Trending Content (see all)Replies
+241
Immigrant, Homeless, Broke AF but FINALLY LANDS IB at a BB.

BigTuna5

If you can, read the whole story. Anyone out there that's gone through tough shit, heads up and never give up! <iframe src="https://anchor.fm/wall-street-oasis/embed/episodes/E27-Homeless--Broke-and-Made-it-into-IB-at-a-Bulge-Bracket-e4q6d7" height="102px"...

+96
Junior RBC Analyst Charged With Insider Trading

SeekingTheta

Did anyone see this story that just came out? Stud first-year out of NYU charged with insider trading. The idiot bought calls on EFI right before their acquisition by Siris Capital. What a fucking moron, only made $100K as well.

+38
A Warning on Tobin & Co.

john.smith_3

I saw this post on Glassdoor and can confirm this is 100% true. Do not be blinded by the positive reviews as Justine (the MD) forces her employees to write them. -Terrible culture with toxic work envirnoment -Employees are “highly encouraged” (i.e. forced) to leave artificially positive...

All Pods
All Events
Recently Active Topics
Replies
lying about work experience?

chubbybunny

I was wondering how deep recruiters go for background checks, especially if the previous firms that you had worked in was not at a well-known bulge bracket firm. Do they really research the firm on the net, and call them to verify if you had worked/interned there? Furthermore, what if the internshi...

Morgan Stanley 0 bonuses?

boutiquebank4life

http://dealbreaker.com/2010/11/bonus-watch-10-morgan-stanley-has-good-news-and-less-good-news/#more-31444 The good news– as James Gorman promised, you get to keep your jobs! The bad news– you’re quite possibly getting nada at bonus time. Nada not as in “shitty compared to Goldman,” nada a...

UBS Voyager - Anybody heard back?

sloppyj

I've gotten several PMs about the UBS Voyager one-day program. They sent a message a week and a half ago saying they would let us know a week later (on Tues Nov. 23) about the results (can't find the thread through the search). Has anybody heard anything?...

MD added me on linkedin?

PIGS

Umm, a few days ago I was asked by HR to submit a PDF version of my resume because there were problems with the previous one. Then, I went on linkedin and browsed a couple of people working for the firm I applied to, including this MD. Lets call him Adama. Then yesterday I received a linkedin noti...

0 3
UBS Voyager Program 2010

Cpatters

I was just wondering if anyone has heard back for their 2010 voyager program yet? ...

Final Round- Assessment Centres for 2 BBs London

LBObuyout

Hi all, I have been invited to the final round interviews (Assessment Center Stages) with 2 BBs, but I am not sure how to go about preparing for them, especially for the case study exercise. if anybody has any suggestions on how can I prep for the final round especially the case studies, that would...

What's the goal of networking if you're already at a target with a very strong resume?

AstonMartin

Let's say I go to a top target (H/W), have a 3.8+ GPA, prior IBD internship, other finance internships, clubs/activities, etc. Basically a resume strong enough to guarantee first round interviews at almost any BB. So my question is, what should I be trying to gain from networking with alums and oth...

Interviewed two days ago with a BB, Initially after felt good...But now having second thoughts

tzn007

I had a phone interview two days ago with a BB. Initially after I felt good about my performance, but now having some doubts on some of the things. Is it bad when an interviewer doesn't ask a lot of follow up questions to your responses, and you find yourself basically running the show (except for Q...

What's your Office look like?

EpicWinner123

Just wondering what your floor looks like...here at BlackRock, I'm in Ops, but they have it setup like the trading floor (no cubicles, straight tables with 5/6 computers down the line)... pretty much want to know what a IB office looks like for IB/Finance/Ops. I'll be doing a Finance internship at ...

+1
Credit Suisse GMSG

chicago__111

What are the exit ops for GMSG at Credit Suisse compared to IB?...

Omicron Delta Epsilon

PIE

Recently got a letter from my University stating that I was invited to be part of omicron delta epsilon. I know that this is not as significant or well regarded as others but is it worth it to at least put on my resume? I got to a non-target with a 3.4 and will be working at a MM IB come May. Will...

+1
Family and Banking

Barboone

Living in New York is easy to come in contact with bankers. Three nights ago I went out to dinner with a friend who brought a friend who used to work at Merrill Lynch before getting take over by BofA. We got into the whole banking conversation and went on to tell me the hours were not 100 a week bu...

Learning Curve For A Lateral Hire (no Training!!)

lolercoasterrr

I graduated in 2009 from a top-10 school and wasted about a year in consulting before I realized I wanted to transition back into finance. I was fortunate enough to find a great position despite the awful market and am starting in a couple of weeks in the principal investments/merchant banking arm o...

+1
Wall Street is Worthless?

onebuck

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Moelis & Centerview

Barbarian at the Gate

Offers from Moelis LA (2 year program) and Centerview NY (3 year program). Any insight or advice? (And yes I've already used the search function.) ...

Pay For Hire??

WallStreetKid

Is it legal to pay someone to refer you for a position, or help you land a job? I remember a while back some kid posted that he'd give his signing bonus to anyone who got him an IB offer and everyone was like wow dude you got balls and people seemed really impressed that he'd be willing to do that, ...

Hollywood Bankers

Imakeitrain

Any bankers here in the L.A. area? I'd like to here your experiences on the banking culture out here....

anyone hear back from SEO yet?

AstonMartin

For those who applied by the Nov 1 deadline, have any of you heard back yet? When do they notify you?...

+4
Private Message Etiquette

CompBanker

All, I wish I didn't have to post this reminder to everyone, but it seems as though it is necessarily. When you decide you want advice and elect to send a private message, PLEASE do not copy and paste your message and PM it to every user with X,XXX bananas. If you want advice from a broad audien...

Goldman Sachs "Banking on your Future" 12/1 Event

john1986

Hello, Anyone apply to the GS event on 12/1 "Banking on your Future" in NYC? It's an all day Diversity event for non-targets. -John...

+1
UBS Voyager - Anything about this program?

Blago99

Does anyone know anything about this program? How many people are selected and how useful is it for SA recruiting?...

How many cold emails to send before giving up...?

aspiringbankerchick

Hi all, For those of you who've had success networking through cold emails, generally how many emails do you send to an individual before giving up on him/her ever getting back to you? On M&I, Brian advises you to follow up 5-10 times after an initial cold email if you dont get an immediate respon...

Mr. Braverman

Imakeitrain

Just a little appreciation for the brilliance of Mr. Edmundo Braverman. Doesn't he deserve as much? {Applause}. ...

+1
Toughest Athlete on the Planet??

AfricanBanker

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2010/05/14/david-goggins-toughest-athlete-planet/. Makes me feel like a total bitch....

0 10
What is the deadline to apply for Summer Internships if you are applying online?

Troll

I go to a non-target school and I am going to apply online for SA positions in back offices of BBs. I know there are variations, but what's the usual date? Thanks....

Cowen vs. Leerink?

StateLP

Hi All I'm graduating from a semi-target in December, pre-med major, 3.5+ GPA. I'm wondering if anyone could share some thoughts on Cowen Healthcare and Leerink in terms of prestige, deal flow(# and size), and exit opportunities? Obviously I'm interested in Healthcare IB. I know Cowen is a top bou...

Goldman Sach Interview

QuantStudent117

Hello, I am new on this forum and I have a quick question. I was contacted by a Goldman Sach recruiter a few weeks ago. I did not apply for a specific role with Goldman, which sort of surprised me when I was contacted. I then had a phone interview, which I think went well. The question were pretty b...

+2
Help me out on offers. F500 or keep hustling?

fathippo

Hi Guys, Long time stalker, and barely posted. I've got a dilemma. Was just offered a product management internship at a top tech company (think RIM), however it is 8 months long. I have always wanted to get into banking, but after networking extremely hard, and reaching out to everyone imaginable...

They type of people that currently work at Citi IB

dyckman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdQh61ODsnc...

+1 2
leaping from europe to the new world

ametista

I'm a Msc in Management student at a european school. I have an american citizenship, so a Visa wouldn't be a problem. I am curious to know how feasible it is to try a land a job in wall street when a finish my master. I would like to work in IBD in a top boutique/top5 BB (give or take, these ranki...

Pay to Play - Thoughts?

Imakeitrain

So I hear stories about guys actually paying to get internships and even jobs out here in L.A. Your thoughts?...

The Value of Living in NYC

K7691

Hello everyone, I want to pose a question to all those on the boards about the intrinsic and intangible value of living in New York City as opposed to some place nearby for significantly less money. I'm currently in a situation where I can practically live rent free (couple hundred a month all inc...

Petty and uninteresting e-mail format question

treynorblack9999

For some firms with [email protected] e-mail addresses. In this case Evercore... What if there are multiple people with the same last name? I am asking this because I found a banker that I want to reach out to (he is an alumni from my school, He has a decently unique last name, but just to...

Nomura IB Offeres?

Hound

Did anyone recently get an offer from Nomura IB? If yes, it would be helpful if you share whether you accepted. ...

Caris Co vs Montgomery Co

big_bird

Hey guys I am a senior with ...

+1
Sink or swim - first day on the job

krazyk

I started a job very recently at a boutique financial advisory firm as an analyst and feel very lucky to be employed. My first day, however, was like being immediately thrown to a pack of wolves - I was handed a major project and given a vague set of instructions. My boss implied it was "my job to f...

What is a luxury good?

happypantsmcgee

Yes, I know the economic definition of a luxury good but I want to know the Monkey’s definition of a luxury good. (For those that don't, I'll post it at the end) I recently read about a guy who has spent a great deal of time documenting what, exactly, a dollar will allow you to purchase in the su...

If i get into Harvard MBA, are there any reasons not to go?

LevFinGS

Hi Monkeys, Of course it's a big IF - but I'm trying to weigh pros and cons. What are reasons for NOT going to a top 5 MBA?...

GS Industrials and Lev Fin

jnr

Are GS (1) Industrials and (2) LevFin good groups in GS? I am particularly interested in their (i) deal flow, (ii) culture, and (iii) exit opportunities. Only knowledgeable responses, please...

KKR and GS Principal Strategies

WishYouWereHere

Any thoughts on getting into KKR's new hedge fund/prop trading group with all the GSPS guys? Heard good things about KKR as well as GSPS so can't go wrong right? Any advice on getting in? How would working there compare to working at GS Special Situations Group or KKR PE -- better or worse? Thanks...

Bainbridge Interview (M&A)

sherborn

I have an interview for an M&A analyst position at Bainbridge in San Diego on Monday. Can anyone shed some light as to what I should expect? I have the WSO guides and have been hammering the points so I'm ready on tech and fit. Anything in particular I should be aware of? Thanks guys...

what does this mean??? Help!!!

tzn007

I am being interviewed by a "Research associate manager" for a ER summer internship. I just wanted to get a better idea of the job title of my interviewer. Is it a HR position? or an Associate in ER? Little confused. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks...

Voice Questionnaire

fully_amazing

I applied to a MM bank for their IB analyst group and I just received an email saying: "As part of the recruiting process we ask that you complete a voice questionnaire" it gives me a link where I enter my # and it will call me immediately after. The most I could find through Google is that it's pre...

Signing a contract while being contractually employed

alphaclear

Hey fellas. I'm in a bit of a bind and need some advice. I'm currently at a BB doing DCM, which really isn't what I wanted and I took the job just because it was all I had confirmed at the time. Been doing this fulltime for 3 months now, since September. I've also been interviewing and now have an...

Paulson & Co

JBelfort

Is Paulson & Co. simply a hedge fund or do they do any M&A or PE stuff? This might be general knowledge but I wasn't sure and there website doesn't have anything on it really. Thanks in advance...

The Art of War..

SunTzu

I hope most of you have read the Art of War since it is imperative to understand not only war, but competition and interpretation of your opponent in general. Of course, given my name, I think that way. What do you bankers and wannabe-bankers think? Whats the most valuable/ favorite part of the goo...

+2
want to make it rain like blankfein?

balooshi

Alright, everyone on here is all about whats the best path to be on to make it rain baby, etc etc. Well blankfein is the biggest rain maker going around, he pulled in 53mil total comp in 2007!! Where did he start? As a corporate tax lawyer!! So forget about this analyst to MBA onwards etc crap. St...

Life Finance

uppereastside

Anyone familiar with "Life Finance" - which is securitizing structured life insurance products? Is this interesting work - lucrative??...

MA Econ from either Rice or Vandy...

Jude84

Rice and Vandy are two of the three schools that are offering me a free ride into thier MA programs. Which one is the better of the two? I know they're not Stanford or MIT but as far prestige which ranks better? ...

Is it bad that I removed community service from my resume?

NoDCF

Just dont have any more space for it......

Question about the Liquidity Premium

noobmonkey

How can the liquidity premium explain both why publicly traded stocks are valued higher than private stock, and why illiquid assets have higher returns? In the technical questions guide, the liquidity premium is used to explain why a public company is worth more (liquidity and transparency). Howev...

Which Career Besides HF Would Allow Me To Be A "Pro Value Investor" So To Speak?

Ken Griffin

Hi, I know that banking probably doesn't lend itself to value investing, but I'm posting it here since this area gets the most traffic. Basically, I was wondering, besides hedge funds, what career will allow me to basically become a professional value investor for the rest of my life? Would Asset M...

Financial Sponsors groups

sparked

I know this has been discussed before, but the landscape is always changing so I wanted to see if anyone knew much about the following Sponsors groups. Any feedback or input would be appreciated. I am looking for information on culture, quality of people, type of work, and level of modeling/executio...

My Dilemma

Anonymous Monkey

So out of the blue I got an interview and subsequently an offer from a VERY small merchant bank in Montreal, Canada. I would basically be an analyst on a deal team that would consist of 5 people. From asking around, the person running the firm has a great reputation with excellent contacts who had...

MD's Email

matj39

Hey guys, so I'm in a stage of confusion. I recently contacted a family friend who is a JPM MD in London and he told me to send him my resume. In addition, he said that his firm usually only considers juniors for internships. Finally, he offered a time to chat. What does this mean? - Did he jus...

Should I change my flights?

oreos

So here's the situation: I am moving to Canada from the UK to ski for 5 months, I got an interview at my ideal BB which clashed with my first flight times so I moved my flights (to put in perspective I'm a non-target student), and I got through to the final round. However HR are fucking useless and ...

How do I get an interview at JPM or MS?

NoDCF

I went on there site but cannot find anywhere to submit my resume for an internship...

MBA requirements nowadays?

bulge4lyf

So I will be starting at a BB for FT in June and am considering taking the GMAT before I do. I really, really, don't want to go back to business school if possible. I've never really enjoyed being in school and really don't want to go back if I don't have to. With that said, how much of a requireme...

Does M&A actually help companies?

firefighter

Does M&A actually help companies? I know studies say 1/2 of M&A fails but that can be due to a variety of factors, but still I hear that culture clashes, layoffs, and difficulties transitioning the business often hurt the companies at the end. Obviously distressed situations or things like Google ...

+1
Listing concentration GPA on resume

MF7791

Hi all, I go to penn, and am doing a finance concentration. My cumulative gpa is decent, but not a stellar as I would like. Doing a finance concentration means that one takes 6 finance courses, 2 intro and 4 upper level. In my two intro courses, I have a 4.0 average. I wanted to know if it is al...

Morgan Stanley Virtual Campus Day

candlestreetbound

Has anyone ever heard of the Morgan Stanley Virtual Campus Day? I was recently invited out for the event in early December and wondered if anyone had ever gone through it or know how it is structured....

How do I know if I can legally work in the UK?

Cash4Gold

Some personal info to help: - I am a US citizen - I have a passport - I have no criminal record Is there any additional paperwork I need to work in London or am ok with just my passport? Will an employer take care of it for me? Sorry for the ignorance, I have not been outside the country minus Ca...

+2
Prospective SAs and Late Stage FT - General Advice

squawkbox

For those with first round interviews coming up, here are some critical questions you need to think hard on: 1) Why Investment Banking / Finance in general? 2) Why S&T or IBD or PWM **specifically**? You need to know exactly what the roles are for an analyst in each one 3) Why the specific bank...

+4
The Prestige Race

firefighter

I know this forum and Wall Street as a whole places a large premium in prestige, and so have I (not willingly but just the way I was raised I guess) but it's really a race you cannot win. Remember how happy you were when you got into Harvard, Yale, or Princeton? Well, once you get in, you're not gon...

+2
Cold Emailing MDs and Board members, Heads of Banks

tzn007

I've got my hands on some great alumni databases which give me access to contacts of MDs, boardmember, and regional head of different banks. I was thinking of cold emailing a few, one for each bank that I still haven't heard back from after making my internship applications. So what do guys suggest ...

Analyst / Associate Program after experience

nyc-matt-2k

Have you ever seen people with experience (1-3 years) get into a Analyst or Associate program? I have seen people work after undergrad for 1-3 years and then somehow were able to get into a Analyst program. Likewise, I have also seen people work after an MBA or JD and do maybe compliance for 3-4 y...

How much time between an application and the other?

ametista

Ok, so it's quite a bit I've been asking myself: if I apply for a SA position, after how much time can I re-apply? The rationale for this being that I'm a uni student. If for example i apply when I'm attending my last bachelor degree year, can I re-apply one year after while attending a Msc in fina...

Mckinsey Vs. Jefferies Associate

happygreenbuck

Hello, I am in a top 3 B-School, and have offers from Mck - Ops Practice (Chicago) and Jefferies IBD (NYC) for full-time Associate positions. Please advice. My analysis so far: Personal: My background is 2 yrs in Oil & Gas, 3 years as CEO of middle market manufacturing business, 6 months VC, and ...

How a deal trickles down to an analyst level?

treynorblack9999

Hi all, I was looking around and I couldn't really find a comprehensive post that describes the life of a deal. E.g. Senior bankers get rumors of the deal or start landing a deal, all the way to getting a staffer to staff associate / analyst to get grunt work done. Assume the bank is advising on ...

WSO Rumor Mill: Associate Compensation, Full-Time Offers

WallStreetOasis.com

Some numbers out of the rumor mill for Associate offers this year: BoA - $100k base, $30k signing bonus, $10k relocation Goldman Sachs - $100k base, $40k signing bonus, $10k relocation Morgan Stanley - $100k base, $40k signing bonus, $10k relocation Please share any additional #s you have in this...

+2
On average Blackstone employee makes $2.995 million per year...Goldman is $300K

JambaMan

What do you think about the enormous pay difference between the most prestigious private equity firm (Blackstone) and the most prestigious investment bank (Goldman)...

Oppenheimer - Waitlist to offer?

Hound

Anyone who was placed on their waitlist got an offer? ...

GPA Resume Accident

throwaway123

Senior in college here; I accidentally overstated my resume GPA by .03 points, 3.55 to 3.58. This was not intentional, and I feel completely retarded. I've accepted a full time position with a top 15 bank and am wondering if anyone has advice on whether to bring this up to anyone or not. My curre...

Tips: Running A DCF

PIE

Does anyone have tips to run a quick and dirty DCF for a company? Or any good templates to use for that matter? I have the WSO one but it is a bit more than what I want. Whats the length of time that it would take you to do one? ...

Asset Mang. to M&A?

texlonghornz2

So just got an offer for an AM that purely deals with endowements and non-profit AM. My other offer is middle/back office of a bulge. I eventually want to get to M&A. Which would be the best route to get there. If you renege on a back office deal does anyone actually care? thanks. ...

Need some advice: things didn't go quite as planned

timelesswanderer

So I went through ft recruiting as a senior, hunting primarily for an equity research gig mixed with some consulting (heard that there are some ER firms that look for strategy consultants). Got painfully close on a couple (waitlists...), but now I'm left with a middle office valuation role in a BB (...

Blackberry/PDA

number1monkey

I just bought a Blackberry from Verizon and then this offer came. Now the bank is giving me another Blackberry. Should I carry around 2 Blackberrys or if there is a way I can waive the bank's berry and just my existing one?...

Summer Associate Applications

fox2237

I noticed a lot of the banks have deadlines before the MBA first semester is even finished. Do you apply without a GPA? JP Morgan's summer associate deadline is December 12th and I am in the midst of finals at that time. I am trying to figure out if I am better of waiting on applications so that I ...

Silverlake, BX, Bain Cap

highlylevered88

Wanted to see if anyone knows post-undergrad 1st yr Analyst and post-banking 1st yr Associate pay for the above firms...thanks...

Securities Licenses for M&A?

ERguy

Hi I was wondering what kind of licenses do you need to work as a junior member of an M&A group? Are they required? ...

Bourne Partners- Boutique in Charlotte, NC

nontarget

Has anyone heard of Bourne Partners in charlotte nc? any inputs would be appreciated ...

A new addition to the applicants hall of fame

derivstrading

Move over Vayner, Chiang, Gao, Duke kid with RBC website, theres a new applicant on the prowl to score some of that sweet ibd jobs...meet [redacted]....

Barclays Capital IBD Associate Base Comp

bankerone

I am looking to get some base comp information for Barclays Capital IBD associates. Associate 0 Associate 1 Associate 2 Associate 3 I tried to look through several posts, but couln't find info specific to BarCap associates. Thanks in advance....

Background Check Paranoia

bbhopeful

After filling out the background check, I am getting quite paranoid about losing an offer... even if I have nothing to hide. What if an employer I worked for in the past hated me and decides to trash me on the background check? What if I accidentally messed up a date when filling the form out? I am ...

Advice would be appreciated

GutShot

Got a buddy of mine who's in this situation (not just being hypothetical or bluffing for myself), would appreciate honest feedback. He deferred his analyst stint at a top BB (GS/MS/JPM) in order to volunteer for two years (Americorps/TFA/Peace Corps). Now that's he's approaching the start of his fi...

Do Bankers Entertain Clients?

PIE

Working in a Sales/Broker oriented SA position I have seen the fair share of entertaining of clients (games/concerts/dinners) While it seems like IB analysts are at their desks for the majority of the time, do VP's/Associates "entertain clients" or are most meetings done in the board room in the bu...

" Chinese acquisitions - China buys up the world"

BonsaiBanker

Chinese acquisitions China buys up the world And the world should stay open for business Nov 11th 2010 "IN THEORY, the ownership of a business in a capitalist economy is irrelevant. In practice, it is often controversial. From Japanese firms’ wave of purchases in America in the 1980s and Vodafo...

How do companies perform salary reference checks?

ERguy

lets say Candidate X is interviewing with JPMorgan. Does JPmorgan call Goldman Sachs (Candidate X's current employer) to speak with HR and just ask how much he was making there? I feel that Goldman Sachs would be less likely to reveal their numbers. Besides, don't candidates just lie about their pre...

Bonus in Singapore

Igo

Do you guys have any idea of what bonus can be expected for an IB 1st yr Associate in Singapore (very good Euro bank but not BB)? Thanks. ...

Golden Key Honor Society

qaz123

Is Golden Key Honor Society worth joining? - I've heard mixed reviews. Some say its legit and rivals Phi Beta Kappa. - Others say its useless. Please advice. Thanks in advance....

+2
Cost of Capital vs. WACC

New Yorker

Concise interview answer to what the difference of cost of capital vs WACC? What is the Cost of Capital vs. the WACC? When talking about discount rates, the term “cost of capital” and ”WACC” are sometimes used interchangeably - but it is important to draw a distinction between the two. Put ...

Pls help: M&A or McK CF for getting in IBD?

bell

Currently working in a M&A house (not ibank) as Associate and got an offer for McK CF Associate. Since I'm looking to move to BB/2nd tier IBD Associate and wondering which path will give me a higher chance. (p.s. I don't have an MBA but 2-3 years of M&A experience). Does anyone know whether there'...

+2
PE Interview question - Help!

Vz

I got this question in an interview, I was wondering how you would answer it. There's two companies - let's say apple and blackberry. Apple has a higher valuation than Blackberry and it may have a higher return. If you're looking at this from a LBO perspective, how would you determine which one to...

Goldman Names 110 New Partners

net2adeolu

Slow news evening, thought I should share. Besides, I never knew you could actually lose you partnership at Goldman. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/goldman-names-new-partners/...

Pages