA however I have been to 2 different colleges before I transferred to LA. We'll call these college A (fresh year) and college B (soph year). I get a 2.9 (26 cr...

SEO - Investment Banking NY

Kerchak

http://www.seo-usa.org/career/default.asp?page_id=112 The application is online, feel free to ask me any questions or if you'd like to discuss your candidacy. I'd be very interested in following up on your interest in joining the Sponsors for Educational Opportunity....

Account Management vs. Portfolio Management

pacificali

What's the difference between the two? Which is more marketing, and which is more quant? Which has better exit opps? Thanks!...

New York people

ideating

Anyone want to share some good bars/areas? The past few weeks have been pretty disheartening... spanning from the douchebags at 230 Fifth and M&H to the 19 year old NYU chicks at Union Square there doesn't really seem to be any place for 22-25 year old professionals (not just bankers). A friend sugg...

How far does your analyst dollar really stretch?

grndmsteradv

Given that one of the major motivating factors for getting into ibanking for many people is the prospet of big bucks, I have a question about those first few years when you're low on the career ladder. Given that most Americans who get into finance end up in New York (though there are of course oth...

I-Banking Training - Newly graduate finance major

takingback_monday

I am a newly graduate finance major looking to start a career in I-Banking. I don't think though my resume is strong enough to even score an interview, therefore I was looking at investment banking training programs such as the IB Training Institute and Wall Street Prep that offer crash courses on ...

f*in blackberry

ghosht

was home in bed, got called in!! in office now. lovin every moment tho :-)...

McFarland Dewey...

Will1220

Anyone know anything about it? I'm interested in it's prestige mostly...is it on level of other top boutiques like Greenhill, Lazard (maybe that doesn't apply)... Any and all answers appreciated. Please dont flame me....

Master's in IBD in US

seiye

Do you know anyone who got into an analyst program in the US with a non-finance related Master's degree? I'm beginning to worry that US I-banks closing the doors to master's because they are overqualified to be a reality. ...

Prestige - Quality of life

beaker

Let's talk about the word 'prestige'. Now, it has bandied around as late. But what does it actually mean to you? For me, I am looking for one thing out of my career; quality of life. Before everyone jumps me, money plays a large role in this. Short term, money is the quickest way to make large QOL...

Associates

eels

Are M&A associates always hired in "classes" along a specified timeline, or can it happen on an as-needed basis? Is there variation depending on the size of the bank?...

financial models for download

banana1234

Everyone, I am looking to download (purchase if necessary) models that are similar to those commonly used by investment banks. I am looking for a DCF model, and LBO model, etc... Does anyone know where I can get my hands on such models? Alternatively, if there are some floating around message boar...

IM vs PWM

waltersobchek

So at the risk of getting flamed, can someone elaborate the differences for me? People seem to bag the two together, but I gathered from a friend in IM at GS that her job is quite different from say the regional ML office down the road. I realize in an IB board, these jobs do not have much prestige...

interviewer's decision

zerocool

say you apply for an IB analyst position, then you come short of "wowing" the interviewer. If the interviewer finds you qualified for other positions, say Finance analyst, what is the chance that he/she suggests you to take the Finance position ?? or basically, either you get what you apply for or ...

my first free night in banking!!!

ghosht

finally that night has come. should i sleep or should i go out? i've buried the berry somewhere where i cant hear it vibrate!! ok my eyes are closing.....maybe i'll take a powernap and see where things lie in a couple hours....

GS London

ermen

I heard that GS London are preparing lists of people to cull. is this true? Anyone can corroborate?...

Book Review

steve2434

I was wondering if anyone has read "The Business of Investment Banking" by K. Thomas Liaw and how useful it would be for a college senior starting to interview soon....

question about resumes

banana1234

Hi guys, I summered in IBD at a BB and received an offer to return for full-time. I am interested in applying for a few other positions before accepting the offer, so I need to update my resume. My question is this: should I explicitly list on my resume / cover letters that I received a full-time o...

Starting Salary

noober

I was wondering if all first year analysts get the same salary or someone who did double major and varsity athletics is likely to get a bigger salary than someone with a history major?...

"Banks set to cut 10-15% of staff as markets take toll on revenues"

pedigreed monkey

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/17e170ce-575b-11dc-9a3a-0000779fd2ac.html Think this will make its way to the US? (Want to know if i should start buying up investment bank stocks)...

Final Round Lehman for FT IBD

WnBkr

I have an interview coming up and was wondering how indepth questions they might ask about dcf,comps etc if i dont have a finance backround? Any other tips would be great as i really want this job! Thanks...

LBO/Sec 338

thadonmega

Is it common practice to use a reverse subsidiary cash merger structure for LBO's between target, merger "sub", and sponsor-group "parent"? By just looking at published preliminary proxies, there doesn't seem to be a commonly used tax structure. What's the safest practice? I know they're taxable s...

Challenge - Calculate weighted average beta

tbroker

My intern did not know how to calculate weighted average beta after I gave him 4 public companies...can someone in their first year or less please give me hope....

Anybody selling the wall street prep package?

DonaldD

I'm looking for the premium package msg me...

Sophomore Rotational Program

GregWeinstein

I am a rising sophomore at Emory and a chemistry and economics (or Finance... still deciding) double major. I recently came across the Morgan Stanley Sophomore Rotational Program and would appreciate any comments on its value and/ or selectivity....

Major and GPA ...

jeedog

Hi, I am a rising junior in a decent European university, I plan to apply for some major consulting/banking firms in the US for a summer internship. In our school we get grades on a 0-20 scale, best students have usually 16, worst rarely less than 6. This is a major difference with your A, B, C.. ...

What does an International Credit Analyst in the IBD of a BB do?

spottsa2

Does anyone hold this position or know what all it entails? How is the pay, hours? Is it comparable to other debt/credit positions within IB? Thanks....

Should I take this job on campus?

pedigreed monkey

So theres a student-run online bookstore at my university (target), and they are looking for someone to apply for the "Director of Finance" position. Since 2005, the company has "generated over $300,000 in revenue for its affiliates and donated $25,000 to local charities and student groups." As Di...

GS vs. Lazard/Gleacher Partners

Arts

What's the thinking about GS analyst position vs Lazard or Gleacher Partners? What are the top groups on the street?...

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

IBWannaB

How is this school regarded in IB circles? Especially the MS Finance programme! On its employement report, all the the BBs are listed. Has any seen a UIUC grad in the major banks? Or nor representation whatsoever?...

Decisions!!

Henry14AFC

Hey guys, would you please rank the following analyst opportunities?? Public Finance Analyst (IBD) at Tier II Bank, (think BofA, HSBC, DB) Treasury Analyst at Tier I Bank, (MS, GS, JPM) Boutique RE Investment Bank specializing in (minor) PE and (major)Advisory Capital Markets at a Tier II bank. ...

Is BofA a tier-1 BB?

Arch Pei

BofA is famous for its syndicate loans, debt capital markets, debt-related restructuring and sales & trading. However, it seems that BofA never plays a significant role in equity capital markets, M&A, as well as equity research. Can it be viewed as a BB? Or just like HSBC or ABN, a great cb with a j...

Career Options - Veteran feedback or commentary?

raider4ever

I'd like to hear some veteran feedback/commentary on my options: Credit Suisse Private Banking Analyst BNP Paribas Fixed Income Sales or Lev. Fin. analyst American Express Finance Analyst If anyone can throw out pro's & con's / opinions I would really appreciate it. Thanks. ...

Greenhill/Evercore/Perella

madinina

It seems that the above banks are very strong and popular in the US and some of the top choices to go for. Does this still hold in London or are they are regarded as prestigious?...

What do I need to know for summer analyst interviews?

Clif

I've seen a plethora of full-time info, but not much summer info. How are the interviews structured for targets and nontargets? What type of questions will they ask? What do they expect you to know or articulate? How can one best prepare for the interviews?...

IBD interview preperation for techie?

mmkitkat

I recently received an interview opportunity with one of the big BBs and was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers on what the BB's usually look for in an analyst candidate, or more in specific what I should do to prepare myself to become more qualified for the job? I graduated from engi...

Analyst Salary

hedgefunding

Looked all over this site, and found 1st yr analyst salaries + bonus. What is all in comp for a 3rd yr IBD analyst at a top-tier bank (say GS). I imagine it is significantly higher than 1st and 2nd years b/c being invited back for a 3rd year is a selective process, but don't know by how much....

'08 First-Year Base Salary

Ballyho128

All for one and one for all, right? Looking for additional data points on what kinds of #s people are seeing in offer letters. Obviously this is going to be for the SAs with offers, since the fall recruiting season hasn't kicked off in earnest yet. Point is to see what's the low-ball #. Without ...

Grand Detail List for SA Recruiting

Dave baby

SA recruiting seems far, nonetheless it is fast approaching. I think it would be great if we can compile a grand list of firms and their general non-finance attributues. Goldman: Business casual - Very tough background checks (hs gpa, SATs, previous employers called, college transcripts needed) - i...

Bombay banking numbers

ghosht

any idea about analyst compensation?...

Mind over Matter

WnBkr

Does anyone in IBD have a passion besides finance that gets them through the toughest days/weeks. For example, many young professionals train for marathons or committed to working out and general fitness. However, it seems that all secondary hobbies must be totally eliminated to survive the analyst ...

Question regarding H1-B and graduation

PVa

Hi: Do you think there is a big advantage in trying to get an H1B by doubling up work-load and credits (and taking a really heavy course-load) this fall in order to graduate in December? Thanks in advance for your advice...

Important Question about Resume After Internship

Questionaboutresume

I just completed an internship at a BB firm (received an offer) and hope to apply for a job with other BBs/PE shops. Unfortunately, I didn't learn much this summer. As I think is typical of a summer analyst, my primary responsibilities were editing pitchbooks, making charts, and revising OMs. ...

Lehman Stock

junkbondswap

Anyone have any positions in LEH or care to comment on its prospects moving forward?...

2 Red Sox vs Yankees Tickets 8/28 - GREAT SEATS! SOLD OUT!

MONKEYWIND

Can't go to game because of WORK (I HATE BANKING)! MUST unload these tickets - GREAT SEATS (details below) and you get to see DICE-K vs PETTITTE! You can pick them up in my MIDTOWN office anytime before the game. Best offer by 3pm today (TODAY - GAME DAY!). Highest offer by 3:00pm gets them. Reply t...

Pages