Silver BananaTopicReplies
david n deutschHas anyone heard of david n deutsch and co.? Its a small boutique bank. Any thoughts? How are their interviews? ...
nychimp is a fucking assholeFuck you, bitch....
Negiotiating Summer OffersI imagine it is impossible, but I'm interested in getting more relo money from my top choice (my second choice is offering significantly more relo money AND more salary {not bank though})...
Banker Cribsi'll start. this is one of the MDs from LGP's estates in Bel Air. http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=20523938...
ML Palo Alto or CS LA?Which one is better for a summer analyst position? ML PA offer is for tech banking where CS LA's offer is for FIG. ...
GS QRGGS Quantitative Resource Group: What do you guys think? How to prepare for interviews?...
Thank You Mr. GreenspanAlthough Mr. Greenspan is no longer officially the Fed chairman, it appears as though the markets and the masses, still quiver with anxiety whenever he mouths off. Thanks to Mr. Greenspan and his poignant remarks, the market immediately shat on itself today, undoubtedly apprehensive about the futu...
Associate pay packagesI am a third year at a BB and am being considered for an Associate position. We have not talked numbers yet, but from what I have heard the standard package for first year associates is 100k base and about 40k signing bonus. Can anyone let me know if this is accurate? Thank you...
HR vs Ops?HR vs Ops? Which one is better, hahahaha...
Security Guard to M&A?Yo everybody, I work as a security guard at a top-tier BB (think GS/MS) and I want to make the switch to M&A. Here are my qualifications: Education: Borough of Manhattan Community College (2000), Major: Criminal Justice (what what!!), GPA: 1.7 Professional Experience (2003-present): Top-Tier ...
Lehman post-interview silenceI had final interview for summer internship on 22nd haven't heard from them since. does it mean rejection? ...
At Work?Reviewing a model, listening to ipod Anyone else in hell right now?...
ML, BS, Leh, CS, + GS 1st and 2nd Year Analyst PayAnyone know the base 1st and 2nd year analyst pay at Merrill Lynch, Bear Stearns, Lehman, and Goldman? I heard Merrill, Lehman and Bear all pay a haircut amount of 55k for first year and 65k for year 2. However, can anyone confirm that Goldman and CS pay 65k for first year and 70k for years 2. Th...
do headhunters care wat school u went todo head hunters/recruiters even care wat school u went to if u've been in IB for at least a year out of school?...
Explaining ConceptsWe often talk about recruiting and interview Qs etc. and why one person gets a job vs. another. I thought I'd offer up a perspective on the forum... Recently my team has been interviewing lateral candidates. It's amazing how many well qualified people there are out there that simply don't intervi...
Ease of moving around globallySay I start working as an analyst here in the U.S. Is it easy to go from country to country every couple of years, say UK, HK, Aus, etc......
Is there a S&T forum around here?THis is IBD-focussed looks like ~thanks...
Financial markets: down 3%Check out GS, MS, etc. Looks like the emerging markets laid a big one....
Welltoday gets my vote for wildest normal trading ever....
Summer Analyst at JPMAny alumns of the program?...
BB in Hong KongHi guys, I just recently handed a summer position with a BB in Hong Kong. While it is not my plan to work full time in Asia after graduation, i was wondering if it would be a good idea to leverage this experience in Asia for full time US recruitment next year. What do you all think? Also, if anyo...
ms gcm vs. boa ibdwhat should i take......
Goldman - Equities Franchise Management Analyst?does anyone know anything about this position at Goldman? or about the group? job function? compensation? exit ops? key skills necessary?...
Boston Hedge Fund ConferenceMy firm is an introducing broker to Goldman Sachs Execution & Clearing and Bear, Stearns Securities Corporation. I would like to invite you to a Hedge Fund conference in Boston on March 23rd. Foley Hoag LLP and Shoreline Trading Group, LLC Present How to Start and Build a Successful Hedge Fund Bus...
CS IBD Analyst '07Curious to see if CS is well represented here.... See ya @ training in NY this summer :)...
The Downside of Being "Fratty"Interesting, but I have seen many frat guys that seem rather immature. While I think that social skills are extremely important to succeed in banking, you don't need to be "fratty". In fact, if you were fratty, the client might find that a little off putting. The right balance is to be polished, st...
Why would people go into Equity Research out of college?As above. The money isnt so fantastic and the hours are long. The job doesnt seem so thrilling. So why?...
Can anyone substantiate the rumors thatLehman hires 2x the number of summer analysts than it expects to bring on for fulltimes? Which banks are typically the hardest to get the full time offer from? (Assuming Summer Internship)...
1Y SalaryJust wondering, what's the consensus base for 1Y's starting in July '07? Curious to see if I have a 10 or 15K bump in store for me.....
preMBA offer- MM analyst position vs. MM PE Secondary analystWhat do you guys think is a better preMBA opportunity out of undergrad- MM analyst position (think Thomas Weisel, Piper, Montgomery) or (5 billion fund) secondary analyst position. I haven't decided whether I want to be in sell side or buy side but I'm leaning heavily towards buy side, but which opp...
Favorite Banker termsI like "gunner," but lately I've been hearing, "rock star." It also seems like B-School must be a great time - classmates aren't shit heads trying to break into banking (probably PE now), have a little more cash, but are grateful to be away from work and concentrate on being a student/enjoying on...
First Class SeatsWhen traveling for business how often do you get first class or business class seats. I ask because on a few of my interviews I often had first class seats and didn't know how common this was....
NYU Housing ends before my internshipMy summer internship is 10+ weeks starting mid-June and ending mid to late August, but NYU housing ends August 4th. I've applied for NYU housing to cover me for the first 8 weeks, but I have no idea where to go after. Anyone run into this problem before? Anyone currently in a similar situation? Any...
how many bankers really LOVE finance??I know I don't. Can I survive in banking with only a passing interest in finance and the global markets?...
what's the hardest part about this job?getting up every morning?...
GS Investment Research vs Lehman Start Capital MarketsI'm not really sure what I want to do yet. I was wondering which would offer better exit opportunities after my summer internship. Thanks in advance! ...
Bonus - 6% online savings FYI - If you're sitting on a signing bonus HSBC is offering a 6% online savings account....
being on the "reserve candidate" after superdayIt's Europe bank, not American BB. So I went to superday in early Feb, and they said they will make decisions "very quick within a week. After 2.5 weeks I still have not heard back. I emailed other candidates, and apparently some got an offer, some already got rejection emails. For me, nil. So I'm g...
2-3 year "stint" as associate?How many people go into banking post-mba with the plan to make a few bucks, build a resume, and get out? They always say you are a "banker for life" post-mba, but there must be some percentage of people that leave and/or plan to leave after a few years? Which brings me to my second, related questi...
Baltimore banks/related career questionsHi all, I came across this site recenty, and have found it bo be a useful source of information. I'm contemplating banking for a career, and have a few questions that I would really apreciate some input on. I have a feeling that these sorts of questions pop up frequently, but I've searched throug...
one more try - please read and give feedbackhey guys i've posted this a couple times and have recieved decent feedback, but nobody reads unless it's a new post so please let me know if you can give any insight to my situation: I recently accepted an offer at GS for a summer analyst position. Over winter vacation, I was caught at the wrong pl...
transition from big4 to IBKHi all, is it really tough for a person with big4 non-FS background to make a transition to the IBK? can anyone pls tell me the interview procedures for Goldman Sachs? thx!...
M.L. SternHow is M.L. Stern as a regional boutique? I might have a shot at an internship there this summer and I was wondering what the word is on them. Im from a non-target and my overall gpa is average (finance and business gpa are solid)... Would this be a good experience or should I keep looking elsewhere...
VP's in Operations. Do they break 100k a year?How many do they make at a BB. VP in Ops....
how much of this prestige stuff is bullshit?So everyone here's been talking about which banks are better based on prestige on the vault guide. I think most people here are spouting nonsense and what really matters is the performance of the bank in the business world. All of us here are amateurs spouting garbage. Anyone care to comment? ...
West Coast RankingsLehman Brothers (Tech group) Morgan Stanley (Healthcare) Merrill Lynch (Tech) JPM (Generalist Program) *just* for the westcoast...what would be the ranking of all of these opportunities?...
Lehman Brothers OperationsI am doing Lehman brothers operations this summer. Any word on it? Ability to transfer to front office? Options for MBA school after doing operations for a few years?...
A 3rd year BB IBD analyst comp in LondonGuys, what do you think should be a reasonable comp for a 3rd year analyst in IBD (M&A) of a BB bank in London?...
Goldman Offers All done?Anyone know if Goldman has handed out all of their offers already? Had a interview at the office last week, but was not superday, havent heard back yet..............
London Associate CompAnybody know what BB comp is in London for a second year associate? Salary and bonus?...
from US to UKI have been trying to get an internship in S&T in the UK this summer...I was undergrad at a US top-5 college and now doing MSc/PhD in another top-5 one;)...however...I have only declines so far!!!what's going on????has anyone studying in the US done an internship in the UK?...
"why do you want to work in the debt markets, and not equity?"wat's a good answer to this......debt is more complex and analytical?...
Summer Analyst Background CheckHey all, I've recieved several BB offers for the summer analyst position. I have a 3.8 GPA from a target school, but I included my transfer grades from my freshman year (I transfered from a non-target) as well as summer classes/study abroad grades to reach my cumulative GPA calculations which broug...
What constitues Mid-markets, BBs and boutiquesHey guys, I'm pretty new to this and the definitions of MMs, BBs and Boutiques have been pretty vague. Can someone point out exactly how they are categorized and whether the ranking matters? In particular, please tell me where does Deustche Bank, ABN AMRO, CSFB and Lehman stand with respect to ea...
"Quant skills"Hey all, I was just up at a BB sell day and they were constantly badying about the individual groups in terms of "this group will develop your quant skill set" or your "quant background" or this group is "quant intensive". Are they talking about ratio analysis etc. or just plain old "middle school...
Chartered Accoutant from CanadaI'm wondering how a CA (Chartered Accountant) from Canada trying to break into ibanking would be perceived. Firstly, I'd like to say that even though both the CA and CPA are accounting designations, the CA training program and evaluation is in a league of its own. CPAs are viewed as a commodity fo...
Which firm still takes application or reviewing application?I was interviewing for 3 BBs, where I got knocked out on the last rounds. I really need to get a banking internship, and I was wondering if there are any solid boutiques that are still accepting/reviewing applications?...
pros and cons of working in a smaller officeare compensation/other opportunities the same?...
What is the oldest entry into the industry that anybody knows of?More importantly, how many were successful?...
Best Banks for Aerospace and Defense and Energy?Which banks have the best aerospace and defense groups? Which have the best energry groups? I sort of think I might want to do corporate development in a couple of years and both industries interest me. So which banks have the best groups for those two industries? Thanks in advance for any help....
MBA a necessity?Hi guys, How important is having an MBA if you want to become a VP?...
UBS EquitiesI know equities is sales and trading, but can any of you guys give me some dirt on UBS's equities team? i've been reading up that UBS IBD is one of the biggest equity sellers in the world for the primary market, but what about their role in the secondary market? any good info on hours, what their ...
Hong Kong vs. KoreaConsidering my options post-banking analyst program and working in Asia is something I am seriously looking into. I'm Korean and have always wanted to work and live in Korea while I was young. But the prospects of working in HK and potentially being more exposed to trades in mainland China/HK/Sing/g...
Decision between JPM and LehI have two summer analyst offers - JPM San Fran and Leh Menlo.... I have some pressure on me to decide quickly and I can't make up my mind. What do you all think?...
BofA backlashWill the backlash that is there against BofA regardign the credit cards to illegal immigrants affect BofA securities business at all? or are they completely seperate...
HR Contacts - Lateral HireAnyone have HR email/phone contacts for lateral hires in NYC? If applicable, prefer LevFin contacts. I'll get it started: Jacquelyn Riggins Senior Recruiter Corporate and Investment Banking Division Wachovia Corporation 704-374-6103: Phone 704-374-4444: Fax [email protected] ...
What happens to group size when a new MD is hired to a group?Does anyone know what type of change large/small/other to the demand for analysts within a group happens when they poach an MD from another bank? For instance, lets say that Bank A hires away industry group MD from bank B. Bank A hasn't finished placing either new summer or FT analysts, will that i...
Still unsure what to do....Hey guys. Per my previous posts explaning my situation (see forum topic "one more try - please help), I've received some really mixed (waayy mixed) feedback and I still don't know whether I should say something to HR about my situation or what, so here's a few simplified questions - Will a civil i...
How would this be for an internship?Eventually want IB but it hasn't work out thus far. How will this be seen? https://www.wellsfargo.com/careers/undergraduates/summer/financial what will i be doing? should i take this?...
What I have to say about Miss Ind and the boardAfter she told me that ExGSBanker was the real deal: Miss Ind, shut the fuck up. I was here long before you dragged your sorry ass around here. I'm the sheriff in this town. Fuck you. What investment banker, somebody who works 100+ hours/week, would come here to talk to college fucks. If it is as ...
Summer Analyst: UBS v. CS v. Lazard v. CitiI have Summer Analyst offers from UBS, CS, Lazard, and Citi. All are in New York City. Where should I go, considering that I want to land full-time in an M&A group with great exit opps?...
Summer Intern needs roommateHello, I will be working in I-Banking and Sales and Trading at Merrill Lynch in NYC over the summer. I need a roommate or roommates to live with... anyone else need a roommate? e-mail me - [email protected] Thanks! :-)...
0 1
The Office VisitI already had an office visit (2nd round) with a BB. All the questions were behavioral so it threw me off a bit. The end result was rejection. I have another 2nd round office visit coming up (4-5 hrs of interviews). Should I just treat these interviews like 1st rounds? Any advice on what to do? Wh...
0 4
West Coast HCRank the top west coast Healthcare IBD groups...
0 4
Lehman Finance Division Interview?I have the final round interview with Lehman Brothers for the summer internship in their finance division next week...... anyone been through this interview / can comment on what types of questions to expect? Heavily technical and market based, or more behavioral?...
Lehman NYC locationDo they give discounts to the Hawaiian Tropic Zone across the street? What about Lace gentleman's club? These are the real perks I care about. ...
Anyone know about ML?Specifically, what do full time analysts receive upon arrival. Blackberry i'm sure, what about laptop, etc. How is ML's training? Are the hours intense or laid back....
Summer Housing - Do other banks offer housing? i know that JPMorgan offers summer housing for analsyst via NYU (a.k.a they reserve spots for their analysts). does Goldman Sachs do this? do the other banks?...
graduating on timeI am going to be doing a double major in finance and economics. If I want to, I can still graduate in 4 years. Would companies care if I took an extra semester or year to graduate? I am currently a junior right now, but if I decided to stay a semester longer would I be able to apply next summer a...
Lousy post interview experienceJust got back from an interview with a BB. Feeling super lousy now. No questions asked except for technical questions. ONLY technical questions. Definitely does not bode well. ...
Whole Foods to buy Wild Oats for $560 millionDoes anybody know which bank is advising this merger and what effect do you think this will have on the specialty foods market?...
JPM vs. Merrill Summer AnalystSaw it asked in some form earlier, but only discussed briefly. Which would you say holds more prestige? Has more growth potential? Good experience overall? I've heard both has good internship program and senior support. Merrill is growing strong after restructurings and JPM has had big improvements ...
Private Equity Advisory ???I just had an interview with a very small (fewer than 10 people) private equity advisory firm. The firm identifies profitable private equity funds and helps clients invest in them. Job description: The firm’s activities cover the private equity landscape, including buyouts, venture capita...
using an employment lawyer to review contracti have received a few offers from pe firms and an investment bank. i want to finalise with one of the pe firms. have any of you had a lawyer take a look at your employment contract before signing? is this advisable? what approach have you used for negotiating your employment contracts? i'm talki...
AAAACCCHHHH....HELP!!!Ok So I stupidly thought I could write a 5-page term paper on junk bonds in like 3 hours and pull off an A. And now I'm up shit's creek and I'm going to fail like everything....anyway this paper's for english (junk bonds is a relevant topic because we were doing yupppie-era stuff) and anyway I need ...
Does anybody care to post any resumesPost CVs that were successful. obviously cancel out the name and schools attended. ...
Help! MS Institutional Equity 2nd RoundsHi all! I have a 2nd round interview with morgan stanley's institutional equity division next friday, and I have no idea what to expect. Just wondering if you guys had any advice/good suggestions. Thanks! I really appreciate it!...
Internship QuestionI'm a junior trying to work at a Bulge Bank full time either in a trading or global markets role. Unfortunately being a Computer Science major my options for those types of internships at the big banks has been limited. I have offers from some of the Bulges for tech and an offer from a 2nd/3rd tier ...
real estate, lodging and leisurewhat do most banks call this group? isn't hospitality and gambling sometimes in there? how does Merrill Stack up? Goldman? CS? UBS?...
charityfollowing up from an earlier thread...do you give?...
subpar reputation... concern?i will be interviewing with a group with a sort of subpar reputation (think publicly traded, unprofitable for the past few years, has reinvented its business model a few times, and was investigated for some shady stuff by spitzer- although the investigation ended up being nothing). but its interes...
DLJ Merchant Banking: analysts and summer analysts? Associates and summer associates? What's the deal with these guys -- how big and good a player are they. Do they have analysts and summer analysts? Associates and summer associates? Do they hire mostly from within other CS groups? Anyone know how many they hire a year, how large the group is overall, etc. Just curious....
Include analyst class ranking/review on resume when looking to jump banks?If one was looking to move to another bank after their first year, would it look stupid to put your review/ranking on the resume? I.e. if you have been ranked in the top bucket across all categories, would it be worth your time to put it as a bullet? It is something that will come up in the intervi...
+2
How many hours do interns average?I'm just curious about the number of hours that interns typically average at BB banks. Do they work a lot of weekends? Specifically looking for info on ML. Thanks...
how to work in a boutiqueI know everyone is talking about this. However, for those of us who may find ourselves in a smaller, regional, or specialist shop in the near future, I'd like to ask the question: how can we make the most out of it? The major advantage of working in a boutique that I have seen mentioned is the acc...
Blackrock vs Investment Banks Asset Management ArmsHow does BlackRock match up with the investment banks asset management arms?...

Pages